PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Pharmacist Ranger subclass

Lvl 2 Expert
2020-09-26, 05:59 AM
This subclass has moved, it found a good home in the 18th 5e Subclass Contest (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?618628-Subclass-Contest-XVIII-Five-Stars&p=24732133#post24732133), alongside many other interesting subclasses that could use your love and feedback.

This move happened under special permission from contest administrator MoleMage. Do not try this at home.

Lvl 2 Expert
2020-09-26, 06:00 AM
The contents of this second post were moved as well.

Lvl 2 Expert
2020-09-26, 06:01 AM
And this one was already just a reserved sign.

nickl_2000
2020-09-28, 11:03 AM
Revelation:
Small copy and paste typo: In addition, you use your Intelligence modifier when setting the saving throw DC for an artificer spell you cast and when making an attack roll with one.

In the rare case you make it to level 20, you may also want to change the Foe Slayer ability to use Int if you make that choice.

Expanded Spell List - There are some odd choices here in my opinion, nothing is horrible but I am not sure how Comprehend Languages, Daeth Ward, or Telekensis come in. Are those based on standard potions?

Brew Concoction - This is actually really, really power of a skill when interacting with the right party. Giving hunter's mark to a Fighter is absolutely crazy (I've seen in happen with a Spell Storing Ring on an EK fighter). I am not saying that this is a bad thing, just something you have to keep in mind. Even more so when you can give Guardian of Nature to someone. I am glad that you limited this to Ranger Spells only, since multiclass could cause some nasty, nasty combinations. Also, I'm glad you covered material components.

Chemical Defense - 2 resistances feels like to much to me.

Coated Weapons - woo, this is also a lot more damage. A two weapons fighter style with hunter's mark will be doing 3d6 + 3d6 (this ability) + 3d6(hunter's mark) + 2*dex. That's a substantial increase in damage, especially if you can pull in spells correctly. I think the better way to do this is that is requires some action/bonus action to apply the poison and have it only last 1 minute at a time. This allows the damage still, but limits the use of it to be more active.

Overall, this is a great concept. It gives cool abilities and a reason for someone to take Ranger past 6 levels. I really like that you can be a team player and give others your spells. Check out a few of the balance issues that I mentioned and you could very quickly take this from a good subclass into an amazing subclass.

Lvl 2 Expert
2020-09-28, 01:52 PM
This reply is not gone, it lives on in the contest's chat thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?559110-D-amp-D-5e-Subclass-Contest-Chat-Thread&p=24732141#post24732141).