PDA

View Full Version : How many snakes on a medusa's head?

eyebreaker7
2020-09-30, 12:11 AM
Looking at the picture I counted 18. Does it really matter? The MM looks like she only gets 1 attack with her snakes no matter how many there are?

Venger
2020-09-30, 03:36 AM
It varies depending on the piece of art and is not called out in the RAW. Unlike a beholder, each snake doesn't get an attack, so it is immaterial. She only gets one attack.

RedWarlock
2020-10-01, 01:13 PM
Looking at the picture I counted 18. Does it really matter? The MM looks like she only gets 1 attack with her snakes no matter how many there are?

This goes back to the old chestnut that a single attack is not the same as a single swing of the weapon.

In this case, the individual snakes don't get separate attacks any more than a Tyrannosaurus gets a separate attack for each tooth. It's all part of a larger attack action and can't be split.

eyebreaker7
2020-10-01, 02:07 PM
I was just curious how many I need to cut off :)

Venger
2020-10-01, 02:36 PM
Unlike a hydra, there are no rules for you to sunder a medusa's snakes. Even if you disintegration finessed all her snakes, she would still have all her powers.

eyebreaker7
2020-10-01, 02:39 PM
Yea I know, I was just looking for some flavor play to cutting the heads off. It's not the snakes that give her the gaze attack.

daremetoidareyo
2020-10-01, 03:07 PM
Yea I know, I was just looking for some flavor play to cutting the heads off. It's not the snakes that give her the gaze attack.

Medusae are proficient in snakes as weapons. They can just pick up the severed pieces, poke her fingers inside them and use them as melee finger puppets.

SirNibbles
2020-10-01, 06:26 PM
Medusae are proficient in snakes as weapons. They can just pick up the severed pieces, poke her fingers inside them and use them as melee finger puppets.

Snakes don't have a listed damage type (pierce/slash/bludgeon, etc.) which technically makes them untyped, right? Surely that can be used advantageously. On the other hand, it's not a bite attack so you don't benefit from abilities which enhance (poisonous) bite attacks.

daremetoidareyo
2020-10-01, 06:48 PM
Snakes don't have a listed damage type (pierce/slash/bludgeon, etc.) which technically makes them untyped, right? Surely that can be used advantageously. On the other hand, it's not a bite attack so you don't benefit from abilities which enhance (poisonous) bite attacks.

I think they're improvised weapons that you're proficient in? So size and damage type is ad hoc. Are you tying snakes together by their tongues and wielding them like nunchucks? Bludgeoning.