PDA

View Full Version : Is there any way to make an ironwood item permanant?

eyebreaker7
2020-10-01, 02:16 PM
I know it would last at least 11 days but I'd have to pay to have it made all the time.

Ironwood
Transmutation
Level: Drd 6
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 minute/lb. created
Range: 0 ft.
Effect: An ironwood object weighing up to 5 lb./level
Duration: One day/level (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No
Ironwood is a magical substance created by druids from normal wood. While remaining natural wood in almost every way, ironwood is as strong, heavy, and resistant to fire as steel. Spells that affect metal or iron do not function on ironwood. Spells that affect wood do affect ironwood, although ironwood does not burn. Using this spell with wood shape or a wood-related Craft check, you can fashion wooden items that function as steel items. Thus, wooden plate armor and wooden swords can be created that are as durable as their normal steel counterparts. These items are freely usable by druids.

Further, if you make only half as much ironwood as the spell would normally allow, any weapon, shield, or suit of armor so created is treated as a magic item with a +1 enhancement bonus.

Material Component
Wood shaped into the form of the intended ironwood object.

Venger
2020-10-01, 02:39 PM
Why can't you spare one 6th every 11 days?

eyebreaker7
2020-10-01, 02:41 PM
I'm not making the character high enough level to do it. At least not to start. Plus I'd like a sword & a shield. Also you would be able to enchant it with added abilities if it's permanent. That's a big deal there. At least for me :)

KillianHawkeye
2020-10-01, 02:42 PM
Why can't you spare one 6th every 11 days?

He's presumably not a Druid himself (or too low level to cast it himself) and is paying one to cast this spell for him for some reason.

Venger
2020-10-01, 02:45 PM
Why are you playing a druid if you want to do sword and board? You don't need ironwood to be permanent if you want armor enhancements. If you use ironwood to make a magic item, that item stays +1 even after the duration of ironwood expires. It just turns back into normal wood every 2 or 3 weeks until you refresh the spell.

He's presumably not a Druid himself (or too low level to cast it himself) and is paying one to cast this spell for him for some reason.

I assumed he was a druid because if he weren't, he could just use metal armor.

eyebreaker7
2020-10-01, 04:29 PM
Barbarian and/or druid. Undecided.

eyebreaker7
2020-10-01, 09:56 PM
What about a limited wish, wish or miracle spell?

Venger
2020-10-01, 10:08 PM
gm dependent, obviously, but that's way weaker than any of the listed fx for limited wish, so that should be fine.

Maat Mons
2020-10-01, 10:43 PM
Unapproachable East had Bluewood, which can be used to craft both weapons and armor.

Eberron Campaign Setting and Arms and Equipment Guide both have Bronzewood, which can also be used to make both armor and weapons.

Magic of Faerun has Duskwood, which can be used to make weapons (and breastplates).

Races of the Wild has Wildwood, which can be used to make armor.

I feel that Bluewood is really the best.

I only just noticed, but Iron Wood lists the original wooden object as a material component. That means it's destroyed when the spell is cast. Iron Wood then creates an entirely new wooden object as it Effect, so that disappears when the duration expires.

eyebreaker7
2020-10-01, 11:13 PM
Duskwood doesn't work well as armor; it can't be shaped into rings like steel, and overlapping plates don't flex well. (Even the wood shape spell can't create the level of detail needed.) However, duskwood breastplates are possible, with the following statistics: armor bonus +5, maximum Dex bonus +4, armor check penalty -2, arcane spell failure 20%. A duskwood breastplate is treated as light armor for the purposes of movement and other limitations.

Duskwood weighs half as much as steel, has hardness 10, and has 30 hit points per inch of thickness.

Market-Price Modifier: Weapon +1,500 gp; breastplate +3,000 gp.

Does this mean shields can't be made either? It doesn't say they CAN but I don't see why not.

Venger
2020-10-01, 11:17 PM
Is there a reason you don't want to use darkwood or dragon hide?

eyebreaker7
2020-10-01, 11:31 PM
I didn't see the info for Darkwood the first time I looked. That would work too. As for dragon hide I don't see myself acquiring that any time soon.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-10-01, 11:34 PM
Acorn of far travel (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20040710a) is a druid 4 spell; find someplace that is timeless with regards to magic (like the Astral Plane, which is cheap and easy enough to get to if you have access to a nomad psion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/astralCaravan.htm)), use plant growth (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/plantGrowth.htm#:~:text=Overgrowth,or%20force%20a% 20way%20through.) (a druid 3 spell) to turn an acorn into a fully-grown tree. Then use hallow (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/hallow.htm) (druid 5) under the tree, tying ironwood (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/ironwood.htm) to it, such that anything wooden you're carrying has it cast on them.

Voila. Permanent ironwood spell on everything you own, so long as it's on your person. And you can do most of it yourself, if you buy the scrolls for it.

[edit] Find a dweomerkeeper to cast hallow for you to cut the cost by about 6,000 gp.

Saintheart
2020-10-02, 12:28 AM
Not a complete solution, but arguably Unguent of Timelessness allows the ironwood object to exist for 11 years instead of 11 days.

Unguent of Timelessness
When applied to any matter that was once alive this ointment allows that substance to resist the passage of time. Each year of actual time affects the substance as if only a day had passed. The coated object gains a +1 resistance bonus on all saving throws. The unguent never wears off, although it can be magically removed (by dispelling the effect, for instance).

Ironwood is almost like natural wood in every way, and thus includes that it was matter that was once alive.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-10-02, 12:36 AM
Not a complete solution, but arguably Unguent of Timelessness allows the ironwood object to exist for 11 years instead of 11 days.

Ironwood is almost like natural wood in every way, and thus includes that it was matter that was once alive.Quintessence (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/quintessence.htm) would last forever unless destroyed, but it's a lot more fragile.