PDA

View Full Version : Custom Spells

Mad_Saulot
2020-09-25, 11:14 AM
I made a few spells but before I add them to my game I wanted to let you guys judge them first

https://gyazo.com/5e6c3bec09d9dff3f25b1b6aafe52829

Herbert_W
2020-10-01, 11:45 AM
Curse of the flesh-eater

The name of the spell and the spell's function are at odds. This is a straightforwards attack spell, but the name sounds like a curse that has something to do with eating meat (or perhaps cannibalism?)

Forcing the target of a spell to move on a successful save is just plain odd and abuseable. Imagine casting this spell on someone next to a cliff - either they take acid damage, or they fall off the cliff. There's no way to avoid suffering at least one of these effects!

Also consider what effect this spell would have on a creature in e.g. a narrow corridor that can't move out of the area of effect. By the description as written, the spell would move the creature anyways, presumably via teleportation and with no restriction against teleporting them into a solid object.

Summon shadows

Once again, the name of the spell and it's description conflict. This spell doesn't summon anything - it animates shadows that are already there!

I assume that animated shadows are already a creature with stats in your game. This spell could be balanced by comparing it to existing summon monster spells.

The fact that this spell can only be cast on creatures with shadows and (I assume) cannot be cast on the same creatures twice as their shadows are taken over on the first casting adds interesting restrictions on its use that might justify making it slightly more powerful than summon monster.

If this spell is cast on a creature, when does that creature regain its normal shadow?

Pendulum

This spell could be very powerful in the right situation; otherwise if just gives enemies a good reason to get out of the way. I like the concept.

Summon person

How easy is it in your campaign to find out someone's true name? I'm asking because this spell could be used by players who are even remotely clever to create what is effectively a save-or-die effect on any living humanoid whose true name they know by teleporting them into a prepared trap. They wouldn't even need to get close to their target, and if the spell fails then they could just try again with no repercussions other than a lost 7th level spell slot!

Zook's juxtaposition

I like the concept, because there's a ton of ways that clever players could use this spell. There's a few obvious tactical uses: inserting an ally into a location where another ally can more easily reach, and withdrawing an (e.g. injured) ally from a location which another ally could more easily escape. Using this spell on enemies creates more opportunities. If players create a situation where an ally can stand in a dangerous location (e.g. have a fire-immune character stand in a fire or a flying ally high above the ground) then they can force an enemy into that location. A flying caster at an elevation of 30 ft with an ally at 60 ft could force an enemy 60 ft into the air! That's a little powerful for a 2nd level spell, but given that you'd also need two flight spells to pull it off maybe it's balanced.

The above assumes that this spell only targets creatures, which is a questionable assumption. What are the limits on what this spell can target? Could I toss a pebble over a cliff and target it and the BBEG while the pebble is still in the air and within range? Could I not bother with the pebble and juxtapose the BBEG with a patch or air?

Toxic blast

It's a straightforwards attack spell. I don't have much to say here.

Violent solitude

So . . . once again, this forces movement on a successful save - but this time, the movement is forced regardless of whether the save is successful or not. That's a tad powerful for a 3rd level spell, but the fact that optimum use of the spell requires that the caster be close to their enemies while no allies are nearby balances this somewhat.

General grammar and phrasing

Most of your spell descriptions consist of short sentences that are linked together into longer "sentences" through commas rather than the expected period and capital. I can still understand your spell descriptions, of course, but incorrect punctuation makes them a bit awkward to read.