PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Legend Lore & Deck of Many Things

AncientOne
2020-09-20, 01:04 PM
Our long campaign is nearing its end, so I figured 'why not give them campaign ending magic items' and gave some hints for players to find the deck.

However, I have no idea what I should tell them when the cleric casts Legend Lore. In fact, there are very few examples on how to respond to this spell in internet (that I could find, at least). So, any ideas?

Chronos
2020-09-20, 01:13 PM
If they don't have the deck at hand, then a Legend Lore spell will tell them, basically, that they can draw cards from the deck, with random outcomes, some very good, and some very bad.

If they do have the deck, then the spell will tell of some specific examples of great people of the past who have drawn cards, and what befell them.

Of course, in either case, feel free to dress it up in poetic or florid language.

The Outsider
2020-09-20, 01:22 PM
If they're planning on using the spell to help them find the deck, then possibly give them a brief story- something like a greedy king who drew from the deck hoping for wishes, but instead vaporized all of the kingdom's wealth and lost the deck in the ensuing chaos. Legend lore is all about revealing information through stories, at least in my interpretation. Impress upon them the awesome power, awesome costs, and random chance of the deck while revealing its last known location.

Unoriginal
2020-09-20, 01:34 PM
Good advice above.

Another thing you could do is to roll on the Deck of Many Things card table as if you were the one using it, then invent a story based on someone drawing those cards, ending with a clue on what happened to the deck afterward. Do this a few times and when/if Legend Lore is used, pick one of those stories to tell.