PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Copying wizard spells

Rieler
2020-09-23, 08:35 AM
I am a poor wizard, and was hired to transport a spellbook to another city. I don’t have special inks required to copy the spells into my own spellbook, and I’ll have to deliver it before I can resupply. Would it be possible to make a simple copy onto regular paper with regular ink just as it is on the page and then decode and transfer the spell properly at a later time?

Unoriginal
2020-09-23, 08:43 AM
I am a poor wizard, and was hired to transport a spellbook to another city. I don’t have special inks required to copy the spells into my own spellbook, and I’ll have to deliver it before I can resupply. Would it be possible to make a simple copy onto regular paper with regular ink just as it is on the page and then decode and transfer the spell properly at a later time?

Only your DM knows how it works at their table.

At mine it would be a direct "no". If it worked like that no one would bother learning from spell scrolls, and owning one spellbook would let you create the "normal paper and ink" copies then sell them to everyone. Same way that a Wizard with Keen Mind can't prepare any spell they want from memory after reading their own spellbook, even if they can remember the content.