PDA

View Full Version : Hex vs haste

Visceration
2020-09-23, 12:18 PM
Hey fellow dnd players. I'm trying to figure out something. My character recently died and I'm making another that will be lvl 17. I decided to make a hexblade lvl 6 oathbreaker paladin/ lvl 11 warlock.

So when I gain one more level I will get life drinker. My sword will do 1d8 +15 damage per hit. Now my question is between hex and haste and which is better. I have the ability to possible learn haste. Normally if I wanted to go all out, I would make sure to have hex up 1st lvl, hexblade curse, and then for my 2 turns I would attack cast eldridge smite, paladin smite, then 2nd melee hit and paladin smite again. But would it be better to get haste and do that instead. This would mean I would lose one of paladin smite attacks because my 5th lvl warlock slots would go to haste, eldridge smite and one paladin smite.

So which would be better getting just using hex or getting haste and using that? This would be for big boss battles mainly. Thanks

cutlery
2020-09-23, 12:30 PM
Hey fellow dnd players. I'm trying to figure out something. My character recently died and I'm making another that will be lvl 17. I decided to make a hexblade lvl 6 oathbreaker paladin/ lvl 11 warlock.

So when I gain one more level I will get life drinker. My sword will do 1d8 +15 damage per hit. Now my question is between hex and haste and which is better. I have the ability to possible learn haste. Normally if I wanted to go all out, I would make sure to have hex up 1st lvl, hexblade curse, and then for my 2 turns I would attack cast eldridge blast, paladin smite, then 2nd melee hit and paladin smite again. But would it be better to get haste and do that instead. This would mean I would lose one of paladin smite attacks because my 5th lvl warlock slots would go to haste, eldridge smite and one paladin smite.

So which would be better getting just using hex or getting haste and using that? This would be for big boss battles mainly. Thanks

Haste hurts when you lose it; one casting of hex can last you 24 hours.

I'd go with hex and keep haste in my back pocket for certain situations. One hex can be the way to go for a shorter, low-resource use fight. You can then keep that concentration and re-apply hex in the next fight, and at any time you can let hex drop and switch to haste if you wish.

Note that without feats like crossbow expert (which some DMs might frown on for this), your eldritch blast beams will be at disadvantage if you are within 5' of a hostile.

If you have range, though, EB beams with hex or hex+hexblade's curse is tough to top without spending slots on eldritch smite. With the sorts of AC you'll see at that level, even GWM+PAM falls off - even if you use hex+hexblade's curse with them.

TrueAlphaGamer
2020-09-23, 12:32 PM
why not oathbreaker 12/hexblade 5?

level 7 aura of hate gives you another bonus of cha to damage.

plus level 11 improved divine smite gives you another 1d8 to all attacks.

cutlery
2020-09-23, 12:34 PM
why not oathbreaker 12/hexblade 5?

level 7 aura of hate gives you another bonus of cha to damage.

plus level 11 improved divine smite gives you another 1d8 to all attacks.

Yep, much better at-will melee damage from that level split.

Visceration
2020-09-23, 01:28 PM
I'm sorry guys. I meant eldridge smite. Will update my post.

Visceration
2020-09-23, 01:59 PM
I went mainly warlock for the hex armor where as a reaction I roll a d6 and 4 and above it misses. Plus I get the ability to move the hexblade curse.

Cutlery: I don't think I gain the ability use a hex for 24hrs.i can move it to a different target, but only another target within range. Also, I have a +9 saving throw for the concentration check. So I have a roll a 1 to fail and then would only mean my next turn would be gone. But my sword have me luck to use each day. So I can reroll it.

So the improved smite is double with my level. My dm gave me a weapon with the ability to cast wish. 2 uses and gone. So doable to get improved smite and the spell. Because plausible since I have levels in paladin.

Visceration
2020-09-23, 02:02 PM
I could technically do 13 lvls warlock and 7 in lock for that aura. But worth losing the ability to move my hexblade curse.

Visceration
2020-09-23, 02:09 PM
So reading aura of hate, I could get it, but wouldn't definitely give more fire for our dm sending fiends at us. My aura would make them stronger.

cutlery
2020-09-23, 06:52 PM
Cutlery: I don't think I gain the ability use a hex for 24hrs.i can move it to a different target, but only another target within range. Also, I have a +9 saving throw for the concentration check. So I have a roll a 1 to fail and then would only mean my next turn would be gone. But my sword have me luck to use each day. So I can reroll it.

Every table is different, but it doesn’t specifically say that you must have the hex on a creature, only that the first hostile creature you cast it on is dead and you have maintained concentration.

It is, after all, a bonus action to reapply it, and if it worked like you suggest, then if a party member killed the target after your turn, you’d be out of luck and lose your hex.

Darc_Vader
2020-09-23, 07:23 PM

It’s worth noting that you don’t auto fail saves on a 1. With a +9 to the save, you automatically make any and all concentration saves unless the enemy hits you for at least 22 damage in one go. Even then you’d have to get hit with almost 40 damage at once to reach even a 50% chance of failure.

Visceration
2020-09-26, 11:34 AM
Wow, thanks! I had no idea hex had worked like that. Wish i knew that when i made my very first character, a warlock, ages ago. Will definitely use hex as my go to spell and think about if i should get haste with wish.

Would definitely get aura of hate, but I expect if I did that our DM will start throwing undead and fiends at us to give them the benefit too. Thanks again for all help. I learn so much when i come here.