PDA

View Full Version : Brew potion questions

eyebreaker7
2020-09-22, 06:56 AM
Brew Potion [Item Creation]
Prerequisite
Caster level 3rd.

Benefit
You can create a potion of any 3rd-level or lower spell that you know and that targets one or more creatures. Brewing a potion takes one day. When you create a potion, you set the caster level, which must be sufficient to cast the spell in question and no higher than your own level. The base price of a potion is its spell level × its caster level × 50 gp. To brew a potion, you must spend 1/25 of this base price in XP and use up raw materials costing one half this base price.

When you create a potion, you make any choices that you would normally make when casting the spell. Whoever drinks the potion is the target of the spell.

Any potion that stores a spell with a costly material component or an XP cost also carries a commensurate cost. In addition to the costs derived from the base price, you must expend the material component or pay the XP when creating the potion.

Is there any official rules for making more than one potion at a time? I mean I can make ONE potion at a time? Can I at least make one of a few different ones at the same time? Or do I have to spend the entire day making a single lonely potion? Say maybe 3 potions of a 1st level spell, or 2 of a 2nd level spell or 1 of a 3rd level spell? There has got to be some rules out there to make more than ONE potion per day?????

Zanos
2020-09-22, 07:23 AM
As far as I know it's just one. Long crafting times are the norm in 3.5, high end magic items can take months to complete.

You can have a dedicated wright craft in your place if you don't want to sit around and do it yourself.

Darg
2020-09-22, 09:03 AM
Use metamagic to increase the effectiveness of the potion for a 0 net cost increase. More bang for your time. That is unless you take the "cast as a higher level spell" literally in the metamagic description and impose a minimum caster level (does well to balance DMM tbh).

You can have a dedicated wright craft in your place if you don't want to sit around and do it yourself.

Or do it simultaneously for double the output. Creating an army of simulacrums could be beneficial once you hit 13 as long as you picked out brew potion early.

Biggus
2020-09-22, 10:43 AM
This question was asked before, there are several options: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?275261-Faster-potion-brewing

ShurikVch
2020-09-22, 10:52 AM
Master Alchemist PrC (Magic of Faerūn) - at 9th level, able to brew up to 4 potions/day

Darg
2020-09-22, 08:51 PM
Master Alchemist PrC (Magic of Faerūn) - at 9th level, able to brew up to 4 potions/day

Welp, I know what I'm playing next at the table.

sreservoir
2020-09-23, 12:49 AM
The SpC printing of quick potion lets you make a potion that lasts 1 hour/level in about a minute, with no further costs on top of that. If you have prep time, you can cast a few quick potions and extended quick potions before you go to sleep and have them still be usable when you wake up.

Gemma's cauldron (Expedition to the Undermountain 217) has a few ... interesting qualities, some of which might be useful depending on what exactly your constraints are.

The first effect is to let you brew a potion in "half the time (4 hours instead of 8 hours)." It doesn't say you can brew two potions with it, but some cursory digging doesn't seem to turn up a reason why you can't make two magic items in a day other than the 8 hours/day limit that I can see?

The second effect lets anyone brew potions without needing to take the Brew Potion feat itself (without the time reduction). This could be plausibly useful if you can get a few extra living bodies to work the thing. I uh, don't see any reason you can't have your familiar or whoever or something operate it, as long as you finagle it any of the way to meet the spell prereqs (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#prerequisites).

The third effect lets anyone convert scrolls to potions. There's no particular indication that this actually requires any more than the usual standard action to activate (and all the other function do specify how long they take), nor a hint of a daily limit. This is interesting in its own right because there are a few ways to make specifically scrolls without spending time on it, like the quill of scribing (CM 133), or, even more interestingly, the autoscribe (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cw/20070326a).

It's also a bit unclear how this works with scrolls with multiple spells on them, which the treasure tables indicate definitely exist, but which nobody writing the rules ever seemed to remember (except the writeup for the caster's shield, which explicitly only holds a single spell, but is also dysfunctional because it rolls on the medium scroll table (not the minor scroll table) despite only being able to hold scrolls up to 3rd level) so I'm not sure there's any RAW for actually creating a scroll with multiple spells ...

The fourth effect has the cauldron creates a CLW potion 1/day in 4 hours for 25 gp worth of material and no specified xp cost.