PDA

View Full Version : Mining colony (homebrew setting creation)

zinycor
2020-09-20, 07:29 PM
So am thinking of creating a new campaign setting. It would be a science and sorcery setting set on a lonely mining colony on an asteroid.

Then suddenly! The station loses contact with the other stations and no space ships seem to be available.

The game would be highly episodic every time the characters would be exploring the ship, looking to fix something, investigate what happened that isolated the ship, fighting weird aliens (Probably re flovored monsters).

A very deep space feeling, but maybe less horror.

What do you all think?

Boci
2020-09-20, 08:41 PM
This set up can certainly be fun. Sci-fi and fantasy are tricky to mix, but with a few houserules and the right group it will no doubt be fun. Refluffing monsters as aliens will work, there are 3 books to choose from and many fill fit this game, what are you doing for technology? Won't help for actual rules, but for ideas, availability and the like, there is Starfinder, a science and sorcery version of Pathfinder, a version of D&D 3.5. It has the usual sci-fi stuff, vibroblades, lasers, anti matter guns.

zinycor
2020-09-20, 08:45 PM
This set up can certainly be fun. Sci-fi and fantasy are tricky to mix, but with a few houserules and the right group it will no doubt be fun. Refluffing monsters as aliens will work, there are 3 books to choose from and many fill fit this game, what are you doing for technology? Won't help for actual rules, but for ideas, availability and the like, there is Starfinder, a science and sorcery version of Pathfinder, a version of D&D 3.5. It has the usual sci-fi stuff, vibroblades, lasers, anti matter guns.

I imagine the magical items will be refluffed in some ways to show them as technological. But am not opposed to have more technology or specific items.

And thanks, I'll surely check out Starfinder and what pathfinder book would help?

EggKookoo
2020-09-20, 08:50 PM
I imagine the magical items will be refluffed in some ways to show them as technological. But am not opposed to have more technology or specific items.

And thanks, I'll surely check out Starfinder and what pathfinder book would help?

One problem I've had adapting fundamentally magic-based stuff like D&D to a more of an SF setting is the question of magic just being some kind of advanced technology. Can magic items be mass-produced? Can "spellcasting" be automated? What happens when you mix supercomputers and spells? The answers to these end up being core to the setting.

Also, with advanced tech comes better ranged combat, but games like D&D seem to encourage melee often as not. Might or might not need to address that.

zinycor
2020-09-20, 09:30 PM
One problem I've had adapting fundamentally magic-based stuff like D&D to a more of an SF setting is the question of magic just being some kind of advanced technology. Can magic items be mass-produced? Can "spellcasting" be automated? What happens when you mix supercomputers and spells? The answers to these end up being core to the setting.

One would be able to mass produce the items, but since the setting is more like a mega dungeon, I don't see that happening.

, with advanced tech comes better ranged combat, but games like D&D seem to encourage melee often as not. Might or might not need to address that.

What has been everyone's experience with modern and futuristic weapons on the DMG?I might just use those.

Joe the Rat
2020-09-21, 08:33 AM
Well, I've got a few stops on the function-aesthetic continuum for you

1. Spelljammer. Wooden Ships and Iron Men in Space. What tech there is is magic-powered or guns. Space travel requires magic. Gravity is closer to CS Lewis than I Newton.

2. The Aeronaut's Windlass. Post-apocalyptic hyperionized world with a steampunkish aesthetic. It's all winches and sails and power crystals and lightning guns, culture vats for growing resources, and breathing apparatus for the toxic ground. There's a type of insane wizard (aetherist) that can eschew the crystal-tech devices and "do magic."
This was the direction I ended up going with my current Shattered Seas. By default, magic is accessed/created by devices - Artificers are the primary source of magic in the world, with a decidedly "brass tubes, runes, and glowing crystals" aesthetic. But you also have Sorcerers, who have an Innate connection to magic, and can just "cast spells" (There is also magic provided by 'Spirits' from nature mote to god scale, but that's another story). Consequently, no Wizards. I'm leaning a bit into Eberron for the role of artifice, basically replacing the majority of technological advancement.

3. Treasure Planet. Quality of the film aside, it really nails the retrotech perspective of a sailing space navy. Laser guns and swords, ropes and winches and solar sails and ion thrusters. Nonsensical in terms of plausibility, but it gives you an idea that there are somethings tech does well (shoot stuff, scanners, holograms, cyberlimbs and flying vehicles), leaving plenty of room to add magic as an adjunct feature. Another one that can lean on Eberron, save that you replace most of the Artifice "Magic" with Technology.

4. Star Wars. There is Technology, and there is The Force. They don't play well together. Functionally it's a High Fantasy Low Magic setting: Magic is exceedingly rare, yet is a major driver of Events. This is probably the hardest to model in 5th, since so many classes are magic-aligned. 90% of your magic items are replaced by tech equivalents.

zinycor
2020-09-21, 08:37 AM
Well, I've got a few stops on the function-aesthetic continuum for you

1. Spelljammer. Wooden Ships and Iron Men in Space. What tech there is is magic-powered or guns. Space travel requires magic. Gravity is closer to CS Lewis than I Newton.

2. The Aeronaut's Windlass. Post-apocalyptic hyperionized world with a steampunkish aesthetic. It's all winches and sails and power crystals and lightning guns, culture vats for growing resources, and breathing apparatus for the toxic ground. There's a type of insane wizard (aetherist) that can eschew the crystal-tech devices and "do magic."
This was the direction I ended up going with my current Shattered Seas. By default, magic is accessed/created by devices - Artificers are the primary source of magic in the world, with a decidedly "brass tubes, runes, and glowing crystals" aesthetic. But you also have Sorcerers, who have an Innate connection to magic, and can just "cast spells" (There is also magic provided by 'Spirits' from nature mote to god scale, but that's another story). Consequently, no Wizards. I'm leaning a bit into Eberron for the role of artifice, basically replacing the majority of technological advancement.

3. Treasure Planet. Quality of the film aside, it really nails the retrotech perspective of a sailing space navy. Laser guns and swords, ropes and winches and solar sails and ion thrusters. Nonsensical in terms of plausibility, but it gives you an idea that there are somethings tech does well (shoot stuff, scanners, holograms, cyberlimbs and flying vehicles), leaving plenty of room to add magic as an adjunct feature. Another one that can lean on Eberron, save that you replace most of the Artifice "Magic" with Technology.

4. Star Wars. There is Technology, and there is The Force. They don't play well together. Functionally it's a High Fantasy Low Magic setting: Magic is exceedingly rare, yet is a major driver of Events. This is probably the hardest to model in 5th, since so many classes are magic-aligned. 90% of your magic items are replaced by tech equivalents.

Thanks a lot, I'll be sure to check on those

Mercureality
2020-09-21, 02:31 PM
So am thinking of creating a new campaign setting. It would be a science and sorcery setting set on a lonely mining colony on an asteroid.

Then suddenly! The station loses contact with the other stations and no space ships seem to be available.

The game would be highly episodic every time the characters would be exploring the ship, looking to fix something, investigate what happened that isolated the ship, fighting weird aliens (Probably re flovored monsters).

A very deep space feeling, but maybe less horror.

What do you all think?

I know this is the 5e forum, but. . . I think there are about a dozen different systems that would make this game run more smoothly and more fun with 1/10th of the work on your part. Everything from a generic system like Genesys, to a sci-fi specific system like Stars Without Number, to a Powered by the Apocalypse hack like Scum & Villainy, to a very rules-lite Fate setting. There are many, many more.

That said, it can be really hard to get players who have learned one system to adapt to a new one. Just be warned that the D&D skill list is inadequate for non-fantasy settings, it doesn't handle primarily social settings well at all compared with other systems, and you're going to be constantly bumping up against the 5e ruleset.

zinycor
2020-09-21, 02:35 PM
I know this is the 5e forum, but. . . I think there are about a dozen different systems that would make this game run more smoothly and more fun with 1/10th of the work on your part. Everything from a generic system like Genesys, to a sci-fi specific system like Stars Without Number, to a Powered by the Apocalypse hack like Scum & Villainy, to a very rules-lite Fate setting. There are many, many more.

That said, it can be really hard to get players who have learned one system to adapt to a new one. Just be warned that the D&D skill list is inadequate for non-fantasy settings, it doesn't handle primarily social settings well at all compared with other systems, and you're going to be constantly bumping up against the 5e ruleset.

Thing is, the way I picture this setting is a megadungeon. And most other systems I know don't have the focus on combat that I would love for this game to have.

But maybe there is system around there that I just haven't tried out yet. Any recommendations on a game more focused on combat (like dnd5e) that is set on a sci fi setting?

Joe the Rat
2020-09-21, 02:51 PM
Thing is, the way I picture this setting is a megadungeon. And most other systems I know don't have the focus on combat that I would love for this game to have.

But maybe there is system around there that I just haven't tried out yet. Any recommendations on a game more focused on combat (like dnd5e) that is set on a sci fi setting?

Honestly, Starfinder is probably close to what you are after. It's literally Pathfinder in Space, with high tech, spaceships, and a rejiggered magic system.

zinycor
2020-09-21, 02:53 PM
Honestly, Starfinder is probably close to what you are after. It's literally Pathfinder in Space, with high tech, spaceships, and a rejiggered magic system.

Thanks a lot. I don't really like pathfinder but I'll certainly take look.

Mercureality
2020-09-21, 06:52 PM

For a combat heavy sci fi setting with magic, I'd probably still try Genesys supplemented with some of the rules from the Genesys 40k Dark Heresy hack, presuming that I had access to a roller for the specialized dice. (Our groups use a discord bot). It's got lots of appropriate skills, stuff that specifically addresses piloting and mechanized vehicles, ranged combat, melee combat, social abilities, magic -- you name it. Yeah, it's more narrative with lots of rolls yielding mixed results and fail forward mechanics, but it's also crunchy enough to go for specific character builds and a somewhat more detailed combat experience.

That said, there are a BUNCH out there, so google search will be your friend. I bet if you dropped the /r/rpg subreddit with a clear explanation of what you're looking for, you'd get a bunch of helpful suggestions. This thread might be useful to you:

https://www.reddit.com/r/rpg/comments/a0fv55/scifi_rpg_with_tactical_gamist_combat/ Lots of stuff in here I've never even heard of like Strike! that seem well regarded.

Other options:

Traveller
Latest version of Eclipse Phase
If you want heavy simulationist crunch, the latest version of Shadowrun might have you covered especially well. Sure, it's cyberpunk rather than scifi, but it'll have magic, cybernetics, ranged and melee combat all in an integrated system.

Also, based on a little research, apparently there's already a 5e sci fi reskin called Esper Genesis on drivethru? Should be able to adapt that to fit your needs quite well.

zinycor
2020-09-21, 06:58 PM
For a combat heavy sci fi setting with magic, I'd probably still try Genesys supplemented with some of the rules from the Genesys 40k Dark Heresy hack, presuming that I had access to a roller for the specialized dice. (Our groups use a discord bot). It's got lots of appropriate skills, stuff that specifically addresses piloting and mechanized vehicles, ranged combat, melee combat, social abilities, magic -- you name it. Yeah, it's more narrative with lots of rolls yielding mixed results and fail forward mechanics, but it's also crunchy enough to go for specific character builds and a somewhat more detailed combat experience.

That said, there are a BUNCH out there, so google search will be your friend. I bet if you dropped the /r/rpg subreddit with a clear explanation of what you're looking for, you'd get a bunch of helpful suggestions. This thread might be useful to you:

https://www.reddit.com/r/rpg/comments/a0fv55/scifi_rpg_with_tactical_gamist_combat/ Lots of stuff in here I've never even heard of like Strike! that seem well regarded.

Other options:

Traveller
Latest version of Eclipse Phase
If you want heavy simulationist crunch, the latest version of Shadowrun might have you covered especially well. Sure, it's cyberpunk rather than scifi, but it'll have magic, cybernetics, ranged and melee combat all in an integrated system.

Also, based on a little research, apparently there's already a 5e sci fi reskin called Esper Genesis on drivethru? Should be able to adapt that to fit your needs quite well.

Thanks a lot I'll be sure to take a look.