PDA

View Full Version : Convert touch spell to aoe

Venger
2020-09-30, 01:20 AM
Is there a way to do this? If so, how?

Troacctid
2020-09-30, 01:22 AM
Convert it to a ray, then use Chain Spell?

Venger
2020-09-30, 01:39 AM
Since the touch spell has a target line, that would certainly be a way of affecting multiple targets. The reason I'd like an aoe specifically is I want to turn a spell whose range is normally touch into an aoe to be used with arcane archer's imbued arrow.

Troacctid
2020-09-30, 01:59 AM
Ah, and presumably this is a spell that you can't simply put in a spell-storing arrow. It may be impossible, then.

Venger
2020-09-30, 02:08 AM
The spell in its natural state is a 5th (it's for a potential showcase hence my coyness. I want you and everyone else to be surprised if we can figure it out.) Is there anything aside from sanctum spell that can lower the level of a spell for such purposes? Ideally it'd stack with sanctum to get it down to a 3rd. I thought about master alchemist to get 5th level potions and then turning them into spellvials via alchemist savant, but alchemist savant hardcaps you at 3rds unfortunately.

flappeercraft
2020-09-30, 02:11 AM
Two ways that I know of. Convert to a ray, then either through Ray Coning metamagic or the Lens of Ray Widening

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-09-30, 10:53 AM
Hallow and unhallow. Note that the lists provided in the spells themselves are inclusionary, not exclusionary, and that some of the spells included are touch spells. Combine with planar bubble and an acorn of far travel spell to fill the planar bubble area with the (un)hallow effect at will. Even better with Sculpt Spell on the planar bubble, as well as multiple (un)hallow effects in the plane you're planar bubble'ing. It's fairly easy to use Sculpt Spell on (un)hallow to turn it into a vertical line to shove a ton of effects into the small area under the oak tree you're acorn of far travel'ing. The biggest issue here is that you need to be inside the (un)hallow's AoE in order for those in the planar bubble to affect things in its AoE. Done well enough by immunity to whatever you're using, although that might be tricky, depending on the specific effect.

Also guards and wards, although it's very limited in the spells you can use this way.

There's the lens of ray widening (from Lords of Madness), which is basically a contact lens (or perhaps a monocle, if you want to fluff it like that) worn over one of the eyes that can turn rays into cone AoEs upon casting, so use Ocular Spell to use it that way.

Nihilarian
2020-09-30, 06:37 PM
The spell in its natural state is a 5th (it's for a potential showcase hence my coyness. I want you and everyone else to be surprised if we can figure it out.) Is there anything aside from sanctum spell that can lower the level of a spell for such purposes? Ideally it'd stack with sanctum to get it down to a 3rd. I thought about master alchemist to get 5th level potions and then turning them into spellvials via alchemist savant, but alchemist savant hardcaps you at 3rds unfortunately.the only method i know of to lower spell levels is the Ambient Tempest from Bestiary of Krynn, but i understand that a lot of people dont like using DL books because they're endorsed by instead of written by WotC

Venger
2020-09-30, 08:22 PM
Yeah, we don't use 3rd party stuff for that reason. What page is it on? I couldn't find it in that book.

Nihilarian
2020-09-30, 09:59 PM
Yeah, we don't use 3rd party stuff for that reason. What page is it on? I couldn't find it in that book.Page 134. It's a prestige class, if that wasn't clear