PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use the polymorph (non-polymorph) subchool spells?

Darg
2020-09-25, 08:53 AM
Does anyone actually use these spells as written? Take Spider Form for example, by level 5 you can turn into a 25 HD Tangle Terror. I don't know about anyone else, but I think wizards didn't think too hard about their subschool mechanics. Especially as the actual spell "polymorph" ignores almost all of the new rules as set forth.

I generally play with the houserule that all polymorph effects are based on the polymorph spell as the base and as such is limiting in the amount of HD one can turn into.

I'm curious how everyone else deals with these spells.

False God
2020-09-25, 09:02 AM
Spider Form from Drow of the Underdark? The one that specifies you're a "large feindish monstrous spider" as on MM pg 289 and only have 4HD?

Xervous
2020-09-25, 09:11 AM
Very fun as X per day items to give the party. They’re much more limited tools than polymorph so their usage is more distinctive. They won’t solve every scene, but I’ve seen players enjoy trying to stretch the usage of these more limited items.

Darg
2020-09-25, 07:48 PM
Spider Form from Drow of the Underdark? The one that specifies you're a "large feindish monstrous spider" as on MM pg 289 and only have 4HD?

Oops, I was thinking the Spider-Shape Invocation that doesn't specify a specific monstrous spider (only mentions size). Either way, what are your thoughts on these spells and abilities? If you have had people that used them, or yourself, how did they generally work out for you?

Very fun as X per day items to give the party. They’re much more limited tools than polymorph so their usage is more distinctive. They won’t solve every scene, but I’ve seen players enjoy trying to stretch the usage of these more limited items.

I never thought about using polymorph items as fun rewards, that's a good idea. Have you ever had someone go out of their way to get one?

Bronk
2020-09-28, 08:04 AM
It looks like the invocation version also specifies fiendish monstrous spiders, it's just that they only list the sizes in the table.

Darg
2020-09-28, 08:26 AM
Fiendish is a template and DotU introduces new monstrous spiders. So who knows. Personally I'm not 100% convinced even spider form requires using the MM version as the new varieties are monstrous spiders too.