PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Evil AF Black dragon - quests

HoboKnight
2020-09-28, 05:18 AM
Heyya guys,

so, I had a similar thread not long ago and I have derived the things I wanted from it, but I'd appreciate some adittional ideas now that I have a clearer picture.

Disclaimer: I'm playing with a mature crew, capable of handling this. They love it. (also hate it really passionately)

What is this about:

PCs were sent as spies to spy upon a really powerful Black Dragon in a massive marsh by joining her minions. She is a nasty piece of work - something between Dolores Umbridge and Ramsay Bolton. She has a kobold tribe under her rule as well as a lizardfolk tribe, two giants (fomorians) and two powerful kobold casters. She also "rules" all bandits in a swamp - sort of tolerates them. Spending her twilight (before perhaps changing to dracolich), she likes to torture and torment the region. She really hates elves. In her den (a massive lake), she also has a large cage with elves, who she has drained for their stomach acid - she really likes it, drinks it as wine. Her "pickling" prison is another one - victiom slowly rotting in her imprisonment. Third of her "fun places" is "the village". She keeps there families and has family members pitted one against the other in cruelest of ways.

Two of the PCs entering her "service" were elves. Well, still are, but she had them cut off the tips of their ears in order not to offend her. This placed her on top of PCs kill list (they are currently lvl 1).

The quests:

Before entrusting her new minions with any serious quests, she intends to send them on a few rather meaningless/less important ones (but they need to be FUN for her). She is also in a posession of a Orb of Scrying. Having in posession parts of PCs, she can rather reliably spy upon them, so it is expected, she will Scry them day and night. A nasty presence, to say the least. Now, the quests. Quests need to be cruel, very along "show don't tell method".

So far I have one, it's really simple: "Go to the village, fetch me my tribute". In this village resides not-Grima Wormtongue (from Lotr) who oversees "the cattle". Every few years he picks out the prettiest village child to be sacrificed to the dragon. The tribute is mostly sent to the pickle pit for dragon's entertainment. PCs just need to make the delivery. I can say I'm pretty good with roleplaying, so I'll have a boy and his mother try to run away and PCs needing to hunt them down and bring them to the dragon. A heavy, dark quest, if roleplayed by the DM properly.

I'm looking for two more. Morally tough things, really tough. No gray choices, just dark and black ones. People suffering. Creature suffering. I was thinking perhaps of them buying or stealing a cute pseudodragon(travelling with some other adventuring group), Black one has scryed upon and wants it for no other reason to tear its wings off like from a fly.

Quests with very little reason (like Bolton's hunting of poor folks), but A LOT of suffering for those involved ones.

thank you

PS: I think I made a decent BBEG first time in my DM-ing history. I really expect the player to go full genocide on Black and her minions, when they get enough levels.