PDA

View Full Version : How Big Would FF Planet Be?

unseenmage
2020-09-20, 08:52 PM
TLDR How big would a single planet that had a different continent for each FF game's content be?

It's been a hot minute since I played a Final Fantasy game. That said I was reintroduced to FF d20 (https://www.finalfantasyd20.com/) tonight and my IRL playgroup has decided to add it to our shared universe as an alien planet around another star.

I said sure, each FF game's content just gets it's own continent. Its crystal magic, we can do what we want.

But now I find myself curious. Just how BIG would a planet with every FF game's content on it be? For that matter how many unique moons would it have to have?

Ken Murikumo
2020-09-21, 10:50 AM
Well, for starters: ff7 & 9 maps are WHOLE PLANETS, not just a few continents. So right there is 2 whole planets worth of surface IN ADDITION TO the other 18 or so games.

Also, 8 & 13 involved a moon or moon like satellite of some kind in the plot.

Silly Name
2020-09-21, 10:57 AM
Well, pretty enormous. Counting just the mainline games, almost every single FF is a world-spanning adventure taking the characters across multiple continents at the very least, and sometimes even featuring planetary travel or moving between worlds that have been split in two.

Now, at least in the first few games most of those landmasses were pretty much window dressing and there were few cities per continent, usually in the single digits. Of course the implication being that there are probably other cities and villages you simply don't visit, but it's interesting to note that ~20 people make up the population of entire kingdoms. Maybe FF nations are actually super small.

Falcos
2020-09-21, 11:06 AM
Something else to bear in mind is that there are two mmorpgs in the FF list, both of which have large, expansive worlds. A single planet that encompasses all FF games would be positively gargantuan, and would have at least a half dozen or so moons.

Remuko
2020-09-21, 11:24 AM
Might be easier to have a star system, that has a planet for each FF game, orbiting it.

DeTess
2020-09-21, 12:04 PM
You could probably condense things a bit by making use of the fact that a bunch of other FF stories are cannon to the history of FF14 in some way or another, but FF14 on its own is pretty much a full-size world.

Tvtyrant
2020-09-21, 12:18 PM
TLDR How big would a single planet that had a different continent for each FF game's content be?

It's been a hot minute since I played a Final Fantasy game. That said I was reintroduced to FF d20 (https://www.finalfantasyd20.com/) tonight and my IRL playgroup has decided to add it to our shared universe as an alien planet around another star.

I said sure, each FF game's content just gets it's own continent. Its crystal magic, we can do what we want.

But now I find myself curious. Just how BIG would a planet with every FF game's content on it be? For that matter how many unique moons would it have to have?
Depends on if we are utilizing conservation of detail sizes or canon sizes. If you only count things that happen as being very close together and the wilds as being relatively small in fact, most of the games are a couple small islands in size. If you use the canon sizes the planet would be gargantuan.

PhoenixPhyre
2020-09-21, 12:23 PM
You could probably condense things a bit by making use of the fact that a bunch of other FF stories are cannon to the history of FF14 in some way or another, but FF14 on its own is pretty much a full-size world.

It's more than a full-size world. It's (canonically) 14 full worlds, although 7 of them no longer exist and one has collapsed into the void. Plus canonically access to other worlds (dragons and Omega came from two other "star"s).

Yeah. The OP's request would be better done with something like a Dyson Swarm--you need an insane amount of space. And the physical laws don't exactly match and aren't really compatible.

Palanan
2020-09-21, 12:40 PM
Another option might be to use a gas giant with a number of terrestrial-sized moons, similar to the Yavin or Endor systems.

Those moons probably won't have moons of their own (https://earthsky.org/space/can-moons-have-their-own-submoons), so if the "planets" need moons to accurately emulate the FF-verse, then you could combine Remuko's suggestion with the Firefly 'verse (https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/firefly/images/7/71/Verse.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/1000?cb=20180719152308), using a multiple-star system with an abundance of planets and moons.

Ignimortis
2020-09-21, 11:24 PM

That's not exactly true. FF14 riffs on FF3 and FFT, and makes references to several other games in the series (FF XI and FF XV promotions actually say that people from those games come from another universe), but those stories are still vastly different in outcome and proportion.

Frankly, almost every FF game is its' own planet (I'm not sure about 12 or 13, and I know 15's playable space is just one continent with some extra islands). What I'd do is make a quasi-FF planet - i.e. take elements from the series, but build it up as a separate Final Fantasy-like thing. There would be gunblades, chocobos, someone important named Cid, some sort of magical crystal, an inordinate amount of young adults with stellar looks and wild hair, etc. No need to try and fit everything that's canon in various FF games into one planet - it'd burst.

Lans
2020-09-22, 12:41 AM
I would start with figuring out how fast the air ship goes and seeing how long it takes to go across the map