PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Combined tool use

druidevo
2020-09-30, 10:19 PM
Ok large party (level 5s) with several NPC camp followers.

Between them they have a few Herbalist kit proficiency, (via A druid and a skill monkey rogue), and the kit itself.
They also have Cook's utensils (via a kingpin, google search "kingpin master of none 5e reddit" since I can't post links yet)
And there is a bard who can help via Jack of all trades.

With Herbalism kit one can make a healing potion that can heal one person 2d4+2 hp, it takes a day to brew with proper ingredients. (House rule this is a passive activity, you can set it up and walk away.)

With Cook's Utensils, during a short rest one can make a delicious meal and any one who eats it (limit 6 I think) can add a +1 to any hit dice rolled to regain hp.

Potion would average out to 6hp per potion, meal would average out to 6 hp per hit die rolled if every member rolled a hit die. Because I want this group to plan ahead, I'm willing to let them work in concert and make "Delicious Cakes of Healing", but I want your feedback.

"For the resource cost of the ingredients of 1 healing potion, 1 days rations, 30 minutes prep, and the rest of the day to set, they can make two cakes that when consumed on a short rest add 1d4+1 to any hit die rolled. Alternatively they can just be eaten as a day's ration for one adventurer. Limit 2 cakes per character involved in their creation"

So is this under or over powered considering it does a similar thing as goodberries but takes both Herbalist kit and Cook's utensils (point value wise goodberries is 10 pt, two tools is 20 pts, via Master of None from the DM's guild)

Thoughts?

druidevo
2020-10-01, 04:28 PM
Ok so either this is too esoteric a concept for people, or nobody cares.

heavyfuel
2020-10-01, 04:42 PM
I wouldn't call it overpowered. Potions allow people to yo-yo back into the fight, and the cake doesn't, so even if the cake does offer more healing overall, this isn't a big deal in a game that hands out out-of-combat healing like sweets on halloween.

It might be slightly problematic in the sense that you're compounding a "problem" (not everyone would consider it so) with the system and its plethora of healing by offering even more healing.

But no, 1d4+1 healing a few times per short rest isn't going to break anything by any measure.