PDA

View Full Version : 3.P to 5e

Ruethgar
2020-09-30, 09:18 PM
Was using an app for spirte character creation, but it also has options for a 5e character sheet and I was kind of curious if some of my characters would be possible in 5e.

The two that are in my mind are a telekinetic and a shadow daemon.

Telekinetic is an Elan and while he has a lot of other stuff, the big thing he would absolutely need to have telekinesis at will and transparent barriers for defense. Minorly, the ability to make extradimensional spaces, do some psychic divination, and a touch of mind magic.

The shadow daemon in a Lesser Fey’Ri Fiend of Possession able to create a shadow version of himself and exceptionally real Illusions with a host cohort who can create telekinetic shields to defend a half dozen people at once and bash people trying to attack anyone so defended.

OldTrees1
2020-09-30, 09:40 PM
5E does not have much in the way of "at will" magic. An arcane trickster rogue has an upgraded version of the mage hand cantrip. That is the closest you get to at will telekinesis.

5E does not have exceptional races. So the shadow demon would need to use class levels to replace some lost features. I think a trickery cleric or an echo knight fighter are the closest matches for the shadow duplicate.

In summary, 5E will not recreate these characters very well. Your new characters at their height might feel like aspects of your old characters.

Ignimortis
2020-09-30, 11:09 PM
Was using an app for spirte character creation, but it also has options for a 5e character sheet and I was kind of curious if some of my characters would be possible in 5e.

The two that are in my mind are a telekinetic and a shadow daemon.

Telekinetic is an Elan and while he has a lot of other stuff, the big thing he would absolutely need to have telekinesis at will and transparent barriers for defense. Minorly, the ability to make extradimensional spaces, do some psychic divination, and a touch of mind magic.

The shadow daemon in a Lesser Fey’Ri Fiend of Possession able to create a shadow version of himself and exceptionally real Illusions with a host cohort who can create telekinetic shields to defend a half dozen people at once and bash people trying to attack anyone so defended.

General power level and breadth of customization in 5e are far lower than in 3.5 or PF1. You can try to replicate some of that (the first one could be an abjuration or illusion Wizard with Rogue/Arcane Trickster levels, and the second one could be uhhhh Echo Knight with Illusion Wizard levels, I guess?), but they won't be nearly as powerful or versatile as they would be.

Ruethgar
2020-10-01, 12:09 AM
Those descriptions were for E6 characters... is the power differential really that great? Man Mystra’s new incarnation must really hate optimization. 😜Lol

OldTrees1
2020-10-01, 12:24 AM
Those descriptions were for E6 characters... is the power differential really that great? Man Mystra’s new incarnation must really hate optimization. 😜Lol

Indeed.
Force Screen (+4 AC for 1 combat) from 3E got downgraded to Shield (+5 AC for 1 round) in 5E.
Telekinesis at will (How in E6 did you manage that?) is downgraded to Arcane Trickster Mage Hand. Which is a mage hand with all the dexterity of both the rogue's hands.
Creating an extradimensional Rope Trick or owning a Bag of holding is still possible.
Psychic divination, and mind magic can be turned into Divination and Enchantment spells.

Ruethgar
2020-10-01, 12:48 AM
This particular one was using Gramarie Mark 2(Homebrew) for the Prime Mover prestige class, breached early via RAW reading of bloodlines. It isn’t telekinesis exactly, but rather bits an pieces of it through different powers. Mage Hand, Levitate, Telekinetic Force/Thrust/Maneuver.

However I could have just as easily taken two levels of ghost and the Ghostly Grasp feat to be functional on the material plane(maybe Human Heritage to be a sort of living ghost). Four levels and LA buy off trickery could get my Physical Manifestation as well to skip Ghostly Grasp.

Sculpt Self for all Sanctum Cantrips at will gives you free XP to work with that leaves you with way more than enough to get Telekinesis at will.

Create Device(Wand) with a static charger is near enough to unlimited uses per day to be at will(+1 charge every 1d4 rounds up to max).

Also psionics can be at will via Psycarnum Infusion and Azure Talent. Even if you skip that, Body Fuel has work arounds.

StP Erudite and Mind Mage existing lets you take any spell as a level one spell or power. It’s far from at will, but a level 6 Psion who was taught level 1 Telekinesis could manifest it 35 times a day before bonus PP which is more than enough to be practically at will for a typical 4 encounter adventuring day.

Unoriginal
2020-10-01, 04:40 AM

Optimization is "doing the most you can with have you have", not "having more".

That being said yes the power difference is that great. I consider this a good thing, but others will disagree. Which is fine, to each person their own tastes.

Ruethgar
2020-10-01, 08:48 AM
Eh, it probably is a good thing. I’ve limited myself to E6 on most of my characters because the power is far too great beyond it.

At one point I made a sentient living spell of Circle Magic War Word of Genesis. He was ‘born’ into a world where magic was abused and let the abyss breach. The last bastion of the mortal races were being protected by the few deities that didn’t just leave the land as a lost cause.
Asmodeus was there with a few high ranking devils as well, though not out of the goodness of his heart, but rather to see if the utter dispar and desperation would be able to fuel a spell to take out hordes of demon scum... and make a new world for the survivors from the power absorbed but that was secondary and necessary given that most of the survivors could read the spell work.
Long story short, the spell worked to an immense degree, fueled by the last hope of a dying world, the spell devoured half of the planet, voiding it of all magic as it created Egya.
Egya then went on to make his thousand realms. The first was normal, a sanctum for the survivors. But each one after had magic severely limited to prevent a catastrophe like what happened on his birth plane. All E6, limited classes in some, lesser potential in all. Basically giving me an excuse to tweak and adjust one world after another to lessen magical power without compromising freedom of choice and have them all narratively connected.

rlc
2020-10-01, 08:51 AM
There is a playtest feat that lets you push things with telekinesis

Xervous
2020-10-01, 09:14 AM
Sadly your concepts don’t appear to fit to 5e’s rails. There’s always discussions with your GM and homebrew which the system seems to imply or otherwise assume.

Ruethgar
2020-10-01, 10:48 AM
Sadly your concepts don’t appear to fit to 5e’s rails. There’s always discussions with your GM and homebrew which the system seems to imply or otherwise assume.

Yeah, the “if it isn’t there just homebrew it!” stance that 5e takes leaves kinda a bad taste in my mouth. Feels a lot like ‘we didn’t make a complete game so you the player get to pay us for you to finish it.’ Much prefer 3.5 for that since there’s at least a half dozen ways within the official rules to get any theme you pluck out of thin air to work mechanically.

Xervous
2020-10-01, 11:12 AM
Yeah, the “if it isn’t there just homebrew it!” stance that 5e takes leaves kinda a bad taste in my mouth. Feels a lot like ‘we didn’t make a complete game so you the player get to pay us for you to finish it.’ Much prefer 3.5 for that since there’s at least a half dozen ways within the official rules to get any theme you pluck out of thin air to work mechanically.

If it’s not your cup of tea go have some coffee or what have you. You can lament you don’t want to play in the empty TV box or you can do other stuff in slightly less empty boxes. With it being the latest thing I can see some issues if your options for play groups are getting washed out in the wave, but I’m wandering off topic here...

Tvtyrant
2020-10-01, 11:37 AM

And you can make even more characters within the rules using Mutants and Masterminds, and even more with every GURPS expansion. There's no such thing as a complete game that covers all possible scenarios, that's called life. 5E trades lots of nitty details for being easy to learn and play and being mostly balanced, you can't have both.

Ruethgar
2020-10-01, 11:59 AM
Hmmm another one that pops to mind that I’ve made a dozen ways is the Living Dancing Lights(via a body swap method) who uses his own magic body to fuel his power(Spheres of Power Draining Casting, or Tainted Sorcerer, or Body Fuel, or just Spellfire). Is there some form of blood magic or con-based casting in 5e? His powers were largely blasty and general magic manipulation(at the least dispel at the most spell stealing and absorption) in all of his incarnations so that part is pretty easy I feel. But the race and Con base are what concern me.

Unoriginal
2020-10-01, 12:30 PM
Hmmm another one that pops to mind that I’ve made a dozen ways is the Living Dancing Lights(via a body swap method) who uses his own magic body to fuel his power(Spheres of Power Draining Casting, or Tainted Sorcerer, or Body Fuel, or just Spellfire). Is there some form of blood magic or con-based casting in 5e? His powers were largely blasty and general magic manipulation(at the least dispel at the most spell stealing and absorption) in all of his incarnations so that part is pretty easy I feel. But the race and Con base are what concern me.

The Genasi race gives you access to a few CON-based innate spells. That's the only CON-casting of this edition, at least as far as official PC options go.

There are no official ways of fuelling any kind of power by damaging your HPs, as a PC. Self-mutilation is a rather inefficient combat technique, as Mollymauk Tealeaf demonstrated (his PC class was an homebrew which used that kind of mechanics, he put himself to 0 HPs trying to inflict temporary blindness to a boss).