PDA

View Full Version : Can a ranger make potions that are 4th level for him but 3rd for a cleric?

eyebreaker7
2020-09-30, 04:29 PM
For example, can a ranger brew a cure serious wounds potion? It's a 4th level spell for a ranger but it's a 3rd for a cleric or bard. I'm guessing no but hope it's yes. lol.

Cure Serious Wounds
Conjuration (Healing)
Level: Brd 3, Clr 3, Drd 4, Pal 4, Rgr 4, Healing 3
This spell functions like cure light wounds, except that it cures 3d8 points of damage +1 point per caster level (maximum +15).

KillianHawkeye
2020-09-30, 05:02 PM
Pretty sure it's a no.

Thurbane
2020-09-30, 05:13 PM
No: if you're the one creating the potion, you check what level spell it is for you. You'd need levels in Master Alchemist or similar to create a 4th level potion. Unless, maybe, you used the rules about collaborating on a magic item? I've always been a bit hazy

Similarly, the existence of Healers means that Potions of Restoration (3rd spell level) can exist. I once ran a third party module that had these as loot, and I was stumped for an explanation that made sense until I remembered Healers get it at a lower level (although I'm pretty sure it was actually just sloppy writing).

Yogibear41
2020-10-01, 11:59 PM
If you have a cleric provide the spell for you as a 3rd level spell yes, if you try to make it alone as a ranger (using your 4th level spell) no.

eyebreaker7
2020-10-02, 04:24 PM
How do you make potions of spells above 3rd level? I didn't even know it was possible until someone mentioned it on here.

nedz
2020-10-02, 04:55 PM
How do you make potions of spells above 3rd level? I didn't even know it was possible until someone mentioned it on here.

Thurbane already mentioned the Master Alchemist (Magic of Faerûn p34) PrC.

tiercel
2020-10-03, 12:36 AM
If you have a cleric provide the spell for you as a 3rd level spell yes, if you try to make it alone as a ranger (using your 4th level spell) no.

By RAW, this (without specific abilities that override this limitation).

Having said that, it’s pretty arguably not going to break a game for a DM to houserule allowing a Ranger to brew CSW potions (given that most potions are generally considered to be pretty suboptimal anyway) — even if a Ranger is allowed to brew it “like a Cleric” (i.e. as a 3rd level spell at CL 5), you’re spending 375gp+30XP for a one-shot, standard-action-after-retrieval, AoO-provoking 3d8+5 (18.5 ave) hp heal. Compare this with a healing belt (MIC) and... yeah.