PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Smiling Trickster [Roguish Archetype]

JNAProductions
2020-10-01, 11:04 AM
Smiling Trickster

Spellcasting
When you reach third level, you gain limited spellcasting. See the Eldritch Knight or Arcane Trickster tables in the Player's Handbook for spells per day and spells known.

Cantrips
You learn three cantrips from the Smiling Trickster spell list. You learn one more at tenth level.

Spellcasting Ability
Charisma is your spellcasting ability.

Sly Devil
Also at third level, you're able to set little tricksy traps with your spells. When you cast a spell, you may choose to have the effects delayed, for a number of rounds no greater than your proficiency bonus. For instance-if you cast Guidance at third level, you could target an ally, wish them well with your spell, and have the effects only begin two rounds later. Or, you could cast Greater Invisibility at twentieth level, choosing to delay it for six rounds, go on stage, give a good speech, and then turn invisible without appearing to have cast a spell.

If the spell requires Concentration, you must Concentrate on the spell immediately when it is cast, and maintain Concentration as normal or lose the spell. Note that the duration does not start until the spell has actually been cast.

Encouraging Casting
At ninth level, whenever you cast a spell that targets one or more allies, you may choose to grant them one of two bonuses. YYou may either give them THP equal to the spell's level plus your proficiency bonus, or a bonus on their next d20 roll equal to 1d4 plus the spell's level. Whichever bonus is granted, it fades after one minute. Cantrips, for this ability, count as level zero.

Eyes On Me!
At thirteenth level, you may put on a display that draws eyes towards you. As a bonus action, you may make a dramatic flourish that catches the attention of one or more creatures you choose within 60'. If they fail a Wisdom Save against your spell DC, they are compelled to focus on you until the start of your next turn, as their eyes are inexorably drawn towards you. They suffer disadvantage on any attack rolls that target someone other than you, and any saves they force against anyone but you are made with advantage, unless the same ability that forces the save also includes you. (For example: a Fireball that includes you in the AoE would have saves made normally, but one that does not include you would have all saves made at advantage.)

This ability lasts until the start of your next turn, or until you break line of sight to the creature(s) affected. Note that the effected creature(s) merely closing their eyes is not sufficient to break this ability-there must be an actual obstruction between you and them.

Casting Nexus
At seventeenth level, you are able to act as a medium for casting abilities. This has two abilities.

Firstly, you are able to gain spells from others. You can gain a number of spell levels equal to twice your proficiency bonus total-any attempts to gain spells past this limit fail. Over the course of a long rest, another friendly caster may bequeath to you spell slots and spells known, up to your limit. For example-a friendly Wizard could give you Meteor Swarm along with a 9th level slot, and Fireball along with a 3rd level slot. These are added to your spells known and slots available until you finish your next long rest. The Wizard would not lose the spells known, but would lose the spell slots given to you.

Secondly, you are able to give spells to others. The recipient can gain a number of spell levels equal to their proficiency bonus-any attempts to give spells past this limit fail. Over the course of a long rest, you may give the spell slots and spells known, up to their limit. For example-you could give Bless and a 1st level slot, as well as Expeditious Retreat and another 1st level slot to a friendly 3rd level Fighter. These are added to their spells known and slots available until they finish their next long rest. You lost the slots given, but not the spells known.

Both abilities may be performed over the same long rest. Cantrips may not be given or received. And finally, the spellcasting stat used is that of the original caster-in the first example, the Smiling Trickster would use the Wizard's spellcasting stat (Intelligence) instead of Charisma, for the given spells.

Smiling Trickster Spell List
Control Flames
Dancing Lights
Friends
Guidance
Gust
Light
Mage Hand
Mending
Prestidigitation
Resistance
Shape Water
Vicious Mockery
Alarm
Animal Friendship
Bless
Catapult
Ceremony
Charm Person
Command
Compelled Duel
Comprehend Languages
Cure Wounds
Detect Magic
Dissonant Whispers
Expeditious Retreat
Faerie Fire
False Life
Fog Cloud
Grease
Healing Word
Heroism
Illusory Script
Longstrider
Sanctuary
Sleep
Speak With Animals
Aid
Alter Self
Animal Messenger
Blur
Calm Emotions
Darkvision
Detect Thoughts
Enhance Ability
Enlarge/Reduce
Enthrall
Gust Of Wind
Invisibility
Magic mouth
Mirror Image
Misty Step
Pass Without Trace
See Invisibility
Silence
Skywrite
Spider Climb
Suggestion
Zone Of Truth
Catnap
Daylight
Enemies Abound
Fly
Major Image
Nondetection
Phantom Steed
Sending
Tongues
Water Breathing
Water Walk
Wind Wall
Compulsion
Confusion
Control Water
Dimension Door
Fabricate
Freedom Of Movement
Greater Invisibility
Hallucinatory Terrain
Stone Shape

So what I'm least sure is the spell list. It's VERY utility and support heavy, with minimal direct damage options. Still-feels a little cluttered.

Any advice or critiques, gladly appreciated!

Talking to one of my friends, they're concerned about the level nine ability. They suggested a replacement, which I'll write below:

Hidden Casting
At ninth level, when you cast a spell, you may attempt to hide that. If the spell uses material and/or somatic components, use a Sleight of Hand check. If the spell uses verbal components, use Deception. If it includes both, use both checks. When you cast a spell, you may roll the appropriate check(s) against another creature's passive Insight. If you beat their passive Insight, they do not realize that you just cast a spell, unless they have other means of perceiving it.

Twelvetrees
2020-10-03, 01:34 AM
Spellcasting
How do you figure out spells known?

Sly Devil
I like this ability quite a bit. It encourages smart play and for players to think of creative uses for existing spells.

Encouraging Casting
The temporary hit points piece of this ability is a little weak, if anything, because they only last for a minute.

On the other hand, the bonus to the d20 roll stacks with Guidance (and Resistance), which means that in any situation where Guidance can be freely cast, a Smiling Trickster will outdo a Bard’s bardic inspiration at 9th level. While it’s only better for a level, it remains about on par for the next five levels. That seems a little strong, especially because the two abilities can be freely added to one another. My advice would be to remove the option for it to work with cantrips.

Eyes on Me!
The combination of a huge area, a bonus action to use, and unlimited uses make this ability extremely potent, likely too much so. I’d limit it in one of these places.

Off the top of my head, it is entirely possible for a Smiling Trickster to make good use of this ability by using it and simply Dodging as well to give any enemy who failed the save disadvantage on all of their attacks.

And even if they don’t go to that extreme, mass disadvantage is hard to pass up. I’d be hard pressed to want to use the other options Cunning Action presents rogues if this ability was also on the table.

Casting Nexus
Are spells known limited in some fashion? Right now, it appears that you could be given something like a 9th level slot and a 3rd level slot, plus however many spells known that the caster felt like giving you. I realize this is likely a deliberate misinterpretation of how the ability works, but it serves as a good reason to tighten the wording on spells known.

This feature feels open to exploitation, especially with the Smiling Trickster’s extensive list of spells. Nothing has jumped out to me yet, but giving your entire party the ability to cast Healing Word or Invisibility are the sort of tactics that come to mind.

Hidden Casting
While I agree that Encouraging Casting is strong, I’m much more concerned about the later features. Hidden Casting feels like a less dependable version of the sorcerer’s Subtle Spell metamagic. It fits, but it feels lackluster.

Overall assessment
I’m left with the sense that it’s a little too strong. The first couple features are decent, but the last two are unquestionably powerful. None of them feel like ribbons, they’re just straight boosts. Add in a spellcasting list made up of some of the best utility spells in the game and you’ve got a subclass that overshadows the existing rogue subclasses.

It’s undeniable you know what you’re doing – none of these features on their own are jumping out to me as terribly, horrendously broken. But as a complete suite of abilities that all complement one another, it’s a little much.

You really know how to nail a theme. Everything here fits with the name you chose for the subclass extremely well. :smallsmile:

Old Harry MTX
2020-10-03, 03:42 AM
There are only few things I dislike in this subclass, and all about Casting Nexus. IMHO it's a bit late introduce it at 17th, since it add a complete new mechanic, I would probably put it in place of Encouraging Casting, adding some progressive limitation on number of uses.

For the rest, is nice!

JNAProductions
2020-10-03, 01:52 PM
Casting
As per EK and AT. Forgot to add that, should be in now.

Sly Devil
Thanks. :)

Encouraging Casting
That would make it REAL weak. At level 20, you get 11 spells per day. I do hear your issue, though-any suggestions for a replacement?

Eyes On Me!
Would making it an action, you think, be enough?

Casting Nexus
You only get a total of spells known equal to twice your prof bonus (for the Trickster) or your prof bonus (for anyone else).

And bear in mind, you only get 13 spells known as a Smiling Trickster. Though admittedly, I hadn't actually SAID that, so that's on me!

Hidden Casting
Again, any other suggestions for a 9th level feature?

For Old Harry-do you think that, with the limits based on proficiency bonus, I could wholesale move it to 9th level?

I'd need a new capstone, though...

Old Harry MTX
2020-10-04, 03:12 PM
For Old Harry-do you think that, with the limits based on proficiency bonus, I could wholesale move it to 9th level?

I'd need a new capstone, though...

Mmm yes, with that limit it should be fine at level 9th as it is, together with Encouraging Casting.

For the new capstone at 17th level, you can also think of an Improved version of one of those two features.

Twelvetrees
2020-10-11, 08:26 PM
Encouraging Casting
That would make it REAL weak. At level 20, you get 11 spells per day. I do hear your issue, though-any suggestions for a replacement?

That's a good point. At the same time, I do think it forces Smiling Trickters into picking Guidance or Resistance if they want to make use of it as it is written right now.

Given that, I've got two suggestions.

The first would be to lean into this feature working really well with Guidance and to do something like giving that cantrip to them for free or giving them the ability to use it as a bonus action.

My other suggestion would be to go in the opposite direction. Don't make it work with cantrips, but give it more power because it can only be used with a limited number of spells. More temporary hit points (equal to your level?), advantage on their next d20 roll, something like that.

Eyes On Me!
Would making it an action, you think, be enough?

I think that would work quite well.

Casting Nexus
You only get a total of spells known equal to twice your prof bonus (for the Trickster) or your prof bonus (for anyone else).

And bear in mind, you only get 13 spells known as a Smiling Trickster. Though admittedly, I hadn't actually SAID that, so that's on me!

I think I understand this now. Thanks for clearing that up.

I did notice something new while looking this ability over - this ability appears to allow you to take a spell you gained from someone else and give it to another person. Was this intended? For example, I think you could have a friendly wizard give you Tenser's Transformation and then you could turn around and give it to a friendly fighter.

Hidden Casting
Again, any other suggestions for a 9th level feature?

See the suggestions above. Old Harry MTX's suggestion of moving Casting Nexus has merit as well.

JNAProductions
2021-01-22, 09:54 AM
Seeing about using this in a game-anyone got any other critiques or advice on making it better?

MinotaurWarblad
2021-01-22, 11:18 AM
Somewhat like what I said before on my recruitment page, but I'll repost it here with tweaks to the higher level stuff:

• Remove the d4 boost option from Encouraging Casting -- the temporary hit points are good enough for a feature like this. If your targets find a couple easy ways to nab resistance to a damage type, this is just as good as something like the bard's Song of Rest or the Inspiring Speech feat.
• Eyes On Me should either be usable twice per short rest or a number of times per long rest equal to proficiency bonus.
• To make Casting Nexus sane, you'll have to downgrade the spells the smiling trickster can give to others to those it can cast on its own or make it so that it can only acquire temporary spells known from others (and not spell slots) but let them get twice proficiency bonus in spell levels too. The former option is more personally powerful, since it can still allow the character to cast 9th level spells, but it is less broken than my other potential fix. The second option is a nerf, but still allows the rogue to give a 9th level spell known to a caster that normally doesn't get that spell on its list (see wish to a druid, shapechange to a cleric, or true resurrection to a non-divine soul sorcerer with twin spell!), though I still think that's broken as hell even with you only getting it as late as you do. But that's epic tier for ya. :smalltongue: And it'd be fun either way.
Ultimately, whichever you pick, that last feature makes a smiling trickster every sorcerer's best friend.