PDA

View Full Version : Tree running sniper

tomjon
2020-09-29, 01:09 AM
Looking to make wood elf sniper. The goal is to make a very fast mobile sniper. One that can stay in the trees and move about hidden. Ideally a sniper that never needs to touch the ground. Was thinking monk/rouge however, there is not much in the way of monk builds.

I would like to use the monk abilities to run and jump from tree to tree in the treetops. If you can run up a wall across a tree branch should not be a big deal. As a side would you let a monk use the water walking ability to transverse across thin branches?

Any advice would be great. Standard point built, players handbook and one other book are the rules for creation. Starting level 5 going to mid to late teens.

Thanks again

Chugger
2020-09-29, 01:27 AM
Ask your DM if it would work. What if there are no trees?

Horizon Walker gets Misty Step - use that to go to another tree. And it's good in other terrains, too.

NecessaryWeevil
2020-09-29, 01:28 AM
Is the race critical to the concept? I feel like Tabaxi would work well.

tomjon
2020-09-29, 01:45 AM
Race only maters for two things. It’s in the players handbook so it dose not dictate the only other book I can use. And finally many of the sub-race features work well with the concept. Plus one to wisdom, extra movement, elf weapon and mask of the wild.

So it’s not a hard rule but it’s a tough sell on something else.

Aussiehams
2020-09-29, 02:06 AM
I would want to check how your DM rules on athletics/acrobatics before planning this. Athletics should help you climb the trees, and acrobatics jump from branch to branch, but that is a bit MAD, especially if you want to go Monk.
And wood elf seems like a good fit.

MrStabby
2020-09-29, 02:49 AM
What levels are you playing at?

Shadowmonk can be good for this. Sharpshooter feat and shadowstep between the branches. At level 7 you can switch to ranger for the archery fighting style and some other nice things.

tomjon
2020-09-29, 03:01 AM
Starting 5 going to 14-17

Vogie
2020-09-29, 01:15 PM
Starting at 5, going to 17, and you want to jump around between things?

I'd start with Horizon walker Ranger 3/ Monk 2. You have unarmored defense, an extra 10 ft of movement speed, and 2 uses of Step to the Wind per rest, which doubles your jump distance. If you're allowed to use the UA Class feature variants, you can even use Ki to remove long-range disadvantage.

I'd probably take Horizon Walker Ranger (HWR) to 11, so you can Teleport between shots, and gives you a third attack every round as long as there are multiple targets

After that (Level 13) it's up to you.

More ranger levels equal more spells and spell slots. Downside is they're ranger spells. And features.
Going into shadow monk gives you different spells and uses for ki, capping out at shadow teleportation (HWR 11/SM 6)
Adding Rogue levels will boost your damage output. You'd likely go Thief for climb speed, Assassin for that drop, or Scout for Reactionary movement (for all those times you aren't in trees). Sadly, Inquisitive is a nonbo with HWR.
Fighter is always an option. Battlemaster, specifically, so you can snipe the target's weapons out of their hands, or have your shots also knock them prone. However, Anything after that'd be the 2 ASIs at fighter 4 and fighter 6

Master O'Laughs
2020-09-29, 02:36 PM
Kensai Monk would allow the use of a long bow with your monk abilities.

Nhorianscum
2020-09-29, 03:51 PM
Looking to make wood elf sniper. The goal is to make a very fast mobile sniper. One that can stay in the trees and move about hidden. Ideally a sniper that never needs to touch the ground. Was thinking monk/rouge however, there is not much in the way of monk builds.

I would like to use the monk abilities to run and jump from tree to tree in the treetops. If you can run up a wall across a tree branch should not be a big deal. As a side would you let a monk use the water walking ability to transverse across thin branches?

Any advice would be great. Standard point built, players handbook and one other book are the rules for creation. Starting level 5 going to mid to late teens.

Thanks again

Straight up thief rouge can just do this really easily.

Just put expertise in athletics and acrobatics.