PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder and +1/2 to the number of uses per day?

eyebreaker7
2020-09-30, 10:23 PM
I'm lost again. What good is "+1/2"??

Looking at the drow on page 103 in the Favored class options for cleric:
"Select one domain power granted at 1st level that is normally usable a number of times per day equal to 3+ the cleric's Wisdom modifier. The cleric adds +1/2 to the number of uses per day of that domain power."

I've seen other entries in the book for race/class options that add +1/2 for one reason or another but I don't see what the "bonus" does???

animewatcha
2020-09-30, 10:24 PM
To use the drow example you gave. Requires two levels of 'taking that bonus' for you to get an extra use.

Psyren
2020-09-30, 10:31 PM
You can instead read it as "every other level, get +1."

Crake
2020-09-30, 11:14 PM
It's half a use. It rounds down, so if you have a single half use, it does nothing, but if you have two half uses, that equals a full use.

eyebreaker7
2020-09-30, 11:26 PM
Ah ok. I didn't realize it increased as you level. Makes sense though. Duh me. lol.

EisenKreutzer
2020-10-01, 08:14 AM
Ah ok. I didn't realize it increased as you level. Makes sense though. Duh me. lol.

It doesn’t increase as you level. You need to take that favoured class bonus twice when you level up for the two +1/2s to add and become +1. So as long as you keep selecting that bonus, every 2 leveks you will get +1.

eyebreaker7
2020-10-01, 08:34 AM
It doesn’t increase as you level. You need to take that favoured class bonus twice when you level up for the two +1/2s to add and become +1. So as long as you keep selecting that bonus, every 2 leveks you will get +1.

I'm confused again. What am I selecting? What are the options? "Select one domain power granted at 1st level". You only get 2 domains so there's only ever going to be a +1 total?

Red Fel
2020-10-01, 08:41 AM
I'm confused again. What am I selecting? What are the options? "Select one domain power granted at 1st level". You only get 2 domains so there's only ever going to be a +1 total?

Okay. First, you need to understand what a Favored Class is. According to the PFSRD:

Each character begins play with a single favored class of his choosing—typically, this is the same class as the one he chooses at 1st level. Whenever a character gains a level in his favored class, he receives either + 1 hit point or + 1 skill rank. The choice of favored class cannot be changed once the character is created, and the choice of gaining a hit point or a skill rank each time a character gains a level (including his first level) cannot be changed once made for a particular level.
(Source. (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/Classes/character-advancement/#Favored_Class))

So, you pick your Favored Class at level 1, and taking levels in it gives you a choice of +1 HP or +1 skill rank.

However, races also have alternate Favored Class benefits - benefits exclusive to when that particular race takes that particular class - which they can choose instead of +1 HP or +1 skill rank. Let's look at Drow with Clerics.

Select one domain power granted at 1st level that is normally usable a number of times per day equal to 3 + the cleric’s Wisdom modifier. The cleric adds +1/2 to the number of uses per day of that domain power.

This means that if you are playing a Drow, and at first level choose Cleric as your Favored Class, you can select +1 HP per level, +1 skill rank per level, or the bonus above. Let's assume you pick the bonus above. What does it mean?

Well, first, you select one first-level domain power normally usable 3+WIS times per day. You're not gaining a new power, you're just picking one of the ones you already get. Every second level of Cleric you take, you can increase the number of daily uses of that power by one. (That's indicated by the +1/2.)

Make sense?

eyebreaker7
2020-10-01, 09:01 AM
Well, first, you select one first-level domain power normally usable 3+WIS times per day. You're not gaining a new power, you're just picking one of the ones you already get. Every second level of Cleric you take, you can increase the number of daily uses of that power by one. (That's indicated by the +1/2.)

Make sense?

Wow I didn't know you could do that every favored class level.
Thank you very much for clearing that up.