PDA

View Full Version : Sentinel v. Resilient (Wis)

Lord Ruby34
2020-09-23, 10:38 AM
I'm currently playing a Centaur Battlemaster/War Cleric in a three person party. My other teammates are a gnome wizard and a half-orc rouge with 10 Con. I currently have an odd wisdom score, and I'm trying to decided if it would be better to take Sentinel to help protect my teammates, or Resilient Wis to make my spells better, protect myself, and get an extra use of War Priest each day. (I started as a fighter). So far combat has been easy, but the DM has stated she intends to ramp up the difficulty.

Which do you think would help the most all around?

Fable Wright
2020-09-23, 10:49 AM
I'd personally go with Resilant (Wis). Sentinel is great for locking down one enemy, in your melee range, that isn't a spellcaster, from engaging your allies. However, Spirit Guardians (which you get next level or already have access to) is way better at boosting your stickiness than Sentinel could ever be, by creating a 15ft (rather than 5ft) zone around you that forces all enemies to move at half speed. Couple that with the fact that Wisdom saves are some of the most dangerous in the game, and the myriad benefits of Wis (spell DCs, ability uses, Perception checks, spells prepared each day), then there's no question. Go with Resilient(Wis).

Willie the Duck
2020-09-23, 12:52 PM
Evening out an odd casting stat is always tempting. Here is the real question --

1) Sentinel is somewhere between great and necessary if your DM routinely attacks the back line/squishies. 5e doesn't have a lot of default rules keeping them from doing so (and we're a long way away from when PC parties had a troop of followers and hirelings and such who could physically interpose between the mages and enemies in convenient and ubiquitous 10' corridors), and it really comes down to whether the DM exploits this lack of rules. If the DM does this (or you think they will) take Sentinel.

2) Having proficient Wisdom is somewhere between great and necessary if your DM routinely drops Wis-save spells on the party. Being (for example) Held at the wrong moment (particularly for a front liner, who not only doesn't get to act, but gets subject to attacks-at-advantage/crit) can be devastating. Moreso in a smaller party (as 3 people failing to the same Hypnotic Pattern is effectively game-over). If the DM does this (or you think they will) take Resilient:Wis.

Keravath
2020-09-23, 12:53 PM
I too would to with resilient wisdom - not so much to boost the effectiveness of your cleric spells but to obtain proficiency with wisdom saving throws.

For fighters and barbarians, one of their greatest weaknesses as you get to higher levels is their wisdom saving throws. Wisdom is typically pretty low (but with a fighter/cleric I assume your wisdom is at least 13) and lack of proficiency makes them a very easy target for a lot of wisdom based spells that can either lock them down, take them out of the fight, or have them actively fighting against the party (dominate person).

So between your two listed choices, I would definitely pick resilient wis.

Teaguethebean
2020-09-24, 08:22 PM
What weapon do you use?

Lord Ruby34
2020-09-26, 01:35 AM
What weapon do you use?

Mostly a lance, but I switch to a battle-axe when in close. Currently a fighter 3/Cleric 1.

Thanks for all the advice, I think I'll be picking up Resilient (Wis) next level.

Chronos
2020-09-26, 07:41 AM
Quoth Fable Wright:

However, Spirit Guardians (which you get next level or already have access to) is way better at boosting your stickiness than Sentinel could ever be, by creating a 15ft (rather than 5ft) zone around you that forces all enemies to move at half speed.
It's not actually as effective for that as you'd think. Enemies only have their speed reduced while in the area. So if half their speed is enough to get them out of the area (it usually is), then they get back their full speed, and can continue moving. The movement reduction is mostly just effective at stopping things that try to close with you, though of course if you've got Spirit Guardians running, most things won't want to close with you.

Now, if you can combine it with difficult terrain, then it usually turns you from sticky to super-sticky. But that's situational.