PDA

View Full Version : Optimisation for "the 8 int wizard"

Trandir
2020-09-29, 08:28 AM
Fist a little explanation about "the 8 int wizard". That includes any caster with full 1 through 9 spell slot progression that dumps the spellcasting ability score so: bard, sorcerer, cleric, druid and wizard

The ability score array I got is 17, 16, 14, 12, 10, 10 so even if I'd dump the spellcasting ability it would be just a 10. Still that should get the feeling of this. So what is the fullcaster that would suffer less from this foolish decision? And any additional advice to make this experiment not that terrible?

Sidenote we begin at 3rd level.

Edit:

What should I play?

So we are in a homebrew setting with every manual legal. We rolled for stats and my array is: 17, 16, 14, 12, 10, 10

The rest of the party will be:
A barbarian
A sorcerer
A monk
A paladin

So I can basically play anything I want. And I can't for the love of me choose anything in particular to play. So any advice for something to play?

elyktsorb
2020-09-29, 08:33 AM
In instances like these, I tend to do weird multiclass options I wouldn't have the opportunity to see how well they play if I rolled a character with low stats or I was playing a more important role. That being said between those four classes your definitely lacking someone in the skills department.

Aett_Thorn
2020-09-29, 08:36 AM
How lethal is your DM usually? By that I mean, will the Paladin be able to mostly keep up with any healing that you need? If not, maybe going that route would work.

Alternatively, going ranged-based Rogue might be nice here. You're lacking a skill-monkey character, and have two Cha-based characters already (so Bard may be a bit redundant). The Barbarian and Monk will likely be in melee with enemies, allowing you plenty of opportunity for Sneak Attacks. Going Forest/Deep Gnome or High Elf would allow you to start off with 18 Dex and 18 Int, which is nice for knowledge based-checks and stealthing.

diplomancer
2020-09-29, 09:05 AM
A Hill-Dwarf Druid. Probably Circle of the Shepherd, but Land could work well.

KorvinStarmast
2020-09-29, 09:15 AM
Seems a fine opportunity for Knowledge Cleric.
17, 16, 14, 12, 10, 10
I'd go hill dwarf or vHuman, but Wood Elf also works.
Wood Elf
s 12 d 18 c 16 i 10 w 18 ch 10
Dwarf
S 14 D 12 C 18 I 10 W 18 ch 10
vHuman
S 12 D 16 C 14 (+1 pt ASI, +1 Res Con) I 10 W 18 Ch 10
Feat = Res Con.

The knowledge cleric can cover the skill monkey role well once the channel divinity feature unlocks.
Is a divine caster - which means that if your party finds cleric scrolls your party can use them - and cleric can turn undead - an underappreciated feature sometimes.

Knowledge has some other neat features, and clerics are flexible. Some buff, some debuff, and SG if you want to wade into a crowd.

Trickery Cleric or Arcarna Cleric also good choices and a good fit for this team.

But honestly, with those rolls, you could do any PC race and have a nice cleric.
Why not have a Silver Dragonborn Knowledge cleric? :smallbiggrin:

Trandir
2020-09-29, 10:02 AM
Well I made my choice and it's going ti be fun. Not sure about the result but it will be fun

KorvinStarmast
2020-09-29, 10:07 AM
Fist a little explanation about "the 8 int wizard". That includes any caster with full 1 through 9 spell slot progression that dumps the spellcasting ability score so: bard, sorcerer, cleric, druid and wizard

The ability score array I got is 17, 16, 14, 12, 10, 10 so even if I'd dump the spellcasting ability it would be just a 10. Still that should get the feeling of this. So what is the fullcaster that would suffer less from this foolish decision? And any additional advice to make this experiment not that terrible?

Sidenote we begin at 3rd level. OOh, I did not see your mod.

Moon Druid. VHuman.
S 10 D 16 Con 17 (+1 Res Con= 18) Int 12 W 10 Ch 14

When you talk to animals, your higher Cha with help.
Mostly support spells and healing spells.
Also get all animalistic.

Abilities need to include nature and animal handling and survival

Or be a blessbot. Cleric, pick a domain.

Trandir
2020-09-29, 10:15 AM
VHuman.
S 10 D 16 Con 17 (+1 Res Con= 18) Int 12 W 10 Ch 14

Wait a minute. This VHuman has no racial bonuses to ability scores.

And thanks for the advice.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-09-29, 10:18 AM
I've played a deep gnome abjuration wizard with high dex and the charlatan background. So he's basically got the rogue skills without expertise but he's a wizard, and he uses weapon attack cantrips with a dagger when needed.

KorvinStarmast
2020-09-29, 10:40 AM
Wait a minute. This VHuman has no racial bonuses to ability scores.

And thanks for the advice.
Whoops, pick a +1 wherever you want to, I'd suggest +1 Str and +1 Dex incase you want to take a half feat with either one later.
S 11 D 17 Con 17 (+1 Res Con= 18) Int 12 W 10 Ch 14

Trandir
2020-09-29, 01:05 PM
Well I have reduced the possibilities to:

Diviner Wizard
Forge Cleric
Moon druid

And my resolve to do this is dwindling so I am once again opened to suggestions for better things to play

Chugger
2020-09-29, 01:50 PM
You could possibly make an 8 int wizard work if you went blade song.

Moon druid can work with horrible stats.

Some said to MC, but I think to MC you have to qualify for _both_ classes, so if int is under 13 and you pick wiz, you can't MC anything.

Why do this? It's sounding like you wouldn't have any fun. Are you stuck w/ these stats?

Trandir
2020-09-29, 01:54 PM
You could possibly make an 8 int wizard work if you went blade song.

Moon druid can work with horrible stats.

Some said to MC, but I think to MC you have to qualify for _both_ classes, so if int is under 13 and you pick wiz, you can't MC anything.

Why do this? It's sounding like you wouldn't have any fun. Are you stuck w/ these stats?

The OP details more or less the situation. I consider my stats to be decently above average and I would do this by my own free will.