PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Vampire Antagonist Build - thats neither boring nor any type of Full Caster

GrayDeath
2020-09-27, 03:41 PM
As the title says collecting Ideas.

my CO DM and I need a Vampire Antagonist in the overall CR Category between 17 and 20, that while having Spells or similar, is NOT a Spellcaster first but neither has weaknesses our Grouup (in that case a Sorcerer focussed on Blasting and Abjuration, a well optimized Scout/Stalker Gestalt and a classic Hextor Cleric, all level 15 or 16 whena ttacking) could exploit too easily.

They have access to an Artifact that allows them to quite closely find out where he is and how he holds up powerwise (HD, BAB, 4 favourite Spells, Saves) but not EVERYTHING, and since they have only 5 days they also cant use it a second time (once per Month).

Mind, we dont want to build it so they dont ahve a chance, but challenge them within the range of half the Group dying unless they are really good.

This is an idea collection thread, so I dont need detailed Builds, but more detail is always nice.

To avoid doubling up: So far our idea is a Vampire Lord Warlord or Paladin of Tyranny (replacing Spells with maneuvers).

BioCharge
2020-09-27, 07:54 PM
Hmm, a build that comes to mind is a Ruby Knight Vindicator. As the DMs, you could also drop the requirement to worship We-Jas and replace Cleric levels with Ur-Priest, if desired. It's a little feat intense, but you could also go for the Bear Fang weapon style feat to get them to be able to start a grapple against their target. Let them get Tiger Claw maneuvers to synergize with the dual wielding as well. They'd have the protective abilities of a Cleric, swordsmanship of a decently leveled crusader (especially if you replace with Ur-Priest), and can even fairly naturally get in the grapple-bite that Vampires a good for.

Though, if that is still too "full castery" for you, you could also try a Swordsage/Shadowsun Ninja. Could even have become a Shadowsun Ninja that used their ability too much and thus became a Vampire that doesn't have the vulnerability to sinlight. Could even stick with the same weapon combo to continue the bite combo I mentioned above.

Toliudar
2020-09-28, 03:21 PM
How about a blood storm blade with some sort of custom item of Blood Wind? Combine with some kind of way to strip away some or all of the buffs they'd put on to face him (wall of dispel magic on the way into the encounter, etc) It should allow him to use his natural attacks at a distance and have them mean something.

Silly Name
2020-09-28, 03:28 PM
Do you consider Bard as full caster? I find it goes well with vampirism, and it's pretty cool to have an immortal bloodsucker who sings dolorous dirges... Or maybe rocks it out every night with thralls being used as the musicians in his band!

Standard bard builds work pretty much normally, although you may want to take levels in Dirgesinger for the extra focus on undead creatures, or Seeker of the Song if you want to emphasise the immortality angle.

zfs
2020-09-28, 03:31 PM
I like the ideas above about focusing on natural attacks - how about a bit of psionics to give it access to Claws of the Vampire, and maybe even going into Black Blood Cultist? In practice you get a vampire who acts like a werewolf, but would still retain his Vampire tricks.

Buddy76
2020-09-28, 04:20 PM
If the antagonist is a Vampire Lord, maybe leverage the at will telekinesis with Master of the Unseem Hand? You only need 4 levels. You can even combine that with Toliudar's sugestion of Bloodstorm Blade to fling weapons with your mind (don't know it that's possible by raw, but sounds pretty cool).

GrayDeath
2020-09-28, 05:02 PM
Do you consider Bard as full caster? I find it goes well with vampirism, and it's pretty cool to have an immortal bloodsucker who sings dolorous dirges... Or maybe rocks it out every night with thralls being used as the musicians in his band!

Standard bard builds work pretty much normally, although you may want to take levels in Dirgesinger for the extra focus on undead creatures, or Seeker of the Song if you want to emphasise the immortality angle.

That is one alternative we didnt think of yet.
Nice. especially since 2 of the Players are "Bards are useless unless you ahve a group of 5+" Camp members....^^

I like the ideas above about focusing on natural attacks - how about a bit of psionics to give it access to Claws of the Vampire, and maybe even going into Black Blood Cultist? In practice you get a vampire who acts like a werewolf, but would still retain his Vampire tricks.

So, ripping off Twilight?
Probably not, even if it sounds hilarious.

If the antagonist is a Vampire Lord, maybe leverage the at will telekinesis with Master of the Unseem Hand? You only need 4 levels. You can even combine that with Toliudar's sugestion of Bloodstorm Blade to fling weapons with your mind (don't know it that's possible by raw, but sounds pretty cool).

He isnt a Vampire Lord PER SE. But he can be one (given the low CR Cost for the Upgrade compared to the Advantages)....
Not a Bad idea either, thanks!

@ All. Thank you, keep it coming!

RaiKirah
2020-09-29, 12:04 AM
Four levels of Hellbreaker gets you the Stowaway ability, which lets you piggyback on teleports as a free action (no effort necessary for allied 'ports, 10+ CL level check for enemy 'ports), which you can pair with teleporting mooks for free movement, plus if the party tries to run he can follow. The class also gives some anti-caster stuff for melee which is pretty cool, and pair it with Shadowpounce for lots of extra attacks. Which reminds me, bursting out of random shadows in a flash of claws feels pretty vampire-y to me, so a Shadowpounce build might be of interest anyways.