PDA

View Full Version : I have really good stats, what should I play?

EroGaki
2020-09-28, 03:35 AM
Hello all!

I will be playing in a game set at 6th level in the Primeval Thule 3rd party setting (Conan-esqe setting, complete with bronze age technology and eldritch horrors from beyond the stars). We rolled for our stats and I rolled some pretty good ones, if I do say so myself: 16,16,16,13,12,12.

The rest of the party is a halfling paladin (I don't know what oath), a dragonborn barbarian, and a human hexblade.

I am currently undecided, having a big case of analysis paralysis. In addition, there is a twist: my character isn't native to the setting. Rather, he is from Eberron. The backstory is that he was in Cyre when the Mourning hit and was somehow blasted to the Thule campaign setting.

Considering his origin, I am strongly leaning towards playing a warforged character; the idea of playing an automaton made of steel and wood in a setting where iron is a rarity is bound to be interesting. But I don't know what class(es) to play. I can use any Eberron setting material for the character.

Given my stats, what would you make?

Unoriginal
2020-09-28, 03:45 AM
Hello all!

I will be playing in a game set at 6th level in the Primeval Thule 3rd party setting (Conan-esqe setting, complete with bronze age technology and eldritch horrors from beyond the stars). We rolled for our stats and I rolled some pretty good ones, if I do say so myself: 16,16,16,13,12,12.

The rest of the party is a halfling paladin (I don't know what oath), a dragonborn barbarian, and a human hexblade.

I am currently undecided, having a big case of analysis paralysis. In addition, there is a twist: my character isn't native to the setting. Rather, he is from Eberron. The backstory is that he was in Cyre when the Mourning hit and was somehow blasted to the Thule campaign setting.

Considering his origin, I am strongly leaning towards playing a warforged character; the idea of playing an automaton made of steel and wood in a setting where iron is a rarity is bound to be interesting. But I don't know what class(es) to play. I can use any Eberron setting material for the character.

I'd go full John Carter and play a Variant Human Barbarian.

But you can also go Warforged Barbarian and become the Iron God of Thule.

Alternatively those are awesome stats for a Monk.

diplomancer
2020-09-28, 03:54 AM
Hello all!

Given all your specifications, specially your party composition (usually, those stats would be great for Paladins, Barbarians, or Monks, but your party already has a Paladin and a Barbarian, and I believe a monk would also not add much to it), this:

https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24723296&postcount=192

2 of your 16s go to Int and Con; 13 goes to wis, 12 goes to cha. You can choose whether you'd rather have 16 str and 14 dex, wearing heavy armor, or 12 str and 18 dex, using light or mage armor. For this setting, I suppose plate mail will be hard to come by, so you might prefer to go light armor. If your DM let's you use the Tasha's rules, you might prefer to start with 18 Int and 17 Con, to get Resilient Con eventually.

I don't think you HAVE to go transmuter, though, as Ludic Savant mentions in the end, that's only if you really want to lean into the healer role, which I don't think is necessary. Choose whatever Wizard you want, maybe diviner. Halfling diviners, specially with Lucky, are great dice manipulators.

Mr Adventurer
2020-09-28, 04:02 AM
Good stats for a MAD class like a War Cleric. Or go Tempest Cleric and really play up being a thunderer

Unoriginal
2020-09-28, 04:17 AM
Ranged Fighter could also be pretty good with that team composition.

Or an AoE master.

diplomancer
2020-09-28, 04:50 AM
Another interestin option that would synegize well with your party is a Bard. Your party has damage well in hand, but is lacking control, rituals, scouting, and healing (though the Paladin covers that a little bit). A Bard would be able to fill all these roles. With your stats, you can also multiclass more easily for a dip in Cleric to improve your AC without sacrificing spell slots. Go Half-Elf, start with 18 Cha, 17 Con, 16 Dex, 14 Wis, 12 Str, 12 Int.

Chugger
2020-09-28, 05:12 AM
Play a Sorlock. Your party needs heals, AoE, control, and/or debuffing (and counterspell). A sorlock can do all that.

First lvl be a celestial sorc for the Con ST. For lvls 2 and 3 go hexblade (med armor, shield, hex, curse, armor of agathys, agonizing blast and one other invo - devils sight maybe). Now you have great AC. Lvls 4 on up go back to celestial sorc.

You can dish out awesome single target damage all day long, even if short rests are hard to come by - using Eldritch Blast and Agonizing Blast (and hex). You can use quicken to double your EB on key fights.

At lvl 5 this is 4 EBs. That's 4 x 1d10 + 1d6 + 4 or 52 average force damage if all hit.

Plus you can take Fireball, hypnotic pattern, counterspell and other great spells - plus some healing spells. You're not a great healer, but you can get people back up in combat - and you're handling many rolls.

KorvinStarmast
2020-09-28, 07:48 AM

The rest of the party is
a halfling paladin
a dragonborn barbarian
a human hexblade.
Level 6.
You add your racial attributes, and then you add level 4 ASI.
I am going to suggest a Hill Dwarf Wizard. (Partly because it's a bit unexpected)
Your Wisdom converts to 14, and your Constitution converts to 18; your INT goes up to 18 at level 4,
Here's what you look like now:

Str 12 Dex 16. Con 18 Int 18, Wis 14, Ch 12.

Your +1 HP per level on top of this high Constitution gives you a sweet amount of HP: if you use the averages per the PHB, that amounts to 6 + 20 +30 = 56 at level 6. 65 at level 7.
You can wear medium armor and still cast spells because you are a dwarf.
You are resistant to poison (and have adv on poison saves), you have dark vision, and your party needs a full caster.
The only thing I'd really want on this character is Warcaster feat since I think you'll want to use buffs and debuffs to enable your martial party mates to shred enemies.

diplomancer
2020-09-28, 10:41 AM
I am going to suggest a Hill Dwarf Wizard. (Partly because it's a bit unexpected)
Your Wisdom converts to 14, and your Constitution converts to 18; your INT goes up to 18 at level 4,

Str 12 Dex 16. Con 18 Int 18, Wis 14, Ch 12.

Your +1 HP per level on top of this high Constitution gives you a sweet amount of HP: if you use the averages per the PHB, that amounts to 6 + 20 +30 = 56 at level 6. 65 at level 7.
You are resistant to poison (and have adv on poison saves), you have dark vision, and your party needs a full caster.
The only thing I'd really want on this character is Warcaster feat since I think you'll want to use buffs and debuffs to enable your martial party mates to shred enemies.

Small correction, no medium armor unless you multiclass, as it is Mountain Dwarf that gives you medium armor proficiency, not Dwarf in general. But I agree that a Wizard is one of the best choices for this party.

Man_Over_Game
2020-09-28, 10:55 AM
The party setup includes a bunch of melee combatants.

Normally, with a good and diverse stat spread, the answer is "Something something Melee, Something Something Magic", as melee combatants struggle the most with balancing stats due to the reliance of AC and Con.

But you already have 3 melee combatants, you don't need a fourth.

Buuut ranged builds don't really have that same level of stat dependency. Multiclassing casters doesn't really work, since WOTC balanced all of the spells around the natural spell level and not the spell slot. So generally the best strategy is just to stick all of your levels into a single casting class.

That is, unless, you manage to find valid reasons to multiclass with spellcasting levels.

Here's one:

Level 1 Life Cleric
Level 3 Divine Soul Sorcerer
Level 3 Chain Warlock

Why? Because Twinned Warding Bond, + Max healing on yourself (from the invocation), and extra healing from Life Cleric. Then max out Life Cleric levels so that the level 6 feature now heals yourself whenever you heal an ally. You'd be a life-sharing martyr that makes your allies indestructible and heals everyone for massive levels of HP.

Another I can imagine is combining the Ranger with Warlock levels, as the Ranger has a bunch of Bonus Action spells that can ride on your ranged attacks, it just needs some fuel to make those effects consistent. It'd make you a more-versatile Arcane Archer.

What you're looking for is some kind of gimmick that ties the levels of your other classes together, so that leveling into a secondary class improves the primary component of your build, as opposed to just giving you alternate options. This is easy with things like Divine Smite, or even most martial builds (a Barbarian can find a use out of Rogue levels and Sneak Attack pretty easily), but the number of features that play well with others drop dramatically when we're talking about spellcasters or anything that isn't a melee combatant.

KorvinStarmast
2020-09-28, 10:58 AM
Small correction, no medium armor unless you multiclass, as it is Mountain Dwarf that gives you medium armor proficiency, not Dwarf in general. But I agree that a Wizard is one of the best choices for this party. Whoops, I'll fix that.

The rest of the party is
a halfling paladin
a dragonborn barbarian
a human hexblade.
Level 6.
I am going to suggest a Mountain Dwarf Wizard. (Partly because it's a bit unexpected)
Your Strength converts to 15, and your Constitution converts to 18; your INT goes up to 18 at level 4,

Str 15 Dex 16. Con 18 Int 18, Wis 12, Ch 12.

Sweet amounts of HP: if you use the averages per the PHB, that amounts to 6 + 20 + 24 = 50 at level 6. 57 at level 7.

IsaacsAlterEgo
2020-09-28, 11:02 AM
Blade bard! You won't be entirely left behind when it comes to the likely party strategy crushing your enemies in melee and seeing them driven before you, but you'll get access to a decent amount of control and utility magic, which your group is going to need based on their current composition.

Second option would be Bladesinger for something similar, but dipping further on the control/utility magic side and away from the melee combatant side.

For stats you can go: 16,16,16,13,12,12. 12 Strength, 16 Dex, 16 Con, 12 Intelligence, 13 Wisdom, 16 Charisma.

You could eventually boost that 13 wisdom to a 14 by grabbing Resilient Wisdom, though you'd be likely much better off focusing on your dex and charisma first. If you'd never plan on taking that you might be better off taking 13 strength since that at least gives you some small benefit over having a 12, unlike wisdom.

Mr Adventurer
2020-09-28, 11:03 AM
Whoops, I'll fix that.
I am going to suggest a Mountain Dwarf Wizard. (Partly because it's a bit unexpected)
Your Strength converts to 15, and your Constitution converts to 18; your INT goes up to 18 at level 4,

Str 15 Dex 16. Con 18 Int 18, Wis 12, Ch 12.

Mountain Dwarves don't get the bonus 1 hp per level, only Hill Dwarves

KorvinStarmast
2020-09-28, 11:22 AM
Mountain Dwarves don't get the bonus 1 hp per level, only Hill Dwarves Fixed as soon as I can type it in ...

zinycor
2020-09-28, 12:42 PM
I would go with a monk, it seems to fit pretty well.

EroGaki
2020-09-28, 09:05 PM
Play a Sorlock. Your party needs heals, AoE, control, and/or debuffing (and counterspell). A sorlock can do all that.

First lvl be a celestial sorc for the Con ST. For lvls 2 and 3 go hexblade (med armor, shield, hex, curse, armor of agathys, agonizing blast and one other invo - devils sight maybe). Now you have great AC. Lvls 4 on up go back to celestial sorc.

You can dish out awesome single target damage all day long, even if short rests are hard to come by - using Eldritch Blast and Agonizing Blast (and hex). You can use quicken to double your EB on key fights.

At lvl 5 this is 4 EBs. That's 4 x 1d10 + 1d6 + 4 or 52 average force damage if all hit.

Plus you can take Fireball, hypnotic pattern, counterspell and other great spells - plus some healing spells. You're not a great healer, but you can get people back up in combat - and you're handling many rolls.

Sorlock would be pretty spiffy. I've had issues with 5e sorcerers, and warlock spells acting as a battery for metamagic would be a big help.

However, I'm hesitant because we have a hexblade warlock in the party already, and I really don't want to step on his toes; it's his first time playing one, and I want him to enjoy all the class has to offer without me doing the same things he does, if that makes sense.

fbelanger
2020-09-28, 09:14 PM
Dont bother play anything you want!

EroGaki
2020-09-28, 09:15 PM
Thank you for the replies, everyone!

A small update on party composition: The hexblade warlock is going to be a tomelock, so will have access to ritual magic and will likely be more ranged focused. The paladin is going with an oath that is in the Thule campaign setting (Oath of Victory) which is all about being victorious in battle. I don't know what the barbarian is doing yet.

I do know that everyone in the party has an absurd charisma stat; the barbarian is lowest at 14, so we will actually all be pretty good in social situations.

EroGaki
2020-09-28, 09:17 PM
Dont bother play anything you want!

I don't know what I want to play, hence the point of this thread. :smallsmile:

RSP
2020-09-29, 09:46 AM

So long as Eberron has them, I’d play a Bladesinger:

Str 12 Dex 16 Con 16 Int 16 Wis 13 Cha 12

I’m assuming you can be a Warforged (or anything else) BS outside of Forgotten Realms.

You’ll have the versatility of Wizard spells which your party will appreciate, while also being able to mix it up in melee with Shadow Blade, which should fit the theme of the world nicely (psychic damage non-metal Weapon).

Eldariel
2020-09-29, 11:07 AM
Nothing screams "Eberron" like a Warforged Artificer. And the party could really use a caster. Granted, Cleric, Bard, Druid, Wizard, and Sorcerer [Divine Soul] would likely all be better fits but this'd work quite well as well, giving the party the Int-caster it's missing and supplementing the overfilled frontline a bit more.

On the other hand, a Mark of Healing Halfling Wizard (any specialization really) would be incredibly useful for the party, quite powerful, and decidedly Eberron too. It would be the omnisupport the party is currently missing (though, granted, it's a suboptimal stat combination but that isn't really all that important as Wizards are still amazing and you don't really need the feats even though they of course do make you stronger) giving it the Wizardly multipurpose magic and the recovery magic in a pinch too, complete with Arcane Recovery to keep your juices flowing (since you can't expect much help from your allies).

EDIT: One important advantage too is that with that sweet double-16 you don't need the racial bonuses to Int that much; only a +2 race would give you a meaningful advantage meaning you can easily afford to pick up goodies elsewhere. 16/16/16 Dex/Con/Int and you're as good as the best guy on the field with an above-average Wisdom and Charisma (great for Magic Jar down the line as well as any skill monkeying you might want to engage in and Infernal Calling and such) to boot. Overall a really sweet deal. 18 Dex as a Halfling is even better and then you get Lucky which goes great with Diviner and perhaps the Lucky feat for a true dice manipulation paradise. And by gods an 18 Dex Wizard will be a beast with Crossbow and at Initiative, Stealth, etc. Add to that your good passive perception, your amazing familiar bonuses and such and you're just great.

CTurbo
2020-09-29, 12:51 PM
It would be really tempting to play a Monk with those stats. You could be a Kalashtar Monk and start 17 Dex, 16 Con, 17 Wis and have 18 Dex/Wis at level 4. A Warforged Monk would be fun too.

My other suggestion would be Cleric as it would fit the party better. My first choice would be Tempest. You could start with 18 Wis at level 1 with Kalashtar and either max Wis at level 4 or take Warcaster. Hill Dwarf is always great. I've always wanted to play a Warforged Forge Cleric. I think that would be a lot of fun. The Envoy Warforged can integrate the Smith's tools into it's body. Your AC would be crazy high too.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-09-29, 01:16 PM
Warforged, Bard with a single level of Cleric. The class you take at 1st level depends entirely on whether you want to be proficient in Dex or Wis saves. Pick either Life or Forge domain, and probably College of Lore.

Str 16, Dex 12, Con 18, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 16

Use a custom background and start with proficiency in athletics, perception, investigation, and thieves tools. Put your expertise toward perception and athletics.

Your Bard 4 ASI is Shield Master. You want to grapple and shove prone the most dangerous opponent every encounter, then either cast verbal-component-only spells (Vicious Mockery, Dissonant Whispers, Command, Healing Word, etc.) or kick him while he's down and shove someone else. Keep in mind you can drag someone around who you have grappled, and while grappled they can't stand up as their speed is zero.

If you go with Life Cleric, your Bard 6 magical secrets should include Aura of Vitality. Dragon's Breath is a decent choice as you can cast that and breathe, then go grapple+shove someone, then breathe every round after that with your action while you've got them grappled. If you get War Caster you can cast spells while you have someone grappled if it has a material component, but that will further delay boosting your Cha/Str.

Mark of Warding Dwarf, Abjuration Wizard. That dwarf gets an Int bonus and a few free abjurations you can cast each day, including Mage Armor. It also adds Armor of Agathys to your Wizard class spell list, which your Abjurer damage shield goes on top of making it last a lot longer.

Str 12, Dex 16, Con 18, Int 17, Wis 13, Cha 12 (the 12's and 13 can be moved around as preferred)

Your first ASI should increase Int and Con, your next two put Int to 20 and get Resilient: Con in whichever order you prefer.

da newt
2020-09-29, 01:17 PM
This party needs a full caster. Your stats are great and there are many cool things you can do with them, but this group needs a real full caster who can alter reality, control and AoE. Warforged are fun, your back story is cool - you could make a high AC cleric, a really strange Druid, etc, but I'd go Fighter 1 (FS, con saves and armor), WIZ X to capitalize on your race and best fill the gap in your party.

Vogie
2020-09-29, 03:45 PM
The rest of the party is
a halfling paladin
a dragonborn barbarian
a human hexblade (Tome).
Level 6.

I'd do full Warforged War Wizard, played like IG-88, or IG-11 from the Mandalorian. Initial stats would be 12/16/15\/17/16/12, giving you an AC of 17 with mage armor. You're perceptive, unsleeping, and powerful. Or, if multiclassing is allowed, Artificer 1/War Wizard 5 - gets you Proficiency in CON saves without messing up spell slot progression.

If you feel like the party needs more healing, but still needs control, you could bump that over to Alchemist artificer 3/ War Wizard 3+ for access to healing word and the occasional free healing potion that scales on your Int. You could also start Artificer 1/War Wizard 5, then pick up more levels of artificer if the party needs it.