PDA

View Full Version : Battlesmith player wants a motorcycle - is it feasible?

Heavenblade
2020-09-30, 01:10 AM
So, I started running an eberron mystery adventure to a couple of friends, cleverly named "Slaughter on the Orien express" :smalltongue:

One of the players is playing a battlesmith from house cannith. After the last battle, he told me that he felt his steel defender didnt DO enough (as shown by the fact that he had him in the first battle, in the second one he sent him away, and there wasnt any difference in his effectiveness/power level.).

He asked me if he could get an "alternative" mode for the steel defender - a motorcycle. In this mode the defender cannot attack, but he can ride it (despite being a human), and it might get a speed boost or something.

Do you think its a good solution? If so, is it ok for him to get it "for free", or should he pay with an infusion/feat?

Tawmis
2020-09-30, 01:14 AM
So he's asking for the Paladin "Find Steed/Mount" ability pretty much?

Side note - there's a thread about buffing Steel Defenders here:
https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?619663-Ways-to-buff-your-Steel-Defender

Heavenblade
2020-09-30, 01:43 AM
Kinda...but getting a medium sized, high ac-hp mount, as an additional mode for an extra combatant

JackalTornMoons
2020-09-30, 06:13 AM
What was he using his bonus action on that allowed him to not drop in "effectiveness"?

da newt
2020-09-30, 10:03 AM
As DM, I'd let him ride his SD using the controlled mount rules (the mount can only Dash, Disengage, or Dodge) and it keeps it's normal movement speed. If the PC dismounts, the SD acts normally. If the PC decides to use the Dash every round, it's plenty fast.

I feel this is balanced because any PC can buy a mule for the same benefit.

Pex
2020-09-30, 10:12 AM
What was he using his bonus action on that allowed him to not drop in "effectiveness"?

I'm curious too. I'm playing a Battle Smith, not an Eberron game if it matters, and the Defender has been amazing. The attack damage isn't a lot, nor should it be, but it is a nice little extra. I'm now 5th level getting three attacks a round which is a big deal. Before then two attacks was amazing. Giving an enemy Disadvantage on one attack has saved many a party member by turning a hit into a miss, sometimes a critical hit into a miss. In character I'm annoyed when the bad guys attack it, but out of character it's great because the Defender can be repaired easily and every attack against it is an attack not against a PC. I've been quite happy with it.

Heavenblade
2020-09-30, 11:10 AM
He doesnt use his bonus actions for much - and yeah, from an optimization PoV it is always better to have *something* to do, but practically...it doesn't add much in a way he feels is "active" enough.

Regarding the mule thing -
1. SD is medium
2. If he he mounts the SD its a free repairable mount with high survivability.

Terebin
2020-09-30, 11:25 AM
Kinda...but getting a medium sized, high ac-hp mount, as an additional mode for an extra combatant

I'd let him do it but require a long rest to switch between modes. (Like you are already allowed to do to change the SD's form)

Anonymouswizard
2020-09-30, 01:25 PM
Just letting them have a Large Steel Defender wouldn't break the game, it's a bit of a power boost but not enough to destroy balance. If it's too much for you bundle it with some other features (enhanced SD movement speed? Greater SD carrying capacity?) and charge them an infusion or feet for it. I'd allow it for free, generally because it starts to become a pain to take the SD everywhere, have fun getting it through the sewers to battle the goblin general, but your game style would change if that mattered or not.

jaappleton
2020-09-30, 01:31 PM
Would a motorcycle be feasible in Eberron?

I say yes, it's a very high magic world full of inventions and wonders.

Would it be fun? Talk to your table. Just be aware that making exceptions for one player could lead to the, "Well they got _______!" down the road. Or it might not. But you must understand that you're opening that door.

Is it balanced? I refer to my previous point. IMO fun > balance, so long as everyone at the table is having fun. Don't give someone more fun at someone else's expense.

MeeposFire
2020-09-30, 10:10 PM
I was hoping that the race was not chosen yet as I was going to recommend playing a small race like a halfling or my favorite a kobold. That way they could ride the defender straight up.

Pex
2020-09-30, 11:40 PM
The motorcycle is a glorified mount of a special effect. In my Paladin game the DM didn't care for my Find Steed Mount getting its own attacks or Helping me giving my Paladin automatic Advantage on one attack every turn. As a house rule he allowed me to use the Mount's speed as it moves on its turn which is essentially my turn. It's a glorified Fast Movement class feature giving me 60 ft of movement every turn, even 120 ft as the Mount can still Dash as its action. Because that's all it can do in return the bad guys will never attack it, only me, and it's not affected by area effect spells. Difficult terrain still counts, spell or not, but it never takes damage from anything or otherwise suffer a condition. Having such movement is still a powerful thing giving me great flexibility to move about the battlefield, but it hasn't let me dominate the combat. Mileage likely varies if other DMs could tolerate a PC having such speed, but if you do it this way the player will have his fun without unbalancing the game. It's not that much different than a PC doing a range attack at 120 ft. There are differences, yes, but not overwhelming.

micahaphone
2020-09-30, 11:58 PM
1) That's genius and a kickass idea

2)If anything I feel like that's a slight downgrade in power. Increased mobility in exchange for damage, opportunity attacks, enemy debuff, tanking that's a lot to trade away.

I'd stick with Da Newt's point, it only can dash/disengage/dodge.

I'd let them shift it between forms with a short rest. What form is it in now? For example,if his steel defender is a wolf/tiger/scary quadraped, in that form it'd have 2 tires on its side like saddlebags, but when he spends some time tinkering, he morphs it into a bike. That way, when it's a bad idea to have a kickass bike (going through sewers or intrigue on an airship) he can still change it back to the bestial form but not as an on-the-fly kind of thing. Or maybe later he can make it into an on-the-fly move, as an upgrade!

This makes me think of cool ridiculous sci fi weapons, like explosive tipped lances from 40k or the original Clone Wars show.

SpikeFightwicky
2020-10-01, 02:55 PM
Keep in mind that Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus actually has motorcycles in it (albeit with an infernal spin). You can take that and give more of a tech spin than hell spin as possible inspiration. (Specifically "Devil's Ride", which is the motorcycle - most of them have a very Mad Max feel to them).