PDA

View Full Version : Corellon Larethian ... all domains?

bean illus
2020-09-24, 03:32 PM
I've gotten distracted from my archery projects ...

Does anyone have a list of all Corellon Domains? Here's what i have so far.

Arborea
Celerity
Chaos
Community
Elf
Good
Liberation
Magic
Protection
War

EDIT: full list from below

14 domains of Corellon Larethian, and their source books.

Chaos PHb
Good PHb
Protection PHb
War PHb

Community CDiv
Mysticism CDiv
Elf FaP
Magic FaP
Liberation GH
Celerity LGhD v2.0
Arborea PlHb

Pride Dr 283, 323
Zeal Dr 335
Holy DrAnn 6

I will get to pick several. What, in your opinion are the weakest, and the strongest? Why?

Obviously, Magic is good, as is Celerity. I'll probably be taking War ...

What order would you take them in? Reasons?

Thanks.

Venger
2020-09-24, 03:50 PM
If you use dragon magazine, he also grants pride domain. Do you have a source on where he's granted the arborea, celerity, community, elf, liberation, or magic domains? All I can find for him in deities and demigods or races of the wild are chaos, good, protection, and law.

How many total do you get to pick? What level are you getting them at? What is your chassis? That may influence how useful they are for your character specifically. Any alignment domains go straight at the bottom of the heap since they are terrible either way.

Wildstag
2020-09-24, 04:03 PM
I've gotten distracted from my archery projects ...

Does anyone have a list of all Corellon Domains? Here's what i have so far.

Arborea
Celerity
Chaos
Community
Elf
Good
Liberation
Magic
Protection
War

I will get to pick several. What, in your opinion are the weakest, and the strongest? Why?

Obviously, Magic is good, as is Celerity. I'll probably be taking War ...

What order would you take them in? Reasons?

Thanks.

Order depends on the PrC path you go into. In a previous character, I took Good and Chaos just for simplicity's sake and then got War as a bonus domain from Ordained Champion. Celerity domain is pretty strong though; if I weren't going into a PrC, I'd get Celerity and War as my two picks.

bean illus
2020-09-24, 06:28 PM
If you use dragon magazine, he also grants pride domain. Do you have a source on where he's granted the arborea, celerity, community, elf, liberation, or magic domains? All I can find for him in deities and demigods or races of the wild are chaos, good, protection, and law.

How many total do you get to pick? What level are you getting them at? What is your chassis? That may influence how useful they are for your character specifically. Any alignment domains go straight at the bottom of the heap since they are terrible either way.

Law and Chaos domains on the same deity?
Lol. Autotype?

I think Corellon is assigned Magic in Forgotten Realms' Faiths and Pantheons.
... also Elf in FR?

From Curmudgeon ...

It's (celerity) from Living Greyhawk Deities v2.0, page 37.

According to Giles the Cleric ...

Corellon Larethian, Gh, FR (CD 109, 110, DaD 58, 62, Drag283 39, PHB 32, 106, RotW 20, FaP 125, FRCS 238, DA5 104)

The sum of all of of Corellon Larethian's domains are: Celerity, Chaos, Community, Elf, Good, Liberation, Magic, Plant, Protection, and War. I haven't yet gotten to "C" yet in my final list of deities, so I don't know the sum of available favoured weapons; you'll have to check each of the sources listed. Celerity is from one of these sources: LGD 37, LGCS 11 (Living Greyhawk Deities v2.0, Living Greyhawk Campaign Setting).
... so that adds Plant?

Hmmm, though this link seems dead, i got this from an old bookmark ...

From http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=lg/articles/lg20030521deitiessearch :

Name (Gender): Corellon Larethian (m)
Rank, areas of concern: Greater Deity of Elves, Magic, Music, Arts & Crafts, War
Followers: Elven
AL: CG
Domains: Chaos, Good, Magic, Protection, War
Prestige Domain(s): Community, Creation, Divination, Exorcism, Glory, Mind, Mysticism, Summoning
Weapon : Longsword (m)
Weapon of the Deity spell: +1 keen longsword

Actually, some of those aren't on my list (yet?), and some seem ... outta left field.

Arborea ... is this 5e? Lol. Regardless, i don't intend to choose it, so it's a moot point.

So, the build: not sure yet but ... probably ... Cleric 20 with the standard prcs. (I know some of this looks late, but feats/etc are predicating the build)

Cleric 1-6 War, open domain

Ruathar
SotMI Travel
DO Oracle

Divine Disciple
Contemplative open domain

Divine Disciple 4 open domain
Contemplative 6 open domain

*I hope to actually finish, and show the whole build soon.

Venger
2020-09-24, 06:51 PM
Law and Chaos domains on the same deity?
Lol. Autotype?
ugh. Yeah, it was autocorrect. i was listing them alphabetically, so that last one was supposed to be "war," not law.

I think it might be easier to keep track of if I write them out by book. I'll bold anything that adds in a new domain that isn't printed above

FaP: chaos, elf, good, magic, protection, war.
FRCS: Chaos, Elf, Good, Magic, Protection, War
cdiv: chaos, community, good, protection, war
dd: chaos, good, protection, war
phb: chaos, good, protection, war
rotw: chaos, good, protection, war

I don't know what da5 is short for and don't have that issue of dragon magazine. Maybe he gets the plant domain there?

In none of the sources I checked did he have the Creation, Divination, Exorcism, Glory, Mind, Mysticism, or Summoning domains, so I assume they were added in random issues of dragon magazine, since those are all the good domains.

I don't think arborea is on his list of domains in 5e (I'm not sure if arborea even exists in 5e) so I'm not sure how it got on your list.

If you're starting cleric, you may as well prc out after 5 rather than 6 since it doesn't give you anything else for another level.

Ok, you're a seeker of the misty isle, so there's no point in you picking magic as one of your initials since you'll get it later, and you get free travel for some reason so that's cool. Definitely opt for travel devotion. Are you staying for magic domain or leaving after 4 to avoid losing caster levels?

If you can find a source for plant domain, that's one you should pick first to get a second pool of turns to power divine feats. If you're starting at really low levels, war might be useful since it gets you a better weapon proficiency. if you're starting at mid or high levels it's less important. If you aren't getting magic from seeker, you should take it as your second domain and like any cleric consider going cloistered for free knowledge devotion since you seem in no way gishy.

Maat Mons
2020-09-24, 07:09 PM
Planar Handbook gives him Arborea.

Dragon 355 gives him Zeal, tough that was never reprinted in a 1st party book.

Bullet06320
2020-09-24, 08:25 PM
I don't know what da5 is short for and don't have that issue of dragon magazine. Maybe he gets the plant domain there?

Dragon Annual 5 pg 104 gives Chaos, Protection, Good and War

bean illus
2020-09-24, 08:37 PM
If you're starting cleric, you may as well prc out after 5 rather than 6 since it doesn't give you anything else for another level.

Ok, you're a seeker of the misty isle, so there's no point in you picking magic as one of your initials since you'll get it later, and you get free travel for some reason so that's cool. Definitely opt for travel devotion. Are you staying for magic domain or leaving after 4 to avoid losing caster levels?

... and like any cleric consider going cloistered for free knowledge devotion since you seem in no way gishy.

I'm gonna flip those back in alphabetical order, now that you've found their sources. I'm not positive where plant or liberation get attributed to Corellon (though i trust Giles the Cleric)

X Arborea PlHb
Celerity LGhD v2.0
Chaos PHb
Community CDiv
* Elf FaP
X Good PHb
Liberation SC 276
* Magic FaP
Protection PHb
* War PHb
X Zeal Dr 335

* = yes
X = probably not

Plant won't be needed, as this isn't a devotion feat cleric, it's a bonus domain/powers cleric (with a twist). Not sure on Liberation, but it doesn't sound like a favorite, so ...

And no, i can't afford any (more) caster loss (the secret ingredient).

To be more clear on leveling ...

Cleric 1 War, Elf?
2 Secret ingredient

6 Church Inquisitor

7 Ruathar
8 SotMI Travel
9 DO Oracle

10 Divine Disciple
11 Contemplative Magic?
12 Divine Disciple 2

13 Divine Disciple 3
14 Divine Disciple 4 open domain
15 Contemplative 2

16 Contemplative 3
17 Contemplative 4
18 Contemplative 5

19 Contemplative 6 open domain
20 ? Cleric caster?

So, at least 2 more domains. But which ones? At which levels? I'll probably pick up Celerity from the Living Greyhawk Deities v2.0,

So, an even more clear question:
Which order for Elf, Celerity, and Magic, and which other 1-2 domains?

Thurbane
2020-09-24, 09:12 PM
Hoping I'm not duplicating answers, but:

Living Greyhawk deities (https://www.wizards.com/lg) PDF lists Celerity, Chaos, Community, Good, Liberation, Magic, Protection and War.

The link in my extended sig lists Chaos, Community, Elf, Good, Liberation, Pride, Protection, War and Zeal.

Troacctid's Comprehensive Deity Database (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?571607) lists Celerity, Chaos, Community, Elf, Good, Liberation, Magic, Protection, Pride, War and Zeal.

bean illus
2020-09-24, 10:13 PM
Hoping I'm not duplicating answers, but:

Living Greyhawk deities (https://www.wizards.com/lg) PDF lists Celerity, Chaos, Community, Good, Liberation, Magic, Protection and War.

The link in my extended sig lists Chaos, Community, Elf, Good, Liberation, Pride, Protection, War and Zeal.

Troacctid's Comprehensive Deity Database (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?571607) lists Celerity, Chaos, Community, Elf, Good, Liberation, Magic, Protection, Pride, War and Zeal.

Well, you did duplicate answers, but you did it SO ... comprehensively. Thanks.

Wow, i never opened your extended sig. That's darn useful. You're my new hero.

So here's the list, as i see it:
(Not sure where Pride is listed)

Arborea PlHb
Celerity LGhD v2.0
Chaos PHb
Community CDiv
Elf FaP
Good PHb
Liberation GH
Magic FaP
Pride
Protection PHb
War PHb
Zeal Dr 335

Venger
2020-09-24, 10:26 PM
Pride domain is attributed to him in issue 283 of dragon magazine.

Khedrac
2020-09-25, 02:44 AM
6 Church Inquisitor
How do you get Church Inquisitor?

Special: Must be a member of a lawful good church or religious order
As was discussed, his having the Law domain was a typo, he has the chaos domain so wannabe church inquisitors need not apply.

ShurikVch
2020-09-25, 02:58 AM
Pride domain is attributed to him in issue 283 of dragon magazine.
Actually, in the #323 - "Seven Deadly Domains: Spells for Sinners" article: it distributed seven aforementioned domain among the existing deities.
Disregarding the Good/Evil label: say, Moradin got Avarice, Pride, and Wrath (the latter isn't from the Book of Exalted Deeds, but a variant from the very same article)

thorr-kan
2020-09-25, 10:24 AM
Mysticism domain is for *everybody!* OK. Almost everybody.

Complete Divine:
Core Deities: None.
Other Deities: None. Neutral, Lawful Neutral, and Chaotic Neutral deities would never have this domain.

Dragon Annual 6/d20 Special, p60:
Holy
Deities: All

bean illus
2020-09-25, 08:10 PM
How do you get Church Inquisitor?

As was discussed, his having the Law domain was a typo, he has the chaos domain so wannabe church inquisitors need not apply.

No answers for the OP? Just questions?
Jus jokin.

{Scrubbed}

I'm having a party tonight, but let me work on the build for another day or few, and I'll tell you (you'll probably figure it out before then).

While you're here, what order would you take these domains in, if you could take 7?

Celerity LGhD v2.0
Community CDiv
Elf FaP
Liberation SC 276
Pride
Protection PHb
War PHb
Zeal Dr 335

Troacctid
2020-09-25, 08:31 PM
I personally really like Celerity. It has good spells and a good domain power.

Definitely opt for travel devotion. Are you staying for magic domain or leaving after 4 to avoid losing caster levels?

If you can find a source for plant domain, that's one you should pick first to get a second pool of turns to power divine feats.
The actual travel domain is way better than Travel Devotion if you're a cleric. The spells are fantastic and the domain power is really good. I would never swap it for delayed swift action movement.

And unfortunately most divine feats are only powered by turn/rebuke undead, so rebuking plants doesn't help with that.

Venger
2020-09-25, 09:03 PM
If you wanted to enter church inquisitor, clerics in eberron can ignore their deity's alignment, so you could be LN or or LG. If your game's set in faerun and the gm's enforcing alignment reqs, you can just take heretic of the faith and be LG. It also allows you to change one of your domains to another one of your choice, and change your favored weapon to one of your choice.

I would rank priority of the domains:
pride
celerity
protection
liberation
war
zeal
elf

obviously if you do choose to take heretic of the faith, whatever domain you pick would go at the top of the pile and you'd move everything else down one.

bean illus
2020-09-25, 09:14 PM
... , you can just take heretic of the faith and be CG. It also allows you to change one of your domains to another one of your choice, and change your favored weapon to one of your choice.

Bingo!

I would rank priority of the domains:
pride
celerity
protection
liberation
war
zeal
elf

obviously if you do choose to take heretic of the faith, whatever domain you pick would go at the top of the pile and you'd move everything else down one.

Thanks alot!
I was begining to see pride and protection as higher priority, and elf and war as lower, but ... I'm still not positive.
See, besides the powers, some have spells i might want at low levels, while others it's the high level spells I'll want.

I'll look at it again with your suggestions in mind, and report back here, probably tomorrow.

Venger
2020-09-25, 09:25 PM
Bingo!
Thanks alot!
I was begining to see pride and protection as higher priority, and elf and war as lower, but ... I'm still not positive.
See, besides the powers, some have spells i might want at low levels, while others it's the high level spells I'll want.

I'll look at it again with your suggestions in mind, and report back here, probably tomorrow.
I obviously meant LG, sorry for the typo.

Pride's granted power is really good and will be useful your whole career. Protection only grants you two spells that aren't already on your list: mind blank and prismatic sphere. You have better things to do with your domain 9th. You can get mind blank at the same level from the liberation and its domain's granted power is much better.

Again, while spells that aren't on the cleric list are an important factor in choosing domains, that's heavily reliant on what level you're starting at, so it would be smart to take it into consideration.

Khedrac
2020-09-26, 03:44 AM
No answers for the OP? Just questions?
Jus jokin.

{Scrub the post, scrub the quote}

I'm having a party tonight, but let me work on the build for another day or few, and I'll tell you (you'll probably figure it out before then).

While you're here, what order would you take these domains in, if you could take 7?

Celerity LGhD v2.0
Community CDiv
Elf FaP
Liberation SC 276
Pride
Protection PHb
War PHb
Zeal Dr 335

{Scrubbed}

As for not adding an answer to the original question, when the other posters have done a very good job of covering the original question I see no need to repeat what has alreayd been said.

I see some other posters have helpfully suggested possible ways round the Church Inquisitor problem, though I would expand on them to say that you need a whole order of people using the Heretic of the Faith feat or similar to qualify as the requirement is "a lawful good church or religious order" - just being LG yourself is not sufficient.
That said, I can see an elven LG religious order that honours the pantheon of elven deities having church inquisitors even though most of the individual gods are chaotic.

As for the order in which to take the domains, to a significant extent that depends on how you are building the character, but I can go for a rough first draft:
1: Celerity
2: Pride
3: Liberation
4: Zeal
5: War
6: Community
7: Elf
Note: this is very much not an archer build.

bean illus
2020-09-26, 09:59 AM
{Scrub the post, scrub the quote}

{Scrubbed}

I was honestly just surprised that an accomplished poster like yourself didn't yet recognize that I was using heretic of the faith. I hope that that apology clears things up between us.

I NEVER insult on the internet, and especially not on gitp. I have enough character flaws, without alienating people on a forum i use.

As for the order in which to take the domains, to a significant extent that depends on how you are building the character, but I can go for a rough first draft:
1: Celerity
2: Pride
3: Liberation
4: Zeal
5: War
6: Community
7: Elf
Note: this is very much not an archer build.

Thank you, Khedrac.

Khedrac
2020-09-26, 10:31 AM
I NEVER insult on the internet, and especially not on gitp. I have enough character flaws, without alienating people on a forum i use.Me too. I never noticed it was my rank! - I am so glad to hear that you didn't mean it negatively :D

bean illus
2020-09-26, 01:25 PM
I see some other posters have helpfully suggested possible ways round the Church Inquisitor problem, though I would expand on them to say that you need a whole order of people using the Heretic of the Faith feat or similar to qualify as the requirement is "a lawful good church or religious order" - just being LG yourself is not sufficient.
That said, I can see an elven LG religious order that honours the pantheon of elven deities having church inquisitors even though most of the individual gods are chaotic.

I've always thought of the 'church or order' clause as a fluff/DM fiat sorta thing. For the sake of due diligence, I've searched for those terms in the google, and come up short. Nada. The terms are vague enough that it could include an order created by the PC themselves.

You're proposed situation is quite acceptable, and reasonable. After all, who needs an LG religious order any more than a chaotic good pantheon? Those chaotic neutral clerics are one step away from chaotic evil!

bean illus
2020-09-27, 10:04 PM
What happens if you are granted a domain that you already have?

I know that with Ordained Champion, if you have War, you choose any other domain your deity offers. Are there rules for other instances? Say you already have Travel before you enter Seeker of the Misty Isle?

Btw, what if, on the off chance you acquire a domain, but you already have all of your deities domains?

*** While I'm here ...
Would Eidetic Spellcaster work with Anyspell? I understand you would need to have seen the written spell once, but then it would work fine, right?

Troacctid
2020-09-27, 10:27 PM
What happens if you are granted a domain that you already have?

I know that with Ordained Champion, if you have War, you choose any other domain your deity offers. Are there rules for other instances? Say you already have Travel before you enter Seeker of the Misty Isle?
Then you should strongly consider retraining your other domain or replacing it with a domain feat. Multiples of the same domain are redundant.

Btw, what if, on the off chance you acquire a domain, but you already have all of your deities domains?
Some domains are available to any deity, notably Incarnum, Holy (DM discretion), Transformation (must have the shapechanger subtype), and planar domains (only available under certain conditions). Or, again, you could trade it for a domain feat.

bean illus
2020-09-27, 11:08 PM
Then you should strongly consider retraining your other domain or replacing it with a domain feat. Multiples of the same domain are redundant.

Am i to assume that's a no? There isn't a rule or errata saying you can pick a different domain?

Some domains are available to any deity, notably Incarnum, Holy (DM discretion), Transformation (must have the shapechanger subtype), and planar domains (only available under certain conditions). Or, again, you could trade it for a domain feat.
Thanks.

EDIT: I Can't seem to find Holy domain anywhere

Silly Name
2020-09-28, 05:45 AM
Am i to assume that's a no? There isn't a rule or errata saying you can pick a different domain?

It works similarly to bonus feats - unless the class feature explicitely states I can take another feat for which I qualify, then I'm stuck with two of the same feat.

E.G., if I already have both Improved Grapple and Stunning Fist and I take one level in Monk, I won't be getting any bonus feats. But some classes do state "if the character already has X feat, they can select any other feat for which they qualify in its place" (mostly some PrCs, IIRC).

Stoic
2020-09-28, 09:21 AM
EDIT: I Can't seem to find Holy domain anywhere

I spotted the answer to that in thorr-kan's post in the St. Cuthbert thread

Dragon Annual 6/d20 Special, p60

bean illus
2020-09-28, 09:23 AM
I spotted the answer to that in thorr-kan's post in the St. Cuthbert thread

Yes, it's second party, but ogl. I don't have a copy, and can't find it on the net.

thorr-kan
2020-10-02, 01:26 PM
Quoted for completeness:

Deities: All
Granted Power: Choose one from Chaos, Evil, Good, or Law depending on your alignment (e.g. lawful good may choose either Law or Good). This choice applies to the domain spell for each level when there are different versions depending on alignment. You cast all Holy domain spells at +1 caster level. Characters of the neutral alignment may not choose this domain.
Holy Domains Spells
1 - Protection from chaos/evil/good/law
2 - Spiritual weapon
3 - Magic circle against chaos/evil/good/law
4 - Divine smite*
5 - Dispel chaos/evil/good/law
6 - Lesser planar ally
7 - Word of chaos/evil/good/law
8 - Aura of faith*
9 - Summon monster IX**
*Spell found in Codex Arcanis
**Cast as a spell of the chosen descriptor only.

bean illus
2020-10-16, 11:12 PM
And here's the updated list, with sources. Let me know if i missed something. 14 total.

Chaos PHb
Good PHb
Protection PHb
War PHb

Community CDiv
Mysticism CDiv
Elf FaP
Magic FaP
Liberation GH
Celerity LGhD v2.0
Arborea PlHb

Pride Dr 283, 323