PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 or pathfinder merfolk

ChaosStar
2020-09-30, 12:05 PM
So my next Disney expy is Ariel, the Merfolk Bard. My main question is should I use the 3.5 or Pathfinder version of merfolk? 3.5's have a +8 racial bonus to Swim checks but at +1 LA. Pathfinder's have no LA and a +2 Natural Armor.

Also if I go Pathfinder, should I use the Seasinger alternate racial trait? Seasinger trades Low-Light Vision for a +2 to Perform(Sing) and +1 to save DCs for 'Language Dependent' Spells. That kind of sounds like it means any spell with Vocal components, which IIRC all Bard spells have.

Batcathat
2020-09-30, 12:15 PM
I'd say "Language Dependent" sounds more like it'd be spells that depends on the target understanding the caster's language, but that's admittedly just a guess.

Daefos
2020-09-30, 01:38 PM
Seasinger trades Low-Light Vision for a +2 to Perform(Sing) and +1 to save DCs for 'Language Dependent' Spells. That kind of sounds like it means any spell with Vocal components, which IIRC all Bard spells have.

“Language dependent” is a tag that means that the target must understand you for it to work. See the Suggestion spell for an example; even if they fail their save, the spell does nothing if they can’t understand your command. It has nothing to do with Verbal components.

ChaosStar
2020-09-30, 03:07 PM
Looking over the Merfolk statblock in the PFSRD it seems like they get an unmentioned +8 to Swim. The sample Merfolk Warrior 1 has 10 Int, 13 Str, and a Swim of +13. Even putting 4 ranks in Swim would only get him a +5. It maybe just a mistake, or they didn't feel the need to mention the +8 anywhere for some reason.

Psyren
2020-09-30, 03:17 PM
It's in the Swim skill - all creatures with a swim speed get the +8 racial bonus, PF Merfolk included.

Kurald Galain
2020-09-30, 03:24 PM
So my next Disney expy is Ariel, the Merfolk Bard. My main question is should I use the 3.5 or Pathfinder version of merfolk? 3.5's have a +8 racial bonus to Swim checks but at +1 LA. Pathfinder's have no LA and a +2 Natural Armor.
To answer your questions: on any caster, you don't want LA, so PF's version is a better fit. Plus, +2 NA is nice to have.

And the seasinger trait is a good trade-off. Bards get the Light spell, so a +2 to sing and +1 to the DC of (e.g.) Suggestion is a better deal.

KillianHawkeye
2020-10-01, 12:41 PM
Didn't Ariel have no voice for most of the movie? And still managed to get the Prince?

stack
2020-10-01, 01:08 PM
Are you using PF races of 3.5 races for other PCs? PF races usually have higher net ability scores and than 3.5.

Firebug
2020-10-01, 05:34 PM
It's in the Swim skill - all creatures with a swim speed get the +8 racial bonus, PF Merfolk included.Having a PF Swim speed also allows you to take 10 regardless of circumstances, not just in non-threatening.