PDA

View Full Version : Optimization [3.5] Spontaneous Archivist Options

Thurbane
2020-09-22, 06:18 PM
So, Wizard has some support for (limited) spontaneous casting options: Uncanny Forethought, Alacritous Cogitation, Spontaneous Divination ACF etc.

Problem is, the options I listed are all Wizard specific.

Assume I'm a single classed Archivist: what RAW options are there for me to get some spontaneous casting? I know of the Spontaneous Healer/Summoner/Wounder feats; also, Domain Staffs (ideally I'm trying to avoid gear based options).

Disclaimer: I am looking for RAW options, not "ask your DM to house rule an Archivist equivalent of the Wizard options". Assume it was for an Iron Chef entry or similar.

Also, not looking other classes: i.e. not looking for a Cleric, Cloistered Cleric, Favored Soul or Mystic; and 100% NOT looking at any UA options like Spontaneous Cleric/Divine Caster, Generic Spellcaster etc.

Cheers - T

sreservoir
2020-09-22, 06:27 PM
How do you feel about the reading of Versatile Spellcaster that lets you leverage having any spontaneous casting into spontaneous casting off your entire list?

Troacctid
2020-09-22, 06:44 PM
Gear-wise, there's the Raiment of the Four, which is quite good, and the Vestments of Divinity, which are decent. Oh, and let's not forget the robe of mysterious conjuration. All from MIC.

Thurbane
2020-09-22, 07:14 PM
How do you feel about the reading of Versatile Spellcaster that lets you leverage having any spontaneous casting into spontaneous casting off your entire list?

Very iffy at my table, but I'll consider it.

Zaq
2020-09-22, 08:05 PM
It requires PrCing to get turn attempts and also a domain, but the feat Domain Spontaneity (CDiv p. 80) lets you spend turn attempts to spontaneously convert prepped spells into spells from a certain domain. Can be taken multiple times.

Interestingly, it doesn't require that you have a domain in the prereqs, though the text does say "choose a domain that you have access to." A merciful GM would allow an archivist to use it on a domain that they know the spells from; a less merciful GM would require that you actually gain that domain (usually through a PrC like holt warden / contemplative / divine oracle / etc.).

Darg
2020-09-22, 10:41 PM
The magical training feat gets you arcane spells and you are treated as a wizard with a minimum 1 level. Spell mastery doesn't specify requiring actual class levels. Plus, as you can now cast arcane spells, Arcane disciple feat can be used with your archivist spell slots. Arcane Disciple adds to your class list of (0) arcane spells. As you are an archivist and not a wizard, the spells get added to your archivist spell list. Of course, archivist can get a scroll of Anyspell and copy it to their prayerbook to qualify for arcane disciple and alacratous cogitation too. 2 arcane disciple feats qualifies you for spontaneous domains. As you can cast your domain spells from your normal slots, that makes all your normal slots domain spell slots.

Versatile Spellcaster lets you spontaneously cast any spell you know (not any spell on your list which is only cleric spells) which are in your prayerbook/s or your domain spells.

Bphill561
2020-09-23, 12:27 AM
Some of these options have already been listed, but this is the build I had for my next 3.5 game.

Silverbrow Human: Neutral Good

Archivist 5/ Singer of Concordance 2/ Holt Warden 1/ Sacred Exorcist 1/ Dweomerkeeper 10

You need the Magic Domain and get Plant from Holt Warden. There is still room to throw Contemplative in for a third domain. I assume you still need to select from Io's list, so Dragon, Healing, Knowledge, Strength, Travel, and Wealth on are on the table.

Dweomerkeeper will let you pick up 5 Mantle spells for spontaneous swapping of spells. The previously mentioned Domain Spontaneity can be added in as well (although that was not part of my build). This is all RAW.

Now if Dragon magazine is on the table, there is an additional option you can throw in. There is the Customize Domain feat from Dragon 325. It lets you swap out spells on your domain list from any spells lists you have access to. The spells have to kind of follow the domains focus, but the Magic domain is specifically listed as being able to have any spell put on it at one level higher than the normal spell level. Now the Archivist certainly has access to spells a level lower than normal in some cases. The only catch is some people get upset with the Archivist and spell lists, stating the archivist does not have one. Customize domain just says you exchange domain spells for spells on any spell lists you have access too. Does archivist have access to any spell lists or just any spell?

Honorable mention goes to the Epic Feat "Spell Siphoning". You make a turning check and it lets you burn a turn undead attempt to spontaneously cast any spells you can normally prepare based on how well you roll. It was fun on a character with 70 turning attempts from Sacred Exorcist and the Light Bringer Cleric alternative turn undead ability. Miracles all day for spell emulation.

Rebel7284
2020-09-24, 12:57 PM
Shadowcraft Mage gives you effectively spontaneous casting from 1.9 schools of magic, including spells that are annoying to get on an Archivist.

Edits:
- If you want it truly spontaneous instead of having to prepare a heightened Silent Image, you may need Sacred Exorcist + Contemplative + Domain Spontaneity
- Depending on if you can take Divine Metamagic[Heightened Spell], you may find yourself being able to cast 9th level spells pretty early.
- Note the "Cabal of illusionists" adaptation section of Shadowcraft Mage that opens it up to non-gnomes if you would rather play another race.

ShurikVch
2020-09-24, 01:38 PM
Some feats:
Arctic Priest (Frostburn)
Initiate of Gruumsh (Champions of Ruin) - 1/day, but still...
Spontaneous Casting (Eberron Campaign Setting)
Spontaneous Domains (Complete Champion) - get domains from Contemplative/Divine Agent/Divine Disciple
Spontaneous Healer (Complete Divine)
Spontaneous Summoner (Complete Divine)
Spontaneous Wounder (Complete Divine)

Thurbane
2020-09-24, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, some great stuff to look into.

I was very excited about Spontaneous Casting, until I realised it uses Action Points, which we don't have in our games...

Anthrowhale
2020-09-24, 04:50 PM
Apprentice Spellcaster (for access to Use Magic Device), Channel Charge (from Lost Empires of Faerun), Quickdraw, and a magic quiver (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#efficientQuiver) full of (potentially partially-charged) wands or staffs gives effective spontaneous access to any spell at the cost of a spell slot one level higher.

sreservoir
2020-09-24, 05:10 PM
Spontaneous Casting might be more exciting for spontaneous casters than for its intended use: a sorcerer with Arcane Preparation and a source of enough action points (Dragon Prophesier + Prophecy's Hero + unfettered heroism?) seems able to cast off the entire spell list a decent number of times per day.

RaiKirah
2020-09-24, 05:27 PM
Contemplative into Sovereign Speaker actually gets you Domain Slots (though not many) which then can be paired with Spontaneous Domain to cast any Domain spell you know from them. Sovereign Speaker gives you a bunch of Domains to add versatility to this. It's not spontaneous casting from your whole list, but it's not nothing.