PDA

View Full Version : Tempest Cleric Build Help

juicytusk
2020-09-26, 02:37 PM
Hey y'all,

I'm in a party of 5 level 5 players (not including myself) and my old character (Wild Magic Sorcerer) recently died. I want to play a tempest domain cleric, but I'm not sure how to build the character.

My DM banned multiclass, and only official books are allowed (no UA).

The party has a: Totem Barbarian (Bear), Hexblade Warlock, Arcane Trickster Rogue, Battlemaster Fighter, and Life Cleric. All are level 5.

We get our stats via point buy, so I'd love some advice on stats, race, feats, spells, etc.

Thanks!

Snowbluff
2020-09-26, 03:14 PM
I quite like Tempest Cleric, having played one in AL.

I would probably invest in Magic Initiate to pick up the Booming Blade cantrip from SCAG. It stacks with the Tempest Domain's Divine Strike and is pretty good for doing a little a control tanking, as a treat. For the leveled spell, Find Familiar (I like RPing having a pet, maybe get a pet hawk!), or Shield.

If you're taking the feat, variant Human is a natural option. Wood Elf might be a nice flavor choice with the ability to blend into fog, and has good stats for a dex based cleric.

For stats, I would say have a good wisdom, a decent con and dex/str (depending if you wanna have medium or heavy armor. Heavy armor is higher AC, but dex is better for saves and init). Tempest Cleric likes making weapon attacks having either dex or str at a decent level lets you mix it up in a fight.

As for tactics, if you're ranged fighting a Call Lighting can be handy for zapping people. For melee I like to combine Booming Blade with Spirit Guardians and Spiritual Weapon for good DPR while also helping control enemy movements.

Frogreaver
2020-09-26, 03:14 PM
Hey y'all,

I'm in a party of 5 level 5 players (not including myself) and my old character (Wild Magic Sorcerer) recently died. I want to play a tempest domain cleric, but I'm not sure how to build the character.

The party has a: Totem Barbarian (Bear), Hexblade Warlock, Arcane Trickster Rogue, Battlemaster Fighter, and Life Cleric. All are level 5.

We get our stats via point buy, so I'd love some advice on stats, race, feats, spells, etc.

Thanks!

Ya'll have tons of single target damage. Limited AOE which is an area you can help in. You have shatter. Plan to use it mostly anytime you can catch 3+ enemies (and sometimes 2, just depends). You should be maximizing it either at important moments or when you catch a good number of enemies in it. Plan to stay up on the front lines so damage can be spread around to different bodies (aoe heals are usually a bit more effecient).

Higher level slots than level 2 should mostly be used on maximize shatter, spirit guardians or healing.

Feats, probably res con. Maybe warcaster as well. I'm thinking variant human with magic initiatie for booming blade and find familiar (or shield).

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-09-26, 03:28 PM
Variant Human, Str 15+1, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 8, Wis 15+1, Cha 8.

Pick one of the Ravnica backgrounds that adds spells to your class if there's anything you like. Customize out the proficiencies and/or feature it grants per PHB p125.

Take War Caster and Magic Initiate for Booming Blade, a utility cantrip (Mage Hand?), and a utility 1st level spell (Find Familiar? Absorb Elements?). Future ASIs should be used to increase Str and Wis as you prefer.

Wear heavy armor and use a shield with whatever 1d8 one-handed weapon you prefer.

Do you get to begin play with any magic items? A +1 shield or +1 weapon or cloak of protection should be top picks for uncommon items. If you get to pick common items get a Dread Helm from Xanathar's but make the eyes crackle with electricity instead of glowing red.

CMCC
2020-09-26, 03:34 PM
Hey y'all,

Thanks!

Why do DMs like to ban one of the most fun aspects of the game?

CTurbo
2020-09-26, 03:45 PM
Nothing wrong with having 2 Clerics. Can you tell us about the Life Cleric? You *could* both be heavy armor front line warriors(Tempest is actually better than Life at that), or if the Life Cleric plays on the front line, and you'd rather play differently, Tempest make excellent back line AOE blasters too.

Tempests work either Str focused or Dex focuses. Str gets you better weapons and +1 AC, but Dex gets you better Initiative and stealth.

5e Clerics are easy and effective to play. You want-

1. High AC
2. to be as good at Con saves as possible so Warcaster and/or Res(Con)
3. Maxed Wis

If you want to play on the frontlines and use your weapon from time to time, choose a race that boosts both Str and Wis. If you don't care about using weapons, choose a race that can boost Con and Wis.

You can't go wrong with Hill Dwarf. Start 16 Con and 16 Wis. You could even wear Heavy Armor still.

No matter what Race you choose, for your level 4 and 8 ASIs, I'd take +2 Wis and Warcaster if your Con score is even, or Res(Con) if your Con score is odd.

Magic Initiative is not a bad pick. Booming Blade is good for Tempests, but no matter what you're going to find that attacking with a weapon is rarely the best way to use your action. Especially at higher levels.

CMCC
2020-09-26, 07:19 PM
If you can figure out a way to make shocking grasp work on this build - please let me know!

The idea of a cantrip (advantage on metal armor) that can also knock back enemies 10 feet - no save - is too good to let go for me.

juicytusk
2020-09-26, 08:59 PM
Nothing wrong with having 2 Clerics. Can you tell us about the Life Cleric? You *could* both be heavy armor front line warriors(Tempest is actually better than Life at that), or if the Life Cleric plays on the front line, and you'd rather play differently, Tempest make excellent back line AOE blasters too.

Tempests work either Str focused or Dex focuses. Str gets you better weapons and +1 AC, but Dex gets you better Initiative and stealth.

5e Clerics are easy and effective to play. You want-

1. High AC
2. to be as good at Con saves as possible so Warcaster and/or Res(Con)
3. Maxed Wis

If you want to play on the frontlines and use your weapon from time to time, choose a race that boosts both Str and Wis. If you don't care about using weapons, choose a race that can boost Con and Wis.

You can't go wrong with Hill Dwarf. Start 16 Con and 16 Wis. You could even wear Heavy Armor still.

No matter what Race you choose, for your level 4 and 8 ASIs, I'd take +2 Wis and Warcaster if your Con score is even, or Res(Con) if your Con score is odd.

Magic Initiative is not a bad pick. Booming Blade is good for Tempests, but no matter what you're going to find that attacking with a weapon is rarely the best way to use your action. Especially at higher levels.

The life cleric rarely goes to the front line, and usually either heals (with a healer's kit) or attacks with spiritual weapon and guiding bolt. I'd prefer to be more of a front-liner (mostly because I think the Thor aesthetic is really cool)

Goldlizard
2020-09-26, 09:07 PM
I love tempest Clerics! having played a few before, you really want to take a few things:
get a STR weapon, grab a shield, strap on plate and run into the front line. The TC is a tank who uses spells to augment their capabilities.
Take bonus action spells, preferably Call Lightning and Spiritual weapon. They both deal good damage, and Spiritual Weapon is non-concentration.
Make use of Channel Divinity, especially on Shatters. Don't forget how much structural damage the spell can do!
Always use Lightning Damage on Rebuke. The Knockback will pay for itself
Pick Dwarf, Hill or Mountain, though any combo of STR-CON-WIS will work for the build.

CTurbo
2020-09-26, 09:51 PM
The life cleric rarely goes to the front line, and usually either heals (with a healer's kit) or attacks with spiritual weapon and guiding bolt. I'd prefer to be more of a front-liner (mostly because I think the Thor aesthetic is really cool)

Cool so I'd either go

1. Hill Dwarf with 14 Str, 16 Con, 16 Wis and with your next 3 ASIs, boost Wis +2 twice and take Warcaster in any order.

2. Variant Human with 16 Str, 14 Con, 16 Wis and with your next 3 ASIs, boost Wis +2 twice and take Warcaster in any order. With your starting feat, Res(Con) is great although Warcaster would be fine. Magic Initiate for Booming Blade, another cantrip and 1 spell(I prefer Find Familiar), or even Heavy Armor Master would work. Keep in mind that Res(Con) adds +1 to Con and Heavy Armor Master adds +1 to Str. You don't NEED both Warcaster and Res(Con) but I'd definitely want one of them.

Just remember....
1. Max Wisdom!
2. Highest AC possible
3. Concentration saves!

Tempests are my absolute favorite. You're going to have a good time.

CMCC
2020-09-26, 10:19 PM
Cool so I'd either go

1. Hill Dwarf with 14 Str, 16 Con, 16 Wis and with your next 3 ASIs, boost Wis +2 twice and take Warcaster in any order.

2. Variant Human with 16 Str, 14 Con, 16 Wis and with your next 3 ASIs, boost Wis +2 twice and take Warcaster in any order. With your starting feat, Res(Con) is great although Warcaster would be fine. Magic Initiate for Booming Blade, another cantrip and 1 spell(I prefer Find Familiar), or even Heavy Armor Master would work. Keep in mind that Res(Con) adds +1 to Con and Heavy Armor Master adds +1 to Str. You don't NEED both Warcaster and Res(Con) but I'd definitely want one of them.

Just remember....
1. Max Wisdom!
2. Highest AC possible
3. Concentration saves!

Tempests are my absolute favorite. You're going to have a good time.

Do you multiclass out? What do they have past 8 that’s worthwhile?

KorvinStarmast
2020-09-26, 10:29 PM
Do you multiclass out? What do they have past 8 that’s worthwhile? The OP's DM does not do multiclass.

For the OP:

vHuman
Tempest Cleric
s 14 d 12 c 13 i 10 w 15 ch 8

S 15 D 12 C 14(feat) I 10 W 16 Ch 8
Feat: Res Con
First ASI: +2 Wis.
Spirit Guardians is a must
You will find that Fog Cloud is an interesting way to shape the battlefield. Use it.
Spiritual Weapon: gives you some new attacks sometimes, but keep an eye on spell slots.
Thrown weapons. You can dump INT and boost STR to 16, but eventually, those history and religion checks might not be worth the -1. Your call.

Cantrips: Guidance and Toll the Dead are both good, Light and Sacred Flame are pretty standard. But there are other options.

Shocking Grasp gets a boost from your domain features, so consider finding a way to get that.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-09-27, 01:27 AM

You won't get extra attack, so your best bet for having good damage output is to get a cantrip that adds damage to a melee attack. That's why I recommended Magic Initiate to get Booming Blade, especially considering it deals thunder damage. Just don't pick any Magic Initiate spells that rely on a spellcasting ability. Warcaster is an obvious choice since it lets you use Booming Blade on an opportunity attack, and helps you maintain concentration on Bless and similar, plus casting spells with your hands full. Starting with 16 Str and Wis allows you to ASI both up to 20 by 20th level.

It's just a shame that Thunderbolt Strike only works on lightning damage, as it only works with your Call Lightning domain spell, the only other spell on the entire Cleric list that can deal lightning damage is Glyph of Warding. However, the Izzet Engineer background gives you Shocking Grasp and more importantly Elemental Weapon. With Elemental Weapon you can deal lightning damage on every melee attack for an hour, so you Booming Blade them and then push them back 10 ft. triggering Booming Blade's secondary damage automatically. EDIT: This doesn't actually work, Booming Blade only goes off if they move willingly... this makes me sad.

There's also a Javelin of Lightning which is an uncommon item you may want to get, it can only be used 1/day but it doesn't require attunement so later on you can carry several of them. The absolute best item for you in the late game is the Illusionist's Bracers from Ravnica, whenever you cast a cantrip you can cast the same one again as a bonus action in the same round.

Sorinth
2020-09-27, 05:01 AM
If you plan on the booming blade route then High Elf is worth considering since they also get BB for free and with Tasha's stat swapping is better overall then V. Human and taking Magic Initiate.

MrStabby
2020-09-27, 05:41 AM
You won't get extra attack, so your best bet for having good damage output is to get a cantrip that adds damage to a melee attack. That's why I recommended Magic Initiate to get Booming Blade, especially considering it deals thunder damage. Just don't pick any Magic Initiate spells that rely on a spellcasting ability. Warcaster is an obvious choice since it lets you use Booming Blade on an opportunity attack, and helps you maintain concentration on Bless and similar, plus casting spells with your hands full. Starting with 16 Str and Wis allows you to ASI both up to 20 by 20th level.

It's just a shame that Thunderbolt Strike only works on lightning damage, as it only works with your Call Lightning domain spell, the only other spell on the entire Cleric list that can deal lightning damage is Glyph of Warding. However, the Izzet Engineer background gives you Shocking Grasp and more importantly Elemental Weapon. With Elemental Weapon you can deal lightning damage on every melee attack for an hour, so you Booming Blade them and then push them back 10 ft. triggering Booming Blade's secondary damage automatically. EDIT: This doesn't actually work, Booming Blade only goes off if they move willingly... this makes me sad.

There's also a Javelin of Lightning which is an uncommon item you may want to get, it can only be used 1/day but it doesn't require attunement so later on you can carry several of them. The absolute best item for you in the late game is the Illusionist's Bracers from Ravnica, whenever you cast a cantrip you can cast the same one again as a bonus action in the same round.

Actually it kind of can work with booming blade... knocking them back won't trigger BB but when they move to get back within reach of you they will. Not perfect, but it isn't terrible either.

Eldariel
2020-09-27, 07:49 AM
For melee Tempest Cleric I really like Magic Initiate: BB + whatever (I prefer Minor Illusion and Mold Earth but there are plenty of good options) and then War Caster on 4 - this makes you an impossible-to-ignore juggernaut in the frontline as your can BB attack of opportunity if enemies try to walk past you and that hurts a lot starting from level 5 and you have the option of maximizing it too. Obviously your level 1 spell is Find Familiar, since you don't really have much use for the others and when you're hitting one big melee attack (+2d8 Thunder from Divine Strike and then BB damage on top of it), using your familiar for advantage on it is pretty big game. Obviously for advantage granting Owl is the best (since it has Flyby which lets it not provoke AoOs) but you can flavour it as a stormcrow or some such.

This makes it hard to fit Res: Con and get that sweet 16 Con; and of course, HP is great. But 16 Str and Wis is good enough and you can make do with 14 Con if you make use of your defensive abilities. Of course, there's a lot to be said for 16 Con too and indeed, starting 15 Con and planning on taking Res: Con isn't a bad idea though it does push your Wis boosts down annoyingly far (but then again, I've played a Wizard who took his first Int boost on level 12 and while it did cost him few save-or-Xs, the benefits of Res: Con/Lucky/Alert were more than worth it IMO since they saved the party more than once especially in ambushes). War Caster and Res: Con are pretty great together on higher levels where it's somewhat normal to take 40+ damage in a hit so that you have to roll a DC20 Concentration save.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-09-27, 09:55 AM
Actually it kind of can work with booming blade... knocking them back won't trigger BB but when they move to get back within reach of you they will. Not perfect, but it isn't terrible either.

Good catch! If you knock them back so they can't reach anyone, they're stuck taking the BB secondary damage or just not attacking anyone for the turn.

If you plan on the booming blade route then High Elf is worth considering since they also get BB for free and with Tasha's stat swapping is better overall then V. Human and taking Magic Initiate.

I completely forgot about the new Tasha's rules, this is perfect. With that you can start with Str and Wis 16, Dex 10, and either Con 14 and Int and Cha 10 and 8 as preferred, or Con 15 and Int and Cha 8. Get Warcaster at 4th and Res: Con at 8th if you start with 15, otherwise just max Str and Wis with ASIs.

You can even swap the four elf weapon proficiencies for four tool proficiencies per Tasha's. If determining the value of gems and jewelry has been an issue so far, proficiency with jeweler's tools is a must-have. Proficiency with an herbalism kit allows you to make healing potions during down time and it doesn't hurt to have multiple people with this due to the amount of time it takes. Land/water vehicle proficiency can really help if one person has it, same for navigator's tools and cartographer's tools. Cook's utensils can also be helpful as well as fun for RP. You can even teach other party members your tool proficiencies with sufficient downtime (PHB p187).

Petrocorus
2020-09-28, 10:12 AM
Guys, Tasha is not out yet, and the DM may not allow the feature swapping, don't insist on the OP using it.

Tempest cleric is one of the best cleric IMHO.

Hill Dwarf is an obvious choice for heavy armor cleric, but there are other options. Like Firbolg.
For a Dex build, wood elf, but ghostwise halfling and also maybe lizardfolk.
Vuman is always good for any build.

I would probably invest in Magic Initiate to pick up the Booming Blade cantrip from SCAG. It stacks with the Tempest Domain's Divine Strike and is pretty good for doing a little a control tanking, as a treat. For the leveled spell, Find Familiar (I like RPing having a pet, maybe get a pet hawk!), or Shield.
I'd like to insist to the OP that spells acquired through feat may use one of you dump stat as casting stat. This is why everyone is speaking of BB (which doesn't care for the casting stat) and not of Lightning Lure, despite this one doing lightning damage.
So, if you take MI, be careful with you spell selection.

But how do you knock them back? Not with Thunderbolt Strike.
Does BB work with a bull rush?

Eldariel
2020-09-28, 10:26 AM

The original suggestion was Elemental Weapon from a Ravnica background.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-09-28, 02:01 PM

The Izzet Engineer background in Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica adds a number of spells to your class spell list, one of them being Elemental Weapon.

Booming Blade says they only take the secondary damage if they willingly move. However, knocking them back so they don't have anyone in reach will force them to move back into melee and take that secondary damage, or lose a round of attacks, or use a ranged attack if they have one. Most melee opponents' ranged attacks are subpar.

I'd specifically recommended not picking any MI spells that rely on a spellcasting ability. The ones I suggested were BB, Mage Hand, and either Find Familiar or Absorb Elements.

You're right about Tasha's not being out yet, but certain rules changes it contains have been 100% confirmed already. So it's up to OP's DM whether they'll be allowed, if so High Elf is best, if not V.Human is the way to go. In either case the character's heavily armored with a shield and their primary method of attack is BB, with War Caster to use it with their hands full and to OA with it as well. A front line melee cleric, just like OP wanted, with their primary gimmick involving thunder and lightning damage.

Snowbluff
2020-09-28, 04:17 PM
If you can figure out a way to make shocking grasp work on this build - please let me know!

The idea of a cantrip (advantage on metal armor) that can also knock back enemies 10 feet - no save - is too good to let go for me.

I'd like to insist to the OP that spells acquired through feat may use one of you dump stat as casting stat. This is why everyone is speaking of BB (which doesn't care for the casting stat) and not of Lightning Lure, despite this one doing lightning damage.
So, if you take MI, be careful with you spell selection.

The other thing of note is that Booming Blade stacks with Divine Strike, while Shocking Grasp does not. CMCC, I would suggest using the UA variant that gives clerics Blessed Strike, which adds to spell or weapon damage once per turn.

Tempest cleric is one of the best cleric IMHO.

Hill Dwarf is an obvious choice for heavy armor cleric, but there are other options. Like Firbolg.
For a Dex build, wood elf, but ghostwise halfling and also maybe lizardfolk.
Vuman is always good for any build.

I quite enjoy Tempest Cleric. Easily my favorite of the martial clerics.

Petrocorus
2020-09-28, 04:37 PM
The original suggestion was Elemental Weapon from a Ravnica background.

The Izzet Engineer background in Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica adds a number of spells to your class spell list, one of them being Elemental Weapon.

Thank you both.

Chugger
2020-09-29, 01:59 PM
For this party I'd consider Light Cleric - with your Sorc gone your party has no AoE. Light Cleric is best cleric at AoE - but if you want Tempest you can make it work. Your party is low on counterspellers - only the hexblade can do it now that your sorc is gone. And he has few slots.

Your party is also now very weak on controlling - no one has access to the great control spells. Just keep that in mind. Fights are going to be grindy.