PDA

View Full Version : Power Rangers 5E is happening

jaappleton
2020-09-30, 09:07 AM
https://www.renegadegamestudios.com/news/hasbro-partnership-gi-joe-my-little-pony

Power Rangers for D&D 5E is happening.

Hasbro has used other IPs to expand the D&D market for awhile now. Rick & Morty, Stranger Things, etc.

And I have fully expected them to eventually push that same mentality with their other Hasbro owned IPs as well, as they have been doing with Magic: The Gathering.

So here it comes, starting with Power Rangers. And it certainly sounds like GI Joe, My Little Pony, and others won't be far behind.

Waazraath
2020-09-30, 09:14 AM
https://www.renegadegamestudios.com/news/hasbro-partnership-gi-joe-my-little-pony

Hasbro has used other IPs to expand the D&D market for awhile now. Rick & Morty, Stranger Things, etc.

And I have fully expected them to eventually push that same mentality with their other Hasbro owned IPs as well, as they have been doing with Magic: The Gathering.

So here it comes, starting with Power Rangers. And it certainly sounds like GI Joe, My Little Pony, and others won't be far behind.

It aint no april is it?

Oh well, bugger it, let it come. Then I want my 5e Transformers as well, for nostagia's sake.

Dienekes
2020-09-30, 09:16 AM
So they’re just trying to make MTG the failed ARC system now. That’s a little disappointing actually.

But anyway weird D&D. I will look at them like I look at the MTG books, hopefully they will have a kernel of a mechanic I can develop on my own. The mythic monster idea in Theros is great and I’ve pillaged it for ideas in my own campaign, the religion system is a neat idea that can be easily altered to form any institutional loyalty.

I admit, I’m not seeing much I would want from a Power Rangers book. Megazords I will not be using. But there’s a chance that the shows martial arts focus will get them to finally develop an interesting martial combat mechanic I can use.

Hey a man can dream.

jaappleton
2020-09-30, 09:25 AM
By the end of this, any table that allows "all officially published content" can have a party of:

Half Elf Bard
Snake Eyes
Bumblebee
Twilight Sparkle
Green Ranger

And it'd all be legitimately content.

I say: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/92/60/85/92608568516b3772dad7615366637928.gif

Arkhios
2020-09-30, 09:31 AM
I don't see anything that links this news explicitly to D&D 5th edition. There are plenty of other Roleplaying Games currently at their 5th edition, not just D&D. Vampire: The Masquerade for one.

Care to elaborate what makes you think this 5th Edition compatibility refers to D&D?

Unoriginal
2020-09-30, 09:40 AM

As if we needed anything to add to the public's perception that D&D players are nothing but teenagers with attitude.

Joke aside, I am both:

-saddened by the fact Hasbro/WotC has decided to forget the lesson the 3.X era punched them in the face with about how D&D is NOT an universal system and shouldn't be approached as one.

-amazed at the pants-on-head, deliciously cheesy craziness this will bring.

So I can't help but laugh and say "bring it."

The mythic monster idea in Theros is great and I’ve pillaged it for ideas in my own campaign, the religion system is a neat idea that can be easily altered to form any institutional loyalty.

So one could say you used it to make your monsters grow?

I don't see anything that links this news explicitly to D&D 5th edition. There are plenty of other Roleplaying Games currently at their 5th edition, not just D&D. Vampire: The Masquerade for one.

Care to elaborate what makes you think this 5th Edition compatibility refers to D&D?

Vampire: The Masquerade isn't owned by Hasbro, nor are those other RPGs. To my knowledge, at least.

jaappleton
2020-09-30, 09:42 AM

....Common sense?

What part of partnering "expanding partnership with WOTC" and "First up will be a 5th Edition compatible Power Rangers Role Playing Game" is vague here?

Imbalance
2020-09-30, 09:43 AM
Personally, I actively dislike Power Rangers, but I know what a juggernaut the brand has been. And Hasbro is just Hasbro, looking for returns on that half-billion investment. I guess I have to admit surprise that this didn't happen sooner.

Unoriginal
2020-09-30, 09:46 AM
By the end of this, any table that allows "all officially published content" can have a party of:

Half Elf Bard
Snake Eyes
Bumblebee
Twilight Sparkle
Green Ranger

At least we can finally have Twilight Sparkle as a Celestial Warlock.

Arkhios
2020-09-30, 09:51 AM
....Common sense?

What part of partnering "expanding partnership with WOTC" and "First up will be a 5th Edition compatible Power Rangers Role Playing Game" is vague here?

The link you provided in the OP has a whole zero mentions of WOTC, Wizards of the Coast or Dungeons & Dragons. As far as I can see, 5th edition compatible Power Ranges Role Playing Game could refer to any role playing game. Yes, it could be D&D, but just as well it could be some other game. Vampire 5th edition was only an example of another RPG that has a 5th edition. D&D is not the only one, that's what I'm saying.

KorvinStarmast
2020-09-30, 09:51 AM
Power Rangers for D&D 5E is happening. Not a thing I ever got into nor cared for, and neither of my kids latched onto to it, so this leaves me cold. For those who like MMPR, cool, fun the heck out of it. :smallsmile:

Darksun? For that I might get excited.

I am with Unoriginal on this point:

... the lesson the 3.X era punched them in the face with about how D&D is NOT an universal system and shouldn't be approached as one. Yep. How soon they forget...

As far as I can see, 5th edition compatible Power Ranges Role Playing Game could refer to any role playing game. Yes, it could be D&D, but just as well it could be some other game. Vampire 5th edition was only an example of another RPG that has a 5th edition. Heh, MMPR and VtM? Interesting hybrid of concepts, to be sure.

I am still waiting for that movie where Wesley Snipes/Blade meets the emo-Vampires of the Twilight series. :smallbiggrin:

jaappleton
2020-09-30, 10:04 AM
The link you provided in the OP has a whole zero mentions of WOTC, Wizards of the Coast or Dungeons & Dragons. As far as I can see, 5th edition compatible Power Ranges Role Playing Game could refer to any role playing game. Yes, it could be D&D, but just as well it could be some other game. Vampire 5th edition was only an example of another RPG that has a 5th edition. D&D is not the only one, that's what I'm saying.

Name another Hasbro owned property, aside from WOTC, that has a 5th Edition role playing game.

{scrubbed}

Unoriginal
2020-09-30, 10:17 AM
Yep. How soon they forget...

Well, arguably it wasn't "soon", it took them two editions and the better part of two decades.

My guess is that a new set of corporate suit took over and decided to make the grand announcement last week or so that Hasbro would be doubling the money it's betting on that whole RPG thing, without realizing what they were doing.

In other words:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/63/e8/7f/63e87f238e4316aa838830439e6691c1.gif

jaappleton
2020-09-30, 10:22 AM
Well, arguably it wasn't "soon", it took them two editions and the better part of two decades.

My guess is that a new set of corporate suit took over and decided to make the grand announcement last week or so that Hasbro would be doubling the money it's betting on that whole RPG thing, without realizing what they were doing.

In other words:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/63/e8/7f/63e87f238e4316aa838830439e6691c1.gif

First: Yes more Willy Wonka gifs, please. Gene Wilder only.

Secondly, to be clear, although I made the topic regarding the boss saying they want to double the revenue over the next 5 years, that was stated back in February, IIRC during a shareholders meeting. I just never saw it. Unless you're referring to a different statement?

Tawmis
2020-09-30, 10:30 AM
This tragically confirms it...
https://www.geeknative.com/96553/power-ranger-d-g-i-joe-transformers-and-my-little-pony-games-planned/

Amechra
2020-09-30, 10:34 AM
I feel like this is the only appropriate response. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n5E7feJHw0&ab_channel=darkchia00)

Satori01
2020-09-30, 10:36 AM
Name another Hasbro owned property, aside from WOTC, that has a 5th Edition role playing game.

{scrub the post, scrub the quote}

That doesn't make it an "Official" product...this is a deal for a Third Party Producer to secure the licensing rights to Hasbro IP.

Not WotC IP...and there is a difference, subtle as it may be.

Yes, the 5e referred to is D&D, but the SRD already exists.

3PP is already produced, that has nothing to do with Hasbro or WotC, beyond what is available for public use in the SRD.

Wasn't there a DC comic that made a 5e Compatible RPG book?

jaapleton, per your other Thread, if this were part of the forthcoming surge of products, we would expect to see WotC handle it. WotC is not though, this is a mere Licensing Deal.

jaapleton, has stated that they started D&D with 5e.

Game Designer Jonathan Tweet once penned a great article about the demise of TSR. Overproducing product and product lines, can split your customer base and destroy profitability.

This is what happened to TSR.

Why did it happen?
It happened because D&D became Super Popular in the 1980s, and the company recklessly produced vast quantities of a bunch (really a bunch) of different stuff.

If Hasbro has no concern about D&D's future, and about the capacity of the customer base to absorb new product, a short term strategy of:
"More Product, MORE SALES"....
....……….....................................Can kill a game.

Most people that have played D&D, are playing D&D, or will play D&D are likely going to be casual players...that will also stop buying D&D products, at some point.

Hasbro might very well be planning to harvest as much money as possible before the game's death. I'm not saying that is likely but, mismanagement is possible....just Look at Easter Island...(or the country below Canada, but above Mexico).

jaappleton
2020-09-30, 10:43 AM
That doesn't make it an "Official" product...this is a deal for a Third Party Producer to secure the licensing rights to Hasbro IP.

Not WotC IP...and there is a difference, subtle as it may be.

Yes, the 5e referred to is D&D, but the SRD already exists.

3PP is already produced, that has nothing to do with Hasbro or WotC, beyond what is available for public use in the SRD.

Wasn't there a DC comic that made a 5e Compatible RPG book?

As per you other post, if this were part of the surge of products, he would expect to see WotC handle it. WotC is not though, this is a mere Licensing Deal.

jaapleton, has stated that they started D&D with 5e.

Game Designer Jonathan Tweet once penned a great article about the demise of TSR. Overproducing product and product lines, can split your customer base and destroy profitability.

This is what happened to TSR.

Why did it happen, because D&D became Super Popular in the 1980s, and the company recklessly produced vast quantities of a bunch of a bunch of different stuff.

If Hasbro has no concern about D&D's future, and about the capacity of the customer base to absorb new product, a short term strategy of:
"More Product, MORE SALES"....
....……….....................................Can kill a game.

Most people that have played D&D, are playing D&D, or will play D&D are likely going to be casual players...that will also stop buying D&D products.

Hasbro might very well be planning to harvest as much money as possible before the game's death. I'm not saying that is likely but, mismanagement is possible....just Look at Easter Island...(or the country below Canada, but above Mexico).

Emphasis mine.

Not sure how long you've been attempting to compile information on me, but I started with 4E. Not 5E.

Additionally, Hasbro, as the parent company of WOTC, would be the ones to make this announcement. Not WOTC.

Specifically in what universe would it make sense for Hasbro, which owns WOTC and therefore owns D&D, to have this partnership but not make it an official product?

You are aware crossovers exist specifically to get people interested in the other thing, right? Like the Rick & Morty crossover was so D&D fans might get into R&M, and R&M fans might get into D&D. That's very specifically why these business deals are done, they are done for giggles.

EggKookoo
2020-09-30, 10:44 AM
MMPR is good material to make into a game.

But I'm more intrigued by a Transformers 5e...

TrueAlphaGamer
2020-09-30, 10:45 AM
Honestly. Good. Anything is better than more MtG crossovers at this point.

Haven't watched Power Rangers since the early 2000s when I was a kid, but I hope they make something good.

With the trend of adding new whacky character creation options in the last few books, I can totally see them having some sort of Boon system depending on what ranger color the players choose. Maybe there's going to be a new way of segmenting adventures, in a sort of school life/after school dichotomy. Roleplay and interact with NPCs during the day and then fight monsters at night.

IDK if they'll continue on transferring things like the Cartoon Horse Program or GI Joe into 5e, though. They'll probably want to have a wait-and-see approach depending on how the Power Rangers product will sell/push the brand.

Gryndle
2020-09-30, 10:51 AM
Personally, I actively dislike Power Rangers, but I know what a juggernaut the brand has been. And Hasbro is just Hasbro, looking for returns on that half-billion investment. I guess I have to admit surprise that this didn't happen sooner.

I'm with ya. I opened my dojo in the mid 90's with a friend of mine, who was ex military. He taught the guys, while I focused on women's & children's self defense. I was constantly having to break bad habits and expectations from kids who thought the power rangers moves were the real thing. that may have actually tested my patience more than any of my own training.

Yeah, I loathe the power rangers.

Satori01
2020-09-30, 11:04 AM
Emphasis mine.

Not sure how long you've been attempting to compile information on me, but I started with 4E. Not 5E.

Additionally, Hasbro, as the parent company of WOTC, would be the ones to make this announcement. Not WOTC.

Specifically in what universe would it make sense for Hasbro, which owns WOTC and therefore owns D&D, to have this partnership but not make it an official product?

You are aware crossovers exist specifically to get people interested in the other thing, right? Like the Rick & Morty crossover was so D&D fans might get into R&M, and R&M fans might get into D&D. That's very specifically why these business deals are done, they are done for giggles.

My apologies I misremembered the edition you started with. I also want to point out, that you posted your D&D curriculum vitae in this public forum, since you just made my paying attention to your posts, creepy.

(Thanks for that, BTW. :)....Should I just not read your posts?)

When I was a teenager back in the late 80's/ Early 90's, I, just like you are now, would respond back with idealism and say "why would any well run business recklessly endanger themselves?"

The answer, that life and history teaches is: sometimes business that appear to be well run are not.

Hopefully that is not the case, now....but it was the case for TSR.

Go read, research and confirm the history, for yourself.

I lived through it. So denying that what I am describing actually happened, is rude.

Also TSR did not license their IP....the company- in house produced FR, Dark Sun, Planescape, Spelljammer, Dragonlance, Mystara, and a whole host of other D&D worlds.....TSR produced so many different lines of D&D that fans split off and only bought what they were invested in. Instead of books like the PHB, that everyone buys....you get books that only sell to a fraction of the D&D audience.

If that is handled poorly, profitability will suffer, and did suffer for TSR.

Hopefully Hasbro will fare better, but never assume past success automatically translates to future success.

KorvinStarmast
2020-09-30, 11:07 AM
Most people that have played D&D, are playing D&D, or will play D&D are likely going to be casual players...that will also stop buying D&D products, at some point. Or slow their rate of purchase.

Hasbro might very well be planning to harvest as much money as possible before the game's death. If I may misquote Mark Twain: the reports of D&D's (looming) demise are greatly exaggerated.

jaappleton
2020-09-30, 11:07 AM
My apologies I misremembered the edition you started with. I also want to point out, that you posted your D&D curriculum vitae in this public forum, since you just made my paying attention to your posts, creepy.

(Thanks for that, BTW. :)....Should I just not read your posts?)

When I was a teenager back in the late 80's/ Early 90's, I, just like you are now, would respond back with idealism and say "why would any well run business recklessly endanger themselves?"

At no point did I ask any of that.

Additionally, I'm 32.

See Tawmis's post already confirming that this is officially happening, like it or not.

Satori01
2020-09-30, 11:11 AM
Or slow their rate of purchase.
If I may misquote Mark Twain: the reports of D&D's (looming) demise are greatly exaggerated.

I certainly hope so, but history is a useful sign post for the future.

Unoriginal
2020-09-30, 11:13 AM
This tragically confirms it...
https://www.geeknative.com/96553/power-ranger-d-g-i-joe-transformers-and-my-little-pony-games-planned/

2020 really seems like the year we entered a world of pure imagination.

Secondly, to be clear, although I made the topic regarding the boss saying they want to double the revenue over the next 5 years, that was stated back in February, IIRC during a shareholders meeting. I just never saw it. Unless you're referring to a different statement?

Oh fair, I thought it was more recent than that.

In spirit of the thread's topic, though, here's a little song:

Uno rigi nalpety doo
I've got a perfect puzzle for you
Uno rigi nalpety dee
If you are wise you'll listen to me

What do you get when new crossovers hit
Fitting as much as our big clown shoes fit
Players aghast, Mighty Morphin' cast
That money sink will come dow fast
I don't like the look of it

Uno rigi nalpety da
If you're that greedy, you won't go far
You will regret 2020 too
Like the Uno rigi nalpety do
Nalpety do

Millstone85
2020-09-30, 11:15 AM
For the record, G4 MLP already has an official TRPG:

https://riverhorse.eu/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Tails-of-Equestria-the-Storytelling-Game-705x588.png

Of course, we are currently in G4.5, which I have yet to dare watching (looks like Teen Titans Go! and ThunderCats Roar), with G5 on the way.

Satori01
2020-09-30, 11:17 AM
At no point did I ask any of that.

Additionally, I'm 32.

See Tawmis's post already confirming that this is officially happening, like it or not.

Great, then you have excellent research skills and can look up the Jonathan Tweet article...it is a good read.

Folks, you seem to be reading my caution as disapproval.
It is not.

I am happy for an expanded release schedule. I am happy for more D&D worlds, but there is also risk.

I also standby my impression, that this is a 3PP Licensing Deal.

Edit: I wish there were "Thumbs up" buttons..unoriginal's song made me guffaw!

Boci
2020-09-30, 11:20 AM
I also standby my impression, that this is a 3PP Licensing Deal.

"Renegade Games Studios who have a partnership with Hasbro for the 2018 Renegade Game Studios Power Rangers: Heroes of The Grid board game today announced an expansion of that relationship.

The first game from the pair will be the Power Rangers Role Playing Game which will use Dungeon & Dragon’s 5e system, which Hasbro owns through Wizards of the Coast. Renegade have their own systems in games like Outbreak, Overlight, and the popular Kids on Bikes but these won’t be used for Power Rangers."

That sounds a little more official to me.

Amnestic
2020-09-30, 11:24 AM
Monk subclass Way of the Sentai lets goooooooooooooooooooooo.

Tawmis
2020-09-30, 11:25 AM
Of course, we are currently in G4.5, which I have yet to dare watching (looks like Teen Titans Go! and ThunderCats Roar), with G5 on the way.

With a D20 & DM Screen.

https://www.geeknative.com/76660/the-leaked-cutie-marks-dragons-dd-my-little-pony-mashup-officially-launches/

https://images-geeknative-com.exactdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/24162756/cutie-marks-and-dragons.jpg?strip=all&lossy=1&w=697&ssl=1&is-pending-load=1

Unoriginal
2020-09-30, 11:27 AM

https://riverhorse.eu/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Tails-of-Equestria-the-Storytelling-Game-705x588.png

Yeah, that kind of makes that move of theirs pretty puzzling aside from the "get the D&D 5e audience" factor (since unlike say, Transformers, there already is an outlet for MLP fans who like RPGs).

Of course, we are currently in G4.5, which I have yet to dare watching (looks like Teen Titans Go! and ThunderCats Roar)

I tried watched it, it's very much Teen Titan Go! level.

with G5 on the way.

Eagerly waiting for it.

KorvinStarmast
2020-09-30, 11:31 AM
The first game from the pair will be the Power Rangers Role Playing Game which will use Dungeon & Dragon’s 5e system, which Hasbro owns through Wizards of the Coast. Renegade have their own systems in games like Outbreak, Overlight, and the popular Kids on Bikes but these won’t be used for Power Rangers."

That sounds a little more official to me. Does these take us to a 5e book, or, a separate game kind of like the d20 Modern or d20 Traveller or something like that? :smallconfused:

Satori01
2020-09-30, 11:33 AM

"Renegade Games Studios who have a partnership with Hasbro for the 2018 Renegade Game Studios Power Rangers: Heroes of The Grid board game today announced an expansion of that relationship.

That sounds a little more official to me.

Official in the sense that Hasbro is insisting Renegade Games use the 5e rule set.

This may include the option to use more features then just the 5e SRD. Unless we see the contract, or more details come out...we are all, (myself included), speculating around the edges of the press release.

Monte Cook Games insisted that the 3PP producer that is making the Diamond Throne re-release use the Cypher Rules system, despite, the 3PP really wanting to use the 5e SRD.

Of course Hasbro wants as many games to use the 5e ruleset as possible, it helps not fragment the marketplace, which they currently Dominate.

MinotaurWarrior
2020-09-30, 11:33 AM
This increases the likelihood of a 6e in ~2023. This is late stage supplement treadmill stuff.

jaappleton
2020-09-30, 11:36 AM
Unless we see the contract, or more details come out...we are all, (myself included), speculating around the edges of the press release.

No, you're just grasping at straws that you're not wrong.

You shot your shot. You missed. Move on.

Boci
2020-09-30, 11:36 AM
Official in the sense that Hasbro is insisting Renegade Games use the 5e rule set.

The conversation you jumped involved jaappleton talking without another poster who doubted it was going to be D&D 5e, claiming it could be for the 5th edition of an entirely different roleplaying game. If you agree its D&D 5e and your only point is hair splitting between how "offical" D&D 5e power ranger is going to be then theres no real disagreement.

Rater202
2020-09-30, 11:40 AM
d20 modern wasn't a game using the Dungeons and dragons 3rd addition system, it was a game in the same family of systems.

This to me seems like it's going to b its own thing, but be Backwards compatible with 5E

I imagine the assumption is that the party will consist mostly of the same class, or that there are different classes that all have the same kind of subclasses, representing how a team almost always has the same power source and base chassis with differences being their weapons and, in later series, what the "element" of their power was.

I imagine that character options will revolve around whether you only have powers when morphed or if you have powers all the time and morphing makes them stronger, whether you're more tech-based, more magic-based, or somewhere in the middle(technically, it's almost always a mix but some seasons very clearly invoke one more than the other) and what your specific gimmick is.

...Though I'll admit, I'm imagining a party of Warlocks with The Morphing Grid as their patron.

The real question is how they'll handle Zords.

elyktsorb
2020-09-30, 11:42 AM
Yeah, that kind of makes that move of theirs pretty puzzling aside from the "get the D&D 5e audience" factor (since unlike say, Transformers, there already is an outlet for MLP fans who like RPGs).

As someone who's played the 'story telling' game, it's more like those dnd sessions that are more about theater of mind and roleplaying than the more combat/skill focused aspects of 5e. It's very much aimed towards very young kids, where I imagine if they decided to make like a carbon copy 5e equivalent there would be more substance.

Also I highly doubt that they would base it off of the G5 pony stuff (unless it happens to coincide with the G5's launch) or the 4.5 stuff as G4 is pretty much a whole setting they can easily do whatever they want in since they're no longer using it as show material. I also imagine those dnd/mlp crossover ponies are more designed like the classic ponies due to hasbro thinking anyone not into mlp would more so remember the classic pony designs. Or maybe they just figured the dnd audience would like more realistic equine designs.

Satori01
2020-09-30, 11:47 AM
No, you're just grasping at straws that you're not wrong.

You shot your shot. You missed. Move on.

Really...you are not speculating around the edges of the press release?

As I, said, I am speculating....if I am wrong, then I am wrong.

This being a somewhat speculative thread....(we don't know what the branding nor the products look like..I think we can all agree)...I don't feel ashamed at being wrong.

{scrubbed}

jaappleton
2020-09-30, 11:53 AM
Really...you are not speculating around the edges of the press release?

As I, said, I am speculating....if I am wrong, then I am wrong.

This being a somewhat speculative thread....(we don't know what the branding nor the products look like..I think we can all agree)...I don't feel ashamed at being wrong.

{scrub the post, scrub the quote}

I'm not speculating at all, about anything. Its confirmed. Its using 5E. You refusing to acknowledge that is more of an issue you have to deal with.

At this point, I am no longer going to engage you. Enjoy your time.

Theoboldi
2020-09-30, 12:06 PM
Of all the franchises to make into a D&D-esque game, Power Rangers might actually not be the worst one they could have picked. Really think about it for a moment. What does your usual episode of Power Rangers look like?

The Rangers:

are faced with a problem in town.
investigate the situation.
fight some monsters.
deal with some challenges on the way.
find a solution to the overall problem or discover the villain behind it.
top it off with a fight against the big boss monster that is won through teamwork.

It's not all that different from a non-dungeon D&D adventure. And heck, you can't tell me that the Megazord isn't an ability that they can use only once per long rest. :smalltongue:

Don't look to closely at the comparison, it's a joke that falls apart if you think about it for more than six seconds. :P

Evaar
2020-09-30, 12:08 PM
If you Google search "5th edition" in incognito mode, the first page is full of 5e D&D links.

But yes, I suppose it's entirely possible the company that owns D&D might be referring to some other unknown RPG that's in its 5th Edition without specifying anything further.

I'm not sure that any other tabletop RPG on the planet is actually in its 5th edition, but it could be! I checked to see what GURPS is up to and it looks like it's only 4th Edition, but maybe Hasbro means to say that GURPS is releasing a 5th edition with Power Rangers as its launch product!

Nothing is knowable. You can't trust your senses because they could be lying to you.

Knowledge is only delusion.

There is no spoon.

Rater202
2020-09-30, 12:10 PM
Of all the franchises to make into a D&D-esque game, Power Rangers might actually not be the worst one they could have picked. Really think about it for a moment. What does your usual episode of Power Rangers look like?

The Rangers:

fight some monsters.
top it off with a fight against the big boss monster that is won through teamwork.

It's not all that different from a non-dungeon D&D adventure. And heck, you can't tell me that the Megazord isn't an ability that they can use only once per long rest. :smalltongue:

Don't look to closely at the comparison, it's a joke that falls apart if you think about it for more than six seconds. :P

Keep in mind that when they werewriting AD&D second edition in 89 they used The Golden Girls as the standard as the ideal four person party...

...Oh God, now I'm imagining four elderly ladies as Power Rangers exploring a medieval fantasy setting.

KorvinStarmast
2020-09-30, 12:11 PM
I'm not sure that any other tabletop RPG on the planet is actually in its 5th edition, but it could be! Vampire the Masquerade and Shadowrun IIRC have 5th editions.

Herre are some others. Hackmaster has a fifth edition, and Legend of the Five Rings

(Don't think any of those are Hasbro, but I may be mistaken)

jaappleton
2020-09-30, 12:11 PM

The Rangers:

fight some monsters.

The Megazord usage is actually fairly easy to translate into game mechanics.

Call it a group power. Tasha's is already going to deal with 'group patrons', so its possible this is a further expansion on what will be an existing thing. Everyone, on their turn, can use their action to summon ______ (Insert favorite Megazord here) to deal ______ damage, scaling as you level up. This power recharges on a long rest.

Evaar
2020-09-30, 12:13 PM
Vampire the Masquerade, or maybe Shadowrun, is IIRC up to edition 5.
Lemme check.

Wikipedia says you're right.

Maybe it's Power Ranger Vampires. There's really no way for us to know. How can mirrors be real if our eyes aren't real

jaappleton
2020-09-30, 12:14 PM
Wikipedia says you're right.

Maybe it's Power Ranger Vampires. There's really no way for us to know. How can mirrors be real if our eyes aren't real

That's why they wear the power ranger outfits. To shield them from the sun.

zinycor
2020-09-30, 12:14 PM
Wow! This sounds super fun. I really like the idea.

KorvinStarmast
2020-09-30, 12:17 PM
Maybe it's Power Ranger Vampires. There's really no way for us to know. How can mirrors be real if our eyes aren't real I'm still betting that Wesley Snipes / Blade PWNs them all. :smallcool:

Theoboldi
2020-09-30, 12:18 PM
Keep in mind that when they werewriting AD&D second edition in 89 they used The Golden Girls as the standard as the ideal four person party...

...Oh God, now I'm imagining four elderly ladies as Power Rangers exploring a medieval fantasy setting.
That would have been a fantastic episode though, wouldn't it? Only question is who their GM would have been.

Call it a group power. Tasha's is already going to deal with 'group patrons', so its possible this is a further expansion on what will be an existing thing. Everyone, on their turn, can use their action to summon ______ (Insert favorite Megazord here) to deal ______ damage, scaling as you level up. This power recharges on a long rest.

I guess that works if you use the Megazord only for its finisher, though it'd be a shame to have no mechanics for full, proper Zord battles. They don't happen to often in the show, I know, but I'd still expect them if I were to buy this.

ProsecutorGodot
2020-09-30, 12:18 PM
I've got no problems with it, although I never got all that into power rangers so I probably won't partake... If there are any cool subclasses though, I'll at least take a look.

zinycor
2020-09-30, 12:19 PM
After reading the reception in this thread it doesn't seem very positive.... Why is that?

Boci
2020-09-30, 12:22 PM
After reading the reception in this thread it doesn't seem very positive.... Why is that?

D&D is heroic fantasy, Power Rangers is not. Maybe the skeptisism is uncalled for, but its trying to blend two different genres into one product, which has worked before, but has tend to fail more often.

Evaar
2020-09-30, 12:23 PM

A thing is coming out that doesn't appeal to them and we're on the Internet.

Personally, I don't care. I don't have any interest whatsoever in Power Rangers, but I'm sure some people do. Have fun!

D&D is heroic fantasy, Power Rangers is not.

Um. What is it, then?

jaappleton
2020-09-30, 12:24 PM

Personally, I'm all for this. I'm all for any product which gets more people into the hobby. My opinion on tabletop, regardless of what system you like to play, has always been "Tabletop can be the best game you've ever played in your life... But if done poorly, can also be the worst." The caveat regarding how bad it can be typically is regarding the behavior of others at the table, we've all either heard or witnessed first hand some horror stories.

So I'm all for this Power Rangers crossover content, because it can bring in new people to the hobby.

You can choose not to use any and all of its content at your table, if you so choose. Its an entirely optional thing. If you don't want Megazords and a dagger you play like a flute that summons a mechanical dragon (And if you don't want that, what's wrong with you?) then you have the ability to outright ignore this content.

Lord Raziere
2020-09-30, 12:26 PM
Monk subclass Way of the Sentai lets goooooooooooooooooooooo.

even better:
"We are the Ginyu Force!"
TOKUSENTAI, TOKUSENTAI TOKUSENTAI...

Boci
2020-09-30, 12:27 PM
Um. What is it, then?

Superhero/Action, which is not the same as fantasy. For starts, its set in the modern era, D&D is set in a blend of several historic eras.

RedMage125
2020-09-30, 12:27 PM
I'm still betting that Wesley Snipes / Blade PWNs them all. :smallcool:

Better the Blade, let's get Simon or Trevor Belmont in on that. Legendary vampire hunters wielding holy power against the darkness. Especially against the Twilight sparkle vamps.

Evaar
2020-09-30, 12:29 PM
Superhero/Action, which is not the same as fantasy. For starts, its set in the modern era, D&D is set in a blend of several historic eras.

So... you would also exclude something like Sailor Moon from being fantasy? Just trying to nail down the definition here.

Boci
2020-09-30, 12:34 PM
So... you would also exclude something like Sailor Moon from being fantasy? Just trying to nail down the definition here.

Do you disagree that Power Rangers resembles the superhero genre more than the mideval fantasy D&D is set in? Just trying to nail down the reason you're questioning this whole thing.

Genres can get a bit murky, but not modern technology tends to be one of the key components of heroic fantasy, so no, sailor moon wouldn't be either, because its set in the modern day.

Millstone85
2020-09-30, 12:38 PM
As someone who's played the 'story telling' game, it's more like those dnd sessions that are more about theater of mind and roleplaying than the more combat/skill focused aspects of 5e. It's very much aimed towards very young kids, where I imagine if they decided to make like a carbon copy 5e equivalent there would be more substance.

Also I highly doubt that they would base it off of the G5 pony stuff (unless it happens to coincide with the G5's launch) or the 4.5 stuff as G4 is pretty much a whole setting they can easily do whatever they want in since they're no longer using it as show material.I just own the book. But friends of mine actually got to use ToE as an introduction to roleplaying games for their son, and are happy with the result.

Anyhow, good points, although I wonder how much older an audience they would now be willing to aim for. I mean, yeah, that DM screen is something, but can I truly dream of a 5e Equestria setting book?

https://i.imgur.com/iJ22Jtg.gif

Evaar
2020-09-30, 12:45 PM
Just trying to nail down the reason you're questioning this whole thing.

I'm questioning the whole thing because my hypothesis is that rationales for being upset about this are post hoc and the actual reason is because it's something that doesn't appeal to most of us and we are on the Internet.

I don't see any reason for this to be a mismatch to D&D. Ravnica and Eberron exist with technology-like stuff in them. Rick and Morty already had a box set. It's not going to have any measurable impact on typical D&D games.

zinycor
2020-09-30, 12:47 PM
D&D is heroic fantasy, Power Rangers is not. Maybe the skeptisism is uncalled for, but its trying to blend two different genres into one product, which has worked before, but has tend to fail more often.

I don't think so. For me DnD is whatever you want as long as it is centered on combat, has plenty of monsters and the players that so choose it get to do funny voices.

Edit: oh and fireball and polearms.

Imbalance
2020-09-30, 12:48 PM

The only positive thing I can say about the entirety of the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers as the property exists in the United States is that the action figures featured excellent toy engineering for their time. The only use I have for it is as yet another example of Disney nearly killing something that people loved. Until Hasbro bought the whole thing the other year, I could have left out the "nearly".

That said, I'm not knocking this, either. Cool that there are more choices for people with different tastes.

Satori01
2020-09-30, 12:51 PM
I'm not speculating at all, about anything. Its confirmed. Its using 5E. You refusing to acknowledge that is more of an issue you have to deal with.

At this point, I am no longer going to engage you. Enjoy your time.

LOL, as Boci pointed out the difference in our views seems to be:

1) You think this is D&D "Official" like the Eberron setting or SKT.

2) I think it is a separate licensing deal between the 3PP and Hasbro.
Yes it uses the 5e system....I agreed with you on that, but it is not "Official" in the way that say SCAG is.

If evidence proves me wrong....great....part of speculation is seeing how one's predictions do.

Based off the code of conduct for this website, this public forum is supposed to be an open lunch counter of ideas regarding D&D.

One is NOT, "jumping into a conversation" when posting to an open, public thread.

Are folks suggesting they want this message board to not be an open public forum, but instead a segregated and gatekeeper kept lunch counter of D&D ideas?

I assume, this not the case.

So can we accept the precept that some posters opinions, and ideas will differ from others?

Boci
2020-09-30, 12:52 PM
I'm questioning the whole thing because my hypothesis is that rationales for being upset about this are post hoc and the actual reason is because it's something that doesn't appeal to most of us and we are on the Internet.

Why can't it be both? Why does it have to be binary one or the other? There's ample reason for why the two might not mix. Everron and Ravnica are not the modern world, the Power Ranger's world is. It was modern technology in my post you quoted, not all technology.

I never played d20 Modern. Its existence has had 0 negative impact on me, but I'll still point out why it wasn't a good system because critical evaluation of systems interest me, even if I don't play with them.

I don't think so. For me DnD is whatever you want as long as it is centered on combat, has plenty of monsters and the players that so choose it get to do funny voices.

You can house rule D&D, but that doesn't change what it is. Plenty of games are centred around combat and have monsters, yet aren't D&D.

zinycor
2020-09-30, 12:56 PM
You can house rule D&D, but that doesn't change what it is. Plenty of games are centred around combat and have monsters, yet aren't D&D.

I completely disagree, if me and my community choose to call a cat "gato" it is now a gato.

Again, DnD is whatever I play as DnD at my table. If I were to use this book with power rangers on the dnd rules, made by wizards of the coast. Then it is DnD.

Unoriginal
2020-09-30, 12:57 PM

I like Power Rangers quite a bit. My wariness in this thread is due to two things:

1) I think that treating the 5e mechanics as an universal system is a mistake, and more specifically that the 5e mechanics are not a good match for the Power Rangers feel

2) I feel like this is a corporate decision made by people with no respect for either of the franchises

That kind of mismatch often doom the RPG adaptations of settings, and crossovers in general.

In my experience, a crossover can only work if it's made with sincere love for both franchises. Which is why Batman vs the Teenage Mutants Ninja Turtles is one of the best Batman movies ever made.

So we can only hope whoever is in charge of the book do respect the Power Rangers and D&D.

I don't see any reason for this to be a mismatch to D&D. Ravnica and Eberron exist with technology-like stuff in them. Rick and Morty already had a box set. It's not going to have any measurable impact on typical D&D games.

Rick and Morty is different because the framing device is the Rick and Morty characters playing D&D, not a Rick & Morty RPG using 5e's ruleset.

EggKookoo
2020-09-30, 12:58 PM

Am ambivalent about MMPR, but I do think it's a good source to make a game out of.

I can't stop thinking about a Transformer's 5e game. Must be the Gen X in me.

Boci
2020-09-30, 12:59 PM
I completely disagree.

You disagree that there are games with combat and monsters that aren't D&D? I'm afraid you're wrong. Star Wars, Dragon Age, 40k...all with combat and monsters, none of them D&D.

Most iterations of the Powers Rangers are set in the modern era, and balance having a normal life with having a secret identity where you save the world or at least the local town (well, but of it, collatoral damage and all). 5e had neither of those base assumption, raising the question maybe a clean slate would have been a better approach.

Evaar
2020-09-30, 01:03 PM
You disagree that there are games with combat and monsters that aren't D&D? I'm afraid you're wrong. Star Wars, Dragon Age, 40k...all with combat and monsters, none of them D&D.

Obviously he disagrees with the value judgment he quoted, and not the objective and easily verifiable fact.

Satori01
2020-09-30, 01:04 PM

GI Joe 5e...is thematically going to feel very different than D&D.

That is not stating that a GI Joe 5e is a lesser product then D&D, or somehow invalid, it just from a classification perspective .....is not D&D.

Gamma World is basically D&D, except you have less +1 swords, and more Black Ray guns.

Boci
2020-09-30, 01:05 PM
Obviously he disagrees with the value judgment he quoted, and not the objective and easily verifiable fact.

That's also pretty easily provable wrong. The ability of a group to houserule D&D doesn't change what D&D is. D&D does not have cellphones. I can houserule/refluff existing magic items to be cellphones, and then when my group plays D&D, there are cellphones in it. That doesn't change the fact that D&D doesn't have cellphones in it.

Gamma World is basically D&D, except you have less +1 swords, and more Black Ray guns.

And that's a problem. 5e was designed around the assumption that the majority of martial combatants are melee based. Advance the era to where everyone has guns, and you're stuck with a system designed with a different assumption in mind.

zinycor
2020-09-30, 01:05 PM

I disagre that this wouldn't be DnD because of the time is set in.

What makes DnD, DnD is that the community agree that it is. Some say 4th edition isn't DnD enough. Some say that Spelljammer is DnD.

For me in particular, (And I bet a whole lot of people) DnD 5e is any game using the DnD 5e mechanics and that has plenty of combat.

Again. I don't think the time the setting is set on dictates wether something is DnD or not.

zinycor
2020-09-30, 01:08 PM
That's also pretty easily provable wrong. The ability of a group to houserule D&D doesn't change what D&D is. D&D does not have cellphones. I can houserule/refluff existing magic items to be cellphones, and then when my group plays D&D, there are cellphones in it. That doesn't change the fact that D&D doesn't have cellphones in it.
I completely disagree. If I play my DnD game on a modern setting it isn't any less DnD that any othr game.

Specially on this case where I would be using official DnD products.

Boci
Again. I don't think the time the setting is set on dictates wether something is DnD or not.

D&D has rulebooks. They have a time setting. A group can change the time setting, but that doesn't change the time setting of the D&D rulebooks.

truemane
Metamagic Mod: closed for review

Peelee
2020-10-03, 11:51 PM
The Mod on the Silver Mountain: Re-opened.

Boci
2020-10-04, 04:47 AM
I completely disagree. If I play my DnD game on a modern setting it isn't any less DnD that any othr game.

Yes it is. Its not worse, you do you and have fun in whatever way suits your group best, but if you play D&D in very different ways, that is less like D&D as a whole.

D&D has wizards in it. A group can play a low magic game with no wizards in it, but D&D the game still has wizards in it.

Chugger
2020-10-04, 05:25 AM
TSR went under, Wotc got DnD, Hasbro bought WotC. Hasbro was happy to ignore the existence of DnD 5e ... except that it started making more money than anyone expected. It's wildly popular compared to 4 3.5 and 3. So corporate America has noticed DnD 5e - we exist to them - and this endangers us...

...except that they don't really own DnD. We do.

Oh, they make the profits off it - they get to try to change the rules. And we homebrew and work around their rules all the time, as we see fit. All with Gygax's blessings - he said many times the rules are just guidelines, we're free to adjust them however we want. So if Hasbro decides to try milking 5e for profits, we don't have to go along with them. We can still with the rules we like - we can stop buying their products - renegade substitute products, modules and so on will come about - they can't stop it. It's ultimately our game because we put in the work - the time - the effort to make our experiences. I don't think corporate America understands that. They can't control us.

Arkhios
2020-10-04, 05:26 AM
Yes it is. Its not worse, you do you and have fun in whatever way suits your group best, but if you play D&D in very different ways, that is less like D&D as a whole.

D&D has wizards in it. A group can play a low magic game with no wizards in it, but D&D the game still has wizards in it.

I don't see a reason there couldn't be wizards in a modern D&D setting. Just look at Mage: the Awakening. The whole premise is that it takes place in more or less present day Earth (which is pretty modern, if you'd ask me), and the characters are all mages, wizards, warlocks, or whatever name for them fits the theme.

Yes, it's a different game system altogether, but so what? Whatever the game you play, a wizard is a wizard is a wizard. D&D doesn't have a copy-right on the term or concept, and the system doesn't dictate any particular era of play.

Boci
2020-10-04, 05:30 AM
I don't see a reason there couldn't be wizards in a modern D&D setting.

I didn't say there couldn't be? Not sure where you got that from.

I said D&D isn't set in the modern era. Indevidual groups can play D&D set in the modern era, but the game D&D is not set in the modern era.

Protolisk
2020-10-04, 08:00 AM
I didn't say there couldn't be? Not sure where you got that from.

I said D&D isn't set in the modern era. Indevidual groups can play D&D set in the modern era, but the game D&D is not set in the modern era.

This feels kind of odd to me, since the "game D&D", at least in 5e, typically defaults to using the setting of Forgotten Realms. And in the Forgotten Realms general canon, Earth, as in "our" Earth, is a thing. So much so that characters meet up at Ed Greenwood's house. Foxes, for instance, aren't native to Faerun, they came from Earth.

Since characters met Ed Greenwood, it sounds to me that it takes place analogous to Earth's modern era, but their society evolved differently because magic.

For the record, I don't necessarily agree with these facts, and I get most are supposed to be jokes, but nonetheless for the general "main setting", at least by volume of adventures printed and most of the flavor text, it is set at the same time as the modern era on Earth. Transport between Earth and the Forgotten Realms may be difficult, but has already happened and can continue to happen. So those places are also in "the modern era". Many players and their characters may not realize this, but its still strangely true.

If this isn't a good enough explanation, there are still uncontacted tribes living on some coastal islands even today on Earth, with different culture and social structure, that are still undoubtedly living in "the modern era". The tribes may not realize that this is the "modern era", but they still live today, and what is today if not the modern era?

zinycor
2020-10-04, 10:20 AM

And a game set on a modern timeline could still have wizards on it. Even the DMG has guns of a few technological levels.

Having a DnD setting set on a different timeframe doesn't make it any less of a DnD setting.

KorvinStarmast
2020-10-04, 11:14 AM
And a game set on a modern timeline could still have wizards on it. Dresden Files comes to mind. :cool:

Deathtongue
2020-10-04, 11:28 AM
I seriously can't think of a worse IP to work with D&D mechanics than Power Rangers. How is team-theming supposed to be anything other than a joke/unsatisfying compromise? What are the players supposed to be doing between monster and giant monster fights? How the hell are combining mecha fights even supposed to work? Is everyone going to be like the Green/White Ranger and just have their own mecha? Are we going to have our own character sheets to design our mecha, or are the mecha just canned models you pull out of the Monster Manual you can't customize besides giving them little bonuses here and there?

These aren't insurmountable obstacles or unanswerable questions -- it's just that 5E D&D is the wrong answer to them.

EggKookoo
2020-10-04, 11:35 AM
How is team-theming supposed to be anything other than a joke/unsatisfying compromise?

I don't know about the mecha, but I would assume the build options would have to be more sophistication than just Blue, Red, Green, etc.

I mean, when something like Star Wars is adapted to game, they usually broaden the character designs so you're not just picking "Han Solo," "Luke Skywalker," or "R2-D2."

zinycor
2020-10-04, 11:35 AM
I seriously can't think of a worse IP to work with D&D mechanics than Power Rangers. How is team-theming supposed to be anything other than a joke/unsatisfying compromise? What are the players supposed to be doing between monster and giant monster fights? How the hell are combining mecha fights even supposed to work? Is everyone going to be like the Green/White Ranger and just have their own mecha? Are we going to have our own character sheets to design our mecha, or are the mecha just canned models you pull out of the Monster Manual you can't customize besides giving them little bonuses here and there?

These aren't insurmountable obstacles or unanswerable questions -- it's just that 5E D&D is the wrong answer to them.

Half of those questions got me super hype to see what we would get xD.

Enixon
2020-10-04, 11:57 AM

I remember one of the old 1st or 2nd edition D&D modules set in Kara-Tur ended with the party jointly controlling a giant spirit dragon avatar to fight an equally giant samurai ghost, the rules presented always felt megazordy when I read it.

if I remember it right everyone could use their action to have the Spirit Dragon make normal moves and attacks, but each of the "stations" the players could take had their own special abilities they could use, in the adventure there were these magic runes you'd stand on presumably for Power Rangers it's be which seat you sat in in the Megazord.

jaappleton
2020-10-04, 12:02 PM
The Acquisitions Incorporated live game had Chris Perkins DMing and the party jointly piloted a massive statue of Halaster Blackcloak, and fought a huge kaiju monster.

....pretty sure that was the summer Pacific Rim came out.

Deathtongue
2020-10-04, 12:21 PM
I don't know about the mecha, but I would assume the build options would have to be more sophistication than just Blue, Red, Green, etc.

I mean, when something like Star Wars is adapted to game, they usually broaden the character designs so you're not just picking "Han Solo," "Luke Skywalker," or "R2-D2."Star Wars and Superhero characters aren't supposed to be coherent teams. It's nice when they are, but it's not expected. Optimus Prime + Kenshiro + Beast Boy + Korra is considered a valid team-up, even though their aesthetics are all over the place. Or even in Star Wars, where theming is more tightly controlled, it's considered okay for a team to consist of a hacker/slicer, an ace pilot, two bounty hunters (one droid, one organic), and a jedi.

That's not the case in Sentai like Ninja Turtles or Power Rangers. You can't have characters where one of them can grow to the size of a building and the other one can mentally control all of their spaceships functions, with the party hotswapping the protagonist as they see fit. You can't have this, because this setup for Sentai violates the most basic genre convention -- that of a team being not the sum of its parts, but a unified whole. Which is why they have color-coded outfits, why they have similar superpowers, and why they even have dang group poses and theme songs! It's like having a 5E D&D game where violence is always wrong like in Undertale or Golden Sky Stories. The system structure of the game is such a violation of genre conventions that it doesn't work and can't be made to work.

So going back to 5E D&D, either the implementation has to be very shallow (as in, a character consists of a civilian identity, a personal vehicle, a color, a Zord, and a signature weapon for their Zord) or it has to make a complete mockery of genre conventions.

Amnestic
2020-10-04, 12:32 PM
That's not the case in Sentai like Ninja Turtles or Power Rangers. You can't have characters where one of them can grow to the size of a building and the other one can mentally control all of their spaceships functions, with the party hotswapping the protagonist as they see fit. You can't have this, because this setup for Sentai violates the most basic genre convention -- that of a team being not the sum of its parts, but a unified whole. Which is why they have color-coded outfits, why they have similar superpowers, and why they even have dang group poses and theme songs

This isn't universal. While so-called "civilian powers" weren't universal to every series, the likes of Ninja Storm, SPD and Dino Thunder had them getting individual superpowers that could be leaned on to differentiate them during play.

Deathtongue
2020-10-04, 12:48 PM
This isn't universal. While so-called "civilian powers" weren't universal to every series, the likes of Ninja Storm, SPD and Dino Thunder had them getting individual superpowers that could be leaned on to differentiate them during play.1) I was under the impression that Ninja Storm and Dino Thunder didn't just give their characters random superpowers in their civilian form, but the powers themselves were along a theme -- such as animals or elemental powers. Is that not the case? Or did some characters have an unthemed mishmash of powers like one person transforming into a dragon and another person having telekinesis and telpathy?

2) Did those civilian powers apply to the actual Zord fights? Or were they considered two separate setpieces?

rlc
2020-10-04, 12:54 PM
But are there going to be any mlp/mtg crossovers?
I've never been into card games, but what color mana would pinkie pie have?

Amnestic
2020-10-04, 12:55 PM
1) I was under the impression that Ninja Storm and Dino Thunder didn't just give their characters random superpowers in their civilian form, but the powers themselves were along a theme -- such as animals or elemental powers. Is that not the case? Or did some characters have an unthemed mishmash of powers like one person transforming into a dragon and another person having telekinesis and telpathy?

For SPD (which was "what if power rangers were a swat team" essentially) you had as separate powers: being able to walk through walls, being able to make force fields, being able to 'sense auras'/ESP, being able to clone/replicate yourself, and being able to copy the properties of objects onto you (eg. turn your fist into metal). Which didn't really fit any sort of theme.

The ninja storm ones were all a variation of different [element] ninjutsu (water, thunder, earth, etc.) and dino thunder had super speed, super defence, a sonic scream attack thing and invisibility.

So sometimes a mishmash and sometimes not?

2) Did those civilian powers apply to the actual Zord fights? Or were they considered two separate setpieces?

Usually the latter. No idea what their plans are for zord fights. Some sort of special character that everyone gets to control, with a number of turns per round equal to the pilots? idk.

Enixon
2020-10-04, 12:58 PM

they actually did make a collectable card set as a charity thing last year, no Pinkie Pie in it, but apparently Twilight Sparkle and Rarity are both White/Blue

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/magic-extra-life-2019-10-03

RedMage125
2020-10-04, 01:03 PM

And a game set on a modern timeline could still have wizards on it. Even the DMG has guns of a few technological levels.

Having a DnD setting set on a different timeframe doesn't make it any less of a DnD setting.

It's not 5e, but you should both check out the Xcrawl setting. Originally 3.0, it was updated to PF as "Maximum Xcrawl". Set in the modern era, GREAT transition of D&D themes and practices.

Tawmis
2020-10-04, 01:51 PM
I disagree.

I mean, that's all I kept reading - people disagreeing with one another.

Here's the thing - Power Rangers using D&D 5e mechanics. If you don't plan on buying it, it's not going to impact you.

If you plan on buying, good on you, hope it works and you're able to enjoy it.

Long story short (too late?) - it's like any other 5e book they release. You can choose to purchase it or not.

Shouldn't matter beyond that. :D

BTW: I absolutely loathe the Power Rangers, but if someone buys this and enjoys it, more power to them and stretching their imagination and enjoyment, I say! My dislike shouldn't ruin someone else's fun, as long as no one's being hurt!

Telwar
2020-10-04, 02:05 PM
I disagree.

Here's the thing - Power Rangers using D&D 5e mechanics. If you don't plan on buying it, it's not going to impact you.

Long story short (too late?) - it's like any other 5e book they release. You can choose to purchase it or not.

BTW: I absolutely loathe the Power Rangers, but if someone buys this and enjoys it, more power to them and stretching their imagination and enjoyment, I say! My dislike shouldn't ruin someone else's fun, as long as no one's being hurt!

This. All of this.

I have utterly no intention of buying this, Power Rangers does absolutely nothing for me.

And yet, in ages long past, not before the oceans drank Atlantis, but like, ten years ago, one of our IT guys who I talked with a lot was SUPER into Power Rangers, and he was like 24 or so (I...about mid-thirties, then?). Like, he cosplayed as the Red Ranger.

And I thought that was kind of silly, and kids' stuff...until I started thinking about how I basically considered Larry Hama's G.I. Joe comics the source of all wisdom, and just bought a whole new bookshelf because they started releasing the Classified series of 6" figures (which, if they didn't mess up the distribution, would be SUPER AWESOME). And then, I realized, it didn't really make sense for me to make fun of someone for liking Power Rangers, a major component of their childhood, when I liked G.I. Joe, a major component of my childhood.

The second part is, this will *hopefully* bring in more players to the hobby, which we desperately need, STILL. If they like being a Sentai team, maybe they'll like being an elf in their own basement?

Maybe I'll pick up the G.I. Joe and Transformers games. I mean, I'm sure I'll get the G.I. Joe one, to be honest, *maybe* the Transformers (though to be fair, I'd've thought a die pool system using the ratings on their file cards would make more sense).

Boci
2020-10-04, 02:10 PM
For the record, I don't necessarily agree with these facts, and I get most are supposed to be jokes

T|hat's kinda a focal point, not something to lightly skip over. Its an easter egg/joke, the game D&D is not set in the modern error. There are limited modern items statted in the rules, mostly just weapons, no non-combat technology from the modern era like phone lines, petrol based engine, ect, ect. Its not set in the modern era.

And a game set on a modern timeline could still have wizards on it.

Yes, I never disputed this, so I'm not sure why its neccissary to point it out. You can also play D&D without wizards, some groupd do, I did once. But that doesn't change the fact that D&D the game has wizards in it.

When we describe the game of D&D, we describe the game in the rulebooks, not the infinite possiiblities a DM and homebrewing can produce.

Rater202
2020-10-04, 02:20 PM
The game in the rulebooks has a rule that says "this is all a guideline, do what's the most fun" in most of the core rulebooks.

That is to say, Dungeons and Dragons is nothing but infinite posibilities.

It's basically just a bunch of rules for playing a more sophisticated game of pretend. Down to the name.

"Dungeons and Dragons" follows the exact same as "Cops and Robbers" or "Cowboys and Indians."

If I wanted to, I could crack open my copy of the 3.5's Drow of the Underdark, take some notes on the setting and then put the book away and start doing a free form, no rules at all forum roleplay where all the players are Drow navigating the political climate of Menzoberranzan and that would be just as much Dungeons and Dragons as a game of the traditional Fighter, Mage, Rogue, and Cleric delving into a dungeon to stop an assortment of randomly determined monsters and take their treasure.

And if this game comes up with a "Powered By D&D NEXT" stamp on the cover and backwards compatible rules, then it will be Just as Much Dungeons and Dragons as the traditional game too.

Boci
2020-10-04, 02:26 PM
The game in the rulebooks has a rule that says "this is all a guideline, do what's the most fun" in most of the core rulebooks.

That is to say, Dungeons and Dragons is nothing but infinite posibilities.

It's basically just a bunch of rules for playing a more sophisticated game of pretend. Down to the name.

"Dungeons and Dragons" follows the exact same as "Cops and Robbers" or "Cowboys and Indians."

Sort of. Yes you can play D&D in any setting, but the rulebooks have it pretty firmly planted it in the general period of standard fantasy mideval period that actually several layers of historical technology. So, a logical question would be, whilst you can play D&D in the modern era, would not a system designed to be played in the modern era be better? I'm not saying there's only one answer to this question, it could well be worth it for your group to adapt it, but it might not. Certainly its a question that probably deserves to be considered, and kinda require people to aknolwedge the reality that D&D isn't set in the modern era, instead of insisting on mental gymnastics to dispute it.

Enixon
2020-10-04, 02:35 PM
I disagree.

I've noticed this sort of trend lately, where using D&D for pretty much anything other than the assumed default of dungeon crawling in a pseudo-western Europe flavored world is met with scorn or even anger as people stomp their feet and demand total strangers to make their whole group learn an entire new games instead of changing one or two rules to fit a genre better and tell people who've ran very successful "D&D, but in Space" or "D&D, but in the Modern Day/Near Future" games they don't count because they were having fun wrong.

I like learning new game-systems, I'll read core rule books to RPGs I'll probably never get to play or run just for the fun of seeing all the ways game designers can make "roll a die and add modifiers" feel different, but a lot of people don't have the time to do that, would my hypothetical post apocalypse game work better if I used Mutant: Year 0, most likley yeah, but my hypothetical friends Alice and Bob barely have time to fit our hypothetical weekly game into their schedule, they don't have time to learn Mutant, what they DO have time for is the couple pages of homebrewed rules and classes for D&D, I found to handle the change in genre

Boci
2020-10-04, 02:38 PM
I've noticed this sort of trend lately, where using D&D for pretty much anything other than the assumed default of dungeon crawling in a pseudo-western Europe flavored world is met with scorn or even anger as people stomp their feet and demand total strangers to make their whole group learn an entire new games instead of changing one or two rules to fit a genre better and tell people who've ran very successful "D&D, but in Space" or "D&D, but in the Modern Day/Near Future" games they don't count because they were having fun wrong.

I've seen zero people claim that in this thread so far, so it doesn't seem like its been a factor in the discussion. People have referenced the past and real failed attempt to make D&D work as a universal setting no longer fixed to the standard medival fantasy time, but no one actually saying is bad wrong fun for indevidual groups to do so.

Unoriginal
2020-10-04, 02:40 PM

Pinkie Pie is the definition of benevolent Red.

The Acquisitions Incorporated live game had Chris Perkins DMing and the party jointly piloted a massive statue of Halaster Blackcloak, and fought a huge kaiju monster.

Oh, they actually finished the Halaster mecha in Perkins's campaign? That's pretty funny.

I've seen zero people claim that in this thread so far, so it doesn't seem like its been a factor in the discussion. People have referenced the past and real failed attempt to make D&D work as a universal setting no longer fixed to the standard medival fantasy time, but no one actually saying is bad wrong fun for indevidual groups to do so.

Spelljammer wasn't a failure, because it was actually D&D in Space. It is not the same as treating D&D as an universal system and trying to force the Jedi idea in a D&D class chassis.

Deathtongue
2020-10-04, 03:07 PM
To the people going 'don't like, don't play:'

1.) If an adaptation is bad, it precludes good adaptations. A bad GI Joe movie isn't just a 'don't like, don't watch' kind of deal -- it takes money away from good adaptations of GI Joe. It makes companies less likely to support future GI Joes after it flops. It causes strife within the fandom. If the adaptation is bad enough it can actually kill the fandom off. If Game of Thrones Seasons 7 and 8 didn't happen, it would be a much healthier fandom despite the long stretch of time between Season 6, now, and absolutely nothing happening. As in, it'd have more fans, it'd have more adaptations, and it'd make more money.

2.) If an adaptation is bad, it hurts the company that adapted it. At the very least a bad GI Joe or Power Rangers or whatever adaptation means that you have the company flushing a year and game designers down the drain instead of making the next 5E D&D or whatever. I doubt a bad Power Rangers D&D module is going to be that bad for Wizards financially, but it could definitely hurt 5E D&D. Not just in perception, but in Hasbro deciding that 5E D&D doesn't really need a marketing budget or skilled project managers if they're not going to be able to play with the Big Boys -- and the Power Rangers adaptation flopping just goes to show that 5E D&D isn't ready for the big time... so there's no reason to waste money putting together a video game adaptation or cartoon series. And yeah, if the suits were smart enough they could blame the flop on the base game mechanics and the mismatch between IP, but no corporate exec is going to have that kind of insight about a marginal hobby. They're going to go 'huh, Power Rangers is doing awesome monetarily, but the Power Rangers D&D flopped. Guess D&D can't be trusted with money.'

Boci
2020-10-04, 03:13 PM
Spelljammer wasn't a failure, because it was actually D&D in Space. It is not the same as treating D&D as an universal system and trying to force the Jedi idea in a D&D class chassis.

Yeah, can't comment on the quality or even commercial success Spelljammer because I don't know anything about it, but I do know enough about d20 Modern and d20 Future to know they were...not good.

zinycor
2020-10-04, 06:37 PM
Yes, I never disputed this, so I'm not sure why its neccissary to point it out. You can also play D&D without wizards, some groupd do, I did once. But that doesn't change the fact that D&D the game has wizards in it.

When we describe the game of D&D, we describe the game in the rulebooks, not the infinite possiiblities a DM and homebrewing can produce.

So, DnD standard setting assumes the existence of god, but settings like Dark Sun don't have gods. Are those not DnD either?

Unoriginal
2020-10-04, 08:43 PM
So, DnD standard setting assumes the existence of god, but settings like Dark Sun don't have gods. Are those not DnD either?

Gods absolutely exist in Dark Sun, they just can't affect the world like they do elsewhere due to the setting's circumstances.

PhoenixPhyre
2020-10-04, 09:03 PM
The only way I see to do MMPR "right" using 5e is to make a "5e System" (like the d20 system for 3e). Strip out all the content and just use the framework pieces:

* 1d20 + mods vs floating TN resolution mechanic with Attack Rolls, Saving Throws, and Ability Checks.
* Ability scores and modifiers (they don't even have to be the same ones)
* proficiency
* classes and levels, with archetypes
* "spells" (ie limited-use, level-scaling abilities)
* Size categories (?)
* Combat turn structure
* team-and-adventure-based narrative structure (so not protagonist and flunkies, but equal team-mates going and doing action-type things)
* Monsters with CR differences (ie a mix of mooks and bosses

Basically none of the content would be cross-compatible (so no playing Green PR in Faerun), but the underlying system would be roughly the same.

As an "officially-licensed 3PP" thing, I'm very meh about this. Not something I'd buy, but not going to run screaming or get angry. If it was an official product and sold as cross-play compatible with regular 5e...I'd be rather irritated.

animewatcha
2020-10-04, 09:47 PM
Do we get advantage on attacks rolls if there is martial arts posing beforehand?

Tawmis
2020-10-04, 10:06 PM
To the people going 'don't like, don't play:'
1.) If an adaptation is bad, it precludes good adaptations. A bad GI Joe movie isn't just a 'don't like, don't watch' kind of deal -- it takes money away from good adaptations of GI Joe. It makes companies less likely to support future GI Joes after it flops. It causes strife within the fandom. If the adaptation is bad enough it can actually kill the fandom off. If Game of Thrones Seasons 7 and 8 didn't happen, it would be a much healthier fandom despite the long stretch of time between Season 6, now, and absolutely nothing happening. As in, it'd have more fans, it'd have more adaptations, and it'd make more money.

2.) If an adaptation is bad, it hurts the company that adapted it. At the very least a bad GI Joe or Power Rangers or whatever adaptation means that you have the company flushing a year and game designers down the drain instead of making the next 5E D&D or whatever. I doubt a bad Power Rangers D&D module is going to be that bad for Wizards financially, but it could definitely hurt 5E D&D. Not just in perception, but in Hasbro deciding that 5E D&D doesn't really need a marketing budget or skilled project managers if they're not going to be able to play with the Big Boys -- and the Power Rangers adaptation flopping just goes to show that 5E D&D isn't ready for the big time... so there's no reason to waste money putting together a video game adaptation or cartoon series. And yeah, if the suits were smart enough they could blame the flop on the base game mechanics and the mismatch between IP, but no corporate exec is going to have that kind of insight about a marginal hobby. They're going to go 'huh, Power Rangers is doing awesome monetarily, but the Power Rangers D&D flopped. Guess D&D can't be trusted with money.'

Here's the thing though - as I read it, Hasbro is licensing it to the folks making the Power Ranger game. Similar to how Marvel licensed Spider-Man to Sony, X-Men & Fantastic Four to Fox... If it fails, yes, it hurts the Marvel brand, but it's the movie studios that suffer the finances. So, they'd probably consult Hasbro, but would not have actual Hasbro employees working on it.

In the movie cases, it's a larger risk - because it's the actual name (X-Men, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four) - but for the Power Rangers thing, it's the Power Rangers brand name that's selling. The D&D 5e aspects is lesser known (I'd assume), in terms of branding/advertising. This will probably be sold as a "Power Rangers role playing game!" Rather than a "D&D 5e - Power Rangers Roleplaying Game!"

Tanarii
2020-10-04, 10:14 PM
My Little Pony
Didn't Silver Games already do that with Ponyfinder?

Unoriginal
2020-10-05, 04:08 AM
The only way I see to do MMPR "right" using 5e is to make a "5e System" (like the d20 system for 3e). Strip out all the content and just use the framework pieces

Wouldn't stom the "5e System" to be bad for adaptations of non-D&D, just like the d20 system was.

Didn't Silver Games already do that with Ponyfinder?

Don't think that's official.

HappyDaze
2020-10-05, 04:19 AM
GI Joe 5e...is thematically going to feel very different than D&D.

That is not stating that a GI Joe 5e is a lesser product then D&D, or somehow invalid, it just from a classification perspective .....is not D&D.

I'm not so sure. In D&D you can wade through battlefields and sleep off any injury while doing over-the-top craziness. So now you do it while riding your MOBAT and swinging your +3 weather dominator. The differences are really only in the skins.

Boci
2020-10-05, 05:39 AM

Not D&D? Its a binary now? "Yes D&D or No D&D, please circle one?"

Dark Sun quite intentionally tries to do stuff differently than other D&D settings, and as such is a different world to the the kind eluded to by the core rulebooks. And yet its still not a modern setting. I do not know why you don't just accept this fact.

EggKookoo
2020-10-05, 05:56 AM
None of us is in a position to decide what is or is not D&D with any precision.

I mean, I was going to say at the ends of the spectrum it's not so hard. Baking a cake is not D&D. But I'm quite sure someone could provide a counterargument to that...

Boci
2020-10-05, 06:01 AM
None of us is in a position to decide what is or is not D&D with any precision.

Sure we can. There's no modern technology in the player's hanbook, the modern world is barely referenced in the rules. You can safely say such a game is not set in the modern yes. Yes, indevidual groups can choose to set their own D&D game in the modern era, but the game of D&D, which has rules that ground in a setting quite a qhile before the modern era, with multiple settings where the modern era is frequently unreferenced, or done so fleetingly, can in fact accurately be described as "not set in the modern era".

EggKookoo
2020-10-05, 06:07 AM
Sure we can. There's no modern technology in the player's hanbook,

There is in the DMG, though.

Boci
2020-10-05, 06:22 AM
There is in the DMG, though.

Which has what, a couple of guns? Obviously american culture joke aside, a few guns does not a modern setting make.

EggKookoo
2020-10-05, 07:07 AM
Which has what, a couple of guns? Obviously american culture joke aside, a few guns does not a modern setting make.

The DMG provides tools to help set your game in the modern (or Renaissance, or futuristic) world. It's not the standard way to play but it is an option and it's provided by the official rules. It's D&D, just a flavor of it.

It's hard to argue that something the game itself gives you as an option isn't part of the game. Otherwise, technically, if you use multiclassing it's "not D&D."

Boci
2020-10-05, 07:16 AM
It's hard to argue that something the game itself gives you as an option isn't part of the game. Otherwise, technically, if you use multiclassing it's "not D&D."

Nah, its an easy distinction. Do I as a DM need to change any existing or invent new rules to play in X manner, or are they all provided for me? Because if I have to change/invent new rules to play a game in a modern setting, then its not set in a modern setting, because I wouldn't have to change/invent new rules to do so. You don't have to invent new rules to play D&D in a fantasy mideval setting, or with multiclass.

EggKookoo
2020-10-05, 07:21 AM
Nah, its an easy distinction. Do I as a DM need to change any existing or invent new rules to play in X manner, or are they all provided for me? Because if I have to change/invent new rules to play a game in a modern setting, then its not set in a modern setting, because I wouldn't have to change/invent new rules to do so. You don't have to invent new rules to play D&D in a fantasy mideval setting, or with multiclass.

Right, so Eberron is not D&D (at least for 5e) since there are all kinds of rules about how to run a game in it that aren't part of the core rulebooks... Until Rising came out, which described that setting and its associated rules. At that point, Eberron became "D&D" (5e).

It would follow, then, that when WotC puts out a modern setting book, like what they would likely do with a MMPR, GI Joe, and/or Transformers game, those, too, would become "D&D."

Arkhios
2020-10-05, 07:22 AM

In a modern setting based on our own timeline, especially pretty much everywhere else than in the 'muricas and some Third World countries, existence of guns in the society is almost unseen anyway, with only a very few organizations being able to use them in public, without (necessarily) causing a public uproar. Military, and to some extent, the police forces being the few. Besides, if guns were what makes a modern setting to you, what's stopping you from inventing more variable guns, using those in DMG merely as guidelines (as they are)?

I find it pretty sad how you're taking this matter to the barricades to try and suppress other peoples' ideas of what makes a modern setting, and enforce your own opinion as the only truth.

The basic mechanisms of D&D rules are more than adequate to portray just about any era of game. The standard assumption is without a doubt a pseudo-medieval setting, but why try and limit your or someone else's imagination with something that's only flavor.

zinycor
2020-10-05, 07:26 AM
Not D&D? Its a binary now? "Yes D&D or No D&D, please circle one?"
You are the one stating that something isn't DnD.

Dark Sun quite intentionally tries to do stuff differently than other D&D settings, and as such is a different world to the the kind eluded to by the core rulebooks. And yet its still not a modern setting. I do not know why you don't just accept this fact.

Cause the timeframe isn't what makes DnD, DnD. There are multiple DnD settings that go against the base assumptions the standard setting has but are just as DnD as the others.

Boci
2020-10-05, 07:29 AM
Right, so Eberron is not D&D (at least for 5e) since there are all kinds of rules about how to run a game in it that aren't part of the core rulebooks...

Pretty sure those rules are part of the Eberron rulebook.

I find it pretty sad how you're taking this matter to the barricades to try and suppress other peoples' ideas of what makes a modern setting, and enforce your own opinion as the only truth.

I'm not, its pretty sad you're trying to insist that's what I'm doing.

Cause the timeframe isn't what makes DnD, DnD. There are multiple DnD settings that go against the base assumptions the standard setting has but are just as DnD as the others.

And none, not one, of those settings are modern. I didn't say D&D settings cannot tweak base assumption, I said D&D isn't set in the modern era. And it isn't.

EggKookoo
2020-10-05, 07:32 AM
Pretty sure those rules are part of the Eberron rulebook.

Was Eberron "D&D" before that rulebook came out?

Arkhios
2020-10-05, 07:32 AM
I'm not, its pretty sad you're trying to insist that's what I'm doing.

By all means, do enlighten us what do you call this attempt to tell others their opinions of a modern settings are wrong and yours are right? That's precisely you trying to enforce your ideas as the only truths.

Boci
2020-10-05, 07:35 AM
By all means, do enlighten us what do you call this attempt to tell others their opinions of a modern settings are wrong and yours are right? That's precisely you trying to enforce your ideas as the only truths.

I never said D&D in a modern setting is wrong, go ahead and try and quote me saying, you won't be able to, because I never said it.

I explicitly said if your group plays D&D in the modern setting and enjoys it then more power to you. But, D&D the game is not set in the modern era. That a group can run a D&D game in the modern era says little about D&D and more about roleplaying games as a whole, since you can run pretty any roleplaying game in any era if the GM is willing to inventchange the neccissary rules.

Was Eberron "D&D" before that rulebook came out?

No it wasn't. But D&D wasn't a D&D book before D&D came out. Its a human creation, that how they work. They don't exist until they are created, then they do. Eberron is an official D&D setting with rules. D&D in the modern age isn't official, so whilst groups can play D&D in a modern setting, it has limited relevance to what D&D is, since that refers to how everyone would expirience the game.

EggKookoo
2020-10-05, 07:39 AM
No it wasn't. But D&D wasn't a D&D book before D&D came out. Its a human creation, that how they work. They don't exist until they are created, then they do. Eberron is an official D&D setting with rules. D&D in the modern age isn't official, so whilst groups can play D&D in a modern setting, it has limited relevance to what D&D is, since that refers to how everyone would expirience the game.

When the MMPR 5e game comes out, with rules for how to play in its modern setting, will it be D&D the way Eberron is D&D?

zinycor
2020-10-05, 07:40 AM
I am tired of this circular discussion. Am happy to leave you with your narrow ideas of what is or isn't DnD.

Boci
2020-10-05, 07:41 AM
When the MMPR 5e game comes out, with rules for how to play in its modern setting, will it be D&D the way Eberron is D&D?

Probably not, because it looks like it won't be marketted as D&D content unlike Eberron. Its not D&D MMPR, its MMPR 5e, it looks like its going to be a seperate product that uses a similar system.

I am tired of this circular discussion. Am happy to leave you with your narrow ideas of what is or isn't DnD.

I'm happy to leave you to your idea that we have to account for every groups houserules when we discuss what D&D is, which means we can't discuss what D&D is, because it can literally be anything.

EggKookoo
2020-10-05, 07:46 AM
Probably not, because it looks like it won't be marketted as D&D content unlike Eberron. Its not D&D MMPR, its MMPR 5e, it looks like its going to be a seperate product that uses a similar system.

I would say that's a fair point. D&D is a brand, or rather perhaps a product name. If WotC releases a D&D-like game but doesn't actually call it "D&D Whatever," I can see the argument that it's not D&D.

At the same time, if MMPR 5e is mechanically similar enough to D&D that it essentially plays the same (hit points, armor class, saving throws, etc.) I think it's fair to describe it as "D&D, but for Power Rangers" to someone unfamiliar with it.

None of this has any bearing on the notion that what makes it D&D is its setting, though. D&D is wherever it happens.

Boci
2020-10-05, 07:55 AM
I would say that's a fair point. D&D is a brand, or rather perhaps a product name. If WotC releases a D&D-like game but doesn't actually call it "D&D Whatever," I can see the argument that it's not D&D.

Yeah, that's largely it. I think people were reading more into what I was saying than was actually there.

KorvinStarmast
2020-10-05, 08:36 AM
the game D&D is not set in the modern error{sic} The Expedition to the Barrier Peaks was an early adventure that crossed Sci Fi and Medieval a bit, though TSR eventually put gama world and Metamorphisis Alpha out to better harness Sci Fi stuff. The game had a lot of "not restricted to this genre" influences, to include the Apparatus of Kwalish. :smallsmile:

That is to say, Dungeons and Dragons is nothing but infinite posibilities. Which seems to offend some of the groups of gamers who like other RPGs. (And some of the Forge's writers back in the day). And yet, look at what Apocalypse world did/tried to do. PbA games like Dungeon World ... but I digress.

"Dungeons and Dragons" follows the exact same as "Cops and Robbers" or "Cowboys and Indians." The latter IIRC became Boot Hill in TSR's product line.

Dark Sun quite intentionally tries to do stuff differently than other D&D settings, and as such is a different world to the the kind eluded to by the core rulebooks. And yet its still not a modern setting. Yes, it's post apocalypse in feel, with the apocalypse being a magical mistake, or a magical overload, IIRC.
The DMG provides tools to help set your game in the modern (or Renaissance, or futuristic) world. The DMG opens some doors. One of the first Unearthed Arcana for 5e was a modern urban setting. Nobody in our group disliked it, but likewise nobody wanted to play in such a game.

Boci
2020-10-05, 11:40 AM
The Expedition to the Barrier Peaks was an early adventure that crossed Sci Fi and Medieval a bit, though TSR eventually put gama world and Metamorphisis Alpha out to better harness Sci Fi stuff. The game had a lot of "not restricted to this genre" influences, to include the Apparatus of Kwalish. :smallsmile:

Pathfinder also has a module where you go to Earth to kill Rasputin. I think. The book is literally called the Death of Rasputin so I assume the PCs are meant to be involved with that.

loki_ragnarock
2020-10-05, 11:57 PM
As a proud owner of Aberrant D20, I understand why some people are a little concerned about using 5e as a universal system.

As someone who once had an electronic copy of Big Eyes, Small Mouth d20, I can see why people would be excited about 5e as a universal system.

But, heck, why not. They both basically flopped as products, but they didn't have the machine of Hasbro behind them.

That said... as a template it could basically work. Advantage. Disadvantage. Proficiency. Ability checks. Bounded Accuracy. The bones are pretty decent if you slap around the assumptions regarding a class and level system. It's possible to produce something quality... but since the Japanese didn't already create the product several years ago, I'm pretty sure that'd be outside the realms of successful Power Rangers business models.

Imbalance
2020-10-06, 07:54 AM
... but since the Japanese didn't already create the product several years ago, I'm pretty sure that'd be outside the realms of successful Power Rangers business models.

Lol! All they need is a little known jrpg video game to snip the turn-based strategy elements from and WoTC can fill in any teen drama they want. Brilliant!

Spriteless
2020-10-06, 09:48 AM
Deathtongue and others have brought up that Power Rangers doesn't really fit D&D. I think that's a good thing, and hope Renegade Games Studios takes the opportunity to take everything about D&D that doesn't fit Power Rangers and reinvent it.

You could, in theory, have a character as out of place as a spaceship in Power Rangers, if the spaceship interacted with the Zords normally, but had a smaller robot self to interact with the teens. Not usually done, but I'm sure we could reflavor the rules that don't exist yet. What I'm saying is, I hope Renegade Games implements a sort of mandatory session 0 to figure out what the team is about.

Imbalance, now I wish Haim Saban would rewrite Chroma Squad.

Bloodcloud
2020-10-06, 01:38 PM
Honestly power ranger is usually one episode / one adventuring day. You even got the clearly long rest recharge abilities with the weapons, zord and megazord. A handfull of easy medium encounter with the mooks, then a big deadly encounter with the big solo monster.

If that is not a Dnd session friendly structure I dont know what is.

zinycor
2020-10-06, 02:36 PM
Honestly power ranger is usually one episode / one adventuring day. You even got the clearly long rest recharge abilities with the weapons, zord and megazord. A handfull of easy medium encounter with the mooks, then a big deadly encounter with the big solo monster.

If that is not a Dnd session friendly structure I dont know what is.

I very much agree with you.

False God
2020-10-06, 02:50 PM

Half Elf Bard
Snake Eyes
Bumblebee
Twilight Sparkle
Green Ranger

I say: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/92/60/85/92608568516b3772dad7615366637928.gif

Give some of the more characters I've seen in the past, this group really doesn't sound that far off from most of the groups I've played with before, and I can't say it'd really bother me anyway. If they're all having fun and the DM can handle it, who cares?

I mean, if we replace "Snake Eyes" with "rogue", "Bumblebee" with "artificer", "Twilight Sparkle" with "druid/wizard" and "Green Ranger" with "monk", nothing has really changed about the party comp, just the visuals.

If you want a more themed experience, limit the content. Not that big of deal IMO.