PDA

View Full Version : Awakened Zombie get use of caster levels?

Delta_tea
2020-09-19, 02:48 AM
For some reason I got it into my head that some how a zombie who was a caster before death, could be awakened undead and become a caster again. I'm probably wrong, but please let know if there's any chance or way to make it work! Thanks.

ShurikVch
2020-09-19, 06:27 AM
It's strongly depends on: which type of spellcaster it was

If it was racial non-divine spellcasting - like a Dragon - then it's OK, presuming awakened zombie have sufficient casting stats (remember - Awakened Undead is limited at maximal Int 8)

If it was divine spellcaster - then it would depend on: if their patron deity accepts Undead followers (or - if our Zombie would be able to select another patron)

Zombies - if it was 1 HD creature with class levels - when awakened, should count as level 2 in their class (unless DM would rule those 2 HD are "racial" rather than from class levels)

If you want to try to regain the whole class abilities, then try the Emancipated Spawn PrC (Savage Species)

Delta_tea
2020-09-19, 09:42 AM
It's strongly depends on: which type of spellcaster it was

If it was racial non-divine spellcasting - like a Dragon - then it's OK, presuming awakened zombie have sufficient casting stats (remember - Awakened Undead is limited at maximal Int 8)

If it was divine spellcaster - then it would depend on: if their patron deity accepts Undead followers (or - if our Zombie would be able to select another patron)

Zombies - if it was 1 HD creature with class levels - when awakened, should count as level 2 in their class (unless DM would rule those 2 HD are "racial" rather than from class levels)

If you want to try to regain the whole class abilities, then try the Emancipated Spawn PrC (Savage Species)

Actually yes, its a Steel Dragon with 11 Sorcerer levels. So its Charisma based and not Int. He took a -6 hit when turned into a zombie but I can work with it. Ok thanks, I'm not crazy!