PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Stronger Feats

Yakk
2020-09-29, 01:04 PM
A feat is a big thing in 5e. If you aren't a variant human, you get 1 at level 4, and level 1 to 7 is a huge part of a D&D character's experience.

So my goal is that a feat must (a) be tempting to take, mechanically, instead of a +2 bonus to your main attack/DC/feature stat at level 4, and (b) thematically be hefty enough to build a character around.

My standard of a good feat is crossbow expert. This is one of the strongest feats in the base game, and can be a better choice than +2 to your attack stat at level 4. One that falls a bit short is sharp shooter; if you do the math, it is often worse than a +2 to your attack stat at level 4.

So, the goal here is to provide a set of feats that are all at the (RAW) crossbow expert level of power, tempting to all kinds of PCs. It includes a modified Crossbow Expert.

Heavy Armor Master
Prerequisite: Proficient with heavy armor
You can use your armor to deflect strikes that would kill others. You gain the following benefits:
• Increase your Strength by 1, to a maximum of 20.
• When wearing heavy armor, bludgeoning, slashing and piercing damage you take from non-magical weapons is reduced by your proficiency bonus. If your heavy armor is magical, this also applies to bludgeoning slashing or piercing damage from magical weapons.

Design notes
This is now weaker at level 1-3, but stronger at higher levels. It used to be crazy strong at low levels and nearly obsolete later on.

Polearm Master
You gain the following benefits:
• If the only weapon you are holding is a glaive, halberd, quarterstaff, or spear, you can use a bonus action to make a melee attack with the blunt end of the weapon. The weapon's damage die for this attack is a d4 (or d6 if you are using the weapon two-handed), and it deals bludgeoning damage.
• While you are wielding a glaive, halberd, pike, quarterstaff, or spear, other creatures provoke an opportunity attack from you when they enter the reach you have with that weapon; any opportunity attack must be made with that weapon. If the weapon you make the opportunity attack with is a pike, you gain advantage on the opportunity attack.

Design notes
I changed two weapon fighting rules; this is a patch to prevent a double-quarterstaff exploit. The bonus action economy is simplified; chaining bonus actions off main action is more cumbersome than it is worth in my experience. I also buffed the pike a tad, as it doesn’t give the first benefit. I also granted an extra point of damage for two-handed PAM users; the one-handed PAM technique was too close to the two-handed version for my tastes pre-GWM.

Shield Master
You use shields not just for protection but also for offense. You gain the following benefits while you are wielding a shield:
• You can use a bonus action to try to shove a creature within 5 feet of you with your shield. If the creature is 2 sizes larger than you, you can attempt it, but you are at disadvantage.
• If you aren't incapacitated, you can add your shield's AC bonus to any Dexterity saving throw you make.
• If you succeed at a Dexterity saving throw and take half damage from a spell or effect, you can expend your reaction to instead take no damage, interposing your shield between yourself and the source of the effect.

Design notes
The strange restricted condition on reflex save bonus is more trouble than it is worth; and I am ok with someone using a shield to protect themselves from a fireball. And without shove-before-attack, SM is worse at shoving than TWF characters are. Which seems wrong. I reworded point 3. I added "can shove 2 sizes larger" with disadvantage; at least you have a chance to knock something over.

Crossbow Expert
Thanks to extensive practice with the crossbow, you gain the following benefits:
• You ignore the loading quality of crossbows with which you are proficient.
• Being within 5 feet of a hostile creature doesn’t impose disadvantage on your ranged attack rolls with a one handed weapon.
• You can use a bonus action to attack with a hand crossbow.
• If you haven’t moved on your turn, you can use a bonus action to make an attack with a crossbow. If you do so, this attack does not add dexterity to damage, and your movement speed is reduced to 0’.

Design notes
I took the de-facto case of a hand crossbow build and left it alone. I restricted “you can make ranged attacks at melee” to hand crossbows mostly. And I granted a bonus action attack with other crossbows at the cost of movement.
This makes non-hand-crossbow builds viable again.

Archer
The blood of the bowman or woman flows in your veins.
• As a bonus action you can end your turn and take aim on a target you can see. On your next turn, you gain advantage on all ranged weapon attack rolls on that target, and if 2 of the dice rolled to make the attack have the same value, your attack becomes a critical hit.
• If you attack a creature within 5 feet of you with a ranged weapon, you can combine your movement out of range with an attack. Make the attack roll without disadvantage from being within 5’; if it hits, the combined movement and attack does not provoke an opportunity attack from that target. A miss, however, provokes an opportunity attack from the target.
• Shortbows deal 1d8 damage in your hands, and longbows deal 1d10 damage.
• When you deal damage with a longbow or shortbow, you can add both your strength and dexterity damage to the roll instead of just dexterity.

Design notes
This is an attempt to prevent Crossbows from dominating Longbows. Your damage dice match, you have a useful thing to do with your bonus action, and you can “legolas” close-ranged shot to get out of threat.
Adding strength to damage both fits what archers need (the strength to pull back a stronger bow) and helps this keep up with crossbow expert’s additional taps.

Sharpshooter
You have mastered ranged weapons and can make shots that others find impossible.
• Attacking at long range doesn't impose disadvantage on your ranged weapon attack rolls.
• Your ranged weapons ignore half cover and three-quarters cover.
• Before you make a ranged attack with a ranged weapon, you can choose to sacrifice your proficiency bonus to hit. If the attack hits, you add twice your proficiency bonus to the attack’s damage.

Design notes
Replacing -5/+10 with -prof/+2*prof makes this a better feat at low levels. Note that if you aren't proficient, twice your proficiency bonus is 0.

Great Weapon Master
You’ve learned to put the weight of a weapon to your advantage, letting its momentum empower your strikes. You gain the following benefits:
• On your turn, when you score a critical hit with a melee weapon or reduce a creature to 0 hit points with one, you can make one melee weapon attack as a bonus action.
• Before you make a melee attack with a heavy or versatile weapon held in two hands you can choose to sacrifice your proficiency bonus to hit. If the attack hits, you add twice your proficiency bonus to the attack’s damage.

Design notes
I’ve replaced -5/+10 with “-prof / +2*prof” everywhere. There are a few other ways to get it as well (Barbarian, Tavern Brawler). The fact you are sacrificing your proficiency bonus makes it clear you can only do it once, even if more than one applies. GWM applying to versatile weapons both helps small PCs and makes Versatile more useful.

Dual Wielder
You master fighting with two weapons, gaining the following benefits:
• You gain a +1 bonus to AC while you are wielding a separate melee weapon in each hand.
• You can use two-weapon fighting even when the one handed melee weapons you are wielding aren’t light, and you add your attribute bonus to damage on any attack granted by it.
• As part of the attack action, if you make an attack with advantage with a weapon held in one hand, you may use one lower attack roll to attack with a weapon held in the other hand.

Design notes
This gets the +attribute to offhand damage instead of the two weapon fighting style (which was eliminated; duelist in my rules works with any one-handed weapon); a minor benefit, but makes mass-rolling of to-hit rolls faster. Point 3 means you can do serious damage with advantage, rivaling GWF/SS builds.

Athlete
You have undergone extensive physical training to gain the following benefits:
• Increase your Strength and Dexterity score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
• When you are prone, standing up uses only 5 feet of your movement.
• Climbing doesn’t cost you extra movement.
• You can make a running long jump or a running high jump after moving only 5 feet on foot, rather than 10 feet.
• You add ½ of your proficiency bonus to Strength, Dexterity and Constitution saves if you do not add proficiency already. If you already add proficiency, you add 1.

Design notes
A half-save and double-strength-dex bonus is intended to make this better. I think this still is weak. I could try fusing it with charger.

Weapon Master
You have practiced extensively with a variety of weapons, gaining the following benefits:
• Increase your Strength and Dexterity score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
• You gain proficiency with all martial and simple weapons.
• You gain a Fighting Style from the Fighter list.

Design notes
Str/Dex has horrible synergy. If you want both, you can take these feats and get extra benefits.

I put the "fighting style" in here. This (together with the OA maneuver combat style) obsoletes the feat that grants a BM maneuver.

Brawler
Accustomed to rough-and-tumble fighting using whatever weapons happen to be at hand, you gain the following benefits:
• Increase your Strength or Constitution by 1, to a maximum of 20.
• You are proficient with all improvised weapons.
• Your unarmed strike uses a d6 for damage. Suitably large improvised weapons deal 1d8 damage in two hands.
• When you hit a creature with an unarmed strike or improvised weapon on your turn, you can use a bonus action to attempt to Grapple the target.
• You have advantage on Attack rolls against a creature you are Grappling.
• If you have a creature Grappled, you can make an unarmed or improvised weapon attack on them as a bonus action.
• You can use your action to try to pin a creature Grappled by you. To do so, make another grapple check. If you succeed, the creature becomes Restrained until the grapple ends.

Design notes
This combines Tavern Brawler and Grappler into one feat with some additional benefits and upgrades. It is probably getting a bit complex, but I think it might be strong enough at this point to be tempting. Also, self-restraint is gone: restraint is only slightly better than grapple and knock prone, which you could already do without self-restraint.

Charger
You aggressively rush at enemies in combat.
• You gain a +1 bonus to Constitution.
• You can use a bonus action to move up to your speed towards an enemy. If you end this movement at least 20’ from where you started, you gain advantage on melee attacks and shove attempts until the end of your turn.
Design notes
By stealing the orc ability and boosting it, it works much better than the baseline charger. You are no longer giving up Extra Attack to use this.

Dungeon Delver
Alert to the hidden traps and secret doors found in many dungeons, you gain the following benefits:
• Your passive Perception and Investigation increases by 5.
• You have advantage on active Wisdom (Perception) and Intelligence (Investigation) checks made to detect the presence of secret doors and traps.
• You have advantage on saving throws made to avoid or resist traps.
• Attack on you while you are surprised or made by traps have disadvantage.
• You have resistance to the damage dealt by traps.
• You can search for traps while traveling at a normal pace, instead of only at a slow pace.
• You have blindsight 5’.
Design Notes
A bit of a grab bag. Not certain if attractive enough still.

Polymath Savant
Your brain is a finely tuned tool.
• Increase your Intelligence by 1, to a maximum of 20.
• You learn three languages of your choice.
• When you make an Intelligence check or saving throw you do not otherwise add your proficiency to, you can add ½ of your proficiency bonus. If you already add your proficiency to an intelligence saving throw, add an additional +1.
• You can attempt to cast spells from spell scrolls for spells not on any of your class spell lists. When you do so, make an intelligence check against a DC of 10+the level of the spell. On a failure the scroll is destroyed.
• You always know which way is north.
• You always know how the number of hours left before the next sunrise or sunset.
• You can accurately recall anything you have seen or heard within the past month.

Design notes
This replaces Linguist and Keen Mind and adds reading spell scrolls. You can create a fun academic with this, even if you aren't a spellcaster.

The next set of feats replace Elemental Adept.

Design Notes
They are all intended to let you make a single-element PC and not feel gimped when you run into creatures immune to that damage type. They are all flavorful. Many contain defensive benefits.

The similar feature among all of them is that you can treat 1s as maximum amounts on a die. This boosts 1d6's average of 3.5 by 5/6 (0.83) instead of the baseline 1/6 (0.17), or 23% damage increase instead of a 5% damage increase.

Instead of the common "you treat immunity as resistance" (which I did use way down below, but not here), I let you split elemental damage with another element type. The combo feats (thunder+lighting, acid+poison) split with each other. Fire splits with necrotic (I blame Dresden files) and ice splits with movement speed reduction.

I found elemental adept thematically lacking and mechanically it didn't deliver.

Hellfire Adept
You have adapted your fire magic to use the power of the hells.
• Spells you cast ignore resistance to fire. In addition, when you roll damage for a spell you cast that deals fire damage, you can treat any 1 on a damage die as the maximum value on the die
• You can choose to make your Fire damage spells deal ½ of its damage as necrotic. If you do so, you gain temporary HP equal to the necrotic damage done that lasts for 1 minute. (Remember, temporary HP does not stack)
• If you deal Fire damage with a spell and have temporary HP, you can sacrifice the temporary HP to deal ½ of the sacrificed HP as additional damage to one target.

Design notes
Necrotic damage helps you get through fire immunity. The temporary HP cascade gives you bonus damage.

A hellfire fireball (34 damage) gives 17 temp HP, which gives you +8 damage next turn on one target.

Storm Adept
You have become one with the storm.
• Spells you cast ignore resistance to lightning and thunder. In addition, when you roll damage for a spell you cast that deals lightning or thunder damage, you can treat any 1 on a damage die as the maximum value on the die
• You can choose to make your Lighting damage spells deal ½ of its damage as Thunder, or your Thunder damage spells deal ½ of their damage as Lightning. If you add thunder damage with this, it adds a loud boom to the spell effect.
• When you deal Thunder damage, you can push an enemy 1 foot for every point of damage you do (Half this for Large and Huge creatures, divide by 5 for for Gargantuan); if the push is less than 5 feet, the creature is not pushed.
• Creatures who fail saves against your Lighting damage spells cannot perform reactions until the end of your next turn.

Design notes
I combined lightning and thunder into one thematic package. You can split damage between them to help get through immunities. Thunder has a push rider (that works poorly on bigger things) and lighting has the shocking grasp rider. Bzzap. You get both riders if your split your damage -- so your L 3 lightning bolt (34 average damage) can knock medium creatures an average of 17 feet (8 on a save), large and huge 8 (none on a save) and doesn't move bigger creatures.

Frozen Heart Adept
You have embedded a shard of primal ice in your heart.
• Spells you cast ignore resistance to cold. In addition, when you roll damage for a spell you cast that deals cold damage, you can treat any 1 on a damage die as the maximum value on the die.
• You have immunity to cold and resistance to fire damage.
• If a creature you can see takes cold or fire damage, as a reaction you can prevent the damage. You gain temporary HP equal to ½ the damage prevented that lasts for 1 minute. This applies before resistance or immunity.
• When you deal cold damage with a spell, you can choose to sacrifice ½ of the damage and reduce the creature’s movement speed 1 foot for every point of damage you sacrifice by imprisoning them in ice until the end of your next turn. The amount of speed reduction is calculated before any resistance or immunity is calculated. A creature can sacrifice an attack to make a strength saving throw against your spell casting DC to break the encasing ice.

Design Notes
Sometimes you have to just let it go. This one lets you convert 1/2 of your cold damage to movement reduction. As this isn't kill stuff dead, it also contains some anti fire and ice defensive abilities.

Cold immunity and fire resistance are a solid defensive boost. The reaction nullification is quite strong, but it is once per turn on one target; you can use it to protect allies from your spells, or defend your allies against a cold or fire monster. Finally, you get to freeze people in place. The cost to break free is 1 attack not 1 action, as I find "you must use an action" tends to shut down legendary monsters too much; by making it an attack, they can break free with legendary actions.

Alchemical Adept
You have used alchemical techniques to etch your very soul.
• Spells you cast ignore resistance to poison and acid, and when you roll damage for a spell that deals poison or acid damage, you can treat a 1 on a damage die as the maximum value on that die.
• You can choose to make your Acid damage spells deal ½ of their damage as Poison, or your Poison damage spells deal ½ of their damage as Acid.
• You gain proficiency in the alchemist tool kit, and if when you add your proficiency bonus with the alchemist’s kit you instead add twice your proficiency bonus.
• You have advantage on spell attack rolls on creatures you have dealt poison or acid damage to since the start of your last turn, and they have disadvantage on saves against taking acid or poison damage or the poisoned condition from your spells.

Design notes
This combines poison and acid damage into one (there was no poison elemental adept). The alchemical theme means granting alchemist toolkit expertise was a no-brainer. The corrosive nature generates an advantage mechanic; the save-for-half damage counts. Being able to split poison/acid helps you get through immunity.

Basic Armor Training
You have trained to master the use of light and medium armor, gaining the following benefits:
• Increase your Strength and Dexterity by 1, to a maximum of 20.
• You become proficient with light and medium armor and shields.

Design notes
Str/Dex doesn’t get huge synergy in 5e D&D. So giving both is a minor bonus. This feat grants both light and medium armor and shield training, and shields have been improved in other rules. The defensive boost from this feels hefty enough to be character-defining.

Medium Armor Master
Prerequisite: Proficient with medium armor
You have practiced moving in medium armor to gain the following benefits:
• Wearing medium armor doesn't impose disadvantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks.
• When wearing medium armor, the maximum Dexterity modifier to AC you can apply increases to 4, instead of 2.

Design notes
With this feat, Medium Armor matches the AC of heavy armor (as I give heavy armor 1 more AC after being customized for the character). A high-dex character who wants to be tougher can now take Medium Armor Master and get a significant AC boost from it. This might not be meaty enough still...

Skilled
You have a knack for learning new things. You gain the following benefits:
• You gain two skill proficiencies of your choice, and two tool or language proficiencies of your choice (in any combination).
• Choose one skill and one tool in which you have proficiency. You gain Expertise with that skill and tool, which means your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make with either. The skill and tool you choose must be one that isn’t already benefiting from a feature, such as Expertise, that doubles your proficiency bonus.

Design notes
This replaces and upgrades the prodigy and skilled feats, and gives them to everyone. Prodigy was already strong enough to be picked. Opening it up to everyone, replacing skilled, and giving a tool expertise should be enough to make it character-defining.

Skulker
You are expert at slinking through shadows. You gain the following benefits:
• You gain a +1 bonus to Dexterity
• You can try to hide when you are only lightly obscured from the creature from which you are hiding.
• When you are hidden from a creature and make a ranged weapon attack, the attack doesn't reveal your position.
• You gain darkvision out to 30’, or increase your existing darkvision by 30’.
• Dim light doesn't impose disadvantage on Wisdom (Perception) bonuses made with sight.
• You can remain hidden from a creature who has disadvantage on wisdom(perception) checks due to dim light so long as you don’t move at more than half speed.

Design notes
Ranged attacks no longer reveal you from the darkness. You are now death from the shadows.

You can sneak up in darkness and pepper foes with ranged attacks. The enemy has to beat your stealth check

Method Actor
A genius at mimicry and dramatics, you actually believe yourself when you act.
• Increase your Charisma score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
• You have an advantage on Charisma checks when trying to pass yourself off as a different person or pass off a lie as the truth.
• When making a Charisma ability check or saving throw you aren’t already adding your proficiency bonus to, you may add ½ of your proficiency modifier to the roll. If you already add your proficiency bonus to a Charisma saving roll, add an +1 additional bonus.
• You have advantage on saving throws for spells that attempt to read your thoughts. On a successful save you are aware of the attempt, and can choose to implant whatever false thoughts you want.
• Magic cannot determine if you are lying unless you want it to.
• You can mimic the speech of another person or the sounds made by other creatures. You must have heard the person speaking, or heard the creature make the sound, for at least 1 minute. A successful Wisdom (Insight) check contested by your Charisma (Deception) check allows a listener to determine that the effect is faked.

Design notes
While the original feat “Actor” one was fun, it pales a bit in a magical world. I added some interaction with magic; because you fall into your characters, you are able to lie by believing your own lies.

Dwarven Fortitude
You have the blood of dwarf heroes flowing through your veins. You gain the following benefits:
• Increase your Constitution score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
• Whenever you take the Dodge action in combat, you can spend one Hit Die to heal yourself. Roll the die, add your Constitution modifier, and regain a number of hit points equal to the total (minimum of 1).
• You can take the Dodge action as a bonus action if you have not moved this turn. If you do so, your movement speed is reduced to 0.

Design notes
If you hold your ground, you can burn HD and force disadvantage on attackers every turn.

Spell Sniper
You have learned techniques to enhance your attacks with certain kinds of spells, gaining the following benefits:
• When you cast a spell that requires you to make an attack roll, the spell's range is doubled.
• Your ranged spell attacks ignore half cover and three-quarters cover and gain a +2 bonus on the attack roll.
• You learn one cantrip that requires an attack roll. Choose the cantrip from the bard, cleric, druid, sorcerer, warlock, or wizard spell list. Your spellcasting ability for this cantrip is your choice of Charisma, Wisdom or Intelligence.

Design notes
You gain a +2 bonus to hit, matching the archery combat style, and can pick your spellcasting attribute. There is no -prof/+2*prof damage bonus for spells however.

Master of the Blade
You have mastered bladed weapons (daggers, rapiers, short swords, scimitars, long swords and greatswords).
• When you roll weapon damage with a blade, if any damage dice are even roll 1 additional damage die.
• When you are missed by an attack, you may expend a reaction to make an attack with a one handed weapons or a blade you are wielding. After or before such attacks, you may also move up to ½ of your speed; this could provoke an opportunity attack.

Design notes
This makes the greatsword compete with polearms as a 2 handed weapon, and boosts 1 handed weapon users.

The first is a 50% boost to 1 handed sword weapon damage dice, or 37.5% boost to greatsword.

The second feature is a really nice one that requires you to be attacked and have good AC to exploit fully. It is also very good on rogues (however, my core rules include features that let rogues do this naturally in slightly different circumstances, including the fact that I decoupled bonus action attacks from attack actions, and new class features).

Deadly Axe
You have mastered using axes in combat: the hand axe, battleaxe and greataxe.
• If your attack roll is even, your attacks with an axe deal an extra damage die. (This is doubled on a crit just like other damage dice)
• If you score a critical hit with a weapon, the creature you hit takes an extra set of critical (doubled) weapon damage dice of the same kind of damage at the start of your next turn.
• Your attacks with axes deal double damage to objects.

Design notes
This is also designed to compete with PAM. It is simple, but I think decent. A 50% weapon damage increase, plus a bleed "critical" buff.

Hammer Rhythm
You have mastered using hammers in combat; the warhammer, maul and throwing hammer.
• When you score a critical hit with a weapon, your attacks against the target gain advantage until the end of your next turn.
• When you attack with advantage when using a hammer, if the lower attack roll also hits your weapon damage is increased by 1 damage die.
• If you miss a creature with a hammer, as a bonus action you may make another attack with a hammer on that creature with advantage.

Design notes
Another PAM competition feat. Here the theme is relentless pounding and pounding.

Nimble Dodge
While wearing Light or No Armor, as a reaction when hit by an attack you can make a Dexterity(Acrobatics) check. If your roll exceeds the attackers to-hit roll, the attack misses, and you gain advantage on your next attack on the attacker before the end of your next turn.

Design notes
This is “light armor master” basically.

Spellcasting Focus feats
This is a sequence of feats that give a benefit for using a specific type of spellcasting focus. I permit spellcasting focuses to be used even if the spell has no M component. They are strong, but don't stack because most of their features require you to cast a spell through that focus (and you can't do that through 2 foci at once).

Crystal Magic
Prerequisite: Ability to use Arcane Focuses
During a long or short rest you can imprint your Crystal Arcane Focus with a spell of each level that you know or have prepared, up to level 5. When you cast any of those spell using your Crystal Arcane Focus
• It is treated as 1 slot level higher for the purpose of “at higher level” effects of the spell.
• Roll 1d6 when you cast the spell; if the roll exceeds the level of the slot used, the spell slot is not expended. For each spell slot saved this way, subtract 1 from future rolls of this ability until you complete a long rest.
In addition, you can use Crystal Arcane Focuses on jewelry without holding them in your hands.

Design notes
Casting a selection of spells 1 level higher has some really fun optimization effects. Saving 1 or 2 spell slots per day, but only on your preferred spells, is I think a bit weaker; I chose 1d6 so warlocks can play with that even at higher levels.

Wandslinging
You have mastered the wand.
• When using a Wand as an Arcane Focus to cast a spell using a spell slot that involves a spell attack roll, you may reroll 1 missed spell attack roll.
• When using charges from a wand, roll 1d20 plus your proficiency modifier. If the result is a 10 or higher, you don’t expend the charges.
Design notes
An accuracy boost and a way to more efficiently use charges on a wand rolled together. The first is stronger at low levels, the second at higher, I think.

Orbweaving
When using an Orb as an Arcane focus:
• If you cast an illusion spell using a spell slot that targets at least 1 creature, you can target one additional feature within 10’ of another creature targeted by the spell.
• Creatures have disadvantage on investigation checks on illusion spells you cast.
Design Notes
The first one is extremely powerful. For example, when you cast Blur, you can also Blur an ally.

Rod Master
Spare the rod, spoil the summoned.
• Any creature summoned from a spell that uses a Rod arcane focus has a bonus to their attack damage equal to your Constitution modifier (min 1).
• You have advantage on charisma checks on summoned creatures.
Design notes
This includes familiars.

Staffshielding
After you cast a spell using a staff as an Arcane Focus:
• If the spell uses a spell slot, until the start of your next turn you can expend a reaction in response to being hit or failing a saving throw and gain a bonus to your AC or the saving throw equal to the slot level used.
• As a bonus action, you can strike a surface and create a 10’ radius ward centered on that point that remains until you leave the area. Ranged attacks on creatures within the ward are at disadvantage, and as a reaction you can grant advantage on a saving throw done by a creature within the ward you can see.
Design notes
You shall not pass. You count as a creature you can see, usually.

Idolatry
Prerequisite: Ability to use Holy Symbols.
You gain faith from your Idols.
• Creatures targeted by a spell that uses your Holy Symbol as a Focus cannot gain advantage on attacks against you until the end of your next turn.
• When you score a critical hit on an attack that deals radiant or necrotic damage, you gain temporary HP equal to the radiant or necrotic damage done that lasts until the end of your next turn.
• When using a Holy Symbol as a Focus, your spells ignore resistance to radiant and necrotic damage. Immunity, instead of preventing all radiant or necrotic damage, instead halves the damage.

Design notes
This is a bit of "Elemental Adept" for radiant/necrotic. Note that there are minor synergies with both Hellfire Adept and Smites. I'm ok with radiant/necrotic damage "plowing through" immunity here, I don't know why that feels better than doing the same with fire/cold/etc.