New comic is up.

innk
2007-11-01, 10:58 PM
OMG

thats.. great
i mean..

really great ¬¬

edit.
let me explain better so ppl wont ban me for saying.. nothing..
It was a great strip and stuff, plot-wise its really interesting and all.. but i was REALLY expecting something really GREAT you know? Like 200, 300, 400..

Nonetheless, not saying i disliked, awesome strip, and now i cant wait to see 501, GRRR :smallfurious:

PaladinFreak
2007-11-01, 11:02 PM
Yet another "SON OF A ****" comic!

Leper_Kahn
2007-11-01, 11:02 PM
Wow... Well there won't be anymore speculation about 500!

P.S. Roy's dad is a jerk.

Alex Kidd
2007-11-01, 11:03 PM
Go Roy!

The ones getting married are so the named soldiers.

Blaznak
But where is the happy couple registered?

Barachiel
That was a great 500th strip.

Just when my opinion of Eugene couldn't get any lower, he goes and proves me wrong. Roy was right; nothing he could say or do would ever change someone who doesn't want to be changed. He... just doesn't get it, and that may be the biggest tragedy in the whole damn story.

Solo
Wow... Well there won't be anymore speculation about 500!

What's 501 gonna be like?

Jasdoif
The interaction between Eugene and Roy is great, but I honestly can't decide if I should be annoyed that what might've been an answer turns out to be another cliffhanger instead. So I'll just overlook that and say, "Good show!"

Good show!

Mathgeek
2007-11-01, 11:04 PM
Wow, really long. Very good.

Also... Hinjo and Shark-girl?
Not nameless footsoldiers?
Ax and, umm, V? No, (s)he's already got a spouse...

I really can't say. Probably not Elan and Haley, anyway.

Zakama
Wuuuuut, Did not see that coming. Who wants to bet it's not Elan and Haley?

Who gets married threads: the new Miko threads!

holywhippet
Go Roy!

The ones getting married are so the named soldiers.

Quite likely, if Elan and Haley were reunited you'd expect Roy to have been raised.

Inigo Montoya
2007-11-01, 11:05 PM
YAY!!!! Durkon is still alive!:durkon: And I'd bet that's Kazumi & Daigo getting married!

Great job Giant. Really great job.

Pandaren
One word, *gaspity*

Edit:
For a sec, I was wondering why Durkon was doing the ceremony...then I remembered he was a cleric. =P

Waspinator

The Circus of Values

Fineous Orlon
2007-11-01, 11:06 PM
Hard to believe Eugene agreed that quickly. Maybe he really did want to help his son with something. Wonder if he is changing?

Lumenadducere
I know everyone's going to think it's Elan and Haley, but I'm pretty sure it's Kazumi and Daigo.

And I'm glad to see Roy's growth in regards to his father, even if it is a little disappointing to see just how shallow Eugene really is.

Oh, and it's good to see the question of how long it took him to get down the mountain answered.

Alysar
Wuuuuut, Did not see that coming. Who wants to bet it's not Elan and Haley?

Wait... AHH what have I started!?!?

Well obviously it's not Elan and Haley. There's no way Rich would make something that obvious.

My guess is that it's
the two previously unnamed guards

Archpaladin Zousha
2007-11-01, 11:07 PM
Odds are, it's not Elan and Haley, unless we're going to get a massive flashback of the events of the past few months. Then again, for all we know the delay in Roy's return to the mortal coil could simply have been from a lack of diamonds. Ressurection spells are meant to be expensive after all, and diamonds are hard to come by out on the ocean, which is where I assume the boats have been all this time.

Solmage
Nice! And erm... :confused:

Ok.. that can't possibly be Haley cause then Roy would be getting raised what with him being inside her bag...

...unless she lost her bag...

Ahh, I know, it's so obvious. Miko came back from the dead and married Belkar! :smallcool:

Azzurus
Now THAT was a cliffhanger!

Demented
Bwahaha, so much commotion, and yet so little resolution.
Seems the old adage is true. Life goes on.

PaladinFreak
Man... I'm really wondering who the couple are!

Catch
2007-11-01, 11:08 PM
*sniff* I always cry at weddings...

Great comic, though. Roy's only been dead for a few months and he's really gained some wisdom. I loved that exchange between father and son, you can see who's changed and who never will.

Hasivel
2007-11-01, 11:09 PM
Obviously it's Razor and Argent getting married.

[..]Stigma[..]
I dunno. I'm glad Roy's finally figured his dad out, but is the world on the ground going to continue from where Roy knows it? As in, story-wise? Or are we going to see the story of what happened in the months that Roy's been in the afterlife?

MCerberus
Crazy reveal plus an insanely large amount of unanswered questions plus new ones. The gods of chaos are much pleased!

Behold_the_Void
2007-11-01, 11:10 PM
Actually, it could be Elan and Haley.

Haley and Belkar get out and manage to make it back to the group. It's been a long time, after all. They're getting married now, Durkon will prepare the resurrection spell in the morning when he is able.

Pip
2007-11-01, 11:11 PM
I just got one question. Are we sure that dad is going to get to go up the mountain once the blood oath is fulfilled? He seems closer to true neutral then lawful good.

Oh, and congrats Giant on #500!

Krytha
ARGLBARGL! There is too much suffering. Why the cliffhangerrrrr?!

Felixaar
im actually gunna guess Elan and Haley (just cause I want bragging rights for the first person to say it if it is them) because I doubt Rich would give us something that makes that jump to our mind so quickly. Or possibly Hinjo and Lien (wouldnt Azurite citizens feel bad being married by a priest of Thor?)

Dr. Magic
2007-11-01, 11:13 PM
I really hope we walk into a whole new post-war status quo. Like, they've already got a sixth OOTSer to replace Roy (even though they may or may not have reunited), or someone is wearing an eye patch, or some cool "lost time" scenario.

MCerberus
[Sploiler]It's actually Latte and Pizza's sister Calzone[/spoiler]

okay that was just crazy. Great cliffhangers and much to talk about.

tiaxrulesall
-it was kinda disappointing for the 500th strip

-i was expecting him to scry something like durkon about to be killed by xylon or something...

kabbor
2007-11-01, 11:14 PM
Who got married?The two not-nameless soldiers are obvious, but that seems like a cop-out. Any others would violate some rules of litteracy. So, I am going with Haley and Elan. If they did not make it in time, they need to go in search of a true res. The time apart would be enough to make the two of them tie the knot around their necks.

Pax_Chi
Anyone else realize that Roy has just prevented Eugene from seeing his other son?

SurlySeraph
I think Haley's probably still in the city - I don't think Rich would pass up the chance to show us how Haley and Belkar got out. My guess is that Hinjo and Lien are getting married.

Hood
2007-11-01, 11:15 PM
Wow. Geez.

Really shows a... semi-different... side of Eugene. He apparently still wants Roy to stay with him, for some twisted reason. Selfishness? Loneliness? Who knows?

And the last panel; I didn't expect THAT to be the returning scene. Definately took me by complete surprise. A surprising turn of events there.

5tephen
Hip HIP - HOORAY!

(I love weddings.)

It's really wonderful to see Roy growing emotionally beyond his father, and I just bet that it's Elan and Hayley. Well, hope fervently. I reckon the Giant wants to explore some of those emotional themes within his world. And that will make this comic even deeper and more relevant as an artwork. Which is saying something, considering it already deals with some pretty involved and emotional issues.

Oh, and CONGRATULATIONS, Giant. Well done on hitting the big 5-0-0.

Natural20
My guess would be Hinjo and Haley. Yes, I'm crazy. Crazy like a fox! Maybe they caught up to them in the 3 and a half months! It can get awfully lonely out there in the sea, and Hinjo's a good looking cad...with an impressive junk.

Leewei
Just to be different, I'm guessing it's Hinjo marrying to solidify his political position in order to reclaim Azure City.

Charles Phipps
2007-11-01, 11:16 PM
Seriously, what the :censored: is wrong with Eugene?

And that was cruel of Roy.

He doesn't want his father to ever visit his other son?

Zakama
2007-11-01, 11:16 PM
I thought it was going to be Beardy reviving Roy at first. The Giant really knows how to make the plot do a 180 from what everyone thinks.

Also, the server isn't on the ground foaming at the mouth and twitching! yay!

FoE
2007-11-01, 11:17 PM
Wuh ... we have to wait 'til next week?

:eek: NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Now, as a fellow storyteller, I recognize the value of a good cliffhanger. And that was a good cliffhanger. So no gripes there.

That being said, I MUST DESTROY YOU NOW. :smallfurious:

*STRANGLE AUTHOR*

P.S. Congrats on Strip #500. :smallsmile:

NeonRonin
2007-11-01, 11:18 PM
DUDE. ANOTHER cliffhanger.

Okay, I'll admit it was a nice little bit of verbal sparring between the Greenhilts, but I was hoping we'd see more of what actually happened down there. Oh well... at least we didn't have to bear witness to something horrifically awful.

Dunno if it's Kazumi and Daigo getting married, or Elan and Haley, or Hinjo and Lien... they're all pretty viable options. OR, maybe it's somebody we haven't even met at this point.

Oh... and Eugene's still a jerk.

(But apparently he doesn't feel right without Roy verbally lashing out at him; just thought that was interesting. Good way for Roy to get him to scry, anyhow.)

Pax_Chi
2007-11-01, 11:18 PM
Seriously, what the :censored: is wrong with Eugene?

He doesn't want his father to ever visit his other son?

I think Roy is doing that more for the benefit of his family rather than to spite Eugene. Besides, Eugene agreed to it rather readily.

Faramir
2007-11-01, 11:19 PM
Great cliffhanger.

And I agree with Pax_chi. If I had to guess, I think that

Roy is trying to protect his dad, that seeing his brother would hurt him in some way, probably related to the unspecified accident

Tharr
The 500 sucked filler and the married couple is Banjo and female sock.

StupidFatHobbit
Awww. :smallsmile: They even decorated their junk for the wedding. Now that's what I call attention to detail.

No speculation from me, just a round of applause for the ongoing character development and I'm looking forward to seeing how things develop.

Warlord JK
2007-11-01, 11:20 PM
I doubt we are getting a flashback. We might get one like when Elan and Thog crash through the window on Nale and Haley, but that would be a LONG flashback. First thought it might be Haley then saw all this. I bet its the nameless soldiers.

Platinum_Mongoose
Hip hip huzzah!
Congratulations on 500, Giant.

Rogue 7
Bwahaha, so much commotion, and yet so little resolution.
Seems the old adage is true. Life goes on.
Heh. Seeing as Roy's in the afterlife, I'm particularly reminded of the song- I forget who sang it- "Oh yeah, life goes on, long after the thrill of living is gone."

Oh, and good comic. Nice reverse psychology/Eugene just being contrary.

Faramir
2007-11-01, 11:21 PM
Oh, and at this point I'm not really giving Eugene good odds of getting up that mountain even if Xykon is defeated...

kabbor
2007-11-01, 11:21 PM
I just got one question. Are we sure that dad is going to get to go up the mountain once the blood oath is fulfilled? He seems closer to true neutral then lawful good.

Oh, and congrats Giant on #500!

Maybe his son. popping in and out like a jack in the box, will have enough time to reform him before that happens. Although, being told that he made it (just) because of his son's preaching could cause a relapse. (100' marble statues are in demand.....)

Oh, it is now 112 days and probably 10-12 hours. Hmm, http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0490.html indicates that he was chatting up the deva to some extent. I wonder how many weeks he spent doing that?

BardicDuelist
2007-11-01, 11:22 PM
Anyone else realize that Roy has just prevented Eugene from seeing his other son?

Yes, but I also realize that, apparently, Eugene doesn't care.

plainsfox
2007-11-01, 11:23 PM
I bet it's Kazumi and Daigoro that got married. I hope it is....

innk
2007-11-01, 11:23 PM
Btw.

Can Eugene be THAT jerk and still be LG?
I mean, being a jerk is ok, but cmom, accept so quickly to never ever go visit his wife and son on after life really doesnt sounds like GOOD for me...

Just saying out of load, im no D&D expert or nothing at all..

Pax_Chi
2007-11-01, 11:24 PM
In a sad way, it's entirely possible that Eugene really doesn't know any way to relate to non-spellcasting males except by being a condescending jerk, possible due to how he interacted with his father. It's also possible that on some level he enjoys the verbal sparring as the closest thing to a "game" that the two have, as its apparently the only quasi-intellectual interaction the two seem to do with one another.

ref
It would be cool if it was Lien and Hinjo, but most likely it's Kazumi and Daigo. Then again, Rich is not one to do the most likely thing, as he has proved several times. So who knows?

At the people that is all, like, "Roy is so cruel, Eugene can't see his son", well, Eugene killed his son due to his stupidity. If he didn't care then, why on Prime Material should he care now?

Thanks again, Rich, for this cool 3.25-length comic strip. Maybe he pulled one on us by doing something not too breaking plot-wise, as everyone expected. Maybe it's really a key twist, and in this case the Giant would have pulled TWO on us.

Clucky
Am I the only one more than a little disappointed in this strip? Don't get me wrong, it was a great strip... I love how annoying Roy's dad can be and it looks like Roy has actually been learning a thing or two. But this was supposed to be strip 500. It was supposed to answer all the plot questions with much awesomeness. All it did was add more, with much awesomeness. (If Durkon is still alive, why didn't he raise Roy? Who is getting married?) I guess I had my expectations set for "Incredibly Awesome" and it was only "Awesome". I mean, the only reason a wedding is a big deal is if it is Haley and Elan (or V and Belkar). But the first is way too predictable for OOTS and the second is way to icky to even thing about. Sure it would be cool to see the previously unnamed guards getting married--but hardly a N00 strip worthy. Oh well, I guess everyone has their preferences and tastes, and mine just weren't totally met in this strip. =)

*goes back to refreshing again and again until all the plot questions are answered*

FoE
2007-11-01, 11:25 PM
You fools!!! It's obviously going to be Kazumi and Daigo, the two "nameless" guards, who are getting married.

plainsfox
2007-11-01, 11:27 PM
We don't know, do we? It could be Elthan and Lien. Lien having consoled Elthan during Haley's long absence and maybe even death.

Or any other combination our twisted mind can think of.

ref
And I'm surprise noone has said it yet... HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ROY!!

Randugulf
Roy is 29? Wow. I always figured he was 24-25 ish.

Caledonian
2007-11-01, 11:28 PM
This is the saddest strip yet. Not in the sense of tearjerking, but in grief.

Porthos
2007-11-01, 11:29 PM
Well, proof positive that Eugene no longer cares about Sara (though Eric is still borderline - he might not know Eric is staying at Sara's place).

Jerk.

As for the newly married couple:

<Adam Savage>
45% chance Daigo and Kazumi
25% Hinjo and Lien
20% Unknown Couple/Pairing
10% Elan and Haley
</Adam Savage>

The last point would mean that they don't have the requisite gold to rezz Roy, yet.

heroe_de_leyenda
Well obviously it's not Elan and Haley. There's no way Rich would make something that obvious.

My guess is that it's
the two previously unnamed guards

Well, given the circumstances, it is so obvious that it won't be Elan and Haley that... It might actually be them (Being the least obvious posibility now).

turkishproverb
Dunno if it's Kazumi and Daigo getting married, or Elan and Haley, or Hinjo and Lien... they're all pretty viable options. OR, maybe it's somebody we haven't even met at this point.

You know its Belkar and Miko, don't you? :smallcool:

Rockphed

Or he just didn't want Eugene to scry for him and was trying to get him to go away by demanding something that he would never accept. Except that he knew Eugene would take that path. So he must have been forcing Eugene to choose jerkhood over his family.

Eriol
2007-11-01, 11:30 PM
For a marriage suggestion which HASN'T been said yet (well, as of when I was crafting the message it hadn't been said):
I'm gonna throw out Hinjo and Lien as a couple. They're both paladins, and could probably relate well. I agree it's pretty much either them or Kazumi and Daigo, but this couple hadn't been said, and they're both on the ship. Well Lien could almost-certainly get back to the ship on her Shark, so I don't see that as a probable barrier.
Damned cliffhangers!!! :smallfurious:

Alacar Leoricar
2007-11-01, 11:30 PM
Wow.. a lot of angerslinging in this one. Still, it's about time they hashed it out. I'm proud of Roy for being the better man and his dad being naieve.

And the last line? Awwwww...

Bel_Bel
2007-11-01, 11:32 PM
Whiskey.

Tango.

Foxtrot.

WHAT THE HELL???

:smallsigh: Sigh... I should have expected yet ANOTHER cliffhanger. Giant has a lot of explaining to do, and I should have known he would not fit it all into one almighty comic.

This is going to be a fun ride folks! :smallbiggrin:

Oh yeah, for the umpteenth time, I LOVE YOU RICH! You totally rock. :smallamused:

MCerberus
2007-11-01, 11:33 PM
The Reveals:

It appears as though Durkon is still alive

Roy is actually becoming more LG by doing what the Deva said to do (lay of the quips)

Hinjo's junk is still very mighty

More questions:

Is Eugene going to even be let into LG heaven when Xykon is destroyed

Who's getting married?

Roy got down the mountain but can he get back up?

†Seer†
2007-11-01, 11:35 PM
GIANT!! Argh! I love the comic..but I hate the more questions! 'More closure, more answers with 500', I told myself. Now I just have more questions!!

Great comic though!

Schulzy
2007-11-01, 11:35 PM
Well huh, didn't see that one coming.

I, for one, would really like the newlyweds to be Elan and Haley. They're the perfect-ish couple.

silvadel
2007-11-01, 11:36 PM
I think somewhere deep down Eugene knows he isnt going to end up on the mountain. And if he was, that agreement just shot it down the tubes.

Kyeudo
2007-11-01, 11:39 PM
All I can say is: Are they getting married on Hinjo's junk?

sihnfahl
2007-11-01, 11:39 PM
Hm, three, almost 4 months ... and they're still at sea?

I suppose they're having trouble finding a good place to land...

SteveDJ
2007-11-01, 11:41 PM
ARGH!!! You got the line wrong - just like they do in half the TV shows that show a marriage.

It's: "I now pronounce you HUSBAND and wife".

Saying 'man and wife' is stupid, and makes no sense. It would be as silly as saying 'I now pronounce you husband and woman". You just wouldn't do it that way, would you?

<end rant> Sorry, I just get tired of seeing this done the wrong way in so many cases.

Anyway, aside from that... GREAT strip!

the_tick_rules
2007-11-01, 11:44 PM
ya know at first i suspected elan and haley were gettin married, but that would mean haley is back to durkon and would therefore have roy's body and then why isn't roy raised. i'm not thinking it's those 2 soldiers that have been tagging along.

fractal
2007-11-01, 11:44 PM
So, it didn't seem like Sara would mind (limited) interaction with Eugene. Therefore, what is Roy trying to accomplish? Two guesses:

1. Prevent Eugene from going ballistic when he finds out about Sara's boyfriend(s). Eugene could easily have a double standard.

2. Keep Eugene and Eric apart. This makes sense if Roy blames Eugene for Eric's death, although it might still be a bit petty.

Bitzeralisis
2007-11-01, 11:45 PM
Husband and woman sounds even wrong-er than man and wife.

Edna
Another cliffhanger!

I hope he's not going to make us wait until the full 3+ month flashback is over to find out who the happy couple is!

Edna

dklancer
Have the rest of the Order been fishing for as long as Roy has?

Why are they still on a boat?

Knight13
With an attitude like that, I doubt Eugene is getting into the Lawful Good afterlife anyway. Seems to me like he's Neutral AT BEST.

I mean think about it. He doesn't seem to care that Xykon is a danger to the world and Good people everywhere, he just cares about the fact that Xykon's continued existence is preventing him from getting into the afterlife. Furthermore, he made it pretty clear that he never wants to see his wife or any other member of his family ever again and that he only cares about Roy as far as Roy's ability to destroy Xykon.

Pax_Chi
2007-11-01, 11:46 PM
The more I read that strip, the more I realize how much Eugene's outlook on life is all about himself. He's not going to help Roy if he asks for help, but if Roy is going to get help from someone else then it's obviously Roy trying to trick him or get him to play along, which he does so he can see Roy's "attempts at reverse psychology" fail, when Eugene basically just tricked himself.

I have to wonder sometimes if Eugene is based off of someone the Giant knew/knows in real life. Like Shake from ATHF, it sems improbable that someone could come up with that authentic a jerk without having met someone like them in real life.

heroe_de_leyenda
2007-11-01, 11:47 PM

Clearly, you have no idea of how long it takes to travel through the ocean to another continent with a medieval (16th century tops) technology. Ever heard of Columbus?

Seffbasilisk
2007-11-01, 11:47 PM
Awesome comic. I like how we're fully getting a feel for Roy's backstory through this. Little brother (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0496.html) is still my favorite of them though.

dakiwiboid
2007-11-01, 11:48 PM
Saying 'man and wife' is stupid, and makes no sense. It would be as silly as saying 'I now pronounce you husband and woman". You just wouldn't do it that way, would you?

It's correct in some older forms of the Christian marriage rite. It may also be correct for dwarven marriage ritual as well.

Pax_Chi
2007-11-01, 11:49 PM
With an attitude like that, I doubt Eugene is getting into the Lawful Good afterlife anyway. Seems to me like he's Neutral AT BEST.

I mean think about it. He doesn't seem to care that Xykon is a danger to the world and Good people everywhere, he just cares about the fact that Xykon's continued existence is preventing him from getting into the afterlife. Furthermore, he made it pretty clear that he never wants to see his wife or any other member of his family ever again and that he only cares about Roy as far as Roy's ability to destroy Xykon.

I agree, Eugene's really striking me as True Neutral rather than Lawful or Neutral Good.

Though that does make me wonder about something. Why was Roy so worried about possibly not getting into Lawful Good heaven once he'd been told that he fit the criteria for Good? So long as you wind up in a Good afterlife, wouldn't you imagine Lawful, Neutral or Chaotic Good afterlives would be just as rewarding?

Alias
2007-11-01, 11:49 PM
To the thought of Durkon marrying Daigo & Kazumi or Hinjo & Lien -- While close to Durkon, he's a priest of the NORTHERN gods and they follow the SOUTHERN gods - so I'd think he's ineligible to marry them yes? no? maybe??

Or maybe folks - hold on for a moment - maybe the rest of the order believes they can't raise roy and life is going on with Haley & Elan's wedding...

Or maybe its two characters we haven't seen yet.

Kyeudo
2007-11-01, 11:50 PM
So, it didn't seem like Sara would mind (limited) interaction with Eugene. Therefore, what is Roy trying to accomplish? Two guesses:

1. Prevent Eugene from going ballistic when he finds out about Sara's boyfriend(s). Eugene could easily have a double standard.

2. Keep Eugene and Eric apart. This makes sense if Roy blames Eugene for Eric's death, although it might still be a bit petty.

1. Eugene would probably have a heart attack and die if he found out. Scholars would try and figure out how a dead person died of a heart attack, then speculate upon where his soul went to after dying twice.

2. Since when is keeping the man responsible for your little brother's death away from him in the afterlife petty? Sounds reasonable to me. The fact that Eugene happens to be Eric's father, which complicates matters, but Eugene doesn't seem to care a bit about his family, so less problems in the end.

heroe_de_leyenda
Another cliffhanger!

I hope he's not going to make us wait until the full 3+ month flashback is over to find out who the happy couple is!

Edna

You know, it would seem that it is exactly what's he going to do.

jmucchiello
This is driving me crazy: Just because Eugene can't go to Sara's house doesn't mean she can't leave her house and visit him.

fractal
2007-11-01, 11:51 PM
It's correct in some older forms of the Christian marriage rite. It may also be correct for dwarven marriage ritual as well.
What is dwarven etiquette for marrying two non-dwarves?

"I now pronounce you human and human."

BlueWizard
2007-11-01, 11:51 PM
The two nameless soldiers is my guess. I don't think Rich will leave us out of the Elan and Haley reunited scoop, unless it is a retro story.

Sliverghost
2007-11-01, 11:52 PM
LOL HAPPY BIRTHDAY ROY and great strip i love it! another cliff hanger *sigh* still good though didn't see that coming,when the one condition came i knew it was never to see the rest of the family again, nobody really likes him in the fam or even outside much.

blackspeeker
2007-11-01, 11:53 PM
Dunno if this was suggested but:

I think that Durkon is drunk off his ass and if just marrying himself to whoever he can find on Hinjo's junk

sihnfahl
2007-11-01, 11:53 PM
Clearly, you have no idea of how long it takes to travel through the ocean to another continent with a medieval (16th century tops) technology. Ever heard of Columbus?
Erm, why are they going to an entirely different continent?

1) They didn't have many supplies to work with in the first place; they didn't have time to load up.

2) The boats were crowded as it was, so having all those folks stacked like sardines for a few months does NOT seem like a LG thing to do.

3) They were planning to retake the city!

So, what's up with them still at sea?

Wonton
2007-11-01, 11:55 PM
Oh man.
Not that this comic was bad.... it certainly was better than most of the others in this arc.... but I expected something REALLY special for 500, you know? I mean, 500 is THE most special of all the special numbers. It's halfway to a freaking thousand! Oh well. I guess this'll have to do.

commander43
2007-11-01, 11:57 PM
Am I the only one who thinks it might be Hilgya and Durkon? Durkon would want to marry if Hilgya is pregnant, as has been speculated, and we don't know whether the person doing the ceremonies is Durkon. (Although it's fairly likely considering the accent.) I'd just like to have bragging rights if this turns out to be true, which it won't.

SteveDJ
2007-11-01, 11:58 PM
Aha! I know who's getting married...

the Flumphs :smallbiggrin:

heroe_de_leyenda
2007-11-01, 11:59 PM
1) We don't know that Durkon is presiding over the ceremony. We only can be sure he is in attendance.

We DO know it is him "by THA POWER..." It's dwarven accent, I doubt there's another dwarf in the fleet. Azure city is (was) clearly a human-only nation. (almost at least)

fwiffo
2007-11-02, 12:03 AM
:durkon: OK, I did as you asked. I renewed your wedding vows. Now, Vaarsuvius, are you going to tell me which one of you two...

Caledonian
2007-11-02, 12:07 AM
True Neutrals care more about personal relationships than they do about abstract principles. That doesn't mean they have to be concerned about their families, but disconcern doesn't imply that alignment.

Eugene strikes me as more Lawful Selfish.

heroe_de_leyenda
2007-11-02, 12:07 AM
Am I the only one who thinks it might be Hilgya and Durkon? Durkon would want to marry if Hilgya is pregnant, as has been speculated, and we don't know whether the person doing the ceremonies is Durkon. (Although it's fairly likely considering the accent.) I'd just like to have bragging rights if this turns out to be true, which it won't.

Yes you are. Hilgya is married. I think Durkon, and Dwarven culture in general, is not into sharing a wife with another guy.

SPoD
2007-11-02, 12:08 AM
But this was supposed to be strip 500. It was supposed to answer all the plot questions with much awesomeness.

Said who?

Seriously, why did you ever think one strip would answer every question still open in the comic? Did Rich ever say that 500 would be anything special, or did you assume it because 500 is a round number? And if you assumed it, why is that Rich's problem?

This is a strip where strip #100 was a joke about how #100 wasn't anything special, it's really bad form to complain because the author didn't reveal the answers at the exact moment you wanted him to.

KBF
2007-11-02, 12:10 AM
Rich? Giant?

How come I hate you?

commander43
2007-11-02, 12:10 AM
Yes you are. Hilgya is married. I think Durkon, and Dwarven culture in general, is not into sharing a wife with another guy.

She could've killed him off by now :P

the_tick_rules
2007-11-02, 12:17 AM
well i suppose the LG realm is just better suited to roy's personality than the others.

malakim2099
2007-11-02, 12:18 AM
Actually, it could be Elan and Haley.

Haley and Belkar get out and manage to make it back to the group. It's been a long time, after all. They're getting married now, Durkon will prepare the resurrection spell in the morning when he is able.

Or...

While raise dead is relatively cheap, they might need to scrounge for the diamonds for an actual Res. Though I really suspect it's either the named soldiers, or Hinjo + Lien (as the lord of the city, he DOES have a lawful obligation to get workin' on an heir).

Kaerou
2007-11-02, 12:19 AM
wow.. I was expecting it to not be much for a 500.. then I saw the last panel and I was happy.

Pleeeease let it be Haley and Elan :D

Shatteredtower
2007-11-02, 12:20 AM
Point taken, Giant.

Mr Wizard
2007-11-02, 12:29 AM
I think its Going to be Hinjo and Lien. My reasoning for this is, if it had been the two named soldiers, Hinjo would be the one to unite them. He is a Paladin(therefore a holy man), Royalty, and by extension, the highest ranking person on the ship. If Hinjo is getting married, he cant be both the one to unite and the gbroom, so he asked Durkon to do it instead. :D

Kyeudo
2007-11-02, 12:36 AM
I must have forgotten/missed something. Who is Lien? Did I lose Hinjo's love intrest somewhere in one of the comics?

theKOT
2007-11-02, 12:37 AM
Wow.

This comic finally took away the last factor that was keeping me from liking Roy: his self-righteous unhelpful ranting. He finally grew up and got over it, and I couldn't be happier.

This comic also made me come out of my hermit-like absence from these boards to comment on it. It was just really really well written and enjoyable.

Thanks G, I'll try to remember this the next time I get impatient waiting for a comic.

dogmac
2007-11-02, 12:39 AM
Given the implication earlier was that Eugene KILLED Eric, no, I don't think Roy wants him seeing him.

Anyway

WAAAAH!!!!!!

(I always cry at weddings)

(And, for something different, I think it is Hinjo and Lien too)

Loxley
2007-11-02, 12:47 AM
That was a great 500th strip.

Just when my opinion of Eugene couldn't get any lower, he goes and proves me wrong. Roy was right; nothing he could say or do would ever change someone who doesn't want to be changed. He... just doesn't get it, and that may be the biggest tragedy in the whole damn story.

I wonder how long eugene will have to climb the mountain to recive enlightenment. I mean if he is that slow on the upptake then...

turkishproverb
2007-11-02, 12:53 AM
:durkon: OK, I did as you asked. I renewed your wedding vows. Now, Vaarsuvius, are you going to tell me which one of you two...

oh, lord THAT would be funny.

And you just know Vaarsuvius's spouse would look exactly the same, but wiht different clothing color and hair color.

Targan
2007-11-02, 12:56 AM
No he hasn't. He has prevented Eugene from visiting his wife's house, but someone could take the little fella to see his dad in some other part of heaven.

Pax_Chi
2007-11-02, 01:05 AM
No he hasn't. He has prevented Eugene from visiting his wife's house, but someone could take the little fella to see his dad in some other part of heaven.

Roy: "You disappear and your family enjoys eternity without you."

Eugene: "That's it? Agreed."

xanaphia
2007-11-02, 01:11 AM
I love this one!

I think it is Elan and Haley getting married, and then in #501 we get 50 or so strips explaining the last 3 months. And Roy can't be raised, they don't have diamonds on that ship.

Sir Samuel
2007-11-02, 01:15 AM
That was fun, but it poses many questions!
Why does Roy not want Eugene to see Roy's mum (can't remember name), besides the fact that he's a jerk!
Second: Whose getting married?
Third: Whats the Giant going to give us now?

Does anyone have a remote like the one on Click, so I can fast forward to the next comic?

Kreistor
2007-11-02, 01:16 AM
"New comic is up." Yeah.

Oh, come on! It's strip 500! And it's the longest strip to date! A new record! Show some emotion, man!

fractal
2007-11-02, 01:19 AM
"New comic is up." Yeah.

Oh, come on! It's strip 500! And it's the longest strip to date! A new record! Show some emotion, man!
No, this strip is only 3 1/4 pages long. Strip 200 was 4 pages.

Targan
2007-11-02, 01:23 AM
Roy: "You disappear and your family enjoys eternity without you."

Eugene: "That's it? Agreed.""You disappear" has to be a euphamism because Eugene won't be able to literally disappear, he is stuck in heaven. All the oath will require him to do is not seek out his relatives or his wife. But it won't prevent members of his family from seeking him out. What if the little fella can't enjoy his eternity without seeing his dad at least once. The oath can't bind other people' actions and intentions, only Eugene's.

Eogan
2007-11-02, 01:28 AM
ARGH!!! You got the line wrong - just like they do in half the TV shows that show a marriage.

<end rant> Sorry, I just get tired of seeing this done the wrong way in so many cases.

Etymology time:
"Man" was originally the gender-neutral Old English word for humans. The term for males was "werman" (which is the same "wer" that's in "werewolf") and the term for females was "wyfman". Through usage changes, Man became used both for males and in the original neutral sense, and wyfman split into both "wife" and "woman".

At the time the "Man and Wife" phrase was coined, it would have meant "man and woman". Etymologically, "husband and wife" is far more sexist, as husband originally meant "master of the house".

Pax_Chi
2007-11-02, 01:29 AM
"You disappear" has to be a euphamism because Eugene won't be able to literally disappear, he is stuck in heaven. All the oath will require him to do is not seek out his relatives or his wife. But it won't prevent members of his family from seeking him out. What if the little fella can't enjoy his eternity without seeing his dad at least once. The oath can't bind other people' actions and intentions, only Eugene's.

It still prevents Eugene from going see his son. If Eric decides he wants to see Eugene out at some point, that's up to him, but Eugene just gave up any right to seek out his family of his own accord. If his family decides they don't want to have anything to do with Eugene, then he can't do anything about it without breaking his oath.

glissle
2007-11-02, 01:33 AM
I think one reason the wedding is taking place on Hiro's junk is to make a subtle pun on shipping (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main.Shipping). Unfortunately, there isn't actually much shipping speculation going on, given how few unattached good characters we know.

But here's a possibility for Team Evil that would explain Roy being unresurrectable: Tsukiko and Roy's body

As for the literal ship marriage, here's a crazy couple that would be mind-blowing (and not in a House of Horrors way):
Imagine the dramatic possibilities if the ninja from #484 is Right-Eye's daughter, and she somehow fell in love with Hinjo while trying to kill him.

Another possibility is Hinjo and some woman ensorcelled to assassinate him.

Roderick_BR
2007-11-02, 01:34 AM
Hehehe... I love it. I admit I expected something... flashier, but the talk between Roy and Eugene... It just helps to show how their personalities clash.
And the ending part.... argh, I hate cliff rangers! :smallamused:

Porthos
2007-11-02, 01:36 AM
As for the literal ship marriage, here's a crazy couple that would be mind-blowing (and not in a House of Horrors way):
Imagine the dramatic possibilities if the assassin from #484 is Right-Eye's daughter, and she somehow fell in love with Hinjo while trying to kill him.

Nice idea, but.....

The assassin in #484 has the wrong shade of green to be Right-Eye's daughter. Some Orc/Half-Orc seems most likely, color-wise.

David Argall
2007-11-02, 01:39 AM
Another point to ponder is the ship. It is sailing. The other ships don't seem to be. It is decorated. Again, the others don't seem to be. [They are far away and/or at a poor angle, but...]. Which suggest the theory that...
The party has been highly successful without Roy. The city has been saved and the party is on the way to the next gate and celebrating with an Elan-Haley wedding. Roy apparently is not going to be raised by the party. I can't say I deem this likely, or that I deem it desirable, but it does seem the way the picture is suggesting.

Marriage Hinjo is not likely to be in this marriage. His duty is here at the city, and his marriage should be to some noblewoman who can supply an army or a treasure to raise an army. And his wedding should be a major affair, not on a ship leaving the area.
As a leaving ship, our two NPC soldiers and Lien are also not likely candidates. Their home is Azure City. All of these also have a preference for a southern and human cleric.
So Haley-Elan is the prime choice. This is too obvious? If you are expecting a curve, the straight pitch sails right past you. We should be having an Elan-Haley marriage at some point, so why not now?

#500 - We have now established that 00s are not especially important and can stop worrying about that, at least until we get to 600 and people will be calling this special because this was the longest strip to date [as far as I can tell]. Personally I'd call that a sign it could use some editing. One can't complain, especially at the price, but this is not a prime strip.

Tyrael
2007-11-02, 01:40 AM
Oh, gods. Ever since #485, in my mind, Eugene has had the voice of Deckard Cain from Diablo II. I CAN'T GET THE VOICE OUT OF MY HEAD!

divine
2007-11-02, 01:41 AM
so I didn't bother to read all five pages of this thread but COME ON!
a wedding, no matter whose it is, is more important than raising roy?
no!
no way

Philix
2007-11-02, 01:42 AM
Erm, why are they going to an entirely different continent?

1) They didn't have many supplies to work with in the first place; they didn't have time to load up.

2) The boats were crowded as it was, so having all those folks stacked like sardines for a few months does NOT seem like a LG thing to do.

3) They were planning to retake the city!

So, what's up with them still at sea?

Rampant speculation:

What's to say that this fleet isn't sailing BACK to Azure City to retake it? 3-4 months might have been enough time to get civilians settled and call back the members of the sapphire guard that were away. Not to mention get a couple level ups for the PCs and DMPCs. Haley and Belkar might've lost all of Roy's body in their escape from AC (consequently setting off the MoJ if it exists which would render Belkar too sick to move but he's pretty small right?). They might need to storm the city to ressurect him.

Jimorian
2007-11-02, 01:46 AM
I don't think we're going to get a rehash of the missing time at all, personally. There's really no reason to do it except as explanations from the other characters to Roy when he gets back, or through a one or two-page flashback. We're going to hit the ground running with 501 being what's happening now in the real world until they finally rez Roy.

And if you take the view that character arc is the central reason for a story to exist, this strip #500 is very fitting as one of the most important moments of the comic.

Zerkai
2007-11-02, 01:47 AM
You know what would really be a twist? If Elan was marrying some other woman. Awsome plot twist. Think on it. It's been 4 months, If Haley had been on the ship, or if they had found her, Roy would have been rezzed. The months go by, seasons change (Literally), and Belkar and Haley are presumed dead.

I'm not sure this would happen, but it'd really be a twist.

Yogi
2007-11-02, 01:50 AM
About Eugene's Good/Evil status.

Good is supposed to give selflessly to other people. Neutral is supposed to help your friends, hurt your enemies, and not bother with people you don't know. Evil is taking what you want regardless of the consequences.

Now, which of the three is most like Eugene?

Sturmjaeger
2007-11-02, 01:52 AM
I'm betting it's those two Sapphire guards that are getting married.

Demented
2007-11-02, 01:54 AM

In DnD, curing starvation is just a survival check away!
Admittedly, this applies mainly to adventurers, who prefer to "rough it", so quality of living is right out.

Targan
2007-11-02, 01:58 AM
It still prevents Eugene from going see his son. If Eric decides he wants to see Eugene out at some point, that's up to him, but Eugene just gave up any right to seek out his family of his own accord. If his family decides they don't want to have anything to do with Eugene, then he can't do anything about it without breaking his oath.True. But "preventing Eugene from going to see his son" and "preventing Eugene from seeing his son" are two different things and my original point was that Roy hasn't prevented Eugene from seeing his other son by making him swear the oath.

Ariko
2007-11-02, 02:00 AM
-it was kinda disappointing for the 500th strip

-i was expecting him to scry something like durkon about to be killed by xylon or something...
Whos xylon? is this the name of one of Xykon's doubles perhaps? :smalltongue:

Another cliffhanger!

Edna
That would be evil. and funny. Am I evil for being very amused at the possibility?:smallbiggrin:

nope..well that was my first thought anyway, but I found myself dismissing it a moment afterwords. I am glad Im not the only one to think that though!

Yogi
2007-11-02, 02:02 AM
Plus, it's not like Eugene can't simply break the oath. If his antics haven't gotten him barred from Mt. Celestia yet, one more broken oath won't hurt.

FoE
2007-11-02, 02:06 AM
Whos xylon? is this the name of one of Xykon's doubles perhaps? :smalltongue:

Actually, there really is a Xyklon, and he's in Start of Darkness. (It's a one-panel throwaway joke, so I don't think I'm ruining it for anyone. Hence the lack of spoilers.) His full title is "Xyklon the Consequential."

Hey, I wonder which lucky guy Vaarsuvius is going to marry? :smallwink:

Pax_Chi
2007-11-02, 02:08 AM
True. But "preventing Eugene from going to see his son" and "preventing Eugene from seeing his son" are two different things and my original point was that Roy hasn't prevented Eugene from seeing his other son by making him swear the oath.

Do you really going to get into a hair splitting/semantics debate over this? Because my original point stands. Roy has prevented Eugene from seeing his son, the implication of which that Eugene cannot seek out his son and must, in fact, avoid that house at all costs. Part of the oath also includes a stipulation that Roy's family enjoy eternity without him.

The wording of Roy's oath allows the other members to seek Eugene out if not seeing him would somehow prevent them from enjoying eternity, but Roy has prevented Eugene from seeing his son of his own volition.

see
2007-11-02, 02:12 AM

Best favor Roy could do for his brother, given how quickly Eugene agreed to the deal.

Targan
2007-11-02, 02:14 AM
Do you really going to get into a hair splitting/semantics debate over this?... The wording of Roy's oath allows the other members to seek Eugene out if not seeing him would somehow prevent them from enjoying eternity, but Roy has prevented Eugene from seeing his son of his own volition.Sorry if I have caused offence. I just wanted to point out that which I have pointed out. And if you read my posts you will see that I am right. I wasn't trying to show you up or make you look stupid and I'm not trying to be a smarty pants. Eugene may yet get to see his other son. It just won't be as a result of his own actions is all.

keeganknorr
2007-11-02, 02:15 AM
Have they been out at sea for 3 months? That seems awfully excessive. Where did they get supplies like food or wedding lights? Also that new bad guy is sure taking his sweet time.

Targan
2007-11-02, 02:21 AM
I agree. They couldn't have been at sea for three months or there would be some nasty cases of scurvy developing. Oh wait. There are spells for summoning fruit and such aren't there? My bad.

Pax_Chi
2007-11-02, 02:33 AM
Sorry if I have caused offence. I just wanted to point out that which I have pointed out. And if you read my posts you will see that I am right. I wasn't trying to show you up or make you look stupid and I'm not trying to be a smarty pants. Eugene may yet get to see his other son. It just won't be as a result of his own actions is all.

You haven't caused offense, but you do sound like someone trying to be, as you put it, "a smarty pants". Taking a simple statement like "Roy has prevented Eugene from seeing his other son" to mean "Roy has made sure that Eugene will never ever see his other son for the rest of eternity" is either an example of reading too much into a statement, or trying to prove someone wrong by getting into a semantics debate.

You do realize that when someone is prevented from seeing another person due to various constraints, such as restraining orders or other legal/social restraining measures, saying "This order prevents you from seeing your son" has the same meaning as "This order prevents you from going see your son". They both translate into the individual in question being unable to go see the offspring in question, barring legal permission or some other extenuating circumstances.

So, barring said extenuating circumstance, Eugene can't see his son. Which was the result of Roy's actions. So Roy has prevented Eugene from seeing his other son.

see
2007-11-02, 02:36 AM
I agree. They couldn't have been at sea for three months or there would be some nasty cases of scurvy developing. Oh wait. There are spells for summing fruit and such aren't there? My bad.

Or there could be weird fantasy fish whose flesh provides a whole serving of Vitamin C.

Or sea elves who have sea orange tree orchards and sell the sea oranges in floating fruit stands established along commercial shipping routes to Azure City.

Or . . .

Targan
2007-11-02, 02:43 AM
So Roy has prevented Eugene from seeing his other son.Ah, well. I see we shall have to agree to disagree then.

Porthos
2007-11-02, 02:44 AM
The wording of Roy's oath allows the other members to seek Eugene out if not seeing him would somehow prevent them from enjoying eternity, but Roy has prevented Eugene from seeing his son of his own volition.

Considering how Eugene doesn't give a you-know-what, I'm not sure it's that big of a deal. :smallsmile: Roy even goes out of his way to say "you'll never see your family again", and Eugene is still all too eager to go along with the plan.

So if Eugene doesn't care, why should we? It's not like Eric wouldn't be able to track down his dad, if he really wanted to. :smallsmile:

Pax_Chi
2007-11-02, 02:49 AM
Considering how Eugene doesn't give a you-know-what, I'm not sure it's that big of a deal. :smallsmile: Roy even goes out of his way to say "you'll never see your family again", and Eugene is still all too eager to go along with the plan.

So if Eugene doesn't care, why should we? It's not like Eric wouldn't be able to track down his dad, if he really wanted to. :smallsmile:

Oh I agree, Eugene's a total jerk who apparently couldn't care less about seeing his family in the afterlife. My debate with Targan had nothing to do with that, but more to do with a point of contention he had over the wording of my original statement.

Mentok
2007-11-02, 02:51 AM
There is a distinct possibility that Eugene doesn't realize that Eric is on the mountain. Roy never even mentioned/thought of his little brother until his mother told him. I consider it quite likely that he's only thinking that he's swearing to not seek out Roy and his former wife.

This means that Eugene could be devastated if/when he gets onto Mount Celestia, which makes me feel deeply sorry for him. I can't imagine what it would be like to lose your son and then find out you've given up your chance to see him in the afterlife (unless Eric convinces his brother or mother to bring him to him).

You guys are heartless, by the way. You act as if the accident was something malicious on his part, or that his manner in coming to terms meant he didn't care (and not just a coping mechanism); not that we really know how he dealt with it, as we have to go off of was the memory of a distraught child.

Eugene is a jerk, yes, but I've yet to see anything evil. It's obvious that he and Roy share the same zinger habit, only that Eugene has had years of practice and bottled frustration from being stuck in limbo.

Supermagle
2007-11-02, 02:54 AM
Well, given the pseudo-Japanese setting it could also be a mass wedding with multiple couples :-)

Hranat
2007-11-02, 02:58 AM
I pronounce you men and wives?

I think Roy's body is lost and Belkar lies puking over the floor all the time because of his Mark. And that we get a variation on this one (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0038.html).

Meinos Kaen
2007-11-02, 03:28 AM
Uhm... Ok. Let's see...

Haley and Elan, no. First, because I just can't see Haley as a mother, at this moment. Two, they're still at sea, so Haley and Belkar are still in Azure City. And like someone said, yes, I think they are the nameless soldiers who became named at the end of the last arc. lol

Now, I just CAN'T WAIT FOR 501!!!!!

wargsmon
2007-11-02, 03:44 AM
I really expected something big lor the 500 ike a big splash page ( like Comic Books )

but still great strip:smallsmile:

Cybren
2007-11-02, 03:46 AM
I find it doubtful that Roy will be ressed soon. That will miss the perfect opportunity for a training montage with Granpappy

Pantler
2007-11-02, 03:49 AM
Huh.

Crticism below. If you believe I shouldn't criticise something that's free, please don't open the spoiler tags. Thank you.

I get a feeling that even if I wasn't expecting this strip to be extra-cool (and the exceptional length indicates that yes, #500 was special in a way), this still would've struck me as an OK strip, at best. We had 3 pages of banter that showed us two things we already knew:
- Eugene Greenhilt is a jacka**
- Roy Greenhilt is growing more mature.
Plus the wedding cliffhanger, which isn't too exciting for me, but that's my own personal taste.
Not a single joke.
Please don't take offence if you liked it. I didn't, and I'm not saying that you shouldn't have enjoyed it.
As for me, it's back to "check once a week to see if something interesting happened" schedule.

Dr. Simon
2007-11-02, 03:56 AM
Not much to add on the stuff that's already been covered except for:

Good to see Roy conforming to the Campbellian monomyth hero type and well on his way to returning from the land of the dead bearing new wisdom and purpose.

And, I love the way that even Roy refers to his lantern archon as "Roy's Archon".

Fabio_MP
2007-11-02, 03:58 AM
New comic is up.

happy 500 OotS strip :)

thank you for all the work

and btw great great strip :)

The Vanishing Hitchhiker
2007-11-02, 04:13 AM
Here's the sound I made upon reaching the final panel: "HWHAH?!"

Fun times.

Nice to see Roy's learned a little about himself and his way of dealing with things. Sad to see he's given up on his father enough to encourage him to vanishppear.

Bet Eric could fix Eugene right up. :smallamused:

deworde
2007-11-02, 04:19 AM
Finally #500! I can finally find out about the Azure City crew, Elan/Haley, etc...
&%^O)(&%ing Giant. Well played, grumble, mutter.

Actually, I clearly enjoy this comic enough that I want to see what happens next. Just don't do a Robert Jordan, OK...

pjackson
2007-11-02, 04:26 AM

According to the last page of SoD - Yes

Patsup
2007-11-02, 04:32 AM
First of all hello from a LONG time lurker first time poster.

So here is my take on the cliffhanger:

Last thing we know about the living part of the OotS was that Haley and Belkar were left in Azure City with the fleet out in the ocean with the rest of the team. And now what we see is that the ships are still in the ocean, and they are all staying together; plus someone is getting married.

I'm gonna lay off the wedding speculations but the setting offly reminds me of a certain series. Would be pretty interesting if it turns out to be something like that and it would explain why Durkon didn't get around to res Roy.

Ariko
2007-11-02, 04:46 AM
Actually, there really is a Xyklon, and he's in Start of Darkness. (It's a one-panel throwaway joke, so I don't think I'm ruining it for anyone. Hence the lack of spoilers.) His full title is "Xyklon the Consequential."

Hey, I wonder which lucky guy Vaarsuvius is going to marry? :smallwink:
Yup, I know about Xyklon, have had SoD for a while now (and love it:biggrin:) ..but the poster said xylon, not Xyklon
Oh, and Varsuvius is already married, remember?

Pvednes
2007-11-02, 04:49 AM
Dude, that was one messed up oath.

Mordokai
2007-11-02, 04:52 AM
Like so many(probably) I expected something more... revealing out of this comic. To find out what happened to post pone Roy's ress for such a long time. To see what happened to other OOTS members back on Material plane.

That said, I still find this comic very good and enjoyable. It once again shows that Eugene is a total jerk and I too am asking myself if he is really going to make into Mount Celestia. If he does, they have really low standards on Lawful good. And based on what we saw during Roy's "trial" that isn't a case. So, if I would be Eugene I would really be worried about my eterneal resting place.

As for the wedding, I was also struck speechless when I got to last panel. My first idea was Elan and Haley, but then I remember there is a distinct possibilty that Haley and Belkar never made it out of AC. If they would, Roy would probably be alive by now. So the others on the boat just said, "life goes on", and after few months we have a wedding on our hands. As for who is happy couple, I HOPE it's Hinjo and Lien, but Kasumi and Daigo would be a good pair too. And for Southerns being married by a cleric of Northern deity... it doesn't struck me as very odd. One option is that there are no more clerics of AC on ship(Hinjo's or any other), being that all of them are dead. If you'll remember back, Redcloac killed the hight priest of Twelve gods back at AC and chlorine elemental killed the rest of clerics in that courtyard. So, that is possible. Even if there are any surviving clerics left, they are probably level one or two, at best. Not that in eyes of a paladin like Hinjo that would make much difference. But think about it. Durkon saved his life. He healed Lien. He's more than just friend to them. I don't think that him worshiping a Norse deity would pose a big problem, especialy since Thor is clearly a Good god. That is one more reason that I believe that the happy couple is Hinjo and Lien. Daigo and Kazumi would be happy with level one or two cleric, but for two relatively hight level characters(like Hinjo and Lien) Durkon would be much better bet.

Off course, I could be totally wrong, but I guess we'll have to waith for Rich to prove me wrong.

Anyway, great comic, and I'm looking forward to next one.

Pvednes
2007-11-02, 05:01 AM

You're wrong, actually. "Man and wife" is the correct term. "Wife" means "woman".

"Husband" means "householder".

So "husband and wife" means "householder and woman", whereas "man and wife" means "man and woman".

Alfryd
2007-11-02, 05:05 AM
New comic is up.
Finally.

(Of course, strictly speaking, it IS in Eugene's interest to keep Roy up to speed, so that he can at least formulate a plan of action appropriate to the circumstances, when and if he's raised.)

I get a feeling that even if I wasn't expecting this strip to be extra-cool (and the exceptional length indicates that yes, #500 was special in a way), this still would've struck me as an OK strip, at best. We had 3 pages of banter that showed us two things we already knew...
Well, it's been sorta like that for the last dozen+ installments. But some were at least funny.

Nice to see Roy's learned a little about himself and his way of dealing with things. Sad to see he's given up on his father enough to encourage him to vanishppear.
I dunno. Enrique might have come as something of a shock to him. It did seem a little harsh, though. I mean, he's technically LG. (Eugene can't be entirely beyond the pale of reformation.)

Elanorea
2007-11-02, 05:11 AM
Augghh, cliffhangers cause me severe internal pains! *writhes on the floor in agony*

Nice comic! XD

banjo1985
2007-11-02, 05:13 AM
Heh I quite liked it, I like how Roy has finally got fed up of trying to beat Eugene at his own game...it was about time he realised it's not worth it.

I wonder who's getting married, a first guess would be Haley & Elan, but what would get them back together yet stop Roy from getting raised? For strip 500 I thought there might have been a bigger spoiler about what's happened while Roy has been away, but it was a good strip in its own right.

sun_tzu
2007-11-02, 05:18 AM
I find it amusing how, when we find out there's a wedding going on, so many people (myself included) immediately think "Hinjo&Lien" - despite the fact that they haven't, at any point, shown any romantic interest in each other.

Elfanatic
2007-11-02, 05:21 AM
Whoa.

Well, this is actually far better than I thought it would be (some far away battlefield where the bodies of [some of] the Order of the Stick would lie). Which is probably exactly why the Giant did what he did.

Good to see that Eugene is still a arrogant bastard, and that there will be no strange happenings with his wife when/if he gets up the mountain.

The only left to say, is that I love Rich Burlew's writing.

* huggles his 'Richie the Giant' cuddlebear *

:smalltongue:

sednanalien
2007-11-02, 05:31 AM
Heh heh heh:smallamused:

Happy 500th strip everyone. Good to see Roy taking everyone's advice to heart. And Eugene's still a jerk

cocked_brow
2007-11-02, 05:45 AM
I wonder if the marriage is between Elan and Celia? Both of whom think they have lost their other halves, thrown together on the seas of passion? After all, Celia could have flown out to the ships:)

shylocxs
2007-11-02, 05:48 AM

TARGET!

Great 500th!

Now I'm in agony over 501......

Evil never gets any satisfaction.

Uncle Festy
2007-11-02, 06:03 AM
Sigh... I dunno. The 500 cliffhanger was ok, but I feel Rich's done better. It was surprising, interesting, unexpected... but why do I get the feeling that Rich had a much cooler idea for 500 that matched up to the 498 and 499 cliffhangers, but he tossed it out the window because someone had discussed it to death, and that was why he took so long with 500 - he needed to come up with a new idea first. Or maybe it just felt like a long time. And honestly, this is all probably that nothing could really live up to the expectations of the almity 500. Well, whatever. My quota for insane cliffhangers has been filled up within the last 17 strips, so I'm not complaining. Yay rich! Here's one that can't wait for another 100, 200, and more!

-Uncle out

pondshadow
2007-11-02, 06:06 AM
happy goldenx10 strip rich!
now then, as has been stated before the marrage is either hinjo or lien, or Kasumi and Daigo
I thought there would be a res here but I'm wrong
It would be funny if he had to be reincarnated but (aside from Leeky) Rich doesn't show druids that much

Oslecamo
2007-11-02, 06:09 AM
Ok this will bring out a lot of hate but I honestly think that Eugene isn't as bad as people say. Here's the reasons:

1-He complains a lot and really doesn't show much respect for anyone BUT he ends up doing the right thing. During his life he did a lot of good and correct things otherwise he wouldn't be here. He destroyed a lot of evil, gave the money Roy needed for fighter college, never used magic to try to manipulate his actions and was always honest. His only true "sin" was to pass his oath to his son whitout trying to fulfill it himself, for wich he is now stuck.

2-Eugene spent almost 4 months in a sea of clouds with nothing to do but think his sarcastic son was in heaven while was stuck in there. His son who also didn't show much respect for him. You got to some kind of saint for that don't puting you in a very bad moods.

3-Like it or not, he's the only one on the family who can scry and wants Roy to live again. Roy's mother, brother and grandfather, despite being really nice, want him to stay in Celestia with them and don't really want him to live again, where his father, altough bad mouthed, is willing to help him.

4-Eugene just want his son to show him some kind of atention. Roy spents 4 months in heaven and then comes back calling his father a scry-bot. It's not very nice to feel like just a tool wich you use and then abandon again to return to the land of endless girls and booze. He wanted Roy to show he tought of him as person. When Roy threatened to go away he realized he also needed to give something back so he ended up scrying for him.

Remember, alignment is mainly about actions. Eugene always ends up doing the right thing, and this is why Celestia is willing to give him another chance should his oath be fulfilled.

Eugene would have been evil if he did just the contrary thing:talking nicely and showing respect for everyone just for backstabbing and stealing them when they were looking the other way.

Nodles
2007-11-02, 06:12 AM
This last strip officially placed OotS as my favorite webcomic. Quite a feat given im such a weeaboo.

Derivious
2007-11-02, 06:27 AM
HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLY FREAKING COW! I nearly flipped out of my seat when I saw that :smalleek:

Mordokai
2007-11-02, 06:30 AM
I find it amusing how, when we find out there's a wedding going on, so many people (myself included) immediately think "Hinjo&Lien" - despite the fact that they haven't, at any point, shown any romantic interest in each other.

Three and a half month? On a bot? In the middle of the sea? Tight living room? Cramped quarters? People tend to get... close in settings like this. In more than one way :smallsmile:

Ok this will bring out a lot of hate but I honestly think that Eugene isn't as bad as people say. Here's the reasons:

1-He complains a lot and really doesn't show much respect for anyone BUT he ends up doing the right thing. During his life he did a lot of good and correct things otherwise he wouldn't be here. He destroyed a lot of evil, gave the money Roy needed for fighter college, never used magic to try to manipulate his actions and was always honest. His only true "sin" was to pass his oath to his son whitout trying to fulfill it himself, for wich he is now stuck.

I don't object to him doing much good(even if it was never explicitly shown in the comic OR books). Him giving money to Roy was probably more of "must do" than anything else, being his father, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was revieled that Sara played a central part in that. He wasn't being honest, he never told Roy he would be banned out of afterlife for takin his blood oath on himself. He maybe didn't know that at the moment, but that is put aside when we see that he willingly droped out of his oath. That is the main sin, and not so insubstential, if he is kept out of afterlife for this.

2-Eugene spent almost 4 months in a sea of clouds with nothing to do but think his sarcastic son was in heaven while was stuck in there. His son who also didn't show much respect for him. You got to some kind of saint for that don't puting you in a very bad moods.

To get respect, you must also give it. Remember that saying, giveth, and you shall be given? Or something along those lines. Eugene never gave any respect to Roy, why should he get any?

3-Like it or not, he's the only one on the family who can scry and wants Roy to live again. Roy's mother, brother and grandfather, despite being really nice, want him to stay in Celestia with them and don't really want him to live again, where his father, altough bad mouthed, is willing to help him.

For what reasons? Purely selfish. He wants Roy to get back to the world of living so he(Eugene) could get his afterlife after long while. He doesn't afford his oldest son, to rest in piece, even not after what he has done, mainly for him. The rest of the family, on the other side, wants Roy to realx, because they know Eugene is selfish old jerk who willl never be happy with anything. In short, Euegene doesn't want Roy alive for any altruistic reasons, but purely selfish ones. The rest of the family wants Roy to stay dead because they think he deserved some peace after what he has done. How is that bad?

4-Eugene just want his son to show him some kind of atention. Roy spents 4 months in heaven and then comes back calling his father a scry-bot. It's not very nice to feel like just a tool wich you use and then abandon again to return to the land of endless girls and booze. He wanted Roy to show he tought of him as person. When Roy threatened to go away he realized he also needed to give something back so he ended up scrying for him.

Roy didn't even know he needs scrying to look down on material plane, it was Euegene who told him that. After a lot of gloating. And giving Roy hard time. And after Roy asks him politely, what does he get? More hard time, more smarty pants out of good ol' dad. No, Roy was not in the wrong here, Eugene was.

Arigatochan
2007-11-02, 06:42 AM
I can't help but say I'm disappointed. The 500 comic... And we get character development for Roy and a cliffhanger? Wheres the massive spread showing all the amazing future plot lines!?

Holammer
2007-11-02, 06:42 AM
Good strip, but after reading it again, I still can't shake the feeling that Durkon saying:
"by tha power invest'd in me by tha gods"
sounds all wrong. Shouldn't it instead be:
"by tha power vested in me by tha gods"?

'Vested' having this pompous 'ye olde English air to it and all. But it seems both wordings are correct, unless someone could shed some light over the issue.

Sequinox
2007-11-02, 06:44 AM
Exxcellent.:smallamused:

I bet that its Haley and Elan getting married but I'm not sure. I mean, V probably got 'em back on the boat within the first week. And what a good way to crush my hopes of Mr. Scruffy learning magic. Dang, I wanna read the next one.

Monan
2007-11-02, 06:44 AM
Congratulations on your 500th!

pendell
2007-11-02, 06:46 AM
OOOOH!

OOOOH!

Giant, if you're playing a nasty trick on us and that *isn't* Elan and Haley getting pronounced man and wife I'll ....

I'll ....

well, grumble about it here, obviously :). There's nothing I can do to you and your fragile health that would not jeopardize my future supply of OOTS. And that I cannot risk.

Something else ... we've had a lot of talky posts the past few strips. I mean, the evil adventuring party didn't even last one round. Methinks we're a little below average in both the slapstick department and the hack factor department lately ...

.. in short, we need MORE BELKAR! NOW!

Thank you.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

U2QueenBee
2007-11-02, 06:46 AM
In a word, WHAT???

It can't be Elan and Haley...dear god please don't let Elan have married someone else. I can't take any stick-figure angst at my time of life!

TroyXavier
2007-11-02, 06:51 AM
Interesting. Not blow me down awesome, but instead, it leads to all sorts of possibilities. Now i'm already waiting for 501.

chibibar
2007-11-02, 06:52 AM
heheheh... fighter school may not teach scrying..... but they do teach psychology... even if Roy is not using it intentionally all that training does do him justice :)

I love it.

now over the weekend people will try to figure out WHO got married.

JasonDoomsblade
2007-11-02, 06:52 AM
No freakin, way....... That was by far the best strip 500% I've ever seen. :smalltongue:

@Chibibar
I'll bet it's those two Sapphire Guards. Sorry i forgot they're names, but I'm sure you know who I'm talking about.

Ascobol
2007-11-02, 06:54 AM
That strip is...

50% Win
50% Lol
50% Legend.

That is ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY PERCENT, sucka foo'!

Such a cliffhanger. Can't wait for the next one!

Jayabalard
2007-11-02, 07:03 AM
Quite likely, if Elan and Haley were reunited you'd expect Roy to have been raised.Not necessarily... they might not have the appropriate amount of diamonds available at the moment.

Arssanguinus
2007-11-02, 07:10 AM

How do you know they aren't "At sea again"?

GKBeetle
2007-11-02, 07:18 AM
Yay because we know that Durkon is still alive. Boo, since that is all we found out and most people assumed he was still alive. Also, I hope that Roy keeps laying into people trying to show how they are acting ridiculous. It sounds like he won't be lecturing his Dad anymore, but its still fun to see his rants.

Oslecamo
2007-11-02, 07:20 AM
Three and a half month? On a bot? In the middle of the sea? Tight living room? Cramped quarters? People tend to get... close in settings like this. In more than one way :smallsmile:

I don't object to him doing much good(even if it was never explicitly shown in the comic OR books). Him giving money to Roy was probably more of "must do" than anything else, being his father, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was revieled that Sara played a central part in that. He wasn't being honest, he never told Roy he would be banned out of afterlife for takin his blood oath on himself. He maybe didn't know that at the moment, but that is put aside when we see that he willingly droped out of his oath. That is the main sin, and not so insubstential, if he is kept out of afterlife for this.

To get respect, you must also give it. Remember that saying, giveth, and you shall be given? Or something along those lines. Eugene never gave any respect to Roy, why should he get any?

For what reasons? Purely selfish. He wants Roy to get back to the world of living so he(Eugene) could get his afterlife after long while. He doesn't afford his oldest son, to rest in piece, even not after what he has done, mainly for him. The rest of the family, on the other side, wants Roy to realx, because they know Eugene is selfish old jerk who willl never be happy with anything. In short, Euegene doesn't want Roy alive for any altruistic reasons, but purely selfish ones. The rest of the family wants Roy to stay dead because they think he deserved some peace after what he has done. How is that bad?

Roy didn't even know he needs scrying to look down on material plane, it was Euegene who told him that. After a lot of gloating. And giving Roy hard time. And after Roy asks him politely, what does he get? More hard time, more smarty pants out of good ol' dad. No, Roy was not in the wrong here, Eugene was.

Eugene showed respect for Roy, but in a subtle way. He wanted his son to be a caster because he tought casters were stronger. He wanted his son to grow up to become a powerfull adenturer. Instead what he gets is a fighter who wasted his points in charisma and thinks jumping into a zombie dragon to fight a lich several levels above him is a good idea. For what we know Roy and his father started loathing each other very soon. Eugene paid a freaking 40.000 gp a year for Roy to learn to be a fighter when he(and his mother actually) wanted him to be a wizard. It takes a respectfull parent to do so. There aren't that many fathers who will pay their son's education when it is completely against their beliefs.

You may call Eugene helping Roy selfinesh, but think of it this way: The lich is probably the biggest badass villain in the mortal realm right now. His plans threaten to destroy reality itself. And the only person outside the party who has helped Roy to fight the lich whitout asking anything in return but some grumbles is Roy's father. Can you really call it selfinesh when the fulfilling of the oath will mean making the world a much better place?

If somebody is being really selfish is Roy's mother. He wants his son to stay in the celestial realm, despite it probably meaning Xykon will go around killing stuff and releasing uber epic monsters. Roy is the glue that kept the party togheter all this time. Whitout him they really don't have a chance of defeating Xykon.

I'm not saying Eugene isn't a saint, but that he's a LG person deep in the heart who, just as Roy, faces hard situations with sarcasm and loathing. Roy also treated a lot of people with disrespect along this 500 strips, and this doesn't make him any less loved by the people in the boards.

Mordan
2007-11-02, 07:22 AM
I know the answer....

You wanna hear it?

I know the answer as to who's getting married!!

I really do.

A glowing light thingy came down and told me.

Just like they tell Mr The Giant what to draw.

It's a secret, but if you promise not to tell, I'll tell you.

Do you promise?

Pinky swear?

Miko's Upper Half to Miko's Lower Half!!

Just kidding.

Since they've been unable to raise the diamonds, they had to do something to keep themselves occupied. Unfortunately, that also meant they all had to put up with Elan's bantering. And without Roy to shut him up, he drove them all insane. So, who's getting married?

I'm not telling!!

Wiseman
2007-11-02, 07:30 AM
Oh mi dear god, is V' in that boat :smalleek: ?

Ishha
2007-11-02, 07:34 AM
Maby Durkon Is now a priest,becase the vioce speaking had an accent.
It could be Kazumi & Diago
Hingo & Lien
Not likely Hayley & Elan
Elan & Stranger
Or just strangers that are being married by Durkon

Man i hate long cliffhangers

Nightfall
2007-11-02, 07:43 AM
Hard to believe Eugene agreed that quickly. Maybe he really did want to help his son with something. Wonder if he is changing?

No, I think it's more like Roy said...he (Eugene) just couldn't stand not being important in Roy's life. He couldn't stand the thought of not being needed. It wasn't about helping Roy at all, it was all about Eugene being important and someone else depending on him.

Eugene has a very large vein of magician superiority running through him. I see it in Vaarsuvius, too, but to a much lesser degree. They both know they are weaker physically, perhaps not as charismatic, perhaps not as cunning, but they excell at mental abilities, and therefore treat everyone else around them as inferior. "You just don't understand what I can do with a single thought."

Vaarsuvius at least had the integrity to admit to Elan that he'd been attempting to run away by turning invisible. Had that been Eugene, he would have let Elan believe what he wanted to, and probably basked in the glory of, "Wow, you're SO smart!" The response to that would have been, "Naturally."

SpoonlessJedi
2007-11-02, 07:46 AM
Weddings make me sniffle a little bit. *wipes tear*

I'm just sorry we didn't get to hear Durkon drop the "Mawaige... mawaige is whot bwings us togedah today..." line.

Perhaps our mystery groom insisted, "Man and wife! Say 'man and wife!'"

Vulion
2007-11-02, 07:48 AM
*head explodes out of the sheer force of the revelation*

Eugene, looks like he's nothing more then a self-centered ******* with no hope for change...tragic really.

Who? WHO?! Damn you, Giant. WHO!!?

Jayabalard
2007-11-02, 07:52 AM
interesting how everyone seems to be assuming that we find out what happens next in 501... it is possible, after all, that we'll be flashing back and have 3.5 months of lead up before we find that out...

The Bushranger
2007-11-02, 07:54 AM
*ptfuie!* <- spit-take

So...they're still on the junk...does that make it a Three-month Tour? :smallwink:

And my 5gp say it's the two Azurite soldiers getting hitched.

stickfan4
2007-11-02, 07:54 AM
Awesome... nothing to add...

dragynphyre
2007-11-02, 07:56 AM
Gah, Eugene Greenhilt is such a JERK!

It takes good writing to make me hate a little stick figure SO much.

Atalan
2007-11-02, 07:57 AM
... Not sure why everyone is wailing that we were 'supposed to find everything out' in comic 500. For one thing, there's way too much to find out for it to fit in one comic, I should think. For another, this strip seemed to do exactly what I'd expect of a landmark number: closed off the plot threads from the current arc, and opened the scene on the next bit.

The about-face cliffhanger is awesome. :D I am refraining from speculating as to the identity of the happy couple, though I rather hope it's not Elan and Haley since in story terms they haven't been together long enough for it to feel right.

Lilivati
2007-11-02, 08:06 AM
This comic kicked some serious...well, you know. :smallamused:

STupendous
2007-11-02, 08:15 AM
Argh! The suspense! Congrats on getting to comic 500 Rich. :smallsmile:

As previously stated several times, it could easily be Elan and Haley, or it could be anyone else...:smallfrown:

Elderac
2007-11-02, 08:16 AM
Congratulations on the 500th comic, Rich.

One point that I have not seen mentioned - traditionally, and I don't know if this is true for the southern lands, the captain of a ship can perform a marriage ceremony.

It may be though that the couple preferred to be married by a priest (cleric).

I don't think this is Elan and Haley if only because it wouldn't be as dramatic as seeing their relationship ebb and flow to a climax.

My first thought was Hinjo and Lien. However, after reading the posts, I am not sure about that as someone pointed out that Hinjo would likely have to marry to strengthen his rule of Azure city. Of course, true love sometimes overrides duty.

I think that Kazuo and Daigo are a strong possibility. As minor characters, the flow of their relationship would not ordinarily be shown, but this would give closure for their fans.

It is possible that it is Elan and someone else. They may have retaken the city and not found Haley, Belkar, and Roy's body because they had to flee the city for safety. Then again, Elan with his knowledge of the dramatic might not believe she is dead until he see's a body and then he'd want her raised.

In any case, I love this story and will be back for more.

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-11-02, 08:26 AM
Cliffhangers. Why did it have to be cliffhangers?

My bet? Daigo and Kazumi. But I'm probably wrong.

Nice to see that no matter what, Eugene is STILL a Horse's Ass!

kierthos
2007-11-02, 08:31 AM
Okay, I have my own thoughts on who's gotten married:

Hinjo and Lien (or rather, Hinjo and some appropriately noble woman), simply because in the current political climate (Azure City being mostly destroyed and held by Xykon and the mighty hobbo army), he needs to make sure his dynasty has a future. He's providing for progeny to carry on after him, and given how lawful he is, there's no way he's having illegitimate children scampering around

Now, as for whether Eugene will get into LG heaven even if Xykon gets destroyed at some point in the future, because he's not a nice person (let's face it, he's a jerk)...

Lawful good does not mean fluffy bunnies and smiles all day long. Miko was lawful good and she was pretty much a "grim destroyer of chaos/evil". So, yeah, Eugene may be a jerk, but if he lived his life by LG tenets and tried at least as hard as Roy did to stick to a LG alignment, he's getting in.

Now, from what we've seen of Eugene in the afterlife, I seriously doubt he's going to get into LG heaven. That's just my take on it, but while Roy was always trying to do the right thing, Eugene, from the flashbacks and references to his life, always seemed to take the more convenient road, rather then the right road.

Mr.Huggyface
2007-11-02, 08:33 AM
dissapointing. It's #500. nothing special happened other than a triple strip. :smallconfused: but still... who got married? ELAN AND HALEY!!! DUH!!! Cu l8r!

Xandias
2007-11-02, 08:36 AM
Go Rich
Comic 500 roxorz
i did not expect the ending though

tirsales
2007-11-02, 08:37 AM
@Oslecamo:
I agree.

Though ... I think ... there are too many cliffhangers in a row now, can't hold the tension much longer.
So please: At least *one* little revival in the next comic. Don't care which question is answeared (and be it '42') - put just one?
*please*
*pretty please*
*pretty please with shrek-tomcat blackeyes*

Grungydan
2007-11-02, 08:42 AM
I hope it's Elan and Haley. It's probably not, since that would be "expected", but I hope it is.

Hyozo
2007-11-02, 08:45 AM
Heh, Eugene reminds me of my own father, and my sister. Appropriate application of apathy can get you exactly what you want and more.

Also, a possibility is that Durkon is conducting wedding ceremonies to acquire money for the diamonds to raise Roy (and perhaps others :smalleek: ).

Fingolfin
2007-11-02, 08:48 AM
Wow, I was reading the comic and was a bit surprised it's so long, pleased of course, and seeing how interesting was Roy's son-father development going along didn't even notice it's issue #500. The last scene is really a great cliff-hanger, I mean I'm sometimes really surprised how well the plot unfolds. Great comic indeed, well done Rich. :smallamused:

Janmorel
2007-11-02, 08:55 AM

Eric and Sara are allowed to leave the house. If the rest of the family wants to get around it, they'll just have to hang out at the Playground of Unlimited Working Swings or Eugene's mom's house or something.

Rat_Summoner
2007-11-02, 08:59 AM
Most definatly Kazumi and Daigo..........though I bet first panel will be a close up of Belkar and V........and then zoom out too see the happy couple kissing. The Giant's a bit of a 'big meany-head' like that.

Inhuman Bot
2007-11-02, 09:00 AM
Crazy reveal plus an insanely large amount of unanswered questions plus new ones. The gods of chaos are much pleased!

we are indeed.

Paladin29
2007-11-02, 09:19 AM
Oh yeah!!!, a great kick in the Eugene ass XDD, Roy is the best!!!

A great comic Giant :)

P.D. How I hate Eugene :smallfurious:

Aerysil
2007-11-02, 09:26 AM
Great, a cliffhanger.

Oh no! Belkar married Miko!!!

sihnfahl
2007-11-02, 09:35 AM
Rampant speculation:

What's to say that this fleet isn't sailing BACK to Azure City to retake it?<snip>

Well...

I think it'd be kind of weird to have, you know, a WEDDING on a ship heading to a battle zone, when a perfectly good, safe place to have it on land is available. A place where fresh food and water aren't in short supply.

You can only put so much on a ship, and you can't sustain 40k+ people using nothing but third-level Create Food And Water spells - which is what they'd need to dislodge 20k+ hobgoblins and 20k+ undead (the dead hobbos, all the AC guards and any recent dead in AC's graveyard) from an entrenched position with an Epic Lich commanding...

Yeril
2007-11-02, 09:39 AM
Great, a cliffhanger.

Oh no! Belkar married Miko!!!

I Lol'd! :smallbiggrin:

Blayze
2007-11-02, 09:48 AM
It'd be amusing if the next words to be spoken by Durkon were "...and wife", just as we get to see that Daigo, pimp that he is, is marrying both Kazumi and Lien.

Blink Dawg
2007-11-02, 09:52 AM
First of all hello from a LONG time lurker first time poster.

So here is my take on the cliffhanger:

Last thing we know about the living part of the OotS was that Haley and Belkar were left in Azure City with the fleet out in the ocean with the rest of the team. And now what we see is that the ships are still in the ocean, and they are all staying together; plus someone is getting married.

I'm gonna lay off the wedding speculations but the setting offly reminds me of a certain series. Would be pretty interesting if it turns out to be something like that and it would explain why Durkon didn't get around to res Roy.

Oy...
You mean -
"Fleeing the Xykon Tyranny"

Tyrael
2007-11-02, 09:53 AM
According to the last page of SoD - Yes

Dammit, MARK your SoD spoilers BEFORE the spoiler tags!!! :furious:

Kdansky
2007-11-02, 10:03 AM
More than worth the 500. Rich, you're a evil, genious mastermind. I exspected a lot, but not a marriage.

Goddamit, now I have to wait for 501. AAARGGGHHH

BeySann
2007-11-02, 10:14 AM
Regarding the 'junk wedding', I'm really surprised that...

...no one has thought out Durkons' next line... which will be 'An tha's how getting married would work!' He's *explaining* to Elan what would happen during a ceremony.

See, if a marriage *was* occurring, it would be performed by the ships Captain, and not by an outlander cleric, no?

Oh, and BTW, Rich - OOTS is outstanding!

im4eversmart
2007-11-02, 10:28 AM
My guess? It's those two previously unnamed soldiers, because there is no way they would play on a marriage between Elan and Haley without some dramatic "Will you marry me?" scene. Although I have to say I can't see Elan actually saying that...

sun_tzu
2007-11-02, 10:30 AM
Dammit, MARK your SoD spoilers BEFORE the spoiler tags!!! :furious:

It's not really much of a spoiler, really. I mean, it's not like there was suspense built toward it or anything.

sihnfahl
2007-11-02, 10:36 AM
See, if a marriage *was* occurring, it would be performed by the ships Captain, and not by an outlander cleric, no?
All romantic notions aside, this really only works if the Captain has the authority to (for US Citizens, the Captain has to be a justice of the peace, a minister, or someone like a notary public).

It also doesn't mean the Captain -has- to do it. If the people who're going to be married request a specific person officiate, and that person has the recognized authority, it's within their rights.

They've been with Durkon for four months; in that time, he's probably gathered a lot of respect from folks. I mean, he IS lawful good, would have been healing / curing / feeding folks gratis, listening to them, serving as a Cleric would...

SolkaTruesilver
2007-11-02, 10:38 AM
I think I have a theory about why this strip is a little (sorry Rich) un-spectacular, outside the snipping duel & marriage

The last page is about a quarter of the normal size. I think it's obvious that Rich wants to come back later (when the cliff-hanger won't be THAT satisfying to impose on us) to re-draw another superpanel of.. something. When we'll all know who's marrying, the cliffhanger won't be as interesting. Off course, that's just a theory.

Netaria
2007-11-02, 10:42 AM
XDD Congrats on reaching 500! And such a great comic to mark the number! Looking forward to the rest! Best of Luck!

--Am I the only one who can't help, but to really dislike Roy's father?

The Kool
2007-11-02, 10:43 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Whoisitwhoisitwhoisitwhoisit?!?!?

Twilight Jack
2007-11-02, 10:52 AM
Wow. Geez.

Really shows a... semi-different... side of Eugene. He apparently still wants Roy to stay with him, for some twisted reason. Selfishness? Loneliness? Who knows?

And the last panel; I didn't expect THAT to be the returning scene. Definately took me by complete surprise. A surprising turn of events there.

The Bride: Why did he accept me?
Bill: Because he's a very, very, very old man. And like all rotten bastards, when they get old, they become lonely. Not that that has any effect on their dispositions. But they do learn the value of company.

SnowballMan
2007-11-02, 10:53 AM

And on those same lines, what spell would you use to send it to them?

And I'm surprise noone has said it yet... HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ROY!!

How do you celebrate a birthday if your dead?

It's frustrating when the updates happens while I'm at work... by the time I get home, everyone's said everything worth saying already. -sigh-

Which leaves me only one thing to say...

Thank you Mr. Burlew for making such a great comic.
(and if you make it through another 500, I'll get you a cake)

tamashii
2007-11-02, 10:55 AM
Anyone else getting a BSG feeling from the end of this comic? I mean, how long those folks been out to sea? 4… 5 months?

I agree that the ones that are getting married are the named soldiers. That would be sweet.

Prince_Rohan
2007-11-02, 11:03 AM
Rich

In the event that you read this, I'd like to personally offer you a big...

THANK YOU !!

...and congratulations for 500 fantastic comics and a couple great books to boot.

Keep on keeping on.

atteSmythe
2007-11-02, 11:06 AM
Today's cliffhanger is the printed compilation's pageturner. As suspenseful as it is now, it ought to be awesome in print!

Anyone else getting a BSG feeling from the end of this comic? I mean, how long those folks been out to sea? 4… 5 months?
Yes! The moment they said that their supplies were low, and they'd have to look for somewhere to settle while retaking AC, I thought of Galactica. I have faith that the Giant's handling of the plot will be much, much better.

Which is to say, the entire game won't change after the second season, and it just might turn out that not everyone with an opening credit is a Cylon. :smallyuk:

Calemyr
2007-11-02, 11:06 AM
A few things to comment on here...

First, Eugene. I think I'm beginning to understand where he's coming from. You see, I'm a computer science guy and my own father is an old school Jack of All Trades. He's a good man and we get along quite well, but he still has a hard time relating with me because we come from such different mindsets. As such, he leaps at each and every opportunity to help me whenever he is able, be it a few bucks for gas or talking me through how to fix my water heater. These things matter quite a lot to him because it's a way to stay connected with me. I think the same goes for Eugene: he does want to be part of his son's life, desperately, but the only relationship they have is their constant verbal sparring. When he feels even that last connection failing, he makes any deal he needs to to keep from losing his son entirely. It's dysfunctional, it's stupid, and it's insane, but that only makes it realistic.

Second, food on the sea. Remember that we have a high level cleric on the ship. Create food, create water, and hero's feast are all viable spells in his range that do not require material components, meaning that a good number of people can be kept in good health by a determined Durkon. Supplemented by existing supplies and Lien's fisherman background, it's not hard at all to imagine a small unit of ships being sustained almost indefinitely. (It's times like this that I bet V laments taking conjuration as a restricted school.)

Third, why does everyone think this is the whole of the AC survivors? Isn't it possible, if not probable, that the population did find some place for a temporary settlement? Put yourself in Kabuto's shoes. He can't move against Hinjo because Hinjo's got the remnants of the Order on his side, and even as shattered as they are, they are too powerful for any direct assault? So why not attack Hinjo where he's vulnerable: his sense of honor. "You failed. Our city is lost, our people are lost, all because you wouldn't even attempt a diplomatic solution. Before you dare paint yourself as our leader, you must reclaim our lands. Here, we'll give you our finest boats, enough supplies to get you there, and all the men we can spare. Redeem yourself, and then we'll see if your people will call you their leader..." That way Kabuto rids himself of Hinjo in the short term without angering the Order and at the same time positioning himself as "compassionate mediator" who is trying to help his people in every way possible. If Hinjo dies on the way back, that's hardly his fault, if Hinjo dies in the city, that's hardly his fault, and if Hinjo dies on the way back, well... how is Kabuto to blame? And if he returns alive, he'll return to a people where Kabuto is so deeply entrenched in the system that there will be no place for conquering heroes. In every angle, in every outcome, Kabuto comes out on top.

Finally, the wedding. It's probably not Elan and Haley, and certainly not Elan and anyone else (Elan knows the rules of Narrative Imperative to ever count someone dead without first seeing their body). While the Guards would be a cool and rather sweet option, it's also a bit too weak to be the cornerstone of a new arc. Hinjo makes sense, and while he may be a follower of the Southern Pantheon, I imagine he would likely prefer taking his vows before Thor over a captain with no religious authority at all.

Well, that's my take on the matter...

bibbob147
2007-11-02, 11:07 AM
Maybe its Jullia and Pompey :smallbiggrin:

silvadel
2007-11-02, 11:10 AM
Yep -- actually that pushed Roy up a notch or two for me -- He wanted to prevent Eugene from destroying his brother's extended childhood. You know Eugene would certainly ruin it. It also has the side benefit of knowing you have one place you can go without Eugene being able to follow. And knowing that when you are playing with your brother you wont have Eugene popping in when you just want to finish the castle for the 47th time.

AstralFire
2007-11-02, 11:15 AM
I personally thought this was a fantastic strip. I don't understand the bellyachin' about it not being a good '500' strip.

Heck, most long-running comics just do celebratory filler on their anniversaries. We got a supersized strip.

Shawnis
2007-11-02, 11:17 AM
I am not so concerned as to who is getting hitched,as much as how they are surviving at sea with little to no food and no drinkable water. Perhaps a conjerer is on board?....or cannabalism? :smalleek:

For Elan and Haley to be getting married a few things would have to had happened. First,Haley and Belkar would have had to find a way out of the ruined city (while carrying whats left of Roy) that was cloistered by Xykon. Because Belkar nor Haley are archanely inclined,that would be no small task.
Then they would have to find the fleet of ships that has already left the harbor,then swim out to meet them...all the while carrying Roy...or whatever is left of Roy.

Lira
2007-11-02, 11:21 AM
Oh. Wow. I was not expecting that. :o