PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Feat to beat True Seeing?

Jack_Simth
2020-09-24, 06:45 AM
Hello all,

I have a memory of a thing that let a Changeling beat True Seeing, if they stay in a specific form for a long time. I don't remember the name or where it was from, though. Any ideas?

Zanos
2020-09-24, 06:51 AM
Are you thinking of Cloak of Khyber ? It's a day/level spell that lets you fool true seeing with a magical disguise, but it provides no other protection.

Crake
2020-09-24, 06:55 AM
I don't know of any feat, but there is the spell cloak of khyber, from Eberron's City fo Stormreach. It works for any shapeshifter, not just changelings, 3rd level sorc/wiz spell with a 50gp arcane focus in the form of a Khyber dragonshard, the spell lasts 1 day per level, and shields a disguised creature from true seeing as long as they have been in the same form for at least 6 hours. As an added benefit it also has an effect of undetectable alignment as well on top of the protection from true seeing.

The spell is personal, so you can't make potions of it, or have someone else cast it on you either, though you could probably make a permanent magic item of it if you were so inclined and your DM allowed it, such an item would cost around 15,000gp

Jack_Simth
2020-09-24, 06:56 AM
Are you thinking of Cloak of Khyber ? It's a day/level spell that lets you fool true seeing with a magical disguise, but it provides no other protection.
I don't think I was, but it'll cover the intended purpose nevertheless.

Crake
2020-09-24, 06:57 AM
I don't think I was, but it'll cover the intended purpose nevertheless.

You sure? because cloak of khyber even specifically has that clause you mentioned about having to stay in the same form for a while before it comes into effect

Venger
2020-09-24, 07:46 AM
You are probably thinking of persona immersion from races of eberron (which does not block true seeing) and mingling it with the aforementioned cloak of khyber (which does.) Mask of gentility, while not being changeling specific, does provide an unbeatable cloak for your alignment, so it may also be that.

sleepyphoenixx
2020-09-24, 09:49 AM
Spymaster's Deep Cover ability should work.
Blocks any divinations from revealing information that's not appropriate for your cover identity. So if your cover identity includes an appearance change that's included.

Another alternative is Insidious Magic (PGtF). Magic-only so it doesn't work for changelings and it can't be used with transmutation spells, but it'll force an CL check on any True Seeing user for any of your spells so it's great for illusionists.

Doctor Despair
2020-09-24, 11:17 AM
At LA+1, if you qualify, God Blooded of Vevna arguably works, too:

Cloak of Mystery (Su): All knowledge of the Vecna-blooded
creature fades from the world. Its original name, its deeds
before becoming Vecna-blooded, and so forth, disappear from
memory. Only Vecna and the Vecna-blooded creature retain
this knowledge.

A Vecna-blooded creature gains immunity to all divination
spells cast against it or cast to learn information about it.
Such divination fails to reveal any information. The Vecnablooded creature immediately learns the name, appearance, and location of the caster who attempted the divination.