PDA

View Full Version : Your favourite and least favorite class

Sindal
2020-09-21, 03:11 AM
Hi yall.

Its been a while since I've done one of these and I felt like hearing people's point of view again.

So, simple question

-What is your favorite and least favorite 5e class and why?

•You need not have played the class to count them for either role.
•Remember that this is about your preference and isn't strickly about how competitive they are or how they perform.
•single classes only plox. Get your sorcadins outta here haha.

Mine:
Favourite:Ranger (the revised and variant versions even more so)

♡Ranger was the first class I played and I've moved all the way from playing revised ans then the variant option on the same character. I enjoy what the class tries to do (be an abled bodied adventurer for most situations) and enjoy its 'striker' style game play in xombat while still having a few tricks available to them for other things. I'd really love to get to play more of the varianr rules because they've been fun so far. It may not be thr most efficient compared to other classes, but its got its own alluring style and flair to me that the other martials simply couldn't replicate.

Least favourite: Wizard

◇ I find most of the classes interesting in their own way so picking a least favorite boils down to 'which class would I try last' . This would be wizard for me. Wizards are cool, but I'm just a teensy but more inclined to try the other classes first before him. Its probably because wizards can be so wonderfully broad that I get more excited at other charadter concepts who are a little more focused.

That's mine
I'd love to hear everyone else's :3

Chugger
2020-09-21, 03:28 AM
I think my least favorite is monk - if you haven't seen Treantmonk's rant on 5e monks on YouTube (yes, the irony is amazing), it's a hoot.

My favorite? I've been wanting to play Sorcadin ever since I found the amazing guide for Sorcadins here on GitP - but - I have yet to figure out how to roleplay a Sorcadin, how to bring it to live, how to make it a character I'd have fun playing and roleplay well and so on (I've yet to find its "personality") - and I've learned it is horrible to play a character, at least for me, if I don't feel it - if it doesn't feel real to me.

OgataiKhan
2020-09-21, 03:43 AM
My favourite is Bard. It has access to all of my favourite spells, is a great party face which I enjoy, and has a fun controlling playstyle.
I don't like the musical flavour though, so my Bards tend to be lawyers, politicians, riddle-masters, and similar charismatic but non-musical beings.

My least favourite is Barbarian. The "dumb brute" flavour really doesn't appeal to me, and I find the "I rage and attack" playstyle very boring.

Jerrykhor
2020-09-21, 03:50 AM
Favourite: Warlock

Many people see this as a dip class, and one of my favourite moments is defying that notion and proving to them that a single class warlock can be good.

I also like the fact that warlocks are very customisable through mixing and matching invocations, patrons, pacts, feats and spells. They are very flexible in terms of party roles, background fluff and RP lore.

Least favourite: Sorcerer

Sorcerer has disappointed me both mechanically and narratively. They look a lot better on paper than actual play. I have been frustrated with many of their features, from the tiny number of spells known, to the lack of sorcery points, and Metamagic's application. They are not as flexible as advertised, and they feel very restrictive in play. Also, every time i discuss this class with other people, it seems their mechanics are always misunderstood. Not many people fully understand how Font of Magic works, what spell can be twinned or not, how Subtle mm works etc, leading to a warped opinion on the class. 'No, i did not take Careful metamagic, and no, i cannot swap it out like spells.'

I could write an essay on this, but I'll stop here.

Waazraath
2020-09-21, 03:54 AM
Favourite: Paladin. Great in both fluff and mechanics. Very cool features, very durable and can fullfill a number of roles in the party.

Least favourite: Bard. Not that I dislike the class (I played it in an earlier edtion and had lots of fun with it), but it's probably at the bottom of my list when a new campaign starts. The conceptual niche is it fulfills isn't that big, between both the entertainer background and other cha based spellcasters. And I dislike the squishyness at the early levels.

diplomancer
2020-09-21, 03:55 AM
Favourite: Bard
Least Favourite: Rogue

Justification: all the fun scoundrelly hijinks involve Cha, not Dex. What's fun about hiding? On the other hand pulling the wool over people's eyes...

Kane0
2020-09-21, 03:59 AM
Most favourite is Warlock for a combination of flavor, unique mechanics and customisability that appeals to me.

Least favourite is Druid because ive never felt drawn to the fluff and its one real unique feature feels really binary between the centrepoint of your build or basically a ribbon

KorvinStarmast
2020-09-21, 09:37 AM
I think my least favorite is monk - if you haven't seen Treantmonk's rant on 5e monks on YouTube (yes, the irony is amazing), it's a hoot. He's also basically wrong. (We had a thread about this a while back). I like playing monks.

I have yet to figure out how to roleplay a Sorcadin Go for Divine Soul origin, fits paladin nicely.

My favorite class: impossible to say, but I like to play clerics since that role is rarely chosen in our group.

I enjoy the heck out of Warlock.
I love a Paladin.

After watching my nephew do his thing, it occurs to me that I'd like to play a Scout/Rogue. I'd not appreciated that archetype until I watched him in action.

Ashrym
2020-09-21, 09:38 AM
Favorite: bard

Bards match some mythology I like very well, the Renaissance-style-skilled-in-multiple-areas is a good concept, the class is very customizable to match concepts, and they generally always have something to contribute.

They are fun to play.

Least Favorite: ranger

I can have fun with any class, but if I picked a least favorite it would be the ranger. Mostly because the Drizzt et al inspired characters in games over the years got old, but also because the class feels boring to me.

Aett_Thorn
2020-09-21, 09:44 AM
Favorite: Bard. Lots of flexibility and difference between the subclasses

Least Favorite: Fighter (despite having played more of them than anything else). They just feel so one-dimensional in combat with few tactical choices unless the DM is setting up good environments. And very little utility outside of combat on most archetypes.

jaappleton
2020-09-21, 09:51 AM
Favorite: Monk*. There’s an asterisk there. Love the flavor, love the abilities. But Monk has a very big deficit and it’s not even the fault of the class; There’s a huge lack of magic item support for the Monk. It can totally be fixed with some homebrew, but Monks are designed with so many features triggering specifically off Unarmed Strikes and there’s no magic items (save for the Insignia of the Claw, an adventure specific item) to support those.

Least Favorite: Fighter. My goodness do I HATE Fighters. Whenever I’m building a character I stare at Fighter and think, “Why not just be a Paladin, Barbarian or Ranger instead?”. They’re so boring and while they certainly WORK just fine, there’s nothing at all appealing to me about the Fighter.

cutlery
2020-09-21, 09:53 AM
Favorite: Fighter - because melee combat is awesome and they can be great at it.

Least favorite: Fighter - because that's often the only realm in which they are even adequate.

Protolisk
2020-09-21, 10:33 AM
Favorite: Warlock.

Not many classes get ad many choices as a Warlock does. Subclass, pact, invocations, spell choices, its a lot of choices for interesting design. Not a fan of multiclassing, but it does allow for interesting options even without Hexblade.

Least Favorite: tied between PHB Ranger and Sorcerer.

PHB ranger is a class design that is almost wholly separate from the rest of the classes. Variant ranger integrates a lot to make it work similar to other classes. Sorcerer shares too much design space with Warlock while its "unique" feature, Metamagic, is just rehashed features other classes typically get for free (Note Evocation wizard compared to Careful Spell, for instance).

Wildstag
2020-09-21, 11:36 AM
Favorite: this is going to be controversial, but I actually like the Ranger, its spell list is very fitting thematically and it does fit well to the idea of the original Ranger. The downside is in their lack of reliance on the d6/8 that so many other classes rely on. Hunter's mark being a spell instead of just being the damage bonus to Favored Enemy was the big downside, and it wouldn't be too hard to just give Ranger that d6/8 since Rogue and Paladin get them handed out for free.

But the abilities fit well the theme of the class, and the expanded subclasses from XGtE are fun (and even beastmaster is fun).

Least Favorite: Warlock. I really dislike how it was just made to be a "magic fighter". The 5e design mindset of "we don't make subclasses with multiclassing in mind" (despite multiclassing NOT being a variant rule like Feats) has failed completely in Warlock, where it's almost exclusively made to eclipse Fighter and features more prominently than any other class in multiclass builds.

It's very customizable but also not, because a warlock that neglects to take certain options is inherently weaker than those that don't. Enough people complain about "why take roleplay options" that it's just obnoxious. Certain invocations should be built into the class itself.

Daphne
2020-09-21, 11:46 AM
Favorite: Fighter. It's a simple and "fair" class, and allows very broad archetypes unlike the Paladin or the Barbarian.
Least Favorite: Druid, I simply not like the concept.

despite multiclassing NOT being a variant rule like Feats
Multiclassing is a variant rule.

Pex
2020-09-21, 11:56 AM
Favorite is a tough choice. I lean towards Sorcerer, but then Artificer arrived and Genie Warlock is being born making me interested in playing the class again. I'll stick with Sorcerer as being my favorite, but it has competition.

Least favorite is Ranger. I can find no fun value in playing one. Hooray for those who play and enjoy Rangers. I cannot. I also cannot play and enjoy single class Rogue, but I have been able to play and enjoy multiclassing into the class so it wins out over Ranger.

Wildstag
2020-09-21, 12:44 PM
Multiclassing is a variant rule.

Yeah, I see that now. The headers for that chapter don't mention "optional rule" for multiclassing or feats. It only includes them under that banner with a single sentence on 163 "this chapter defines two optional sets of rules for customizing your character: multiclassing and feats".

Realistically, it'd be better formatting to actually list "VARIANT" somewhere in the header, and I know they've done that in a few things since.

It still doesn't really change the fact that Warlocks are designed in a way that makes them just better Fighters overall, and their expanded class options give them the ability to effectively have two Fighter archetypes for free. Or at the very least, they get the selling point for Champion but none of the rest of it.

Lyracian
2020-09-21, 01:04 PM
So, simple question
-What is your favorite and least favorite 5e class and why?
•You need not have played the class to count them for either role.
Well that is Ranger and Monk off the list!

•Remember that this is about your preference and isn't strickly about how competitive they are or how they perform.

Mine:
Favorite: Bard
I like skill monkey characters and this adds full casting! I usually play Rogues or Wizards so this and Arcane Trickster combine my favorite choices. Wizards are more powerful and would be my next pick.

Least Favorite: Warlock
Played one and found it very boring. Not a fan of the design either.

Amechra
2020-09-21, 01:10 PM
Favorite: It flip-flops between Barbarian and Monk. What can I say, I like being able to get away with not using equipment.

Least Favorite: It's a three-way tie between Bard, Paladin, and Wizard.

I dislike Wizards because they're just Goodstuff, The Class. Similarly, Bards rub me the same way, which is a shame, because "Party Cheerleader" is one of my favorite archetypes, and the 5e Bard isn't that anymore.

As for Paladins... well, my first ever 5e campaign involved me playing a Paladin. And that campaign died in such a fiery trainwreck that it pushed the DM to not speak to some of the players ever again. It was really bad, and now I can't look at the Paladin without getting flashbacks. To the point where I've basically mentally deleted the class and replaced it with the Celestial Bladelock.

Waterdeep Merch
2020-09-21, 01:26 PM
My favorite's paladin. I play paladin in every game it's offered, or the closest thing to it if there is one. They happen to also be really fun in 5e, so I keep finding even more excuses to play them. One time my party really needed a rogue, so I played a halfling ancients paladin with the criminal background. That's how much I love paladin.

I rarely actually get to play, and I've played a paladin like 70% of the time I've played 5e, so technically my least favorite played class would have to be cleric. I enjoyed it and think it's a great class, but I didn't like it as much as the other four classes I've gotten a chance to play (paladin, fighter, wizard, and mystic). It could be a little inactive compared to the other four, and sometimes I was reduced to using a wet noodle of a cantrip while waiting for someone to get hurt so that I could be relevant again. I'd play one again, though.

Edea
2020-09-21, 01:36 PM
Favorite: Sorcerer, from a flavor/concept perspective.
Least Favorite: Sorcerer, from a mechanical perspective (hence why I waste so much time trying to write up homebrew for it).

Tvtyrant
2020-09-21, 01:46 PM
Favorite: Druid, followed by Alchemist. I like having a lot of options every day.

Least Favorite: Ranger. Splits the head space of Barbarian and Druid, plays like a Fighter/Rogue.

ThatoneGuy84
2020-09-21, 02:26 PM
Favorite Classes.
#1 Monk - Shadow specifically.
Some reasons, I like mobility, i like hit and run skirmishing, i enjoy the ninja fluff/feel to the Shadow class specifically. - Bonus when I can take alittle rogue dip and pick up assassin if the campaign will be higher level.
#2 Paladin - Straight class, has a very "dnd good guy" feel, extra points for some team buff, extra points for some extra burst dmg when needed.

Most hated class - Bard
Some reasons - I found it ridiculously boring to play, that being said the 2 Bards I tried, Lore and Valor also didnt really feel like they shined in the group that much.

After thought - Most chars I enjoy are "Gish" builds, so some other enjoyable classes i have played include but arent limited to.
Warlock - Blade pact
Wizard - Bladesinger
Battlemaster/swashbuckler Rogue

zinycor
2020-09-21, 02:30 PM
Favorite: Clerics. I love their customization and roleplaying weird characters around the god they praisr.

Least favorite: Warlock. I don't like the limited spellcasting. Why can't they cast like anyone else? I hate that. But otherwise I like it a lot.

micahaphone
2020-09-21, 02:36 PM
My favorite is barbarian - getting to be the immortal hunk of flesh that can do nearly anything feels great. I help my friends, I do lots of damage, I laugh at the arrows of enemies, I can do superhuman feats, it's mechanically encouraged to play a bit reckless, it's fun!

My least favorite is actually fighter. If I wanted to be a melee martial, I'd play a barbarian. If I wanted to play an archer I'd play a ranger. I got many gripes with the ranger and it's poor implementation, but at least it has something out of combat other than the standard race/background proficiency.

firelistener
2020-09-21, 02:41 PM

My favorite? I've been wanting to play Sorcadin.

The literal first reply lmao.

My favorite is Barbarian. I love the combination its relatively simple concepts for a very versatile class. They can do so much with raw strength, and there's very few times even a low level Barbarian will fail a strength check when raging. Their extra movement speed makes them great at making sure they're in the thick of combat, and grappling helps them move enemies away from squishy ranged allies. Danger Sense is an amazing boon for weathering fireballs or dungeon traps. The Barbarian makes a great pointman for any party in danger.

My least favorite is probably Bard. I've never had much interest in them, and I don't really enjoy their jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none style. They can be helpful all the time, but they rely really heavily on other party members to be most effective. For similar reason, I don't like Rogues much, but I think they have some really cool bonus actions and features that put them above Bards for me.

JumboWheat01
2020-09-21, 06:04 PM
Oof, this is a hard one...

Favorite Class - Bard
I just like Bards in D&D in general, mechanically a support class, meant to make others better at what they do, they also fill in a non-combat roll for when you're in town or something of the like. The fact that 5e has turned them into such a flexible class just adds onto the love. Do I want to be predominately melee? Got Valor and Swords to cover that. Sit back and cast? Lore fills in quite nicely. Sneaky social focus? Got that set up in Whispers. Plus Vicious Mockery is just a fun cantrip.

Least Favorite Class - Ranger
I had to think long and hard on this. Conceptually, I love rangers. They're a skilled warrior with just a bit of spell casting to get themselves by. They have a nature flare, which is nice, but still remember they're part of a civilization. Mechanically, however, they seem to be made for a facet of the game that is just so rarely used, exploration and survival. They have the fewest spells on hand for any class with spellcasting not tied to an archetype, and heck, even including Eldritch Knights and Arcane Tricksters, they still have fewer! (At least before Xanathar's, then they have the second lowest, with Sorcerers taking the cake for innate casters.) I'll still play rangers, though, as I love the concept of them.

Honorable Mentions
Favorites - Cleric, Fighter

Least Favorite - Sorcerer

MrStabby
2020-09-21, 07:47 PM
Favourite: Bard

The mechanics are loaded with flavour but its so easy to add on your own fluff. The class can cover so many characters. Unlike say the wizard, the bard just feels a bit more focussed. It feels like it isn't missing a theme. Being strong in the social pillar also appeals to me as I think it contains a lot of fun.

Least favourite - depends on if feats are in play.

If they are, then barbarian. You hit stuff. Sometimes you hit stuff harder for a bit. It just doesn't change. Ok,maybe you throw in a grapple or whatever but basically combat looks pretty much the same from levels 1-20.

If no feats, then fighter. Like the barbarian but just without the barbarian's flavour.

There is some kind of irony that were I to be playing fighter or barbarian, a class that is pretty much just good at combat (in terms of mechanical benefits) then I would also find combat so dull and repetative that I would be actively trying to avoid the one pillar of the game I would be getting bonuses to.

Evaar
2020-09-21, 08:00 PM
I'm going to speak with regard to mechanics. Flavorfully, I can get behind any class. It depends what concept I have in mind.

Favorite: Warlock. This is partly because I build characters more than I play, although I have been playing a lot lately. Warlocks just have so many options, I really like the flexibility. The class has some problems at high level, and the low level design is problematic for dips, but overall I really enjoy picking out a Patron, a Pact Boon, Invocation, Spells Known, Arcanum... and then also maybe a familiar, rituals, extra cantrips, what weapon I'm going to use, you get the idea. Lots of choices, lots of ways to fine tune a concept.

Least Favorite: Monk. Sort of inverse to Warlock on the build, there aren't all that many options for making a Monk. And my experience of playing it was pretty terrible. I felt like I was just zipping around the battlefield and accomplishing... nothing, really. But I sure was running all over. Until I got targeted and taken out with a few decent ranged attacks. Maybe I'd try it again, but I really do think they need some redesign to allow them to do cool and useful things more often - especially at low level. It's odd because I came into 5e with Monk being one of my favorite classes, and the 5e design has been so uninspiring that I've even found myself uninterested in Monk-based concepts.

Luccan
2020-09-21, 08:11 PM
Favorite: Wizard. I wouldn't say this on gut instinct. I wouldn't say any class on gut instinct, in fact, because I have at least one or two things like about all of them. But if I look at the characters I've played/made/wanted to play, the majority in 5e are wizards. I honestly can't say why, except that I like arcane spells and also there are a lot of cool concepts to be made with wizards this edition.

Least favorite: I've been vocal about not liking most Ranger features and at least half their initial subclasses. I think the Sorcerer has been severely mistreated. I don't really care for Bards going from Jack of All Trades to Masters of Several, Adept at Everything. I hardly ever play Cleric. But my least favorite is Barbarian. I don't hate it, but it seems so boring. Almost every feature you get ties into combat, usually in a fairly non-active way. And naturally a lot rides on your Rage. I have one barbarian concept I've built and other than that I haven't once been tempted to play the class.

sayaijin
2020-09-21, 08:12 PM
My favorite class is the rogue - especially arcane trickster subclass. I find myself wanting to make room for two levels of rogue in any build I make because I love always having tactical things to do with my bonus action. I wish skill checks could keep up with or surpass magical solutions to problems, but since they often don't, I like the arcane trickster. I love the tension of the all or nothing damage of sneak attack, and the fact that it keeps pace with most non-optimized builds so that I don't have to feel like I'm power gaming or taking the spotlight too much.

Least favorite is warlock. I like the flavor and gameplay, but it's such a powerful dip, I feel like I need two levels.

heavyfuel
2020-09-21, 09:27 PM
Favorite: Wizard

It should come as no surprise. You get something really cool every level, so you're never bored out of your mind doing the same thing over and over and over again.

Least Favorite: Barbarian

For a class that is the epitome of "I attack", it certainly does a really crappy job at attacking. Pretty much any martial other than the Monk can outdamage a Barbarian. To add insult to injury, the only subclass that doesn't 100% revolve around "I attack" is also probably the worst Barbarian subclass. The Storm Herald somehow manages to be even worse than the Berserker, whose only bad level is lv 3.

Yakmala
2020-09-21, 10:09 PM
Favorite: Warlock: I have played multiple Warlocks. I've never multi-classed them. I love the flexibility. Pick a Patron. Pick a Pact. Pick Spells. Pick Invocations. There's just so much you can do with them! I tend to favor Invocations that give my Warlocks at-will abilities. Illusions at will. Speak with dead at will. Read all writing at will. Always on detect magic. More than any other class, Warlocks feel like they have super powers. The interactions between character and patron can lead to excellent roleplay if your DM is willing. My personal favorite combo is the Celestial Tome-Lock. I'll be playing a Genie Patron Warlock in Icewind Dale and I look forward to playing a Lurker in the Deep.

Least Favorite: Sorcerer: The Sorcerer is the opposite of the Warlock. Limited spells known. Limited ability to modify the limited spells with meta-magic. My abilities just exist. No back and forth with a greater power. No searching for and researching new spells like Wizards. Your mileage may vary, but I find Barbarians more interesting and flexible than Sorcerers.

Frogreaver
2020-09-22, 01:08 AM
Favorite: Rogue
What I love about the rogue, mobility and stealth.

Favorite Rogue: Cooter - Hillbilly Archer (great at guerilla warfare and general outdoorsy stuff. Not the brightest, not good with people)
Woodelf Rogue for the longbow and 35 move speed
Starting attributes: 12/16/14/8/16/8 (I find dump stats fun to roleplay)
Expertise: Stealth and Perception
Subclass Assassian (ensured advantage and sneak attack on the first turn even when I go first)
Level 4 ASI - Sharpshooter

Precombat Playstyle:
Scout ahead and initiate combats from long range and then harass enemies as I fall back to main party. (This playstyle can get boring for the rest of the party so don't abuse it. Tends to be more fun for the party in Dungeons albeit less effective.)

Alternatively (when applicable) you can shadow the party a few hundred feet (keeping them in sight and while hopefully remaining stealthy). This tends to be much more effective than it may sound at first.

In Combat Playstyle:
You use your mobility to elude enemy attackers. You mostly focus attacks toward enemies engaged with the main party to free them up. You make liberal use of the bonus action hide, which if done every turn after you have have already fired makes you hidden so ranged enemies have a harder time dealing with you and you still get advantage every turn you are able to maintain this.

It's a very enjoyable build and playstyle (not the strongest though).

Least favorite: Warlock
Every time I set down to want to make/play a warlock I end up with a wizard or sorcerer or bard instead.

RedDragonAlexis
2020-09-27, 04:59 PM
Favorite: Sorcerer, particularly Draconic Bloodline. The flavor they have is amazing, and the multiclass builds involving sorcerer (particularly sorcadin and sorlock) are very fun. You can even do stuff like dip into draconic sorcerer as a rogue for better AC and some fun spells. Besides, the flavor of your character being descended from a dragon and having powers resulting from that is just perfect to me! There should be more dragon-themed subclasses in 5e. Personally, I think they need more spells known, and sorcerous origin spells. It's very weird to me that they don't have spells automatically added to their lists like clerics and paladins get.

Least favorite: Barbarian or ranger, I guess? I don't HATE them at all, I'm just not drawn to them as much as I am other classes. I know not every barbarian has to be roleplayed as a big dumb brute, and you can even flavor rage as something else entirely (I like the idea of rage being flavored as being possessed by a spirit partner like a dracolich), and ranger doesn't have to be just an elf with a bow, but I just don't think of any fun ideas for them unless I'm actively trying to come up with a barbarian or ranger, and even then my ideas aren't as appealing as they are for other classes.

Ir0ns0ul
2020-09-27, 09:42 PM
Favorite: Fighter (Dwarf!)

I really love the classic ironclad dwarven warrior with all the stereotypes we can imagine. I have played several ones with different builds, backgrounds and contexts, but the traditional image of a grizzly dwarven battlemaster wielding his battered shield alongside an axe is really appealing to me.

Least favorite: Druid

I kind like the nature vibes and all, but I rather emulate that with a vegan Wizard or Nature Cleric. Wildshape is also an ability that it’s totally unappealing to me.

Hellpyre
2020-09-27, 09:57 PM
My favorite is Wizard: There's always cool options to work with in spells, and breaking physics gives you more leeway to find creative solutions to problems.

Least favorite is easy - Ranger: Everything I want out of a Ranger, I can get better on a Fighter. If I had 3.0 style animal companions, I might want to play it some. But generally, I just feel like I'd rather roleplay a ranger with a different mechanical chassis.

sithlordnergal
2020-09-27, 10:44 PM
Favorite Class: Druid

Probably my favorite class simply because of how much it can do. Moon Druids are my favorite subclass since I can easily swap from being a spell caster to a frontline tank at will, and the Wild Shape gives you so much versatility. While Druids do have a distinct lack of high damage spells, Xanathar's sort of fixed the issue with several decently damaging spells like Erupting Earth, Sunburst, Sunbeam, ect. You always have something you can do, and its super easy to change things up in an instant. You can go from tank, to support caster, to battlefield control, to damage dealer all in the space of one or two turns.

Least Favorite Class: Barbarian and Warlock

These two are probably my least favorite classes. Barbarians are just too straight forward for my tastes. You Rage, run up, and smack things. You don't really have many interesting choices as a Barbarian and it gets boring fast. They're basically big bags of HP that are hard to take down. I dislike Warlocks because they have too few resources available to them. You only get two spell slots for the majority of your time playing one, and you don't get nearly enough Invocations to make up for it. You end up just using Eldritch Blast over and over again and it gets really boring really fast.

patchyman
2020-09-28, 07:13 AM
Favorite: Changes from day to day but currently I would have to say druid. I’ve really come around to land druids enabling a lot of neat concepts from elemental masters to spider adepts, and I am really excited to try one.

Least favorite: Barbarian. It’s really tough to get excited about a class whose main schtick is MOAR COMBAT with a smattering of non-combat abilities. At Fighters get the extra feats.

elyktsorb
2020-09-28, 07:37 AM
Favorite: Druid.

Gosh I love Druids, just in general, if a game has a Druid class I'm probably playing it. Though I do sort of hate some aspects of Druid right now and wish other druid subclasses were better.

Least Favorite: Ranger.

Honestly I just don't know what to do with a Ranger thematically.

Sigreid
2020-09-28, 07:51 AM
Favorite is wizard because I play this game to be able to do things and have a level of personal freedom that are impossible in real life.
Least favorite: Warlock. I just don't like the feel of it. The whole pact thing doesn't sit well with me.

Arcturus
2020-09-29, 05:27 PM
Favorite: Warlock - for their awesome fiction and story hooks.

Least favorite: Warlock - for their incredibly awkward rules implementation.

Nhorianscum
2020-09-29, 05:46 PM
Favorite: Sorc

Least: Wizard

It's a purely personal preference that comes down to the playstyle and feel of the classes.

That said even my least favorite is something I'll break out and play because Indo still enjoy it.

ironkid
2020-09-30, 10:29 AM
Fave: geez, so many. Currently I'm loving the Artificer; but I really liked the Barbarian, the Cleric, the Wizard and The Druid. Paladins and Warlocks are awesome, but I've yet to play one in this edition

Least: Fighter. So plain. Not a bad class, and even less of a bad dip, and I know flavor comes from the character not from class/race, but I find them completely uninteresting. Oddly, I got the same feeling from Hexblade/paladins - I've yet to see such a character that isn't a minmaxer that simply wants to "win" and doesn't feel artificial - don't get me wrong, it's important to me to make a capable, powerful character, but they must also be interesting and a good roleplay. The Hexadins I've seen have barely either taken at least lip service to their oath nor even casually mentioned their pact at all.

5eNeedsDarksun
2020-09-30, 04:03 PM
Favorite: This is really hard, as I love playing DnD and there are great options. I've really enjoyed playing a Life Cleric, Sorcerer, Ranger, and Paladin with a bit of Rogue in him. Despite the OP's urge not to mention MCs, the Inquisitor (Paladin/ Rogue) was probably my favorite if I had to pick one.

Least Favorite: I don't quite 'get' the Warlock, and mechanically I don't want to play a caster who relies on spamming a cantrip most of the time. However, my least favorite, because I think it has deviated too much from a "Jack of All Trades" (and a character I would like to play) to become a full caster is the Bard.