PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Invoking classes

Greenflame133
2020-09-22, 03:24 PM
Everything around warlock is written in a way that suggests the existence of additional invoking classes. However, I only know of a Warlock (Unleaded Arcana) and Dragonfire adept (Dragon Magic). With prestige classes only really working for warlocks as DTA's Breath Weapon doesn't scale with prestige classes anyways. Are those only two invoking classes in all of D&D 3.5e? Is there more? Perhaps there is a 3pp material you would recommend.

Godskook
2020-09-22, 03:38 PM
No official 3.5 invokers other than those two, afaik.

ShurikVch
2020-09-22, 03:50 PM
Not a class, but Aspect of Chernovog - from Expedition to Castle Ravenloft - have some Warlock abilities: Eldritch Blast, Beshadowed Blast, Frightful Blast, Hideous Blow, Hideous Blow

Particle_Man
2020-09-22, 03:51 PM
There are a few prestige classes, if that helps, but they piggyback on the base classes.

Arguably, the Kineticist of Pathfinder 1e is an overly complicated elemental version of a warlock (As Nale's career path seems like an overly complicated version of Elan's).

torrasque666
2020-09-22, 03:52 PM
Complete Arcane was released in 2004. They probably figured they would release more Invoking classes later on and just never did.

Troacctid
2020-09-22, 03:53 PM
The breath weapon does scale with prestige classes, FWIW. You just don't gain additional breath effects.

Feantar
2020-09-22, 04:59 PM
Wasn't one released in Dragon Magazine, something with a further eldritch horrory blend? Or am I misremembering something third party?

StSword
2020-09-22, 05:22 PM
There's no third party support for the warlock in 3x that I can recall, pity.

Now in Pathfinder several authors have created several successors to the Warlock, the most popular would seem to be Spheres of Power- all day every day magic users who even have a sphere, destruction, which is like the destructive blast and it's variations.

There would be some work involved, but one might want to take a look (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/) to strip it for invocation ideas and/or invoker classes.

Thurbane
2020-09-22, 05:49 PM
I always hoped there would be more base classes along the lines of Warlock and DFA, but those are the only two official ones I'm aware of in 3.5.

Factotums wield SLAs, but not in the same way as invocations.

The Spur Lord PrC (Lords of Darkness) gets a 10ft negative energy blast that is vaguely like an eldritch blast; you can also get the ability from The Ritual of the Dark Flames.

Not a class, but Aspect of Chernovog - from Expedition to Castle Ravenloft - have some Warlock abilities: Eldritch Blast, Beshadowed Blast, Frightful Blast, Hideous Blow, Hideous Blow

Ethereal Defiler (MMV p.54) also gets some eldritch blast-like abilities.

Wasn't one released in Dragon Magazine, something with a further eldritch horrory blend? Or am I misremembering something third party?

Would be very interesting to hear more about this.

Remuko
2020-09-22, 08:32 PM
There are a few prestige classes, if that helps, but they piggyback on the base classes.

Arguably, the Kineticist of Pathfinder 1e is an overly complicated elemental version of a warlock (As Nale's career path seems like an overly complicated version of Elan's).

Hah Nale is an anagram of Elan.

Greenflame133
2020-09-23, 12:14 AM
There's no third party support for the warlock in 3x that I can recall, pity.

Now in Pathfinder several authors have created several successors to the Warlock, the most popular would seem to be Spheres of Power- all day every day magic users who even have a sphere, destruction, which is like the destructive blast and it's variations.

There would be some work involved, but one might want to take a look (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/) to strip it for invocation ideas and/or invoker classes.
Ah Spheres are great. I wonder if could translate some of the invoking prestige classes into spheres.

Well, perhaps that's a bad idea, but both Enlightened Spirit and Demon binder may work.

StSword
2020-09-23, 02:22 AM
Ah Spheres are great. I wonder if could translate some of the invoking prestige classes into spheres.

Well, perhaps that's a bad idea, but both Enlightened Spirit and Demon binder may work.

I get that, I'm quite the fan of SoP, but they haven't exactly been churning out those prestige classes.

I suppose, rightly in my opinion, they think there's less need for such considering how individualistic the spheres system makes characters.

When an armorist might be a death knight with death or play juggernaut with life and protection, it's not like you absolutely need a prestige class to distinguish your character.

I'm sure they could come up with some fun options though.