PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Dean Hardscrabble

Thurbane
2020-09-30, 04:36 PM
So, wife and I watched Monsters University recently, and while flicking through Savage Species, I had an idea.

Could Dean Hardscrabble be a Tauric Gargoyle/Monstrous Centipede? Or maybe Tauric Dragonkin/Giant Centipede?

https://i.imgur.com/B5rNrV8.jpg

Thoughts?

Cheers - T.

NontheistCleric
2020-09-30, 06:16 PM
I believe a Tauric creature gets the base creature's (the lower half) movement modes, so you'd either have to apply the flying to the centipede or to the combined product after the merger.

Half-Dragon Tauric Human/Monstrous Centipede explains all aspects of the appearance, at least, but I'm not sure if Dean Hardscrabble can breathe fire (or acid or whatever).

Bartmanhomer
2020-09-30, 06:19 PM
I wonder what's her alignment is. I'm guessing Lawful Neutral because she follows the rules and regulations and she runs a university. I saw Monster University as well. :smile:

Thurbane
2020-09-30, 06:54 PM
I believe a Tauric creature gets the base creature's (the lower half) movement modes, so you'd either have to apply the flying to the centipede or to the combined product after the merger.

Half-Dragon Tauric Human/Monstrous Centipede explains all aspects of the appearance, at least, but I'm not sure if Dean Hardscrabble can breathe fire (or acid or whatever).

A few half-dragon varieties don't get breath weapons, so maybe Half-Fang Dragon?

I wonder what's her alignment is. I'm guessing Lawful Neutral because she follows the rules and regulations and she runs a university. I saw Monster University as well. :smile:

Yeah, I'd guess at LN.

Thurbane
2020-09-30, 07:09 PM
Half-Fang Dragon Tauric Human/Large Monstrous Centipede?

So that means base HD would be 1 (for human) + 3 (for centipede)...then maybe levels in Expert (or factotum or whatever).

Another humanoid/monstrous might be better than human for this, to get extra HD and class skills for RHD.

This would be an NPC, so LA doesn't really matter.

Bartmanhomer
2020-09-30, 07:12 PM
Half-Fang Dragon Tauric Human/Large Monstrous Centipede?

So that means base HD would be 1 (for human) + 3 (for centipede)...then maybe levels in Expert (or factotum or whatever).

Another humanoid/monstrous might be better than human for this, to get extra HD and class skills for RHD.

This would be an NPC, so LA doesn't really matter.

I agree. She would be a great NPC for it. :biggrin:

Thurbane
2020-09-30, 07:27 PM
I agree. She would be a great NPC for it. :biggrin:

Max ranks in Intimidate I think :smallsmile:

Bartmanhomer
2020-09-30, 07:35 PM
Max ranks in Intimidate I think :smallsmile:

Cool! She's very intimidating and should also include adding ranks for Knowledge. :smile:

Toliudar
2020-10-01, 11:44 AM
+1 to giving her at least 3 levels of Factotum. For the aura of effortless cool and terrific physical skills.

Thurbane
2020-10-01, 09:17 PM
OK, so this is what I'm working with so far (I decided to move away from human to get better ability scores and more "free" HD):

Half-fang Dragon Tauric Yuant-ti Halfblood/Large Monstrous Centipede

Large Dragon

Hit Dice: 10d10+10
Initiative: +2
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares), climb 40 ft., fly 80 ft. (average)
Armor Class: 19 (-1 size, +2 Dex, +8 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 16
Base Attack/Grapple: +10/+19
Attack: Claw +14 (1d6+5)
Full Attack: 2 claws +14 melee (1d6+5) and bite +9 melee (1d8+2 + poison + Con drain)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Constitution drain, poison, produce acid, spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Alternate form, chameleon power, darkvision 60 ft., detect poison, immunity to sleep and paralysis effects, low-light vision, scent, spell resistance 16, vermin traits (?)
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +9, Will +11
Abilities: Str 21, Dex 15, Con 12, Int 20, Wis 18, Cha 18
Skills: Climb +18, Concentration +14, Diplomacy +6, Gather Information +12, Hide +23 (+33 when using chameleon power), Intimidate +10, Knowledge (history) +18, Knowledge (local) +18, Listen +19, Move Silently +8, Profession (dean) +10, Sense Motive +10, Spot +23
Feats: AlertnessB, Blind-FightB, (1), (3), (6), (9)
Environment: Urban
Organization: Solitary (?)
Challenge Rating: 4 (!?!)
Treasure: (?)
Alignment: Lawful neutral
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: (?)

This is before selecting feats, and adding class levels...

NontheistCleric
2020-10-01, 09:32 PM
If you're looking for a monstrous humanoid with Intimidate as a class skill, flipping through the Monster Manuals I see Hobgoblin Warsoul fits the bill. Not quite as wise or charismatic as the Halfblood, but it is tougher, smarter and gets some minions by default, fittingly for the mistress of a school.

It does have some spellcasting, but if you don't want to deal with that just give her the Arcane Strike feat and call it a day.

Thurbane
2020-10-01, 09:41 PM
If you're looking for a monstrous humanoid with Intimidate as a class skill, flipping through the Monster Manuals I see Hobgoblin Warsoul fits the bill. Not quite as wise or charismatic as the Halfblood, but it is tougher, smarter and gets some minions by default, fittingly for the mistress of a school.

It does have some spellcasting, but if you don't want to deal with that just give her the Arcane Strike feat and call it a day.

Yeah, I did have a look at Warsoul...but I think I'll stick with Yuan-ti. It's a little less "complex", and somehow feels like a better fit to me.

For feats, I'm thinking:

City Slicker adds Disguise, Forgery, Gather Information, and Knowledge (local) as skills
Martial Study (devoted spirit X) to get Intimidate as a class skill
Frightful Presence
Imperious Command

Full Attack: 2 claws +14 melee (1d6+5) and bite +9 melee (1d8+2 + poison + Con drain)
Special Qualities: Alternate form, chameleon power, darkvision 60 ft., detect poison, immunity to sleep and paralysis effects, low-light vision, scent, spell resistance 16, vermin traits (?)
Skills: Climb +15, Concentration +14, Diplomacy +6, Gather Information +19, Hide +23 (+33 when using chameleon power), Intimidate +17, Knowledge (arcana) +18, Knowledge (history) +18, Knowledge (local) +18, Listen +19, Profession (dean) +10, Sense Motive +10, Spot +23
Feats: AlertnessB, Blind-FightB, City Slicker, Martial Study (crusader's strike), Frightful Presence, Imperious Command

Bartmanhomer
2020-10-01, 10:51 PM
Yeah, I did have a look at Warsoul...but I think I'll stick with Yuan-ti. It's a little less "complex", and somehow feels like a better fit to me.

For feats, I'm thinking:

City Slicker adds Disguise, Forgery, Gather Information, and Knowledge (local) as skills
Martial Study (devoted spirit X) to get Intimidate as a class skill
Frightful Presence
Imperious Command

Skills: Climb +15, Concentration +14, Diplomacy +6, Gather Information +19, Hide +23 (+33 when using chameleon power), Intimidate +17, Knowledge (arcana) +18, Knowledge (history) +18, Knowledge (local) +18, Listen +19, Profession (dean) +10, Sense Motive +10, Spot +23
Feats: AlertnessB, Blind-FightB, City Slicker, Martial Study (crusader's strike), Frightful Presence, Imperious Command

That's awesome. I like it so far. :smile:

NontheistCleric
2020-10-02, 01:31 PM
If you want to save on those feats taken to get class skills, you could replace Half-Dragon with one of the specific varieties of Half-Fiend. (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060630x&page=3) Nabassu seems like it might fit.