PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Warlock Patron: Crown (PEACH)

Stattick
2020-09-29, 07:43 AM
Crown Patron
Your patron is the embodiment of a nation, land, or people. Over the centuries, people's belief in their own myths and stories can empower cultural relics and give rise to entities that are the embodiment of a national or cultural spirit. These spirits sometimes empower Warlocks in times of great need, for instance, in times of invasion, strife, or to fight a tyrant who is undeserving of the crown. Visions or communications from this entity often take the form of the people's greatest heroes, or their symbols, talking to or commanding the warlock.

Expanded Spell List
1st: Heroism, Compelled Duel
2nd: Calm emotions, Zone of Truth
3rd: Beacon of Hope, Bestow Curse
4th: Divination, Find Greater Steed
5th: Geas, Insect Plague

1st Level
Bonus Cantrip
At 1st level, you learn the thaumaturgy cantrip. It counts as a warlock cantrip for you, but it doesn't count against your number of cantrips known.

Bonus Proficiencies
At 1st level, you become proficient with medium armor and martial weapons.

Standard Bearer
Starting at 1st level, your patron grants you a nearly indestructible shield, symbolic of the people your patron protects. The shield counts as magical, both for the purpose of resisting attacks, and if used as a weapon, for overcoming resistance and immunity to nonmagical attacks and damage. You are proficient with the shield while using it as a shield.

You can dismiss the shield at will (no action required), shunting it to an extradimensional space. Your shield disappears if it is more than 5 feet away from you for 1 minute or more, or if you die. You can make the shield reappear on your arm or in your hand with a bonus action.

The shield can function as an arcane focus for your Warlock spells.

6th Level
Burning Patriotism
You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed, frightened, or possessed. If you succeed on a saving throw against one of these effects, you may choose to reflect the attack back at the attacker, inflicting psychic damage equal to your warlock level + your Wisdom modifier (minimum of 1 hit point).

10th Level
Unbreakable
You have advantage on death saving throws. When you roll a success on a death saving throw, you gain hit points equal to your warlock level + your Constitution modifier (minimum of 1 hit point). You may then stand, if you choose, without expending any of your movement.

14th Level
Living Legend
You can empower yourself with the legends of your people. As a bonus action, you gain the following benefits for 1 minute:

You are blessed with an otherworldly presence, gaining advantage on all Charisma checks.
Once on each of your turns when you make a weapon attack and miss, you can cause that attack to hit instead.
If you fail a saving throw, you can use your reaction to reroll it. You must use this new roll.
Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest, unless you expend an Arcanum spell to use it again.

------------------

This is the first subclass I've created for 5e. My intuition says that it might be a little overpowered, and might need to be scaled back a little. I'm also not terribly happy with the name, and will try to think of something better. I wasn't trying to create a "Better Hexblade", instead I was trying to create an archetype powered by the spirit of a nation, region, culture, or people - to create characters like Captain America, Captain Britain, Joan of Arc, and so forth. Nevertheless, I think I made a better Hexblade.

I'm not entirely sure about the spells I picked either...

Anyway, let me know what you think.