PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 templates to turn a giant into a humanoid?

2020-09-29, 08:05 PM
Humanoids (and monstrous humanoids too, I guess) can get some pretty fun stuff, but it's one of the few types I can't figure out how to get my troll into. Savage-ritual-ing it into another race isn't really my thing, so I'm basically just looking at templates. Any ideas?

Yak folklore
2020-09-29, 08:19 PM
I couldn't find anything, but I recommend this in general: forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?281882-3-5-Master-Template-List-(sorted)
But what can a humanoid do that a giant can't really? A few templates sure, but almost all that include monstrous humanoids include giant too, and they practically have the same physiology for that kind of entry stuff. I'm too new to include a link, so just add the https at the beginning

2020-09-29, 08:31 PM
Hm, that's unfortunate. Nice resource, though!

Feral is the really big one for a melee-style monster, but half-doppelganger and half-janni also have some nice perks that I was looking at. Oh well I guess lol

Kalkra
2020-09-29, 08:49 PM
In theory, if you can get a Giant to medium size, then Dustform it then Incarnate Construct it, I think it'll be a Humanoid.

ShurikVch
2020-09-29, 08:53 PM
Tainted-Blood Creature (Bestiary Of Krynn, Revised) can change your Troll into Monstrous Humanoid for mere LA +1

Tree Troll from Dragon #299 is a Monstrous Humanoid as-is, but Small-sized (If it's unacceptable, you may up-size it with Half-Ogre template from Dragon #313)

Thurbane
2020-09-29, 09:20 PM
In theory, if you can get a Giant to medium size, then Dustform it then Incarnate Construct it, I think it'll be a Humanoid.

You could subject the Giant to a Return to Nature spell first, to reduce its size.

If you can somehow write into the Giant's backstory that it has human ancestry, the Human Heritage feat from RoD might work (it should work for a Half-Giant or Half-Ogre). Probably not for a Troll though.

Aside from what's been mentioned, the Ogre Titan template from Age of Mortals turns an Ogre (only) into a Monstrous Humanoid. Again, not much use for a Troll.

Body of War spell temporarily gives the Construct type, so you might combine that with Incarnate Construct - if you can somehow count as medium, you should become a Humanoid

daremetoidareyo
2020-09-29, 10:28 PM
Aspect of the wolf to gain animal type, followed by compression to go down from medium to small, create faux human (the standing stone adventure) and you become human. Easy as pie. 1 day casting time though, so get it as an SLA somehow.

Ruethgar
2020-09-30, 09:12 AM
If you can somehow write into the Giant's backstory that it has human ancestry, the Human Blooded feat from RoD might work (it should work for a Half-Giant or Half-Ogre). Probably not for a Troll though.

The Troll Blooded feat doesn’t require human, but the vast majority of the populations from those regions are human. Maybe you just got a bit more of the blood than your kin.

Thurbane
2020-09-30, 03:41 PM
The Troll Blooded feat doesn’t require human, but the vast majority of the populations from those regions are human. Maybe you just got a bit more of the blood than your kin.

Fair point. And the Half-Troll template is a thing, so Trolls can definitely breed with other species. Maybe your daddy was a full Troll, and your momma was a Half-Troll Human.

If you can Wrangle it, Human Heritage is probably the best way mechanically, since it doesn't wipe out your Troll racial abilities the way Incarnate Construct does.

You can enjoy your regeneration etc., and have access to things that are exclusive to Humanoids at the same time.

ShurikVch
2020-09-30, 04:08 PM
Aside from what's been mentioned, the Ogre Titan template from Age of Mortals turns an Ogre (only) into a Monstrous Humanoid. Again, not much use for a Troll.
Price of Courage have newer version of this template - now it says:

“Ogre titan” is an acquired template that can be added to any Medium or larger giant, humanoid, or monstrous humanoid with giant blood and a Constitution score of at least 12 (referred to hereafter as the base creature). Examples of eligible creatures are ogres, ogre mages, trolls, hags, half-ogres, Irda, and hill giants.
Thus, Ogre Titan Troll is technically possible (but LA +6 :smallannoyed:)

2020-09-30, 11:12 PM
Interesting solutions I've never heard of! Tainted-Blood seems like the easiest/cheapest method provided, but where is this "Human Blooded" thing that was mentioned?

Ruethgar
2020-09-30, 11:57 PM
Interesting solutions I've never heard of! Tainted-Blood seems like the easiest/cheapest method provided, but where is this "Human Blooded" thing that was mentioned?

It's Human Heritage not Human Blood. Races of Destiny, p. 152

Thurbane
2020-10-01, 12:31 AM

My bad, was misremembering the name.

ShurikVch
2020-10-01, 09:00 AM
Actually, Human Blood is a thing:

Human Blood [racial]
Your humanity dominates your ancestry.
Prerequisites: Partial human ancestry (such as half-elf or half-orc), must be taken at 1st level.
Benefit: You gain +1 skill point at 1st level and every level thereafter. For all effects relating to race, you are considered a human.

Ruethgar
2020-10-01, 11:18 AM
Actually, Human Blood is a thing:

Ooo that’s really nice. My characters are always starved for skill points and like hell I’m being Exalted for a Nymph.

2020-10-02, 04:49 PM
Hmmm... Both Human Blood and Human Heritage say that their human/humanoid treatment is for "effects". Are template restrictions considered "effects", though?

Thurbane
2020-10-02, 06:07 PM
Hmmm... Both Human Blood and Human Heritage say that their human/humanoid treatment is for "effects". Are template restrictions considered "effects", though?

Human Heritage contains this additional wording:

If you are not a humanoid, your type changes to humanoid and you gain the human subtype.

PoeticallyPsyco
2020-10-03, 02:10 AM
Not a template, but War Trolls have the Monstrous Humanoid type instead of the Giant type. Even if you use the LA Adjustment Thread's value, they still have a starting ECL of 13, though (12HD, +1LA).