PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Class & Subclass for the Frostmaiden adventure?

jaappleton
2020-09-23, 10:04 AM
Description taken from the WOTC site for those unaware of the concept of the adventure:

In Icewind Dale, adventure is a dish best served cold.

Beneath the unyielding night sky, you stand before a towering glacier and recite an ancient rhyme, causing a crack to form in the great wall of ice. Beyond this yawning fissure, the Caves of Hunger await. And past this icy dungeon is a secret so old and terrifying that few dare speak of it. The mad wizards of the Arcane Brotherhood long to possess that which the god of winter’s wrath has so coldly preserved—as do you! What fantastic secrets and treasures are entombed in the sunless heart of the glacier, and what will their discovery mean for the denizens of Icewind Dale? Can you save Ten-Towns from the Frostmaiden’s everlasting night?

Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden is a tale of dark terror that revisits the forlorn, flickering candlelights of civilization known as Ten-Towns and sheds light on the many bone-chilling locations that surround these frontier settlements.

I've perused the adventure a little bit. Unlike Avernus, there's only some monsters that have the occasional resistance, so there's many more player options which aren't essentially negated or 'poor choices' for the adventure. Basically, just don't be Cold focused and overall you should be good.

So, in an ideal situation, what would you roll up for the adventure?

Evaar
2020-09-23, 10:14 AM
I’m hoping to play a Tiefling Eldritch Knight using the Feral stat block and otherwise taking the Descendant of Levistus features. That was my plan earlier and I now have heard he may have some relevance, so even better. I intend to pick up the Infernal Constitution feat for Cold Resistance.

I had also considered a Fire Genasi Battlesmith Artificer.

jaappleton
2020-09-23, 10:20 AM
I am leaning toward either Genie (Fire) or Fiend Bladelock, going with a Goliath. There's a few Goliath tribes tribes in the adventure, and at character creation it says you can join them. With the feats now for fighting styles available, I think its a solid build.

Gonna be stretch a little thin on my stats, for sure, but with the Eldritch Armor invocation to get me proficiency in any armor, I'm thinking heavy STR and CHA followed by CON, with a 2H weapon.

Thinking of going Genie, to get +Prof. Bonus of Fire Damage on each attack. Fire's gotta be a bit useful in a cold world, right?

Arkhios
2020-09-23, 10:39 AM
My chances to play this are slim to none, but if I could, I would make a re-iteration of my old character concept: Tribal Mage of the Reghedmen Tribe of the Wolf from the Reghed Glacier. Probably with Uthgardt Tribe Member as his background, reflavored if required.

Possibly War Wizard with a barbarian dip.

Oh, and most likely (variant) human, or some other race that's easily mistaken for a human (such as aasimar, goliath, or half-elf).

MrStabby
2020-09-23, 10:53 AM
Probably a Shepherd druid for me. I have been wanting to play one since XGtE was released but never found the right campaign.

They were just either not the right fit for the party or there was another druid there before... now... maybe...

kobo1d
2020-09-23, 12:02 PM
Heard from a few sources having a Wizard is strongly recommended for fun maximization in ID:RotF, so if no one else rolled one, I’ve been wanting to play an Illusionist for a while.

If someone else was already going to be mastering wizardry, I’ll be looking at Shepherd Druid, Vengeance Paladin, Divine Soul Sorcerer, or Gloom Stalker Ranger depending on party.

jaappleton
2020-09-23, 12:32 PM
Heard from a few sources having a Wizard is strongly recommended for fun maximization in ID:RotF, so if no one else rolled one, I’ve been wanting to play an Illusionist for a while.

If someone else was already going to be mastering wizardry, I’ll be looking at Shepherd Druid, Vengeance Paladin, Divine Soul Sorcerer, or Gloom Stalker Ranger depending on party.

Ehhh.... There's a really sweet 9th level Wizard spell available, but its a 9th level spell. The adventure doesn't go to 17th level. So... Not really?

Eldariel
2020-09-23, 12:35 PM
While not necessarily optimal, I love Wildfire Druid as a thematic fit and kinda wanna give it a whirl there.

jaappleton
2020-09-23, 12:57 PM
While not necessarily optimal, I love Wildfire Druid as a thematic fit and kinda wanna give it a whirl there.

A good pick! I really dig both Wildfire and Stars, I love that they did things with Wild Shape besides 'turn into a beast'.

jojosskul
2020-09-23, 01:46 PM
Ehhh.... There's a really sweet 9th level Wizard spell available, but its a 9th level spell. The adventure doesn't go to 17th level. So... Not really?

I'm preparing to DM this, so will likely never play it. I'm entirely fine with that because I can run this over and over and never have it play out the same way twice. Wonderful sandbox.

And hopefully without spoiling anything, I REALLY hope one of my players picks wizard.

GlenSmash!
2020-09-23, 02:26 PM
I wand to pick a Goliath to tie my character to the adventure. Barbarian seems the obvious choice for a tribal Goliath. Bear Totem having resistance to cold seems like a good fit, and thematic. Tundra Storm Herald isn't a bad idea either. At level 10 giving resistance to Cold damage to allies within you storm Aura could be a boon to the party. I also think Path of the Beast might be a good choice, but it will depend on whatever the final form of that subclass is.

I am a bit concerned about the long winter nights, so going Goliath Gloom Stalker appeals to me too. Maybe a Gloom stalker 7/ Undecided Barbarian 4

jaappleton
2020-09-23, 02:54 PM
I wand to pick a Goliath to tie my character to the adventure. Barbarian seems the obvious choice for a tribal Goliath. Bear Totem having resistance to cold seems like a good fit, and thematic. Tundra Storm Herald isn't a bad idea either. At level 10 giving resistance to Cold damage to allies within you storm Aura could be a boon to the party. I also think Path of the Beast might be a good choice, but it will depend on whatever the final form of that subclass is.

I am a bit concerned about the long winter nights, so going Goliath Gloom Stalker appeals to me too. Maybe a Gloom stalker 7/ Undecided Barbarian 4

Remember Goliaths themselves get Cold Resistance now. That's a thing they changed.

GlenSmash!
2020-09-23, 02:58 PM
Remember Goliaths themselves get Cold Resistance now. That's a thing they changed.

Whaaaaat? I know they were acclimated to cold and mountainous climates, but not flat out resistant to Cold. Yes that does change things quite a bit.

Edit: so with that in mind If the class features in Tasha's are close to what they were in UA I think I will go 7 In Gloomstaker to get Tireless and Canny (expertise Athletics), Unarmed Fighting Style for damage against grappled creatures, and Iron Mind and take 3-4 levels in Berserker for Advantage on Athletics checks and the Short Rest Frenzy combo. An ambushing grappling Goliath, that uses Frenzy when he can't grapple could be lots of fun.

Although Goliath Rune Knight looks nice too

jaappleton
2020-09-23, 03:26 PM
Whaaaaat? I know they were acclimated to cold and mountainous climates, but not flat out resistant to Cold. Yes that does change things quite a bit.

Edit: so with that in mind If the class features in Tasha's are close to what they were in UA I think I will go 7 In Gloomstaker to get Tireless and Canny (expertise Athletics), Unarmed Fighting Style for damage against grappled creatures, and Iron Mind and take 3-4 levels in Berserker for Advantage on Athletics checks and the Short Rest Frenzy combo. An ambushing grappling Goliath, that uses Frenzy when he can't grapple could be lots of fun.

Although Goliath Rune Knight looks nice too

Goliath RK makes so much sense. I love the concept of it, but I found its features in UA to be a bit lacking. There were only about two Runes I wanted, so why bother leveling it past 5th level or so instead of MCing out into something else? But that's another topic. I do hope it got beefed up a bit, if its in Tasha's.

My table is currently doing Saltmarsh, holding off on doing Frostmaiden until after Tasha's is released. Why make characters and start when we're gonna be excited to play totally different characters in two months? :smalltongue:

Personally I think one of the most valuable spells to have would be Leomnund's Tiny Hut. Shelter from the cold? Yes, please. Only problem is its limited to Bards, Wizards and Twilight Clerics. Twilight is actually a solid pick, I suppose, even if IMO its features seem a little disjointed from the theme.

GlenSmash!
2020-09-23, 04:01 PM
Goliath RK makes so much sense. I love the concept of it, but I found its features in UA to be a bit lacking. There were only about two Runes I wanted, so why bother leveling it past 5th level or so instead of MCing out into something else? But that's another topic. I do hope it got beefed up a bit, if its in Tasha's.

I thought the Runes were all broadly useful to a Fighter, but I think most Martials suffer from 'Why would I keep leveling in this class past 5" syndrome and I think I'm just used to it.

I had a Goliath Rune Knight planned as a back up character if my main in SKT died. He would have had the Scholar background who had left his tribe to pursue his life mission: to learn the ancestral connection between Goliath's and Giants. Which led to him learning Runes. I liked the idea so much I was kind of bummed my other character never kicked the bucket.

But if I were to make one for Frostmaiden he would have an entirely different backstory. Something more savage.

pr4wn
2020-09-23, 06:03 PM
White dragonborn tempest cleric of Auril...

Charlatan background so I can pretend to be someone else...

-pr4wn

MrStabby
2020-09-23, 07:56 PM
I thought the Runes were all broadly useful to a Fighter, but I think most Martials suffer from 'Why would I keep leveling in this class past 5" syndrome and I think I'm just used to it.

I had a Goliath Rune Knight planned as a back up character if my main in SKT died. He would have had the Scholar background who had left his tribe to pursue his life mission: to learn the ancestral connection between Goliath's and Giants. Which led to him learning Runes. I liked the idea so much I was kind of bummed my other character never kicked the bucket.

But if I were to make one for Frostmaiden he would have an entirely different backstory. Something more savage.

Funny to hear you say this - if this is the one from the UA I thought that the level 7 ability seemed increadibly strong. Bonus AC on a pretty big range, and you know if they are hit first so you get an efficient use of your reaction... and as often as you want. It seemed a massive buff - possibly nearly as strong as the paladin aura.

Then if you have gone to 7, another ASI at 8th seems tempting... then it is a question about sticking around till the third attack. I will grant the level 10 ability of the rune knight doesn't set the world on fire, but the level 15 one is a big step up in power. At 10 rune uses per short rest you will be feeling like a caster... Ok it's still lowish level effects but you get a lot of out of combat utility as well.

This was one of the few martial archetypes I would have been really keen to stick with to higher levels.

Ogre Mage
2020-09-24, 05:13 AM
Either a druid or a light domain cleric would be my first choice. The arctic environment means the druid's abilities are highly likely to be useful. Resources are scarce. I think the survival skill will be important and goodberry could be a lifesaver.

Fire and light/radiance will be precious commodities out in the dark frozen north. The light domain cleric has them in spades. You will literally be a light shining in the darkness.

jaappleton
2020-09-24, 07:59 AM
I’d totally go Artificer if I can convince my DM to give them access to Tiny Hut. Honestly they should have it. They can create living constructs and enchant magical items like it’s no big deal, and it’s heavily encouraged to reflavor spells to be more ‘steampunk-ish’. So I can toss a grenade filled with glitter for Faerie Fire to turn the battlefield into a Ke$ha music video, but rolling out a steel disc that constructs itself into a dome like something Tony Stark invented is out of the question?

Artificers should have Tiny Hut on their darn list.

Anyways. Maybe Artillerist? Flamethrowers are nice.

torrmh
2020-09-24, 02:37 PM
I'm starting Rime of the Frostmaiden in Adventurer's League soon, and I want to play either an archer build (leaning towards some kind of Gloomstalker/Assassin build with some Cleric and/or Druid levels) or a nuclear Wizard (Hexblade1 / Evoker x), but not sure what race I'm going to pick yet, especially with the new customizing your origin rule in play.

Any tips guys?

Been thinking about a Goliath for the nuclear Wizard for the cold resistance and the extra skill. Half-elf is of course also a strong choice here.

For the archer build I was thinking about a Wood Elf or a Tabaxi, leaning towards the latter because I'm not sure how often the whole Mask of the Wild ability is going to be relevant.

Yakmala
2020-09-24, 03:48 PM
Based on the materials released so far...

I'm planning on making a Mountain Dwarf Genie (Dao) Warlock. He's prospecting in the frozen peaks when he gets caught in an avalanche. The avalanche uncovers a long buried vessel with a Dao in it. The character makes a pact with the Dao that grants him the power he needs to dig himself out (Mold Earth) and in exchange, he digs up the vessel and releases the Dao. The Dao becomes his patron and the vessel is now tied to him.

Mechanically, the build makes use of the new lineage system to move the +2 Strength to Charisma and uses the Genie Patron from Tasha's. It's going to be great fun casting Spike Growth and then pushing and pulling enemies through it using Repelling Blast and Grasp of Hadar.

J-H
2020-09-24, 10:21 PM
If I get to play it, I'll probably go Totem Barbarian. Spear/shield PAM barbarian. Everyone gets advantage, I get lots of attacks, and at high levels, I fly.

Chugger
2020-09-24, 11:53 PM
Based on the materials released so far...

I'm planning on making a Mountain Dwarf Genie (Dao) Warlock. He's prospecting in the frozen peaks when he gets caught in an avalanche. The avalanche uncovers a long buried vessel with a Dao in it. The character makes a pact with the Dao that grants him the power he needs to dig himself out (Mold Earth) and in exchange, he digs up the vessel and releases the Dao. The Dao becomes his patron and the vessel is now tied to him.

Mechanically, the build makes use of the new lineage system to move the +2 Strength to Charisma and uses the Genie Patron from Tasha's. It's going to be great fun casting Spike Growth and then pushing and pulling enemies through it using Repelling Blast and Grasp of Hadar.

That's well thought out and nicely done! I don't understand the Tasha's stuff (I play AL, it's not likely to be AL legal), but the backstory is just right.

Arkhios
2020-09-25, 12:52 AM
That's well thought out and nicely done! I don't understand the Tasha's stuff (I play AL, it's not likely to be AL legal), but the backstory is just right.

Actually, The "Tasha's stuff" (meaning racial trait shenanigans) is AL legal AND doesn't count against the PHB+1 rule. It's already being implemented into the AL players guide for season 10.

Here's a link (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24711055&postcount=353) to all the relevant information about it.

jaappleton
2020-09-25, 02:45 PM
I think I've narrowed it down to what, overall, might be the best option. Obviously this is only my opinion, but its both very thematic and incredibly good for the adventure from a mechanics perspective.

Nature Domain Cleric.

A key feature of the Nature Domain is its level 6: Dampen Elements. No wording in the feature says that they must suffer any of those damage types from an attack. Whether coming from extreme weather conditions or a spell or a monster ability feature, you can still provide resistance to that damage type.

At level 8, you can deal Cold, Fire or Lightning damage with your melee attacks.

You get Heavy Armor.

The channel divinity is typically considered one of the weaker ones. However, I don't think I'm spoiling anything when I say that pretty much every D&D adventure has a few undead here and there, so the vanilla Turn Undead is always good, and being able to charm animals certainly has its uses. Plus, lets not forget the Class Variant UA* ability given to Clerics, where they can convert a use of channel divinity into a first level spell slot. So if you're about to rest, you can at least get a slot or two back for having not used it.

Personally I'd go Goliath, tie yourself to one of the tribes in the adventure and net yourself some Cold Resistance, along with Stone's Endurance to mitigate the occasional hit and help a crucial Concentration check. Take Magic Initiate for a SCAG cantrip and go to town.

*I don't know if that's going to be in Tasha's. I believe that UA was met with a ton of positive feedback, so signs look good for it making it in there.

sithlordnergal
2020-09-25, 02:56 PM
I'm currently playing a Tiefling Wild Magic Sorcerer, and its pretty fun

GlenSmash!
2020-09-25, 03:37 PM
I think I've narrowed it down to what, overall, might be the best option. Obviously this is only my opinion, but its both very thematic and incredibly good for the adventure from a mechanics perspective.

Nature Domain Cleric.

A key feature of the Nature Domain is its level 6: Dampen Elements. No wording in the feature says that they must suffer any of those damage types from an attack. Whether coming from extreme weather conditions or a spell or a monster ability feature, you can still provide resistance to that damage type.

At level 8, you can deal Cold, Fire or Lightning damage with your melee attacks.

You get Heavy Armor.

The channel divinity is typically considered one of the weaker ones. However, I don't think I'm spoiling anything when I say that pretty much every D&D adventure has a few undead here and there, so the vanilla Turn Undead is always good, and being able to charm animals certainly has its uses. Plus, lets not forget the Class Variant UA* ability given to Clerics, where they can convert a use of channel divinity into a first level spell slot. So if you're about to rest, you can at least get a slot or two back for having not used it.

Personally I'd go Goliath, tie yourself to one of the tribes in the adventure and net yourself some Cold Resistance, along with Stone's Endurance to mitigate the occasional hit and help a crucial Concentration check. Take Magic Initiate for a SCAG cantrip and go to town.

*I don't know if that's going to be in Tasha's. I believe that UA was met with a ton of positive feedback, so signs look good for it making it in there.

A Goliath Nature Cleric as a tribe's "Shaman" is a pretty cool (no pun intended) theme