PDA

View Full Version : Duergar Mind Master Give Extra Attacks?

kbob
2020-09-24, 12:17 AM
As the title suggests, can a duergar mind master (DMM) use "mind mastery" on ally to give an extra attack (or bonus 10' move) on the DMM's turn? It would seem that it could, though the intent seems to be more defensive (use on enemy to attack his own teammate or move him somewhere more advantageous for you). I have enclosed a description of the ability below. Thanks!

"Mind Mastery. The duergar targets one creature it can see within 60 feet of it. The target must succeed on a DC 12 Intelligence saving throw, or the duergar causes it to use its reaction either to make one weapon attack against another creature the duergar can see or to move up to 10 feet in a direction of the duergar's choice. Creatures that can't be charmed are immune to this effect."

Gignere
2020-09-24, 04:40 AM
As the title suggests, can a duergar mind master (DMM) use "mind mastery" on ally to give an extra attack (or bonus 10' move) on the DMM's turn? It would seem that it could, though the intent seems to be more defensive (use on enemy to attack his own teammate or move him somewhere more advantageous for you). I have enclosed a description of the ability below. Thanks!

"Mind Mastery. The duergar targets one creature it can see within 60 feet of it. The target must succeed on a DC 12 Intelligence saving throw, or the duergar causes it to use its reaction either to make one weapon attack against another creature the duergar can see or to move up to 10 feet in a direction of the duergar's choice. Creatures that can't be charmed are immune to this effect."

Based on RAW looks legit. If you have a rogue on your team he is going to wet his pants. Just need to ask your DM if he allows the PC to auto fail saves. In past editions I believe it was a part of the rules, but I think 5e is silent on that.

Unoriginal
2020-09-24, 06:59 AM

Yes, the Mind Master can target an ally for it. It does however burns their reaction for the turn regardless of what the target wants, hence the save. And burning the enemy's reaction + controlling their movement or making them hurt an ally is likely to be more useful than giving one more attack or +10ft of movement to an ally at the cost of their reaction.

Still, the DMM can indeed do it.

micahaphone
2020-09-25, 11:36 AM
Stripping away your ally's freedom and forcing them to do something that's for the good of the group is very on brand for a dueregar too.

kbob
2020-09-25, 04:53 PM
Stripping away your ally's freedom and forcing them to do something that's for the good of the group is very on brand for a dueregar too.

I thought much the same. Ha

Thanks to everyone who replied.