PDA

View Full Version : Worse Than the Disease OOC

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Shoot Da Moon
2020-09-29, 04:49 PM
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/36/National-atlas-vermont.png

Alright, campaign started.
Any OOC text in the IC should be in italics.

IC thread; https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?619696-Worse-Than-the-Disease-IC
Dice Rolls thread; https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?619697-Worse-Than-the-Disease-DICE-ROLLS

Everyone make their introductory post, please.

Yuki Akuma
2020-09-29, 05:47 PM
Woo!

Let's go die in the wilderness. :smallbiggrin:

u-b
2020-09-30, 11:08 AM
It seems there is not much of wilderness around, with lots of features within a few hundred meters.

Also, can we have this thread renamed to "Worse Than the Disease OOC" for it to be like IC and dice threads?

Shoot Da Moon
2020-09-30, 11:48 AM
Also, can we have this thread renamed to "Worse Than the Disease OOC" for it to be like IC and dice threads?

You are right that title would a better, but I don't think you can change thread titles after it gets started.

u-b
2020-09-30, 11:55 AM
You are right that title would a better, but I don't think you can change thread titles after it gets started.
You can. You'll have to edit the first post.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-09-30, 12:21 PM
Okay. Right.

Volthawk
2020-09-30, 01:44 PM
There we go, had an unexpectedly busy day today hence only getting the post out now.

The long and short of the foray into politics mentioned in the post was Richard getting involved in a group wanting a more diplomatically-run Shelter, putting his oratory skills (he has Charisma 2 and Voice, so he's not too shabby at it) to work on their behalf, and as you might expect it didn't end well - someone got violent for the cause, Richard took responsibility for the whole mess and here he is. Figured I'd mention it here since the others might have heard something about it.

Incidentally, what does everyone have in terms of food and stuff? I was able to grab personal basics, a sleeping blanket, 2 rations and three bottles with a pint of clean water each. And yeah, as I alluded to in the post, I completely forgot about any kind of backpack or anything to hold said stuff in. Oops.

Yuki Akuma
2020-09-30, 04:40 PM
I... completely forgot to buy food.

Erm.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-09-30, 05:18 PM
I'd say that was about a minute's worth of action - one of your number searched the bodies and examined the scene.

You have multiple options available to you all, of course. Good thing Sean has some advanced knowledge to better inform your choice.

GnomesofZurich
2020-09-30, 06:54 PM
Incidentally, what does everyone have in terms of food and stuff? I was able to grab personal basics, a sleeping blanket, 2 rations and three bottles with a pint of clean water each. And yeah, as I alluded to in the post, I completely forgot about any kind of backpack or anything to hold said stuff in. Oops.

Tariq has a backpack, 10 rations and 5 bottles of water, among other things.

I... completely forgot to buy food.

Erm.

In a post-apocalypse game!? Simone may not be long for this world!

Yuki Akuma
2020-09-30, 09:03 PM
Oh also, Simone has a canteen. And personal basics. ... No rations though. Whoops.

Volthawk
2020-10-01, 03:45 PM
How big and heavy are the dogs? With Richard's BL and current gear (carrying 25.5lbs with BL 29), he can carry 32lbs more and be lightly encumbered, 61lbs more and be medium, 148lbs and be heavy, and 264lbs for extra-heavy, although he's practically limited by what he can physically carry and what allows him to still keep up with everyone (light encumbrance lets him move at BM 5, though, so that's probably okay).

GnomesofZurich
2020-10-01, 04:22 PM
Tariq is already at Light encumbrance (and Move 4) with his ~40 lbs of gear, so he will not willingly carry a dog.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-10-01, 06:27 PM
The dogs weigh 60 lbs. each. There are three dead dogs.

Yuki Akuma
2020-10-01, 10:17 PM
A hundred meters is... not very far. It's possible to sprint that far in ten seconds. Are you positive you're imagining the distance correctly?

Shoot Da Moon
2020-10-02, 08:20 AM
Welcome to town. You can do business and pick up quests here.

u-b
2020-10-02, 09:33 AM
With Richard's BL and current gear (carrying 25.5lbs with BL 29), he can carry 32lbs more and be lightly encumbered, 61lbs more and be medium, 148lbs and be heavy, and 264lbs for extra-heavy, although he's practically limited by what he can physically carry and what allows him to still keep up with everyone (light encumbrance lets him move at BM 5, though, so that's probably okay).
Sean is at medium with a move of 4, so I presume we can take at least one dog and be none the slower. I will assume we do.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-10-02, 09:53 AM
You guys may need to make a reaction roll in the near future - the faceman should list his modifiers in this thread, so I may roll later...

Volthawk
2020-10-02, 04:11 PM
Looks like that's Richard, who has a net +4 (Charisma +2, Voice +2) reaction modifier if he can get talking to the person in question first. I was going to grab positive Appearance too, but spending one more point for the second Charisma rank just gave too much good stuff.

Incidentally, his forthrightness in the post is his Truthfulness coming through, and since he's Easy to Read the guard hopefully won't have much trouble seeing that.

His disadvantages do mean he'll be less useful if we have to be sneaky in the future, though, since he can't lie his way out of a paper bag. Something to keep in mind for the future, I suppose.

GnomesofZurich2
2020-10-04, 11:43 AM
To let you know: I had a computer crash Friday night and lost my log-in as 'GnomesofZurich'; attempts to recover my password have been unsuccessful, and administrators have not responded to my requests for help (possibly because it's a weekend), so I figured I would try to create a new account. Will get caught up with posting now.

Yuki Akuma
2020-10-04, 03:56 PM
So I have a 16 in both Electronics Repair (Communications) and Electronics Repair (Sensors), and a 15 in Electrician. ... But the only tool I have is a swiss army knife.

Really hope I can borrow some tools or I'm gonna be rolling at some hefty penalties when we get to this place! :smallbiggrin:

Shoot Da Moon
2020-10-05, 07:35 PM
You get new gear, but not as much as you want. That toolkit will require more than just asking for it.

u-b
2020-10-06, 10:28 AM
So, we have on Sean:
1. A two-man tent (not sure if we can cram three people in there)
2. A sleeping fur (presumably for one person out of the tent)
3. Group basics (including rope, a pot to boil the water, a hatchet, flint / steel and stuff)
4. $120 worth of ammo and unspecified worth of pills if people would like to improve the situation

Sean has a day's worth of bottled water, which he plans to replenish every evening, and week's worth of rations, which he can share with the others as needed, though he also intends to hunt. If we camp in the wilderness, we'll need portable water only for the lunch, but I think it would be highly preferable if everyone carried a whole day's worth, just in case.

No objections if people shop around and / or chat around until the noon, but other than that, Sean's good to go.

Yuki Akuma
2020-10-06, 12:26 PM
I'm just gonna lay out all of Simone's gear so everyone's on the same page:

1. Backpack, small
2. Bandages
3. Canteen
4. Crowbar, 3'
5. Multi-Tool
6. Personal basics
7. Sleeping bag
8. Tent, 1-man
9. Transistor radio
10. Whetstone

Shoot Da Moon
2020-10-06, 02:07 PM
One of you is Skinny, IIRC - that will help if you need to cram in people into a tent.

You can get water easy, there's plenty of snow around.

You're in town, so you can roll a professional skill to score extra resources. Merchant works as a complementary skill roll.

And that dead dog can be butchered for meat.

Volthawk
2020-10-06, 03:47 PM
This is Richard's gear before factoring in the new stuff we just got, and assuming the dog is going to get butchered into more food we need to assign to people:

Weight: 24.45 lbs (Unencumbered)

Cheap .36 Revolver (2.5 lbs)
- 12 Pistol Catridges (0.3 lbs)
Baton (1 lb)
Light Shield (2 lbs)
Leather Jacket, Leather Pants, Leather Helm, Leather Gloves, Shoes (9.5 lbs)
Personal Basics (1 lb)
Sleeping Blanket (4 lbs)
Rations (2 meals) (1 lbs)
3 Water Bottles (0.15 lbs)
- 3 pts clean water (3 lbs)

His encumbrance limits were mentioned earlier (although he's actually.carrying 1.05lbs less than I thought then, as he had the weight of four full water bottles listed but only bought three), so again he can take on a fair bit more stuff before slowing the group down.

Should probably grab a backpack while we're here, though.

Don't think I can help much with the professional skill side of things, though. Richard's skills are a pretty even split between fighting, social and perception/policey stuff, and I don't think any of them fit the kinds of skills AtE brings up for this. I guess he might have okay defaults for something, but still.

Yuki Akuma
2020-10-06, 04:19 PM
When you say "a professional skill", do you mean... literal Professional Skills, as in the catch all skill on page 215 of the core set, or do you mean any skill that can be used as a job skill?

'Cause I have quite a few of the latter and none of the former.

Edit: Oh, I just found the section in AtE 2 you were probably referring to. I guess my various Electronics Repair skills count?

GnomesofZurich2
2020-10-06, 04:43 PM
One of you is Skinny, IIRC - that will help if you need to cram in people into a tent.

That's me!

Following suit - for gear I have:
Bulky Small Backpack
Bandages
Blanket
Duct tape
Multi-tool
Personal Basics
10 rations
5 plastic bottles of water
Folding shovel/entrenching tool
plus some explosives

I have no tent.

Unless someone in town has an interest in explosives, the only skills Tariq could roll against to earn extra resources would be Mechanic (Automobile) - 12, and he only has his multi-tool for tools.

Edit: I rolled against Mechanic, and didn't do so well: 16 against a target of 12. It's not a critical failure, fortunately, so it looks like it just wastes time.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-10-06, 05:51 PM
Edit: Oh, I just found the section in AtE 2 you were probably referring to. I guess my various Electronics Repair skills count?

Yes. Having Gadgeteer helps, as well. A successful roll means you earn some rations, bullets or other barter items.

u-b
2020-10-06, 11:15 PM
8. Tent, 1-man
Then we have enough for three people to sleep comfortably, which would be just fine assuming we post one guard.

Yuki Akuma
2020-10-07, 11:52 AM
Well, I rolled a "profession roll" in the dice roll thread. Not sure how having Gadgeteer benefits, but it makes sense that it does.

Speaking of posting watch... what's everyone's Per? Mine is 13 (with the downside that I need glasses).

u-b
2020-10-07, 12:09 PM
Sean's 15. He is colorblind, but he can see quite well in the dark and he really needs only four hours of sleep (long story, you may ask some time). Normally, he would take two or three darkest shifts (which are, like, any shifts in January), but can hunt around instead if someone else's watching.

Volthawk
2020-10-07, 12:51 PM
Richard has Per/Observation 12 with no relevant advantages or disadvantages. One of the areas that suffered a little from me needing to shore up other areas first. In general, Richard ended up as a bit more of an all-rounder than I originally expected, looking at it.

In hindsight, I could have gotten another rank of Per on the cheap by messing around with skills (lowering observation, search and detect lies by a rank to effectively buy Per 13 for one point without my skill totals getting worse), but eh, just means if I want to improve this area in the future I'll increase Per rather than skills.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-10-07, 03:40 PM
You can camp down for the night in the shantytown around the Waffle House for no random encounters. The day goes by without incident - everyone eat 3 rations (you automatically get water from the snow).

Volthawk
2020-10-07, 03:49 PM
Poor timing on my part there, editing in a next day section to the post.

There we go.

GnomesofZurich2
2020-10-07, 03:49 PM
Tariq's Per is 13...but his experiences making and using explosives have left him Hard of Hearing and with no sense of smell or taste.

u-b
2020-10-07, 10:36 PM
Okay, we have 90 pounds of meat. It should last long enough if kept frozen. I suggest we eat it instead of trail rations, leaving us with 78. What do we do with it?
1. Can we exchange the fresh meat for more portable trail rations? They are both priced at $2, but the rations weight half as much.
2. Should we spend a day to make it into jerky to reduce the weight and improve the durability?
3. Or can we divide it among ourselves and still have a speed of at least 4?

Shoot Da Moon
2020-10-07, 11:37 PM
Okay, we have 90 pounds of meat. It should last long enough if kept frozen. I suggest we eat it instead of trail rations, leaving us with 78. What do we do with it?
1. Can we exchange the fresh meat for more portable trail rations? They are both priced at $2, but the rations weight half as much.
2. Should we spend a day to make it into jerky to reduce the weight and improve the durability?
3. Or can we divide it among ourselves and still have a speed of at least 4?

1) Yup. Even trade with the encampment management (who are staying put). No gain or loss, money wise, but the rations will weigh less.

The rest of the questions are for your party.

GnomesofZurich2
2020-10-08, 05:02 AM
1) Yup. Even trade with the encampment management (who are staying put). No gain or loss, money wise, but the rations will weigh less.

The rest of the questions are for your party.

Well, if we can trade the meat for rations, let's do that and then we won't have to wait another day before setting out. If evenly divided, we will each be taking 19 or 20, so 9.5 to 10 additional lbs. of encumbrance. Along with the fur outfit and snowshoes, that will push Tariq into Medium encumbrance and Move 3, at least for the first five days, after which consumed rations will lighten his load and bring him back up to Move 4.

As is, from ATE2 p.12, most of the party's Move is likely to be -1 for using snowshoes in snow (skis have no modifier). That means we'll be covering 20 miles per day at best at the start of the trip, and that could easily go lower if there's Bad terrain and snow. Hiking rolls may come in handy here, but Tariq's skill is only 10.

u-b
2020-10-08, 09:01 AM
I did not mean to divide them evenly. In fact, Sean can take one pound at most before dropping from move 4 to move 2, so I just opt him not to take any. The primary suspect to take most is, of course, Richard, but his sack won't hold more than 40 pounds total and we'll have almost that much of rations after the exchange. I propose everyone able to take some rations without dropping below move 4 (which is 3 with snow shoes) take as much as they are able, listing the quantity taken, and we'll see what comes out of it.

Yuki Akuma
2020-10-08, 11:16 AM
Simone can take at most four more 0.5 lb rations before she tips into Move 3 territory. (This will be 14 rations in total)

Might I suggest bartering some of the meat and/or bullets for a sledge? It's snowy enough.

GnomesofZurich2
2020-10-08, 11:29 AM
Tariq will use 3 rations for his meals yesterday/this morning, and can take another 4 before dropping to Move 3. That will leave him with 14 for the trip, which won't be enough for there and back again. The idea of picking up a sledge isn't a bad one.

u-b
2020-10-08, 11:53 AM
Might I suggest bartering some of the meat and/or bullets for a sledge? It's snowy enough.
I see a dogsled listed for $400 on B464. Presumably including a $200+ dog and a harness, so the upper limit for a sledge would be about $200. Less if we choose lower quality or a simpler design, which we probably should. I don't think we need more than a trough-shaped sledge (priced about $10 on the internets at our current TL and in perfect condition), so yeah, good idea. Go ahead and ask around.

UPD: While at it, ask around how much they will give for our painkiller pills.
UPD2: Looking at it more closely, the dogsled's price seems to exclude the dogs. Still, worth checking it for a simpler design.

Totally unrelated, I've just noticed Sean has group basics, but no personal basics. Are the later included in the former or should I do some shopping and spend $5?

Shoot Da Moon
2020-10-08, 12:10 PM
unrelated, I've just noticed Sean has group basics, but no personal basics. Are the later included in the former or should I do some shopping and spend $5?

The later included in the former.

u-b
2020-10-11, 04:17 AM
Okay, here's the deal:
Simone +4 rations
Tariq +4 rations
Sean -1 tent +35 rations
Richard +1 tent (18 lbs in its own bag with handle, to be carried in hand) +35 rations (to be put in the sack)

And we are good to go, no sled required.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-10-11, 05:02 PM
The terrain is considered snow and Bad. Snowshoes remove penalties, but Move is still -1. Skiing is an option, treat movement speed as normal Move (not uphill or downhill yet) and roll the skill every hour of travel. Anyone wanting to speed up the journey, see the rules on AtE2 page 31-32 and the Hiking rules on B351. The party's journey to the Base depends on the slowest Move (encumbrance included) amongst the party, unless you split up. It's 110 miles of distance to the destination.

u-b
2020-10-11, 11:27 PM
Remember that some of your gear is Fragile. After using it (claiming the bonus for the map or skiing), roll the gear's HT (probably 12) to avoid breaking it.
Oops. Where can I read about it? I rather expected the short AtE equipment section entry about being fragile to fully cover the effect (i.e. hit point and HT reduction that are to matter when a normal quality item will also roll HT or take damage).

Skiing is an option, treat movement speed as normal Move (not uphill or downhill yet) and roll the skill every hour of travel. Anyone wanting to speed up the journey, see the rules on AtE2 page 31-32 and the Hiking rules on B351. The party's journey to the Base depends on the slowest Move (encumbrance included) amongst the party, unless you split up.
Not splitting up. I've just rolled to see if it's critical fail. As for the frequency of rolling. Is AtE frequency of once per hour only for downhill skiing or does it supersede the basic set frequency of once per day?

Shoot Da Moon
2020-10-12, 08:09 AM
Oops. Where can I read about it? I rather expected the short AtE equipment section entry about being fragile to fully cover the effect (i.e. hit point and HT reduction that are to matter when a normal quality item will also roll HT or take damage).

Not splitting up. I've just rolled to see if it's critical fail. As for the frequency of rolling. Is AtE frequency of once per hour only for downhill skiing or does it supersede the basic set frequency of once per day?

Yeah, my mistake. I mistook Fragile for Unreliable. Wrong is me. You're right. And you can just roll Skiing once for the entire journey.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-10-13, 08:47 PM
How many miles a day is the party moving again?

Also, welcome to a random encounter!

Anyone wanting to examine the bodies, you'll need to cut them down (30 seconds per body) and roll Search skill (1 minute of work per body).

GnomesofZurich2
2020-10-14, 11:20 AM
How many miles a day is the party moving again?

Also, welcome to a random encounter!

Anyone wanting to examine the bodies, you'll need to cut them down (30 seconds per body) and roll Search skill (1 minute of work per body).

I think it's 15 miles per day. Slowest Basic Move is 3 (including -1 from snowshoes) x10 as per Basic p.351 x0.50 for Bad terrain.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-10-14, 11:42 AM
Thank you.

u-b
2020-10-14, 11:44 AM
x0.50 for Bad terrain.
Not if we stick to the roads, which we probably do.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-10-14, 11:49 AM
Not if we stick to the roads, which we probably do.

Sadly, no. The snow covering the roads ruins that, and the nonmaintained roads are Bad terrain even if it didn't. Vermont now IRL has problems with road conditions - in mud season, the region basically is miserable to travel in.

The movement penalty for Bad terrain applies.

u-b
2020-10-14, 12:01 PM
The rules actually cover it. An average road is as good as light forest or rolling hills (and worse than unpaved level plains). It can go down to very bad in the rain, but the snow just adds snow penalties, it does not make the road any worse. Good roads are on par with plains, but probably are long done if they were present. I don't mind you houseruling this, but that's my reading.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-10-14, 12:58 PM
The party finds;

Empty spare magazine
2 whistles
Gauntlets
Sollerets
800lbs. of junk
Cheap Remington Rolling Block rifle
small knife

Will look up the weight and other stats later in the thread (give me some time), especially if you guys ask about this or that. Any questions about this stuff?

u-b
2020-10-14, 01:21 PM
Cheap Remington Rolling Block rifle
Will this use "Cartridge Rifle, .45" stats from B279 or something else? UPD: will rifle cartridges that we have work for it?

Volthawk
2020-10-14, 03:34 PM
Unless I've misunderstood something, in AtE ammo's abstracted enough that rifle cartridges work in any rifle we might come across.

Does anyone actually have Rifle? Richard doesn't, but can default to it at 13.

u-b
2020-10-14, 10:31 PM
Does anyone actually have Rifle? Richard doesn't, but can default to it at 13.
Sean has 14 and fast-draw for it 12. He'd need to offload some rations to take it though.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-10-14, 11:02 PM
Will this use "Cartridge Rifle, .45" stats from B279 or something else? UPD: will rifle cartridges that we have work for it?

Nah, I got the stats from High Tech. I'll post the stats for it in just a moment.

ADD:

5d Pi+
Acc 4-1
Range 470/3000
Weight 9.2 lbs.
RoF 1
Shots 1(3)
ST 10 2h
Bulk -6
Rcl 4
-1 HT
-1 Malf

Volthawk
2020-10-15, 12:00 PM
For the purpose of loot allocation/gear redistribution, went through my gear to make sure I had weights right and sort out where everything is being carried:

Weight: 76.6 lbs (Medium Encumbrance, Light below 58, Heavy at 87)

Weapons (rifle over shoulder, baton worn on belt, ammo in pockets, shield in sack):
Cheap Remington Rolling Block (9.2 lbs)
5 Rifle Catridges (0.25 lbs)
Baton (1 lb)
Light Shield (2 lbs)

Clothes/Armour (all worn for travel):
Furs (1 lbs)
Snowshoes (5 lbs)

Misc (tent in one hand, basics and blanket in sack, sack in other hand):
Personal Basics (1 lb)
Sleeping Blanket (4 lbs)
Bulky Tent, 2-man (18 lbs)
Sack (3lbs, 29.65/40 lbs capacity used)

Food (all in sack):
Rations (39 meals) (19.5 lbs)

Not factoring in the weight of the sack (wasn't given with the capacity, what is it GM?) or any rations eaten between leaving the House/Sean allocating the rations and now, but that's where I'm at right now.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-10-15, 02:31 PM
The sack weighs 3 lbs by itself.

u-b
2020-10-15, 10:09 PM
Tent, 2-man (12 lbs)
The tent is bulky at 18 lbs.

Thinking of it, if the party treats the terrain as bad, do skis allow to treat it as average, as per B351? If yes, Sean can take on some additional stuff without slowing us down.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-10-16, 12:19 AM
Thinking of it, if the party treats the terrain as bad, do skis allow to treat it as average, as per B351? If yes, Sean can take on some additional stuff without slowing us down.

Yup. AtE 2 has the exact rules on Skiing (look under either Travel (in Going Forth chapter) and/or Snow (in the Climate section of Hazards chapter)).

Volthawk
2020-10-16, 12:24 PM
The tent is bulky at 18 lbs.

Ah right, corrected.

Also edited to factor in the weapon changes IC, so Tariq gets this:
Cheap .36 Revolver (2.5 lbs)
- 12 Pistol Catridges (0.3 lbs)

Not that fussed about the armour if someone else wants them - Richard already has 2* hand DR and the baton for melee fights, so the gauntlets aren't that needed, and I'm not too concerned about foot armour.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-10-17, 05:32 AM
Shout out to all you Condemned 2 fans!

Animal Handling rolls will be at -5, if you try it.
Every party member except Sean will at least be on the ground, if not asleep. Sean is on-guard and ready.

GnomesofZurich2
2020-10-17, 12:41 PM
Do we have to make a roll (Per?) to wake up?

Shoot Da Moon
2020-10-17, 10:45 PM
No, unless you have certain Disadvantages (Slow Riser, IIRC). The noise makers woke you up.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-10-19, 05:24 AM
Simone's player, please post ASAP or I will have to NPC you for the upcoming combat.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-10-20, 04:46 AM
Okay, posting Simone as a NPC.

And combat time starts.

Turn order:
Bear: 7.00
Sean: 6.00
Richard: 6.00
Tariq: 5.75
Simone: 5.25

Shoot Da Moon
2020-10-20, 10:55 AM
Mark off a rifle bullet, Sean.
Richard? Make your move...because the monster's is gonna be ugly.

u-b
2020-10-20, 11:32 AM
(OOC: Bear Dodged. It'll take 3 Readies to reload the rifle.)[/I]
Oh, f***! This gonna be a short one. As a matter of last hope...

Dodge is normally the only active defense you can take against firearms. This does not mean you can actually dodge bullets! A dodge against this kind of attack represents an attempt not to be where you think your opponent will shoot, by weaving or ducking at the right moment.
Is the rabid bear smart enough to do that? I mean, it's not like it is trying to escape and in the nature the prey usually does not wield rifles...

Shoot Da Moon
2020-10-20, 02:02 PM
Is the rabid bear smart enough to do that? I mean, it's not like it is trying to escape and in the nature the prey usually does not wield rifles...

The bear isn't Berserk*, and the rifle makes both a bang and a muzzle flash - it was a reflex. Just enough that the bullet missed by...let's call it centimetres?

* yet.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-10-21, 07:06 AM
Tariq's player, please post soon. Thank you.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-10-21, 11:18 PM
*gulp*

Sean...?

u-b
2020-10-22, 09:31 AM
I assume there should be enough trampled space around the fire for at least one step back. Tell me if there is more or if I can do it in circles.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-10-22, 12:18 PM
Yes, but keep in mind there is increasing amounts of snow beyond the dark - 20 or more yards out from the centre of the camp, you're taking penalties. And the darkness starts getting worse before then.

Volthawk
2020-10-22, 02:02 PM
How far away is Richard from the bear and Sean?

Shoot Da Moon
2020-10-22, 04:10 PM
How far away is Richard from the bear and Sean?

Not very far. 3 yards at furthest. -0 in range penalties.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-10-22, 07:55 PM
Remember that the bear's SM +1 adds to the attack rolls, IIRC.

Also, Sean just got chomped by a critical hit. Hope he's got good torso DR...

Volthawk
2020-10-23, 05:10 AM
So I'm an idiot. Looking at the dice roll thread in the morning, I see that I somehow worked out 14+4-4 as meaning 12, rather than 14. I blame initially planning on a -6 deceptive (which would have been 12) then changing my mind. So technically Richard's strike did hit (since it was skill 15), but I suppose the time has passed for that now.

GnomesofZurich2
2020-10-23, 03:31 PM
Tariq is hoping to try to shoot the bear with the revolver, but I'm unclear where everyone is. Are either Richard or Sean in the line of fire?

Shoot Da Moon
2020-10-23, 04:57 PM
Tariq is hoping to try to shoot the bear with the revolver, but I'm unclear where everyone is. Are either Richard or Sean in the line of fire?

Nope, they've both Stepped away from close combat.
You've got a clear shot, knock on wood.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-10-23, 10:30 PM
The bear takes 1 injury, assuming the wounding modifier is x1.

ADD: And another 3 injury from Simone.
Richard defends against the attack.

Volthawk
2020-10-24, 06:47 AM
To confirm, that step by the bear means it's in close combat with me now, right?

Shoot Da Moon
2020-10-24, 08:52 AM
To confirm, that step by the bear means it's in close combat with me now, right?

Nah. Its claw attack is Reach 1. Not Close Combat.

GnomesofZurich2
2020-10-25, 04:33 AM
Just to confirm, we're waiting on Richard to act, right? Tariq is planning to try shooting the bear again when it's his turn.

Volthawk
2020-10-25, 05:14 AM
Sorry about that, could've sworn I posted yesterday.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-10-25, 06:08 AM
Richard, just for future reference, what are your Dodge and Block scores? Remember to add in the shield DB.

Volthawk
2020-10-25, 06:17 AM
Factoring in DB, Dodge 10 and Block 12 (Parry 11 with the baton out).

GnomesofZurich2
2020-10-25, 09:31 AM
Ugh, these damage rolls are killing me (well, at least failing to kill the bear!). Average for the revolver is 6, I only rolled a 4 the first time, and the second, using Luck to roll 3 times, I got 2, 1, and 4!

Shoot Da Moon
2020-10-25, 11:36 AM
Remember that your use of Luck requires in-game time to recharge.

GnomesofZurich2
2020-10-25, 01:06 PM
Remember that your use of Luck requires in-game time to recharge.

Yes, I'm aware. If using the Game Time modifier, that translates into one use per game-day (although the GM in another game in which I'm playing has ruled that it's one-use per ~30 IC posts, figuring that each post amounts to ~2 minutes of 'at-the-table' play).

Shoot Da Moon
2020-10-25, 08:39 PM
Good hit on that shot, Tariq.
The nightbear is injured enough to have half Move and Dodge.
It still has fight left in it, even if it hasn't gone Berserk. Don't get cocky, everyone.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-10-25, 11:47 PM
Every PC earns 2 Character Points for defeating the Nightbear encounter.

Well done all of you.

GnomesofZurich2
2020-10-26, 03:19 PM
Tariq has First Aid 13 and bandages. Is anyone else in a better position to patch up Sean?

Volthawk
2020-10-26, 03:25 PM
Richard's only got it at 12.

GnomesofZurich2
2020-10-26, 03:58 PM
I critically failed my First Aid roll, which costs Sean 2 HP. Any penalty for a repeated attempt?

Shoot Da Moon
2020-10-26, 04:14 PM
Yeah, -2 for repeated attempts on failure, unless you wait a day.

I probably should have checked Simone's character sheet before you rolled, in case she had better skill...
She's got skill 15.

Wanna retcon that roll into an attempt at assisting roll? If so, Simone rolls her own skill at -2. But if you accept the current result, you all get an extra CP as a consolation prize.

GnomesofZurich2
2020-10-26, 05:17 PM
Yeah, -2 for repeated attempts on failure, unless you wait a day.

I probably should have checked Simone's character sheet before you rolled, in case she had better skill...
She's got skill 15.

Wanna retcon that roll into an attempt at assisting roll? If so, Simone rolls her own skill at -2. But if you accept the current result, you all get an extra CP as a consolation prize.

It would probably be best to retcon it and have Simone give it a go.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-10-26, 05:23 PM
Okay. Rolling...

EDIT/ADD: Simone succeeds, Sean is healed for 5 HP.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-10-27, 03:25 PM
Random encounter?

u-b
2020-10-28, 12:22 PM
Well, these are not very good stealth rolls. Do range penalties apply to boars' senses?

Shoot Da Moon
2020-10-28, 05:28 PM
Yes. They do. The range penalty is currently -8 from the furthered away.

Richard does need to make a Stealth roll.

The snow is ankle deep. Snowshoes help. See the Dice Rolls thread for more info...

Shoot Da Moon
2020-10-28, 06:06 PM
The shot missed. The boars are running. Switch to standard combat? Or let them go?

Shoot Da Moon
2020-10-29, 09:47 AM
Dang it, I just remembered I should have noted that it is DAY 3 in my IC thread post...

Shoot Da Moon
2020-10-31, 10:39 AM
Sean isn't got to be able to heal today. You need a full day of rest, not hiking.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-11-01, 12:55 PM
Sorry about the delay.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-11-01, 10:33 PM
Who wants to search the overturned car?

Shoot Da Moon
2020-11-02, 12:06 PM
Taking the bullets?

GnomesofZurich2
2020-11-02, 04:58 PM
Are we using the ATE convention that any rifle bullet fits any rifle and any pistol bullet fits any pistol? Tariq is happy to take some pistol rounds for his new revolver.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-11-02, 08:33 PM
Are we using the ATE convention that any rifle bullet fits any rifle and any pistol bullet fits any pistol? Tariq is happy to take some pistol rounds for his new revolver.

Sure. Remember to account for the small weight of the bullets.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-11-02, 11:50 PM
Random encounter!

u-b
2020-11-03, 08:32 AM
Random encounter!
Is there a hiding place within reach and/or some other sort of cover?

How many bullets can Tariq take?
There are 16 pistol bullets in the box. Take them all.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-11-03, 01:45 PM
Is there a hiding place within reach and/or some other sort of cover?

Make a Stealth roll. Camouflage, Tactics and Survival skills may complement the roll.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-11-03, 09:33 PM
Everyone post ASAP, before the motorcycles reach your position...

Shoot Da Moon
2020-11-04, 03:13 AM
Richard, what will you do? Remember, you can only hear the motorcycles, none of you SEE them yet...

Shoot Da Moon
2020-11-05, 09:10 PM
Random encounter! Wanna buy and/or sell (or rob...) the merchants' stock?

u-b
2020-11-07, 12:45 AM
What are you looking for?
I think we might be able to afford a cheap .45 cartridge rifle (B279), depending how well we haggle and how much they would value the pills. Failing that, maybe a cheap bayonet for the rifle, if it does not interfere with the shooting and/or some food.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-11-07, 01:38 AM
The base value of the opoid pills are $25 a pop, and you have 12 (IIRC) - you wanna haggle?

u-b
2020-11-07, 04:08 AM
Sean proposes the following deal:
1. Buy cheap .45 cartridge rifle for -160
2. Buy cheap bayonet for -16
3. Buy 14 rations for -28
4. Buy 7 rifle cartriges for -70
5. Sell sollerets for +90 (150 * 0.6)
6. Sell cheap spear for +9 (16 * 0.6)
7. Sell 7 opioid pills for +105 (175 * 0.6)
8. Sell 14 pistol cartriges for +70 (70 * 1.0)

If they would want to alter it more than just a little, then yes, someone should haggle. Probably not Sean, because he has no practice in that.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-11-07, 06:43 AM
Most if not all of the party should sign off on any deal you make.

Volthawk
2020-11-07, 03:47 PM
That sounds good to me.

As far as haggling goes, defaulting with the half reaction mod bonus gives Richard a skill of 9 - if anyone actually has the skill, they'll probably be better, but as defaulting goes it's not bad. However, whether Richard does it or someone else, he can use his Diplomacy 13 as a complementary skill, which should help a little, but I'm still not sure whether it's worth the risk of a failure driving the price up.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-11-07, 06:52 PM
I'm willing to simply say the proposed deal goes through as written above, with no edge going to either side. You don't have to haggle to get a better deal.

u-b
2020-11-08, 04:12 AM
Sean will carry the rifle ready for use, loaded and with bayonet attached. He'll pack the crossbow and the bolts somewhere into/onto the backpack. This frees some weight, so Sean will put on the gauntlets if we don't sell them (see below). Do gauntlets count as brass knuckles for brawling?

Now, for appropriating the rest of the loot. I think, unless there are proposals to the contrary, we'll use general partnership and/or communism to allocate the tasks and resources, so it's no big deal who's found what, who's carrying what, etc. With that in mind, we have a small knife, a spare magazine, 5 more pills and a pair of gauntlets perfectly available for sale if we really need something. This is all sufficiently portable and potentially usable stuff, so I would not hurry to get rid of it if we do not, but the men are giving us good enough price, so take a look at your wish-lists to see if there is something you want to have sooner rather than later.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-11-08, 04:29 AM
Do gauntlets count as brass knuckles for brawling?

Yes.

Moving the campaign onward, you guys have encountered another group of people the next day at lunch.

Volthawk
2020-11-08, 08:42 AM
Nothing leaps out as being important for Richard - as far as I can see, he's mostly just looking for better versions of what he has. Another pistol would be nice, but that's mostly a luxury and not urgent.

Might be worth trying for a speedloader if they have it, though, since Tariq's using a revolver, but I'll leave whether or not he wants/needs it to him.

In terms of the loose gear, Richard will take the knife if it's going spare (since he currently lacks anything cutting), and can carry just under 15 lbs more stuff without moving up into heavy:

Weight: 68.75 lbs
Encumbrance: Medium (-2 Dodge, *0.6 BM)
Thresholds: Light 29, Medium 58, Heavy 87

Weapons (rifle over shoulder, baton worn on belt, ammo in pockets, shield in sack):
Cheap Remington Rolling Block (9.2 lbs)
13 Rifle Cartridges (0.65 lbs)
5 Shotgun Cartridges (0.25)
Baton (1 lb)
Light Shield (2 lbs)

Clothes/Armour (all worn for travel):
Furs (1 lbs)
Snowshoes (5 lbs)

Miscellaneous (tent in one hand, basics and blanket in sack, sack in other hand):
Personal Basics (1 lb)
Sleeping Blanket (4 lbs)
Bulky Tent, 2-man (18 lbs)
Sack (3lbs, 22.65/40 lbs capacity used)

Food (all in sack):
Rations (22 meals) (11 lbs)

On another note, how are we handling spending those CP we earned? Can we spend them now on the road (with the standard 'only on stuff related to what you actually did' caveat), or should we wait until we've stopped travelling?

u-b
2020-11-08, 09:34 AM
Richard will take the knife if it's going spare
Done. One small knife given to Richard.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-11-08, 01:32 PM
On another note, how are we handling spending those CP we earned? Can we spend them now on the road (with the standard 'only on stuff related to what you actually did' caveat), or should we wait until we've stopped travelling?

Either wait for some downtime to spend them on any (valid/rules legal) trait through study or whatever, spend them now on the road for only stuff you actually did, or see out a trainer/manual to improve on the road stuff you didn't actually do.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-11-10, 01:48 AM
Who wants Sean to hunt?

GnomesofZurich2
2020-11-10, 04:41 PM
Who wants Sean to hunt?

Do we need him to? Tariq is inclined to get where they're going.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-11-10, 10:28 PM
Since no-one else chimed in, I'm gonna rule Sean goes hunting.

He and the former slaves finds a lone wolf. The rules on Hunting in AtE2 tell us what to roll next.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-11-11, 04:45 AM
The way you handled the former slaves earns you all another 2 Character Points.

GnomesofZurich2
2020-11-11, 05:32 AM
Shall we take 30 meals from the wolf, and leave the former slaves with the other 30? Are we still considering Simone to be with us, or are you just going to write her out? I see the player is still active on this board, but seems to have abandoned this game.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-11-11, 07:31 AM
Shall we take 30 meals from the wolf, and leave the former slaves with the other 30? Are we still considering Simone to be with us, or are you just going to write her out? I see the player is still active on this board, but seems to have abandoned this game.

I PM'd her player before. The player is suffering from anxiety. I can retcon her out of the campaign no problem. Or NPC her.

u-b
2020-11-11, 09:17 AM
Shall we take 30 meals from the wolf, and leave the former slaves with the other 30?
I'd rather let them have the whole wolf, and butcher it too. If they don't have a knife and we'll be participating in the butchering, I'd take enough fresh meat for the dinner and breakfast, so 8 pounds total. We can hunt when we have to, without major problems, and they'll need all the food they can get.

Are we still considering Simone to be with us, or are you just going to write her out? I see the player is still active on this board, but seems to have abandoned this game.
I'd keep her as an NPC forever. One of many NPCs when reinforcements arrive, so presumably no big deal.

Volthawk
2020-11-11, 09:49 PM
Yeah, Richard would rather they get as much of the food as possible.

Sorry to hear that about Simone's player. Yeah, I'd rather NPC her - I suppose we can leave her at the Waffle House on our return (or even at the installation to work on everything, I suppose).

Sorry for the quietness for the last day or two, had limited internet access.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-11-12, 02:15 AM
Alright. Moving on.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-11-12, 11:39 AM
Who's taking what? And do you need me to help you look the weigh and value of the stuff?

Volthawk
2020-11-12, 12:10 PM
Yeah, giving Tariq the speedloaders makes sense to me.

GnomesofZurich2
2020-11-12, 10:19 PM
Yeah, giving Tariq the speedloaders makes sense to me.

Sounds good!

How close are we? I kind of figured we would be there already, going 15 miles per day.

u-b
2020-11-12, 10:33 PM
Done. Three speedloaders given to Tariq.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-11-13, 09:09 AM
You've reached the radar base. Now, how and where do you want to get into it?

u-b
2020-11-14, 11:20 AM
4) Yes, swimming under the surface and through some underwater open doors would lead inside the base.)
I was rather expecting to walk on the surface. Is there ice strong enough to carry a man? Does it seem like it froze after the mines were planted? Does it seem like it would carry us all the way past the mine field? Also, what are fence posts made from? Wood?

Shoot Da Moon
2020-11-15, 01:54 AM
I was rather expecting to walk on the surface. Is there ice strong enough to carry a man? Does it seem like it froze after the mines were planted? Does it seem like it would carry us all the way past the mine field? Also, what are fence posts made from? Wood?

No.
The mines are planted in another area of the base, the swimming pool is basically on the other side.
Getting past the minefield would get to another part of the base than if you swam in.
Fence posts are metal poles.

u-b
2020-11-16, 05:49 AM
(OOC: Sean, I believe your DR reduces the 12 crushing damage from the fall. But you’re still wounded from that bear attack, so you may be in the negatives.)
If the harness does not work, will be exactly at zero. The hope is that if it's on the line halfway to the roof, and not just climbing the tree, the harness should be engaged. The harness was not tested before the event. Do we roll something to test?

Shoot Da Moon
2020-11-16, 07:18 AM
If the harness does not work, will be exactly at zero. The hope is that if it's on the line halfway to the roof, and not just climbing the tree, the harness should be engaged. The harness was not tested before the event. Do we roll something to test?

Well...no.

You got no skill on your character sheet that would help that much.

Sorry.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-11-23, 07:24 AM
Tariq didn't specify an area of the base to scavenge. So I just assumed he meant the ground floor office room.

EDIT/ADD: BTW, the 600 lbs. junk pile is worth $60.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-11-25, 11:59 PM
The 900 lbs. of junk is worth $90. But that isn't what you're interested in, is it?

GnomesofZurich2
2020-11-26, 06:11 AM
The 900 lbs. of junk is worth $90. But that isn't what you're interested in, is it?

Not so much, but Tariq is excited to have found loot! He'll take the dynamite, fuse cord, and wire cutters (where were you when he needed you earlier?), and bring the water bottle, multi-tool, rations and heroin pill back to the others before continuing his search.

I currently lack Architecture and Search, but I do have the One-Task Wonder perk for Architecture when planting explosives. May I upgrade to Architecture at IQ by spending a point? Would you allow him to purchase Search and/or upgrade Scrounging? Ah, so many skills to learn, so few points!

u-b
2020-11-26, 11:35 AM
I'll track everything not otherwise taken. This does not mean Sean does anything other than talk.
1. Is heroin pill the same as the opioid pills we've found earlier?
2. Any chance of repairing the three smashed cymbal-banging motion-sensing monkey dolls to place them strategically as noise traps / alarms while we camp at the base?
3. Failing that, any remaining value (battaries, electronic parts)?
4. What type is the car? How bad does it look (e.g. major parts missing or located nearby, tires, fuel, etc.)?

Shoot Da Moon
2020-11-27, 12:14 AM
I currently lack Architecture and Search, but I do have the One-Task Wonder perk for Architecture when planting explosives. May I upgrade to Architecture at IQ by spending a point? Would you allow him to purchase Search and/or upgrade Scrounging? Ah, so many skills to learn, so few points!

Yeah, you can spend the points if you got them.

I'll track everything not otherwise taken. This does not mean Sean does anything other than talk.
1. Is heroin pill the same as the opioid pills we've found earlier?
2. Any chance of repairing the three smashed cymbal-banging motion-sensing monkey dolls to place them strategically as noise traps / alarms while we camp at the base?
3. Failing that, any remaining value (battaries, electronic parts)?
4. What type is the car? How bad does it look (e.g. major parts missing or located nearby, tires, fuel, etc.)?

1) Yep.
2) Maybe, if anyone has the skills for it. I am guessing...Electronics Repair (Sensors)?
3) Yeah, the monkeys are minor electronic parts and small batteries worth $5 each.
4) The car is a four door station wagon. It has a nonfunctional engine (needs minor repairs) and has no fuel (gasoline).

u-b
2020-11-27, 12:28 PM
2) Maybe, if anyone has the skills for it. I am guessing...Electronics Repair (Sensors)?
We can let Simone do it, taking extra time as she sees fit. It's not like she does anything else at the moment. Also, how many more broken monkey in the mess hall? We can give them to her too if they are either fixable or usable for spare parts.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-11-27, 03:04 PM
We can let Simone do it, taking extra time as she sees fit. It's not like she does anything else at the moment. Also, how many more broken monkey in the mess hall? We can give them to her too if they are either fixable or usable for spare parts.

I'll see what Simone's skill is.
2d6 monkeys in the mess hall.
See the dice roll thread.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-11-27, 03:20 PM
Done. For the next 36 hours, Simone will repair all nine monkeys to work again. Guess you're all camping down for the night inside the base?

u-b
2020-11-27, 11:23 PM
Yeah, but Tariq could continue scrounging for the rest of the day. I think we are not looking for anything in particular at the moment (we are looking for radar / comms equipment, but this can wait).

Shoot Da Moon
2020-11-28, 08:03 AM
Do you guys want to hold up somewhere and rest? Let the injured heal for a bit?

u-b
2020-11-28, 10:13 AM
That would take upwards of a week, right? I see no problem with searching at least the building we are in. Not opening any suspicious-looking doors or anything. I'd have our camp on some upper floor with the first repaired monkey sensor occupying downstairs. Then we can skip a few days and see how it goes.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-11-28, 12:40 PM
That would take upwards of a week, right? I see no problem with searching at least the building we are in. Not opening any suspicious-looking doors or anything. I'd have our camp on some upper floor with the first repaired monkey sensor occupying downstairs. Then we can skip a few days and see how it goes.

Okay. Reaching the upper floor would require either finding stairs inside, or climbing the ladder on the outside.
Which rooms do you want to scavenge in? (Each roll takes one hour.)

u-b
2020-11-28, 12:57 PM
Can Tariq reasonably safely circle the building outside and have a look inside to count the ground-level rooms and estimate the corridor(s)? After that, I'll let him handle it as he sees fit.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-11-28, 03:22 PM
Can Tariq reasonably safely circle the building outside and have a look inside to count the ground-level rooms and estimate the corridor(s)? After that, I'll let him handle it as he sees fit.

Sure. Roll Architecture skill to do an estimate.

u-b
2020-11-29, 01:46 AM
Does it mean that the windows are all shuttered so one cannot just look inside and count?

GnomesofZurich2
2020-11-29, 10:44 AM
Sorry, I've been a bit occupied.

Tariq is trading in his One-Task Wonder (Architecture) perk and spending an extra point to buy Architecture at IQ, as discussed, as well as putting a point in Search.

I will do some more searching around, I'll post IC shortly and do the Architecture roll and more Searching/Scrounging.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-11-29, 12:47 PM
Does it mean that the windows are all shuttered so one cannot just look inside and count?

No, some of the doors inside are locked or barricaded. Some of the corridors are blocked. Some of the rooms do not have windows.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-12-03, 07:14 PM
Edited the post a little to correct errors.
Are the rest of you guys fine with how the campaign is going so far?

u-b
2020-12-04, 09:11 AM
Yep. Had my share of minor issues, but pretty much satisfied overall.

Volthawk
2020-12-04, 04:20 PM
Yep. Had my share of minor issues, but pretty much satisfied overall.

Yeah, this more or less sums up how I feel too.

GnomesofZurich2
2020-12-05, 11:05 AM
Edited the post a little to correct errors.

Yes, generally. The trip to the outpost took a while, but I'm happy Tariq is finally getting a chance to blow something up!

Shoot Da Moon
2020-12-09, 12:50 AM
You found;
4 rifle bullets
20 canned food
1d6+3 bottles of booze
8+2d6 opioid pills

u-b
2020-12-09, 01:31 PM
We have five days worth of canned food, so let's just relax and take a vacation for exactly that long. Is anyone a trained Physician or willing to train on the two volunteers?

UPD: Scratch that, wrong kind of counting. We need 12 per day. Still can rest for five days, but then the first thing we do is hunting.

GnomesofZurich2
2020-12-09, 05:58 PM
We have five days worth of canned food, so let's just relax and take a vacation for exactly that long. Is anyone a trained Physician or willing to train on the two volunteers?

UPD: Scratch that, wrong kind of counting. We need 12 per day. Still can rest for five days, but then the first thing we do is hunting.

Tariq isn't going to sit around for five days waiting for you guys to heal, he intends to keep exploring the complex. I still have 6 rations plus what I found, so we're good for a bit. I have First Aid-14, but no Physician skill.

I rolled, we ended up with 5 bottles of booze and 17 opioid pills.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-12-09, 06:00 PM
It's three meals per day per person, plus water (which is not a problem, because of the snow).

Eat a ration for dinner, everyone, before we start on the rest period.

u-b
2020-12-10, 01:13 AM
I rolled, we ended up with 5 bottles of booze and 17 opioid pills.
I rolled these before, in response to your #204 (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24836631&postcount=204)post IC.

Eat a ration for dinner, everyone, before we start on the rest period.
Speaking of rest period, has one started when we were dragged into the base late morning today or must it be nght-to-night? It seems Tariq is sabotaging the fast-forward, which I am fine with. I don't remember, have we ate the lunch?

@Everyone: Take 5 canned food each.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-12-11, 02:00 AM
Speaking of rest period, has one started when we were dragged into the base late morning today or must it be nght-to-night? It seems Tariq is sabotaging the fast-forward, which I am fine with. I don't remember, have we ate the lunch?

@Everyone: Take 5 canned food each.

A complete rest period would be about 8 hours of sleep and no stressful activity for the day. I believe you ate lunch when you arrived at the base? If not, retroactively mark off a meal, if you'd please.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-12-11, 08:13 PM
How many days does the party rest for? And what does Tariq do while the rest are recovering?

Shoot Da Moon
2020-12-15, 06:11 AM
Three lockers resisted the crowbar.

GnomesofZurich2
2020-12-16, 05:31 PM
Can I try to rig up a small explosive charge to blow the last lock? I figure a shotgun shell and/or one of the jam-tin grenades might do it.

Tariq is frustrated, and just wants this over with. May as well make use of my Gadgeteer (Explosives)!

Shoot Da Moon
2020-12-18, 02:01 AM
Can I try to rig up a small explosive charge to blow the last lock? I figure a shotgun shell and/or one of the jam-tin grenades might do it.

Tariq is frustrated, and just wants this over with. May as well make use of my Gadgeteer (Explosives)!

Yeah, okay. One jam-tin grenade should do it. Roll Explosives (Demolitions), I believe, to d it right.

GnomesofZurich2
2020-12-19, 06:27 AM
Once he gets into the last locker, Tariq is going to rejoin the others. I'm okay doing the fast-forward now, he'll use the time to nurse the minor wounds he got opening the lockers and sort through his finds.

u-b
2020-12-19, 12:47 PM
Tariq will rig the jam tin grenade to blow the last lock off. He then plans to carry all his finds back to the others.
Okay, unless anyone takes anything, I'll just account for the loot:

13 heroin pills
Broken Colt Government .45 pistol
Broken Colt .45 Single Action Army revolver
Jam tin grenade
H&R Model 8 Standard 12G single shotgun
4 MREs
6 pistol bullets
2 shotgun shells
(plus whatever is in the last locker)

I suggest we keep the MREs (they are good trade value).
Does anybody have the skill to repair the handguns once we get to the workshop?
I'll roll and eat three days of rest assuming nothing comes at us in the meantime. Tariq will only heal on days 2 and 3 (he's been busy today). Then we'll see how it goes and assign our priorities.

@DM any chance picking up Physician while we are at it? Sean would be willing to "try applying some long-forgotten lessons and see if he remembers anything" on day 3+ (i.e. roll it at default a few times to gain some practice; he does have First Aid, so it is somewhat plausible that his education was a bit broader, if not deep enough and without much practice). Also, does using Physician on oneself and/or one extra person counts as serious activity for the purpose of natural healing?

Shoot Da Moon
2020-12-20, 03:44 AM
Trying to learn a new skill and apply it does count as serious activity, yes.

u-b
2020-12-20, 06:20 AM
I rolled a success on Physician. Is it enough to (1) heal 1 hit point, despite not resting that day and/or (2) establish the correct procedure for handling the sprains and bruises to spend 1 point in the skill?

UPD: Also, I'd like to know if Richard can move at full speed after day 5.

UPD2: Simone will be done with motion-sensing monkeys by that time and ready to work new projects, which probably includes the guns and/or the radio room. So there's the question of the workshop. Blowing the way there will cost us $160 worth of dynamite and cause some noise, but if we can move at full speed as needed, that's not as life-threatenings as it would be while we were immobile. Probably more economical to move the rubble by hand, if we don't need actual shovels to do that.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-12-20, 07:36 AM
I believe it's day 13 of the campaign, do I have that right?

Also, there is a trap in the infirmary.

Also also, everyone eats 3 meals per day for 4 days. Mark them off. Yum yum.

u-b
2020-12-20, 08:54 AM
I believe it's day 13 of the campaign, do I have that right?
That matches my accounting.

Speaking of food, Sean still has 23 rations when he wakes up on day 13, so might distribute some in case anyone is running low.

Volthawk
2020-12-20, 10:10 AM
The fall only dropped Richard to 0, so the first bit of healing was enough to push him into positive and able to move without risking unconsciousness.

u-b
2020-12-20, 10:19 AM
I mean, without the "reeling" condition, as per B380.

Volthawk
2020-12-20, 12:18 PM
Over the 4 days, he's healed 2HP to put him at 2/12 HP so no, not yet unless he gets some medical help.

Is it worth Richard picking up more medical stuff than his current First Aid 12, do you think, or have Sean and Tariq got that covered? I feel like Richard should have something useful for these kinds of situations (as his current setup of social and fighting isn't so useful when we're alone), but I'm not sure what's useful, makes sense to pick up and isn't already decently covered (the alternative being picking up those physical skills I missed like Stealth and otherwise just getting better at what he's already doing).

Alternatively, once we're happy he's healed enough, he could start working on the broken guns to pick up Armoury with the same logic as Sean's Physician, since he's got gun skills already and decent IQ so that makes sense to me.

Richard's got eight rations left in the bag. Plenty of space and weight at this encumbrance level for loot too (22lbs of weight puts him just below Heavy, and the sack has enough capacity to hold all of that extra weight).

u-b
2020-12-21, 06:16 AM
Over the 4 days, he's healed 2HP to put him at 2/12 HP so no, not yet unless he gets some medical help.
Then we should probably be extra careful around that sensor. I wonder who is monitoring the thing.

Is it worth Richard picking up more medical stuff than his current First Aid 12, do you think, or have Sean and Tariq got that covered? I feel like Richard should have something useful for these kinds of situations (as his current setup of social and fighting isn't so useful when we're alone), but I'm not sure what's useful, makes sense to pick up and isn't already decently covered (the alternative being picking up those physical skills I missed like Stealth and otherwise just getting better at what he's already doing).

Alternatively, once we're happy he's healed enough, he could start working on the broken guns to pick up Armoury with the same logic as Sean's Physician, since he's got gun skills already and decent IQ so that makes sense to me.

Armoury certainly seems like a way to go, especially if nobody has it (Sean does not). We have $1100 of broken guns and can make that $4400 by fixing. Also consider combat value of fully functional semi-auto guns. And we will probably encounter more broken guns in the future.

No strong opinion on the medical side of things. Sean's First Aid is just 12 too and Sean does not plan to raise it much, if at all. He does plan to raise Physician sooner or later (from 10 and up) and we probably don't need more of that.

As for other ideas. We might want everyone on skis sooner or later, unless we'll ride in a car, but since we don't have spare skis anyway, this means just having a point to spend some time in the future. One poit of Stealth would not hurt anyone. Maybe a point in Fast-Draw (Pistol), if you don't have it when we fix the guns. Neither of that would let Richard do anything, but maybe we'll have more opportunities to use skills untrained and pick up from there. So far, we have been missing Merchant, Throwing and Forced Entry, the first of which is certainly worth having (also social, though). Looking around, we might eventually want Hazardous Materials, NBC Suits (if there are ones to be found), Electronics Operations (Comm) when we fix it and unless we put Simone to do all comms work, Mechanic and eventually Driving if we are lucky enough. Maybe something else will pop up.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-12-21, 08:19 AM
See AtE2 page 34 for options about disabling the sensor.

Volthawk
2020-12-21, 09:21 AM
Armoury certainly seems like a way to go, especially if nobody has it (Sean does not). We have $1100 of broken guns and can make that $4400 by fixing. Also consider combat value of fully functional semi-auto guns. And we will probably encounter more broken guns in the future.

No strong opinion on the medical side of things. Sean's First Aid is just 12 too and Sean does not plan to raise it much, if at all. He does plan to raise Physician sooner or later (from 10 and up) and we probably don't need more of that.

As for other ideas. We might want everyone on skis sooner or later, unless we'll ride in a car, but since we don't have spare skis anyway, this means just having a point to spend some time in the future. One poit of Stealth would not hurt anyone. Maybe a point in Fast-Draw (Pistol), if you don't have it when we fix the guns. Neither of that would let Richard do anything, but maybe we'll have more opportunities to use skills untrained and pick up from there. So far, we have been missing Merchant, Throwing and Forced Entry, the first of which is certainly worth having (also social, though). Looking around, we might eventually want Hazardous Materials, NBC Suits (if there are ones to be found), Electronics Operations (Comm) when we fix it and unless we put Simone to do all comms work, Mechanic and eventually Driving if we are lucky enough. Maybe something else will pop up.

Alright, sounds close enough to what I was thinking. Richard does have Fast-Draw for both pistols and swords (for his baton). Armoury is definitely a priority, then - for the other technical skills, we all seem to be around IQ 12 so he's probably not going to be a much better or worse candidate than anyone else for them, but I'm willing to spend the CP if needed. He's probably a good choice to take Merchant though, given he's been the talker among the group (and mechanically, half reaction modifier is added to the roll and his Diplomacy can be used as a complementary skill).

Bossman, to check some points:
- How many rolls at default are needed before I can pick up Armoury with CP? Also, how far into negative HP are the guns?
- Was the encounter with the motorbike boys where we tried to hide (but Richard failed) enough to pick up a rank of Stealth?
- Were our dealings with the Waffle House merchants justification enough to pick up Merchant?

GnomesofZurich2
2020-12-21, 12:34 PM
That matches my accounting.

Speaking of food, Sean still has 23 rations when he wakes up on day 13, so might distribute some in case anyone is running low.

Tariq only has 4 rations plus 5 canned food, so he'll need some to get by.

I've got to run off to work, I'll post some more later.

u-b
2020-12-21, 12:48 PM
Okay, Sean hands out 9 rations to Tariq.

Volthawk
2020-12-21, 02:46 PM
Might it be worth making a google doc or something where we can post our inventories and keep updated for ease of distributing food and loot and keeping track of what we have collectively?

Shoot Da Moon
2020-12-21, 07:40 PM
Bossman, to check some points:
- How many rolls at default are needed before I can pick up Armoury with CP? Also, how far into negative HP are the guns?
- Was the encounter with the motorbike boys where we tried to hide (but Richard failed) enough to pick up a rank of Stealth?
- Were our dealings with the Waffle House merchants justification enough to pick up Merchant?

1) Just spend the Character Point/s, you've had enough time to study.
2) Yes.
3) Yes.

Volthawk
2020-12-21, 09:12 PM
1) Just spend the Character Point/s, you've had enough time to study.
2) Yes.
3) Yes.

Alright, so of the seven we've earned (I do have that right, don't I? Two from the bear, two from the slaves, three from getting to the station), that's 1 CP on Stealth at DX-1 (11), 2 CP on Merchant at IQ (12), and 4 CP on Armoury (Small Arms) at IQ+1 (13). Might switch the Merchant and Armoury spending, not sure yet, I'll sleep on it. Just need to check the repair rules in AtE and then I'll do some rolls.

So necessary repair parts are more valuable than the junk we have - unless we luck out and the workshop has some useful parts/junk, we're going to need to either cannibalise non-junk gear or leave one unrepaired for now until we get more parts.

u-b
2020-12-22, 01:33 AM
Might it be worth making a google doc or something where we can post our inventories and keep updated for ease of distributing food and loot and keeping track of what we have collectively?
I'm keeping track of it, but yeah, good idea to make it more publicly visible. Will do.

Might switch the Merchant and Armoury spending, not sure yet, I'll sleep on it.
How about you keep them both at 12 and leave two points spare? Because.

u-b
2020-12-22, 07:29 AM
Party Gear Spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UB2DfTqiFqjDXtfrV_eeewbZ6b7hVAdybZ5mxvMtPAI/edit?usp=sharing) is ready for review. Some blanks still to be filled in. In particular, you can fill in your personal gear, the sheet is editable.

Volthawk
2020-12-22, 10:29 AM
How about you keep them both at 12 and leave two points spare? Because.

Yeah, that's a reasonable alternative. Had a few other uses I was considering, so it'll be good to keep my options open a little for now.

Party Gear Spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UB2DfTqiFqjDXtfrV_eeewbZ6b7hVAdybZ5mxvMtPAI/edit?usp=sharing) is ready for review. Some blanks still to be filled in. In particular, you can fill in your personal gear, the sheet is editable.

Alright, I'll start inputting Richard's gear.

There we are, it's in.

GnomesofZurich2
2020-12-22, 04:10 PM
I don't have the time at the moment to populate the spreadsheet with all my stuff. I'm keeping one of the two crowbars I found, I now have 5 canned food and 10 rations, 4 15' lengths of fuse cord, 12 sticks of dynamite, 31 pistol and 4 rifle cartridges.

u-b
2020-12-23, 12:50 PM
...+2 bonus from the crowbar...
This made me actually look into the rules. And guess what I find there? The aforementioned +2 from the crowbar and the full bonus from Lifting ST. At least that's what it says regarding the doors AtE2 p33. So Sean might have succeeded, after all!

u-b
2020-12-23, 01:51 PM
(OOC: Anyone got Electrician or Electronics Operation skill?)
Sean only has a default of 7, but, if he can meaningfully take extra time, he might have some insight into this (I rolled a 10 in #156 (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24857054&postcount=156), which is a success with extra time for +4). At least, It might be possible to estimate which cables, if any, contain signals other than power (like the alarm should do, if it goes through here).

If that is already covered or otherwise does not do any good, I'm not sure what to do. Shutting down everything now seems a bit on the extreme side. Any thoughts from the group?

Shoot Da Moon
2020-12-25, 01:48 AM
Who is rolling the skill?
Because this is an important one, just a warning.

u-b
2020-12-25, 02:29 AM
Sean is highly hesitant to try poking at random, especially if his non-destructive examination does not yield any meaningful insight.

Are the cables external, ducted or solidly built into the walls? I'd like to estimate the possibility of tracing them all without disconnecting, whatever time it is going to take.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-12-25, 05:29 PM
Are the cables external, ducted or solidly built into the walls? I'd like to estimate the possibility of tracing them all without disconnecting, whatever time it is going to take.

Partially external and partially ducted.

u-b
2020-12-26, 03:30 AM
Then I propose Tariq and Simone spend the rest of the day trying to trace all those cables (two people should be enough to check ducted ones by pulling and looking; external should be simpler), but not disconnecting anything and not triggering any other traps. Meanwhile Sean will practice some medicine and tomorrow we will discuss it further.

By the way, does Simone have enough food on her? We have some to spare if she's running low.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-12-26, 09:51 AM
Simone's fine, perfectly fine.

Sean won't get to roll HT to recover HP today, BTW. But you knew that, and at least Richard still got his rest, IIRC.

Everybody mark off the rations for the day?

u-b
2020-12-26, 10:06 AM
Sean won't get to roll HT to recover HP today, BTW.
Yeah, not HT roll. The Physician roll success should still give +1 HP, right? I mean, it's not dependent on resting?

Shoot Da Moon
2020-12-26, 04:45 PM
Ah, you would have to attend to your wounds all the way through the day as well. And I'm not sure you get the benefits of Physician if you didn't also rest.

u-b
2020-12-27, 03:48 AM
Ah, you would have to attend to your wounds all the way through the day as well. And I'm not sure you get the benefits of Physician if you didn't also rest.
Okay. Than a related question: can I use Physician on both Sean and Richard while still counting it as a day of rest for Sean? If not, can I use it on Sean while still counting it as a day of rest for Sean?

And another question: did Tariq and Simone have any luck tracing the cables?

GnomesofZurich2
2020-12-27, 06:06 AM
Then I propose Tariq and Simone spend the rest of the day trying to trace all those cables (two people should be enough to check ducted ones by pulling and looking; external should be simpler), but not disconnecting anything and not triggering any other traps.

What skill are we rolling against? Tariq does have Traps-13 if he needs to try to detect any.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-12-27, 12:50 PM
What skill are we rolling against? Tariq does have Traps-13 if he needs to try to detect any.

That task is more of an Electrician skill roll.

GnomesofZurich2
2020-12-27, 02:41 PM
I don't have electrician, and rolling at default would be an 8, although taking extra time could improve that. This is probably a job where Simone should take the lead.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-12-27, 05:56 PM
Alright, I'll have Simone the NPC roll her skill.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-12-28, 12:35 PM
Rabbit's dead, 2 rations!

Shoot Da Moon
2020-12-29, 06:14 PM
Max impaling damage on a critical hit is pretty much an instant death.

40 more rations, weighing 40 lbs.

u-b
2020-12-31, 01:23 AM
Simone, meanwhile, has taken a closer look at the wires connected to the battery.
She reports that the cables connect to a few cameras in two corridors (which seem to connect to the base's computer), another motion sensor set up outside the locked down officer's quarters and some other device in a locked room that she didn't find.
Do we seem to have triggered any of those in the earlier days?

(OOC: There are still rooms in the base that the group has not searched. What kind of room would you like to look for?)
Not a specific kind. Just thinking of making sure we've searched everything we can safely reach. Assuming Simone can shut down the sensor outside the officer's quarters, what would be the DC to force the door open?

Shoot Da Moon
2020-12-31, 03:49 AM
Do we seem to have triggered any of those in the earlier days?
Not a specific kind. Just thinking of making sure we've searched everything we can safely reach. Assuming Simone can shut down the sensor outside the officer's quarters, what would be the DC to force the door open?

1) Nope.
2) She can shut down the sensor. The lock on the door is at -5 to pick. Its hardware is tougher than the lockers', and most of the base doors.

u-b
2020-12-31, 04:16 AM
(OOC: Mark off another 3 meals, everyone. I'm not sure if the two people can clear the rubble from the workshop entrance in under a day - it may take multiple days. What time did I give before? Are you both digging with shovels?)
(OOC: the file rooms are on the ground floor. The water is very cold and will probably freeze at night, melt during the day. Clearing the rubble by shovel would take 12 hours.)

I will subtract 12 rations from our group's small pile of meat.

We don't have shovels and I don't know how lacking them affects the clearing time. Most structural collapses I have seen had a fair share of large fraction suitable to be handled by hand. Also, we are not into "clearing the rubble" as much as into "clearing a (crawl)way through the rubble", which might or might not be assumed in the above time. In any case, 4 man-hours (no shovel) was spent yesterday.

Shoot Da Moon
2020-12-31, 04:26 PM
A four hour shift of clearing the rubble by hand would be enough to clear MOST of the way, just a little more work to get through...

But...see the IC thread.

u-b
2021-01-01, 05:10 AM
...his injuries were still not particularly healed despite Sean's efforts..."
You should roll for natural healing for day 14 too.

Volthawk
2021-01-01, 05:23 AM
Ah yeah, good catch. That gets Richard to 4/12 and out of Reeling, so if this does go south he's got his full move and dodge at least.

Shoot Da Moon
2021-01-01, 03:22 PM
The social roll works, the men are tentatively trusting.

Shoot Da Moon
2021-01-03, 08:40 PM
What are the rest of you doing while Simone is working and Sean is hunting?

Repairing the car in the garage? Searching the base? Getting into locked rooms?

Volthawk
2021-01-04, 07:10 AM
Richard's going to start working on the guns. To confirm, no extra junk/parts in the workshop?

u-b
2021-01-04, 07:26 AM
It seems we could machine them when we restore the power (I doubt that it could be done on battery). Where do we look the rules for machining? Found them on AtE2 p.40 under "Fabrication".

Volthawk
2021-01-04, 12:48 PM
Ah yeah, I hadn't considered the power situation, good point (I was assuming the machining was just explaining the usual $10 junk -> $1 parts exchange, but yeah it could be something else I suppose, although I don't have a rule in mind off the top of my head). Nevertheless, point is that Richard's priorities right now are getting better and sorting out the guns, so if there's anything he can do with the situation as it his, he'll do it.

Shoot Da Moon
2021-01-05, 06:10 AM
Richard's going to start working on the guns. To confirm, no extra junk/parts in the workshop?

Well, no-one has tried scavenging in the workshop yet. There could be parts and tools that would really help.

Ah yeah, I hadn't considered the power situation, good point (I was assuming the machining was just explaining the usual $10 junk -> $1 parts exchange, but yeah it could be something else I suppose, although I don't have a rule in mind off the top of my head). Nevertheless, point is that Richard's priorities right now are getting better and sorting out the guns, so if there's anything he can do with the situation as it his, he'll do it.

The junk is worth it's full value in parts, you're thinking of 10 lbs. per $1 of value.
Fabricating parts is a tough enough activity that you wouldn't get to heal wounds with rest that day. Unless you wanna dose yourself with the nanomachines, Richard is stuck in bed.

u-b
2021-01-05, 06:47 AM
Well, no-one has tried scavenging in the workshop yet. There could be parts and tools that would really help.
Oops. I thought we don't need to, given how everything is already neatly laid out and labeled. I think I'll scavenge it the first thing tomorrow, then. Related question: the rules in AtE allow for repeated attempts at -3, but I'm not sure if this rule is fit for room-sized areas or intended for something larger. If there is any use scavenging rooms multiple times, Sean might do that too.

GnomesofZurich2
2021-01-05, 04:34 PM
Who is best positioned to scavenge the workshop? Tariq has Scrounging 13, Search 12. If he or Richard would be better or at least as good as Sean, there's no need to wait until he's back from hunting.

Shoot Da Moon
2021-01-05, 08:14 PM
The large boar's meat is worth 200 meals (although you're definitely want to smoke them into jerky to preserve them), each weighing one pound.

u-b
2021-01-05, 11:55 PM
Who is best positioned to scavenge the workshop? Tariq has Scrounging 13, Search 12. If he or Richard would be better or at least as good as Sean, there's no need to wait until he's back from hunting.
Sean has 15 of each and is going to take extra time in an attempt to maximize the chance of Major Finds.

Shoot Da Moon
2021-01-06, 12:40 AM
Alright, roll it in the Dice Rolls thread. Good luck.

Volthawk
2021-01-06, 12:56 AM
Yeah, Richard's only got Search 12, so the two of you are better at this part of things than him.

u-b
2021-01-06, 06:07 AM
Made some rolls for tomorrow. Tactics and Physician are fails. All else are successful.

Shoot Da Moon
2021-01-07, 05:56 AM
Are we up to DAY 16, now?

Shoot Da Moon
2021-01-07, 06:22 AM
Oh, yeah, and while we're posting, since Sean made contact with Waffle House and completed the mission, everyone in the group gets 3 Character Points for the campaign milestone.

u-b
2021-01-07, 07:16 AM
Also, this seems like a perfect opportunity to attempt a re-rectuitment if you people feel like it. A second wave of exiles that were tentatively receved by the people of Waffle House or maybe of other backgrounds. It seems we have a few open slots, like a medic, and I don't know what else, but our tech is NPC so there's that.

Shoot Da Moon
2021-01-07, 11:12 PM
Also, this seems like a perfect opportunity to attempt a re-rectuitment if you people feel like it. A second wave of exiles that were tentatively receved by the people of Waffle House or maybe of other backgrounds. It seems we have a few open slots, like a medic, and I don't know what else, but our tech is NPC so there's that.

Meh. We already have three active PCs, and they all share a specific background.

u-b
2021-01-08, 04:17 AM
Beattie M2-2 flamethrower - $14400 ($1800x8), 72 lbs., High Tech page 179.
Woo, people! We are rich! Well, not yet, and we might have problems cashing in this flamethrower, but this one thing is 3/4 of our current combined wealth, not counting the nanomachines.

u-b
2021-01-08, 11:40 AM
I've written off 12 pounds of meat for day 16. Will wait for people to post their actions for days 16 and 17, then write for Sean's day 17 too. It will be mostly scrounging (a second pass of the whole base). Also, Sean thinks of his experiences scrounging the base and comes up with a few new ideas he would like to try (spending a point on Scrounging overnight).

Volthawk
2021-01-08, 12:30 PM
So to confirm, Richard can use the workshop currently is to do his Armourer things, and do they count as proper tools for the purpose of the repair roll modifier? If so, that'll be how he uses these days - those recent junk finds should set him up in good stead as far as parts go (posting the maths to make sure I haven't missed anything):

We have $570 of junk.
The SAA's base value is $500, modified up to 1000 for TL and down to 250 for being broken (didn't think that applied to repair costs, just value as parts but GM mentioned it when I rolled for costs at the same time as the TL adjustment so I suppose it does). I rolled 10% of base value for the major repair costs, so fixing it would cost $25.
The Government's base value is $850, modified up to 3400 for TL and down to 850 for being broken. I rolled 20% of base value for the major repair costs, so fixing it would would cost $170.
That means we can afford to fix both (the cost is only paid once rather than per roll) and still have a pile of junk left (total cost $195, so $375 worth left) to spare if we need it for anything else getting fixed. If being broken doesn't adjust base value like that (as my original interpretation), the costs go back up to $100 and $680, so we're back to the original plan of just fixing the SAA.

Do we have an idea of how many parts we'll need to fix the car? Considering using more junk than I worked out above to give a bonus to all the repair rolls, but that requires being sure about our other repair needs and checking in with everyone.

Also, just to make sure I have it right, each day working on this translates to eight hours of working time (for the purpose of taking extra time and the like)? Can you choose whether to take extra time or just roll more often (ie do I have to just roll once with the task extended to 8 hours for +4, or can I take eight rolls at 1 hour intervals for just +1 or some other breakdown)? Finally, how far into negative HP are the guns? Curious how much fixing is needed to get them back into working order (above their 1/3 HP threshold, I suppose, since we want them at full effectiveness).

Shoot Da Moon
2021-01-08, 08:48 PM
So to confirm, Richard can use the workshop currently is to do his Armourer things, and do they count as proper tools for the purpose of the repair roll modifier? If so, that'll be how he uses these days - those recent junk finds should set him up in good stead as far as parts go (posting the maths to make sure I haven't missed anything):

Do we have an idea of how many parts we'll need to fix the car? Considering using more junk than I worked out above to give a bonus to all the repair rolls, but that requires being sure about our other repair needs and checking in with everyone.

Also, just to make sure I have it right, each day working on this translates to eight hours of working time (for the purpose of taking extra time and the like)? Can you choose whether to take extra time or just roll more often (ie do I have to just roll once with the task extended to 8 hours for +4, or can I take eight rolls at 1 hour intervals for just +1 or some other breakdown)? Finally, how far into negative HP are the guns? Curious how much fixing is needed to get them back into working order (above their 1/3 HP threshold, I suppose, since we want them at full effectiveness).

The workshop is enough for pretty much any repair. BUT! Those broken guns, IIRC, only have 25% value for the purposes of trade or using them as parts. Repairs on the broken guns use the full value as if they weren't broken for the purposes of parts needed. You will need more parts than you have worked out.

You do not need anything else for fixing the car. All the stuff needed was dumped in the workshop by the previous occupant. All you need to do is roll.

You can choose extra time for one roll, or multiple rolls for short periods of work. It's your decision.
The guns are both about -1xHP. Major repairs will get them working again.

Volthawk
2021-01-08, 09:15 PM
The workshop is enough for pretty much any repair. BUT! Those broken guns, IIRC, only have 25% value for the purposes of trade or using them as parts. Repairs on the broken guns use the full value as if they weren't broken for the purposes of parts needed. You will need more parts than you have worked out.

Ah, yeah, so we can only fix the SAA for $100 dollars of junk (200 for +1 to the roll, 400 for +2).

You do not need anything else for fixing the car. All the stuff needed was dumped in the workshop by the previous occupant. All you need to do is roll.

Ah, gotcha. I feel better about using the junk more freely, then.

You can choose extra time for one roll, or multiple rolls for short periods of work. It's your decision.
The guns are both about -1xHP. Major repairs will get them working again.

Alright. So as 3lb machines, they have 6 HP, so for full effectiveness (above the 1/3 HP threshold) I need to restore 9 HP (more being better, of course, but that's enough to get it shooting properly without any issues). That should be doable.

Volthawk
2021-01-08, 09:35 PM
Alright, that first day had enough successes to fully repair the gun, so Richard's going to spend one of the two days resting - convenient, since looking at the dice roll thread I actually rolled healing for day 16 already in the post I did the IA roll and then forgot about it (hadn't applied it to my sheet), so the way it works out is day 16 resting (healing to 5) and day 17 fully repairing the gun (or vice versa), leaving him resting/free to do other things in future days.

That used up $200 of our junk pile, incidentally. Probably didn't need to use double junk, since I made the decision when I was misremembering the TL modifier as +1 rather than +3, which would've left more to hopefully get up to the Government's cost with this last bit of scavenging, but hey.

Shoot Da Moon
2021-01-09, 12:23 AM
Alright, that first day had enough successes to fully repair the gun, so Richard's going to spend one of the two days resting - convenient, since looking at the dice roll thread I actually rolled healing for day 16 already in the post I did the IA roll and then forgot about it (hadn't applied it to my sheet), so the way it works out is day 16 resting (healing to 5) and day 17 fully repairing the gun (or vice versa), leaving him resting/free to do other things in future days.

That used up $200 of our junk pile, incidentally. Probably didn't need to use double junk, since I made the decision when I was misremembering the TL modifier as +1 rather than +3, which would've left more to hopefully get up to the Government's cost with this last bit of scavenging, but hey.

Alright, just to make things clear, post in the IC thread that you've spent 8 hours of Day 16 repairing a gun. You don't get healing rest if you spent the day fixing a firearm.

Volthawk
2021-01-09, 12:50 AM
Alright, just to make things clear, post in the IC thread that you've spent 8 hours of Day 16 repairing a gun. You don't get healing rest if you spent the day fixing a firearm.

I suppose I should roll a new healing roll for day 17 (replacing the erroneous day 16 healing to), then?

Shoot Da Moon
2021-01-09, 01:20 AM
I suppose I should roll a new healing roll for day 17 (replacing the erroneous day 16 healing to), then?

Eh, we can keep the old roll for Day 17, assuming you survive the next day.

By the way, that scavenging in the officer's quarters turns up, in addition to the useful gear, is 3000 pounds of junk, worth $300. Just in case you guys missed that.

u-b
2021-01-09, 01:21 AM
...double parts (unless someone really doesn't want that to happen)...
No objection to this one, a RoF 3 handgun is a good thing to have. Writing off $200 of junk. As for the remaining junk, I don't think we should use it to fix the pistol, even if we find more of it. Steel parts could be machined when we restore the power, so it seems not the best idea to write off a huge pile of junk that could be better used for parts that cannot be machined (electronics, optics, etc.).

Who will take the repaired revolver? Richard? Tariq? I think we should have it on someone at all times, not just in a pile of loot.

By the way, that scavenging in the officer's quarters turns up, in addition to the useful gear, is 3000 pounds of junk, worth $300. Just in case you guys missed that.
Yep. Keeping track of it.

Eh, we can keep the old roll for Day 17, assuming you survive the next day.
Does this mean I should not issue a whole bunch of rolls for the day?

Volthawk
2021-01-09, 01:26 AM
Richard's best skill is Pistols (given it's what he's defaulting off for the rifle), and he currently doesn't have one after giving his old one to Tariq, so him using it is probably a good idea.

That said, has Tariq gotten a bigger gun than Richard's chargen revolver yet? If not, maybe he should have the SAA so he has something punchy (or he takes Richard's rifle and Richard keeps the SAA).

u-b
2021-01-09, 01:38 AM
Yeah, Tariq still has that cheap old gun. How about the following arrangement: Tariq gets the SAA, Richard gets both his old gun and Sean's rifle. So, Richard can make one rifle shot, then fast-draw some handgun. And Sean gets Richard's rifle, which is both more accurate and faster to reload. Objections?

Volthawk
2021-01-09, 01:44 AM
Yeah, Tariq still has that cheap old gun. How about the following arrangement: Tariq gets the SAA, Richard gets both his old gun and Sean's rifle. So, Richard can make one rifle shot, then fast-draw some handgun. And Sean gets Richard's rifle, which is both more accurate and faster to reload. Objections?

That sounds good to me. What about that shotgun we got?