PDA

View Full Version : Any rules for using ioun stones in another way?

eyebreaker7
2020-10-01, 02:43 PM
"When a character first acquires a stone, she must hold it and then release it, whereupon it takes up a circling orbit 1d3 feet from her head."

I have a character that would like to make a couple ioun charms to put in her hair.

Crake
2020-10-01, 02:50 PM
Ioun stones are simply slotless items, I'm sure you can convince your DM to let you make hair ornaments out of them.

Kurald Galain
2020-10-01, 02:54 PM
You can also implant ioun stones (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/h-l/ioun-stones/#Implanted_Ioun_Stones), so putting them in your hair doesn't seem much of a stretch.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-10-01, 03:06 PM
The Arms & Equipment Guide has the ioun blade, a sword that has a space where you can insert an ioun stone. Either add sizing and morphing to an ioun blade or lift the enhancement and add it to a decorative (but still functional) stiletto and use it to hold your hair in place (assuming you have any and aren't a dragonborn warforged, or something).

Or add the enhancement to a poison ring (Dragon Compendium) and use it as the ring's setting.

KillianHawkeye
2020-10-01, 03:07 PM
I've even heard of this guy who made a gauntlet to hold six of them! :smallwink:

eyebreaker7
2020-10-01, 03:24 PM
The implanting looks nice. You have to use the stone and fast to attune/bind it to you. What if you do it with the one that "Sustains creature without food or water"??? lol. Would that work? And just how long does it let you go without actually eating/drinking? Seems like there's got to be some sort of limit. Otherwise you'd die if you stopped using the stone.

Batcathat
2020-10-01, 03:28 PM
The implanting looks nice. You have to use the stone and fast to attune/bind it to you. What if you do it with the one that "Sustains creature without food or water"??? lol. Would that work? And just how long does it let you go without actually eating/drinking? Seems like there's got to be some sort of limit. Otherwise you'd die if you stopped using the stone.

Considering everything else D&D magic is capable of, keeping someone alive without food and water seems like it'd be easy. Though it is an interesting question of what would happen to someone who stopped using it after a few years or so. I'd probably just say they would need food and water again from that point on but there are certainly less... charitable interpretations.

Biggus
2020-10-01, 04:10 PM
There are also Wayfinders in Pathfinder: https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/r-z/wayfinder-standard/

KillianHawkeye
2020-10-01, 07:55 PM
Though it is an interesting question of what would happen to someone who stopped using it after a few years or so. I'd probably just say they would need food and water again from that point on but there are certainly less... charitable interpretations.

What's the alternative? That they immediately starve to death?

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-10-01, 08:07 PM
You could always add the effects of the ioun stones you want to other magic items, as per the rules in the MIC. This includes things like quori power link shards, which are implanted in the body anyway.

tomandtish
2020-10-01, 11:45 PM
Back in the before times (AD&D), the Forgotten Realms novel "Pool of Radiance" had a character with ioun stones contained in the hilt of his daggers and getting the benefits. So there's some arguable precedent.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-10-01, 11:50 PM
Back in the before times (AD&D), the Forgotten Realms novel "Pool of Radiance" had a character with ioun stones contained in the hilt of his daggers and getting the benefits. So there's some arguable precedent.As I said above, the ioun blade from the A&EG.

Batcathat
2020-10-02, 12:13 AM
What's the alternative? That they immediately starve to death?

Something like it that. It wouldn't be very logical, but along the same lines as the rather classic situation in fiction "person loses their immortality and immediately ages to death".

Silly Name
2020-10-02, 04:59 AM
Something like it that. It wouldn't be very logical, but along the same lines as the rather classic situation in fiction "person loses their immortality and immediately ages to death".

I feel like the word "sustains" implies the magic of the ioun stones provides your body with the nutrients necessary to function normally (and probably stops you from feeling hungry and thirsty). If the ioun stone is take off/deactivated, you don't suddenly lose all that sustenance you gained previously.

It'd be a nice twist for a darker campaign, though, having a powerful wizard get hit with Dispel Magic/Disjunction and panicking for a moment before kneeling over due to starvation and thirst accumulated over the years coming to collect the debts.

Batcathat
2020-10-02, 05:29 AM
I feel like the word "sustains" implies the magic of the ioun stones provides your body with the nutrients necessary to function normally (and probably stops you from feeling hungry and thirsty). If the ioun stone is take off/deactivated, you don't suddenly lose all that sustenance you gained previously.

Agreed, that would be my first interpretation as well. I was just pointing out that there's some precedent in fiction for the nastier interpretation.