PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for the ascetic adventurer

Porcupinata
2020-09-30, 09:57 AM
I've had the idea that I want to create a character who will be as self-sufficient as possible. Preferably so much so that they can be dropped naked (or with a loincloth if you insist) into the wilderness and they can survive without needing any equipment at all. More to the point, it's not just that they don't need clothing and equipment - it's more that they'll be an ascetic who doesn't want to have any material posessions. And I'm looking for ideas.

So we're looking for the following:

1) No need for armour or weapons.
2) Since I won't be using magic items, I need to be a class that can function well without them.
3) If I'm a spell caster, then I need a good selection of spells that don't need material components (that way I don't need a focus).
4) Multiclassing is out because my group don't use it, but feats and vhumans are fine.
5) Needing to carry around food and drink is an issue, so anything that lets me get rid of those is good. I'd prefer to be able to use magic to fulfil those needs rather than simply not have them (e.g. being a Warforged seems to be cheating at the whole "ascetic" bit).

Any suggestions for what would be the best class/subclass to go for?

On the physical side, Monk is obviously a contender, but I'm also wondering about being a sorcerer, a bard, a warlock, or even a druid since I'm particularly keen to use magic to survive and a monk doesn't normally have magic (unless I go for Magic Initiate).

Xihirli
2020-09-30, 10:04 AM
If you want to use magic for day-to-day survival and live ascetically, Druid is definitely the choice. Spells like Create/Destroy water and Goodberry really enable an eremetic lifestyle. This doesn't really satisfy the idea of no material components, though. I guess it depends on whether or not having a pouch with mistletoe and a drop of water ruins your idea of the ascetic.

cutlery
2020-09-30, 10:06 AM
Sorcerers and Warlocks need components.

A Druid can most likely make a focus out of found items, but will need to do so.

A Monk is ready from the round after touchdown.

An unarmored barbarian would need a moment to make a club, but that shouldn't take terribly long.

Unoriginal
2020-09-30, 10:09 AM
I've had the idea that I want to create a character who will be as self-sufficient as possible. Preferably so much so that they can be dropped naked (or with a loincloth if you insist) into the wilderness and they can survive without needing any equipment at all. More to the point, it's not just that they don't need clothing and equipment - it's more that they'll be an ascetic who doesn't want to have any material posessions. And I'm looking for ideas.

So we're looking for the following:

2) Since I won't be using magic items, I need to be a class that can function well without them.
3) If I'm a spell caster, then I need a good selection of spells that don't need material components (that way I don't need a focus).
4) Multiclassing is out because my group don't use it, but feats and vhumans are fine.
5) Needing to carry around food and drink is an issue, so anything that lets me get rid of those is good. I'd prefer to be able to use magic to fulfil those needs rather than simply not have them (e.g. being a Warforged seems to be cheating at the whole "ascetic" bit).

On the physical side, Monk is obviously a contender, but I'm also wondering about being a sorcerer, a bard, a warlock, or even a druid since I'm particularly keen to use magic to survive and a monk doesn't normally have magic (unless I go for Magic Initiate).

The Monk doesn't use magic to survive because they don't need magic to survive, just enlightenment.

Is there any particular reason why you want to use magic to survive?

Variant human WIS-focusing Monk with Magic Initiate (Goodberry and Shillelagh) might be what you want.

zinycor
2020-09-30, 10:14 AM
Druid Loxodon. Pick outlander as a background and get proficiencies in a few crafring tools, such as carpentry and cooking.

Forevaxp
2020-09-30, 10:16 AM
Water Genasis get Create Water once a day, which allows them to not have to carry around water. You will still have to find food, in which a Survival proficiency coupled with a Wisdom based class like Monk or Druid can solve. Even if you can’t find food, they get a +2 Con which helps extend the number of days they can go without food.

Also, if you go Monk, they get a tool proficiency which can go towards cooking supplies or other useful survival tools.

KorvinStarmast
2020-09-30, 10:38 AM
it's more that they'll be an ascetic who doesn't want to have any material posessions.

Water Genasi Monk, Way of the Open Hand, with the Outlander Background.

Choose one type of artisan’s tools
In your best Steven Segal voice: "I'm the cook"

He is very much a hermit, but since the Hermit Background does not include survival, and Outlander does, go Outlander.
Or, take Hrmit and swap in Survival and Religion out; Medicine is a survival skill, so keep that. (See PHB 125 for more details on custom backgrounds)

RP wise: I'd suggest role playing a set of eccentric views toward most people and their possessions. Ascetics have a good track record for having a lot of eccentric behaviors, so embrace it.