PDA

View Full Version : Cristal-powered Weapons and Armors

Bluelantern
2007-11-01, 07:11 PM
A friend told me that there is a similar thing in magic item compedium, but my idea is a little diferent.

The idea is a magic weapon with slots, where you can put magical cristal that give the weapon power, without the cristal the weapon is normal, but with they works like a regular magical weapon, but it has more versatility because you can change the cristal to give weapons more usefull powers.

The numbers need and will to change, but I will use as a base the same value of a magical weapon of similar power, and I use those so you can understand what I want to do.

Every magical cristal have prices purely based on multiples, for every +1 bonus that the cristal gives, it costs 1.500 GP, so a cristal that gives +3 bonus costs 4.500 GP

The weapon however is a little diferent, the cost would be base as a regular weapon minus the cost of the cristal to give it full power

So a Cristal weapon +1 costs 500 GP, while a Cr.Weapon +3 costs 13500 GP.

+1: 1500 (Cristal)+500(weapon)=2000
+3: 4500 (Cristals)+13500(weapon)=18000

Cr.Weapons can hold a Cristal for each bonus that gives, so a +3 Cr.Weapon can hold 3 Cristal's, you can feel the weapon with 3 Cristal's that each give +1 of bonus, or a single Cristal that gives +3, or two Cristal's, one that gives +1 and other that gives +2, it is impossible to push the weapon beyond its limits, so you ain't gonna get a +9 if you feel the weapon with 3 Cristal's of +3 bonus (it is more likely that the thing you explode :smalltongue: )

The main advantage is that you can have several Cristal's with different powers and change the weapon for the occasion instead of buying new weapons.

So I guess, I made my logic understood, I want to have the cristals with a fixed price because I think it is better to the math and the balance, while the weapon price gets much more expensive.

Any sugestions?

Justyn
2007-11-01, 07:24 PM
A friend told me that there is a similar thing in magic item compedium, but my idea is a little diferent.

The idea is a magic weapon with slots, where you can put magical cristal that give the weapon power, without the cristal the weapon is normal, but with they works like a regular magical weapon, but it has more versatility because you can change the cristal to give weapons more usefull powers.

The numbers need and will to change, but I will use as a base the same value of a magical weapon of similar power, and I use those so you can understand what I want to do.

Every magical cristal have prices purely based on multiples, for every +1 bonus that the cristal gives, it costs 1.500 GP, so a cristal that gives +3 bonus costs 4.500 GP

The weapon however is a little diferent, the cost would be base as a regular weapon minus the cost of the cristal to give it full power

So a Cristal weapon +1 costs 500 GP, while a Cr.Weapon +3 costs 13500 GP.

Cr.Weapons can hold a Cristal for each bonus that gives, so a +3 Cr.Weapon can hold 3 Cristal's, you can feel the weapon with 3 Cristal's that each give +1 of bonus, or a single Cristal that gives +3, or two Cristal's, one that gives +1 and other that gives +2, it is impossible to push the weapon beyond its limits, so you ain't gonna get a +9 if you feel the weapon with 3 Cristal's of +3 bonus (it is more likely that the thing you explode :smalltongue: )

The main advantage is that you can have several Cristal's with different powers and change the weapon for the occasion instead of buying new weapons.

So I guess, I made my logic understood, I want to have the cristals with a fixed price because I think it is better to the math and the balance, while the weapon price gets much more expensive.

Any sugestions?

You spelled "crystal" wrong. And I have to point out that the growth of magic weapon/armor cost is exponentional and equal to: (total bonus squared X 1000).

Behold_the_Void
2007-11-01, 07:26 PM
So, slotted weapons from Diablo II?

Anyway, first off, spelling is Crystal. Not trying to be mean but my inner spelling nazi is raging.

Basically, if I'm reading this right it just means it's cheaper to get magic items. That seems pretty easily abusable to me, honestly. Why not just say your weapon is powered by magic crystals that give it x enhancement? That's basically what it's doing here.

adanedhel9
2007-11-01, 07:28 PM
The Magic Item Compendium has crystals which do something similar. Doesn't cost you anything extra in the original weapon, but you have crystals that do things like make your weapons harder, enable you to deal crits to undead, make it easier to swim in armor, etc. It's actually a pretty cool system.

Bluelantern
2007-11-01, 07:38 PM
The Magic Item Compendium has crystals which do something similar. Doesn't cost you anything extra in the original weapon, but you have crystals that do things like make your weapons harder, enable you to deal crits to undead, make it easier to swim in armor, etc. It's actually a pretty cool system.
I know, but mine is more powerfull because uses bonus like the ones of normal magical weapons

Anyway, first off, spelling is Crystal. Not trying to be mean but my inner spelling nazi is raging.

You spelled "crystal" wrong. And I have to point out that the growth of magic weapon/armor cost is exponentional and equal to: (total bonus squared X 1000).

ieSpell said that it was with "i" >.<

Also, my logic, it is that while the cristals alone don't have a exponential cost, the complete set of Weapon+Cristal does has. =)

So, slotted weapons from Diablo II?

More like "Ragnarok Online" but with Cristal instead of cards

Basically, if I'm reading this right it just means it's cheaper to get magic items. That seems pretty easily abusable to me, honestly. Why not just say your weapon is powered by magic crystals that give it x enhancement? That's basically what it's doing here.

is not the same, because you can change the powers that you weapon has. plus a Cr.Weapon without any cristal is useless (well, not totally, but is not very usefull).

Behold_the_Void
2007-11-01, 08:15 PM
is not the same, because you can change the powers that you weapon has. plus a Cr.Weapon without any cristal is useless (well, not totally, but is not very usefull).

If that's the case you should be paying MORE for the versatility.

And even in RO it ranges from being impossible or very difficult to remove cards from slotted gear. Diablo II has much the same system, so I'm not sure where you're getting the removing part, not to mention you have no posted mechanics for how removing crystals works.

Bluelantern
2007-11-01, 08:26 PM
If that's the case you should be paying MORE for the versatility.

And even in RO it ranges from being impossible or very difficult to remove cards from slotted gear. Diablo II has much the same system, so I'm not sure where you're getting the removing part, not to mention you have no posted mechanics for how removing crystals works.

I know that it needs to be more expensive, I just used the above numbers so people get the idea. Any price sugestions?

And I din't say that it was exactly like RO, but it is more inspired in it than Diablo II, mostly because I never played Diablo and have no idea that it had it in there.

I am not sure what are the removing mechanics that you talked about... It is quite simple in my head, to remove the crystal from the weapon you just need to pull it or push it if you want to put the crystal in there. The Weapon slots adapts for the shape of the crystal and hold it. I would say it should took less than a minute to do it.

Behold_the_Void
2007-11-01, 08:34 PM
The current system from Magic Item Compendium requires a move action to remove or insert a crystal, as I recall. This is a huge thing. If it takes a set period of time, like say, a minute, you can't alter it in the heat of battle. Being able to switch your enhancements at will is a huge benefit.

Also, a lot of special abilities are equivalent of a higher enhancement bonus. Saying it's a bigger crystal, while viable, seems odd since you have little slots set. Unless you want to do it like Materia where there are some connected slots to allow for larger crystals.

As far as pricing, I dunno. Half-again as much, perhaps? Also remember, +2 enhancement bonus shouldn't be achievable by stacking a +1 and a +1 crystal, or we hit the "it's cheaper" problem again.

Bluelantern
2007-11-01, 09:20 PM
The current system from Magic Item Compendium requires a move action to remove or insert a crystal, as I recall. This is a huge thing. If it takes a set period of time, like say, a minute, you can't alter it in the heat of battle. Being able to switch your enhancements at will is a huge benefit.

no discusion in there buddy o/\o

Also, a lot of special abilities are equivalent of a higher enhancement bonus. Saying it's a bigger crystal, while viable, seems odd since you have little slots set. Unless you want to do it like Materia where there are some connected slots to allow for larger crystals.

Actually I wans't thinking that more powerfull crystals would be much bigger, they might look more powerfull, but all crystals (at least how Imagine) should have no more than a inch or two in diameter.

Even so, the weapon magically adapts to the crystal shape, so you can have orb-like crystals or star-shaped crystals or whatever.

As far as pricing, I dunno. Half-again as much, perhaps? Also remember, +2 enhancement bonus shouldn't be achievable by stacking a +1 and a +1 crystal, or we hit the "it's cheaper" problem again.

Actually, I want EXACTLY that to happen, to be able to put two +1 crystals to get a +2, but in a way that is not "cheaper", I would solve the problem with making the the extra cost go to the sloted weapon. So, while te crystals are cheap, the weapon for they gets astronomical costs only to be able to hold them.

see, the total prices are the same of regular magical weapons with the same bonuses. I just need to multiple it by and make it balanced.

if I follow you sugestion of a x1.5 a +3 Cr.weapon and all crystals that gives it full power would cost 27.000. The logic, is keeping the balancing by making the weapon still costing exponentially even when the crystals cost the same.