PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew Concept for Artificer Battlesmith

FonkinJones
2020-09-21, 04:53 PM
Hey folks. This is my first time posting here. I have been playing with a battlesmith in my campaign who really wants to dig into the tinkering aspect of his character. He's not particularly a powergamer and I wanted to open up some options for him to play with without overpowering his character, although he probably wouldn't take advantage it of either way.

The idea here is I want to open up a crafting system for him to make alterations to his defender. Each ability comes in the shape of a Modification accessory that requires time, resources, and a bit of luck to build. Each ability comes with a downside as well so it's always a trade off. (Enhanced speed balanced with removal of darkviion + cannot communicate with artificer)

Let me know what you think of this draft form.

Using Mod Abilities & Power Points.
Using a Mod’s ability takes no action unless specified.

Each Mod grants your defender a different ability. Each ability costs a number of Power Points. Your defender has a pool of power points = to 1/2 your Artificer Level rounded down. (ex. A level 9 Artificer’s defender has 4 power points). A short rest recovers 1 power point, while a long rest recovers the entire pool.

Equiping your Mods:
Your defender may only equip one mod at a time. Switching out the mod requires the Artificer to spend a full round (taking up an Action, Bonus Action, and even the Reaction for the round) to remove the current Mod, and to install the new one. The defender therefore cannot act this round either.

Building Mods:
ReeBuild time must take place in a mechanists shop in order for use of equipment. The use of a master’s mechanists shop provides Artificer advantage when Making final ability check.

The artificer must first research the Modification to be constructed for the required time, and then can attempt to build the part, which takes the time indicated below. At the end of the build time, they are able to make 1 final Tool proficiency check at 1d20Roll + Int Modifier + Proficiency Bonus. If it beats the DC required, the Accessory is made. If the check fails, 50g worth of materials is wasted and the build time is reset (but not the research requirement). The next check made can be made with a +2 circumstancial bonus, culmulative with each failed check. (Ex. An artificer who fails to make an accessory 2 times, will receive a +4 bonus on their third attempt)

1 Day of time assumes 8 uninterrupted hours of research/work. Artificers may rush this by working for 16 hours a day, but after the final check is done, will receive levels of exhaustion = the number of days rushed. Rushed days count as 2 days of work. This means an Artificer who somehow rushes more than 6 days of work will on completion of the process die from exhaustion.

Abilities:
Mod Name: Compressed Air Pistons (costs 1 Power Point)
Ability / Downside +1d8 Dmg for Forced Power Rend for 3 rounds/ All saves at 0 and -2 AC for duration
Cost:600 Gold in Iron, Copper,and fine electrical parts.
Research: 4 day
Minimum Build Time: 1 Day
Build DC: 23

Mod Name: Enhanced Coil Tendons (Costs 1 Power Point)
Ability / Downside: Speed Doubled for 1 minute / Loses Darkvision and ability to communicate to master for duration
Cost: 200 Gold worth of Platinum Alloy
Research Time: 3 days
Build Time: 1 Day
Build DC: 24

Ability Name: Mirror Veil (costs 2 points)
Ability / Downside: Invisibility to itself and 1 person riding up to 3 minutes / Neither the defender or rider may attack while invisible, if time limit expires or if defender takes any damage while invisible, invisibility fails and defender is disabled for 1 minute.
Cost: 500 G worth of Delerium +100 gold, +400 G worth of Diamond Dust.
Research Time: 5 days
Build Time: 2 Days
Build DC: 25

Mod Name: Electrified Plating (costs 2 power points)
Ability / Downside: Melee Attackers take 1d8 Lightning damage per attack on either hit or miss / Melee and Ranged attacks (but not spells/abilities requiring saves) deal + 1d4 damage lightning damage to Defender.
Cost: 800g (specific material components TBD)
Research Time: 3 days
Build Time: 2 days
Build DC: 28

Mod Name: Shock Battery (Costs 3 power points)
Ability: Enables Defender to deal 2d10+2 lighting damage to all creatures in 10 foot radius. DC 14 Constitution for half damage. Creature is stunned for 1 round on failure. / Defender must hard reset after attack and is stunned for 2 rounds.
Cost: 1000g (material Components TBD)
Research Time: 4 days
Build Time: 2 days
Build DC: 27

Also exploring the ability to let them try to create new custom abilities with downsides I will determine at a much higher material and time cost.

Let me know your thoughts on this. Feedback very much appreciated.