PDA

View Full Version : Wait, how can Eugene be trusted to scry for Roy? (Spoilers)

BisectedBrioche
2007-11-02, 06:46 AM
For all we know he's using one of the illusions that he prides himself so much in to screw around with :roy:.

Fussy
2007-11-02, 06:53 AM
Can he create such an enormous illusion?

Also, a lot of plotlines that might have ended up in a marriage service have been going on when Roy wasn't present - and I'd assume that Eugene was just scrying on Roy, making sarcastic comments under his breath. Maybe occasionally scrying of Xykon. So why would he create an illusion of a marriage?

chibibar
2007-11-02, 06:53 AM
I don't think so. I think Roy has to concentrate on who he wants to scry. Eugene just makes a pool.

Migodnar
2007-11-02, 07:42 AM
If Eugene really wanted to use an illusion to make fun of Roy he would probably make an illusion of the entire OoTS dying or something, THAT would scare him.

Tokahfang
2007-11-02, 09:12 AM
If Eugene really wanted to use an illusion to make fun of Roy he would probably make an illusion of the entire OoTS dying or something, THAT would scare him.

Presumably Durkon would show up on the mountain if he were dead, so that would be a pretty short term fantasy.

PerryTatchett
2007-11-02, 09:24 AM
I don't think its part of Eugene's personality to create a scene of marriage. Even if he were trying to screw around with Roy, I don't think marriage would be the first thing to pop into his head.

TRM
2007-11-02, 12:59 PM
Eugene would probably show Xykon taking over the world, just to rub it in more that :roy: failed.

Wolfie_1066
2007-11-02, 01:33 PM
but he IS'NT scrying for roy, the plane (that is the cloud as its stated in erlier comics that its a lower plane) is (this is my theory) close to the material plane in such a way that anyone who can concentrate hard enough can create a scrying pool from they're own willpower, that means that eugene is'nt doing it for him he was just saying that he would do it for him to show off/to "not fall for reverse psycology" as he put it so it is ROY thats scrying not eugene...unless theres something i missed (just read over the last comic and note that eugene said he would tell him not to scry, not scry for him and its ROY that concentrated hard not eugene)

PS: im sorry for any typos or scatterbrained remarks i might have thrown in there...

Roderick_BR
2007-11-02, 01:51 PM
He'll do it just to show Roy that wizards are better than fighters. He doesn't need to do anything else.

KBF
2007-11-02, 01:54 PM
but he IS'NT scrying for roy, the plane (that is the cloud as its stated in erlier comics that its a lower plane) is (this is my theory) close to the material plane in such a way that anyone who can concentrate hard enough can create a scrying pool from they're own willpower, that means that eugene is'nt doing it for him he was just saying that he would do it for him to show off/to "not fall for reverse psycology" as he put it so it is ROY thats scrying not eugene...unless theres something i missed (just read over the last comic and note that eugene said he would tell him not to scry, not scry for him and its ROY that concentrated hard not eugene)

PS: im sorry for any typos or scatterbrained remarks i might have thrown in there...

No, you need to have a scrying spell. That's why Roy needed to wait for an Archon.

OffSide7
2007-11-02, 04:33 PM
All I want to say is... If it turns out Eugene is not tricking Roy somehow, I find the entire thing impossible to accept. How could a wizard be stupid enough, with all his planning and trickery so far, to fall for reverse psychology, even if someone isn't using it? (Or even if Roy is, either way.)

Other than that... all is good and fun.

(Oh, and Eugene has shown that people can affect the world below them, even if it's not started by scrying. What's up with that.)

factotum
2007-11-02, 06:21 PM
If Roy isn't using reverse psychology then Eugene isn't falling for it, is he? Anyway, I think it's pretty clear that Eugene's intelligence is frequently suborned by his emotions whenever he's dealing with Roy--a high intellect does not turn you into Mr. Spock.

Kurald Galain
2007-11-02, 07:28 PM
All I want to say is... If it turns out Eugene is not tricking Roy somehow, I find the entire thing impossible to accept. How could a wizard be stupid enough, with all his planning and trickery so far, to fall for reverse psychology, even if someone isn't using it?

Eugene didn't really not want to scry; after all, he has little else to do on that cloud now that Violet is gone. He simply wanted to piss off Roy, and was taken aback by Roy's lack of a pissed-off response.

sednanalien
2007-11-03, 05:54 AM
Eugene has too big an ego not to show off his scrying. Furthermore, irregardless of how big a jerk he is, and how bitter he has become, he is still technically LG, and I think deceiving Roy about such a thing seems beyond him.

BisectedBrioche
2007-11-03, 11:18 AM
How do we know that Roy was actually successful with his unintentional reverse psychology? Maybe Eugene thought he was still trying to use it and decided to teach him a lesson?

OffSide7
2007-11-04, 01:28 AM
I think it is possible to fall for reverse psychology even if someone isn't intentionally using it on you. Maybe "falls for" isn't the right way to phrase it, but Eugene still seems to be, out of character-ly enough, to be influenced by it. Despite him being completely aware of the concept.

"...if only so that I can be there when your pathetic attempt at reverse psychology fails."

This makes no sense. If he scries, then the RP worked. Roy wants a scry, he pretends not to, Eugene scries. He might have meant when whatever it is Roy wants to come out of the scry to fail.

And I agree that emotions sometimes get in the way of one's intellect, but this is going a bit too far for me to swallow.

And if Eugene really does want to scry because he's bored, that's the worst face-saving attempt I've ever seen. He can do better that come off like an idiot.

The Extinguisher
2007-11-04, 01:34 AM
No, I thinks it's more, he wants to help Roy, but since the only way they seem to be able to communicate is through exchanging verbal blows, he feels the need to antagonize him while he is helping him. I mean, if he didn't want to help him, he wouldn't have demanded Roy to let him scry.

Gitman00
2007-11-04, 03:05 AM
No, I thinks it's more, he wants to help Roy, but since the only way they seem to be able to communicate is through exchanging verbal blows, he feels the need to antagonize him while he is helping him. I mean, if he didn't want to help him, he wouldn't have demanded Roy to let him scry.

I think Roy hit the nail on the head when he blamed Eugene's ego. He knows Roy's going to get his scrying done one way or another. He just wants to be the one to do it. EUGENE was the one trying to use reverse psychology, to make Roy beg him to scry for him, (or at least somehow admit that he needs Eugene). Roy called his bluff, and his pride wouldn't let him accept that he's no longer necessary.

Kreistor
2007-11-04, 11:38 AM
Faking the scrying serves no purpose for Eugene whatsoever. Roy is dead. Believing a lie about his friends' presents can't help Eugene with getting Xykon killed.

If, however, Roy beleives that lie, and then learns of it by actually being resurrected, then Roy will never believe Eugene if Eugene ever has real information to give to him.

Lying can only get Eugene in trouble, or have no effect. It can not help him. Telling the truth can restore some faith in Roy, or have no effect. Eugene is smart enough to figure that out.

NikkTheTrick
2007-11-04, 11:50 AM
Faking the scrying serves no purpose for Eugene whatsoever. Roy is dead. Believing a lie about his friends' presents can't help Eugene with getting Xykon killed.

If, however, Roy beleives that lie, and then learns of it by actually being resurrected, then Roy will never believe Eugene if Eugene ever has real information to give to him.

Lying can only get Eugene in trouble, or have no effect. It can not help him. Telling the truth can restore some faith in Roy, or have no effect. Eugene is smart enough to figure that out.
Then again, what purpose did Eugene have for making fun of how Roy was afraid to die during the trial? That got Eugene his blood oath shoved where sun does not shine. Fortunately for Eugene, Roy is Lawful Good and, therefore, went ahead with his mission to save the world.

That said, I doubt Eugene is faking it.