PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next sorcerer subclass that expads on existing features

Iampower
2020-09-23, 04:33 AM
i was reading through the champion fighter subclass and got the idea of making subclasses that just expand on existing features of the base class, like what the champion does for the fighter.

i started with sorcerer and it took a while to figure out a good flavor for this. tell me what you think.

Weave-born

Arcane Sight
You learn Detect Magic as a Sorcerer Spell and can cast it at will.

Threads of the Weave
The weave is the source of all magic and your connection to it allows you to learn spells that you otherwise would not be able to. At 1st level, you learn a spell from any class’s spell list. The spell must be of a level you can cast, as shown in the Sorcerer table, or a cantrip. The spell counts as a sorcerer spell for you but doesn’t count against your number of sorcerer spells known.
You learn additional spells at 6th level, 14th level, and 18th level. When you replace a spell you learn from this feature, you can replace it with a spell from any spell list.

(alternate description)
The weave is the source of all magic and your connection to it allows you to cast spells that you otherwise would not be able to. At the end of a long rest, choose one cantrip and any number of spells from any class’s spell list with a total spell level equal to or lower than half your sorcerer level rounded up. You cannot have more spells of a given level than the number of spell slots you have of the same level. For example; a level 15 sorcerer can have up to 8 spell levels of spells but no more than four 1st level spells or three 2nd level spells.
The spells count as sorcerer spells for you and do not count against your known spells. you can change the spells at the end of a long rest. At 11th level, you can choose 2 cantrips.

Additional Metamagic
At 6th level, you gain an additional Metamagic option.

Spell Sculptor
You can expend 3 sorcery points to use two metamagic options that are not already usable with other metamagic options on a single spell. You can still use additional metamagic options that can be used with other metamagic, such as Empowered Spell. You must expend the required sorcery points for each metamagic option.

One with the Weave
At 18th level, you learn to further expand your magical capabilities and expand the number of spells you can cast on a day. You learn to create spell slots of higher levels using your Font of Magic feature as shown on the table below.

Spell Slot Level Sorcery Point Cost
6th 10
7th 11
8th 12
9th 14

LibraryOgre
2020-09-23, 08:02 AM
I did something similar with a Magic Bloodline.

http://rpgcrank.blogspot.com/2019/03/magic-bloodline-for-sorcerers.html

BerzerkerUnit
2020-09-23, 04:14 PM
The high level metamagic immediately breaks the system due to wish, but setting that aside presents an interesting option of a sorc that opens every fight with a 9th level spell. It also makes the capstone worth half a damn since you can’t get it and 3 levels of warlock, but you could by a 9th level slot, convert an 8 and 6 for another, 2x5 and a 4 etc and offset the cost with short rests so you can still metamagic.

Quickened meteor swarm or Wish for a Simulacrum of Boss every fight...

trrebi981
2020-09-24, 12:00 AM
I'm definitely liking what you have going with this right now, but I feel like there really shouldn't be a way to give players more 9th level spell slots, if only to avoid Wish shenanigans. Even 8th level spells can prove to make encounters a little too easy to deal with if they become spammable. The best replacement for that, I think would be to instead add a sort of improved metamagic mechanic for a metamagic of your choice.

Possible Examples:

Improved Quickened Spell: After casting a quickened spell, you may cast a non-cantrip spell that has a casting time of 1 action if you spend a number of sorcery points equal to twice the spell's level to cast it.
Improved Empowered Spell: When you roll damage for a spell, you can spend a number of sorcery points equal to the spell's level (Minimum of 4) to deal maximum damage.
Improved Heightened Spell: When you cast a spell that forces a creature to make a saving throw to resist its effects, you can spend a number of sorcery points equal to twice the spell's level (to a minimum of 6) to give one target of the spell disadvantage on its first saving throw made against the spell, or ignore immunity its effects.

Edit: Made to Improved Quickened Spell, to what I actually meant it to be.

BerzerkerUnit
2020-09-24, 03:07 PM
Maybe as an alternative to multiple 9th level slots, as a capstone you could go with-

Meta Mastery
At 18th level you acquire an additional metamagic option. Additionally, all metamagic options cost 1 sorcery point less.

This makes empower, subtle, and extend free at the base and everything else is cheaper, so a lot kore freedom with points.

lukethecat2003
2020-09-24, 11:01 PM
Maybe as an alternative to multiple 9th level slots, as a capstone you could go with-

Meta Mastery
At 18th level you acquire an additional metamagic option. Additionally, all metamagic options cost 1 sorcery point less.

This makes empower, subtle, and extend free at the base and everything else is cheaper, so a lot kore freedom with points.
yikes, twinned spell firebolt is free, which is like double damage in comparison to everything but warlocks, but since EB is the normals of the warlock, its fine for it to outrank other ones. I dont think this is fair, given it isnt a dip level, which makes it harder to break with MCing, but i think that this makes twinned spell wayyy too overpowered.

BerzerkerUnit
2020-09-28, 04:01 PM
yikes, twinned spell firebolt is free, which is like double damage in comparison to everything but warlocks, but since EB is the normals of the warlock, its fine for it to outrank other ones. I dont think this is fair, given it isnt a dip level, which makes it harder to break with MCing, but i think that this makes twinned spell wayyy too overpowered.

How is free level 1 and Cantrip twinning OP at 18th level?

Keeping in mind, RAW/RAI (per devs) twin doesn’t work with E Blast after 4th Level and a Rare magic item (illusionist bracers) (level 11+) does the same for cantrips?

But if it’s that much of a concern you might also go with

Metamastery
Beginning at 18th level your metamagic comes much more easily. You can use each of your metamagic features once without having to spend sorcery points. You must complete a long rest before using your metamagic in this way again.

This is likely far more powerful (Twin Imprison?) but isn’t free empowers all day.

Iampower
2020-09-29, 10:08 PM
Everyone's worries seem to come from the 9th level spell. How about this then. Also which of the 2 6th level descriotions do you think is better? Whether for thematic reasons or mechanical reasons?

Arcane Sight
You learn Detect Magic as a Sorcerer Spell and can cast it at will.

Threads of the Weave
The weave is the source of all magic and your connection to it allows you to learn spells that you otherwise would not be able to. At 1st level, you learn a spell from any class’s spell list. The spell must be of a level you can cast, as shown in the Sorcerer table, or a cantrip. The spell counts as a sorcerer spell for you but doesn’t count against your number of sorcerer spells known.
You learn additional spells at 6th level, 14th level, and 18th level. When you replace a spell you learn from this feature, you can replace it with a spell from any spell list.

(alternate description)
The weave is the source of all magic and your connection to it allows you to cast spells that you otherwise would not be able to. At the end of a long rest, choose one cantrip and any number of spells from any class’s spell list with a total spell level equal to or lower than half your sorcerer level rounded up. You cannot have more spells of a given level than the number of spell slots you have of the same level. For example; a level 15 sorcerer can have up to 8 spell levels of spells but no more than four 1st level spells or three 2nd level spells.
The spells count as sorcerer spells for you and do not count against your known spells. you can change the spells at the end of a long rest. At 11th level, you can choose 2 cantrips.

Additional Metamagic
At 6th level, you gain an additional Metamagic option.

Spell Sculptor
You can expend 3 sorcery points to use two metamagic options that are not already usable with other metamagic options on a single spell. You can still use additional metamagic options that can be used with other metamagic, such as Empowered Spell. You must expend the required sorcery points for each metamagic option.

One with the Weave
At 18th level, you learn to further expand your magical capabilities and expand the number of spells you can cast on a day. You learn to create spell slots of higher levels using your Font of Magic feature as shown on the table below.
Additionally, choose a 1st level sorcerer spell you know that is on the sorcerer spell list. You can cast the spell at will.

Spell Slot Level Sorcery Point Cost
6th 10
7th 11