PDA

View Full Version : MnM or DnD?

PnP Fan
2007-11-02, 08:02 AM
Okay, I've been conversing with Grynning about the virtues of Mutants and Masterminds, and I was wondering something.

Has anyone tried to run a D&D style game using the MnM game mechanic? It seems like it ought to be possible, but I was wondering if anyone had tried it out, and how well it worked. With all of the balance concerns of D&D, I would think that using MnM would be a good way to remove some of that, since MnM is so stable a game system (I'm talking about 2nd ed MnM btw).

Thoughts?

sun_tzu
2007-11-02, 08:07 AM
I've actually been thinking of doing something like that lately, making a hybrid of D&D and M&M (For instance, the ability to cast wizard spells would be a "power"...one that cost a lot of points per rank). Nothing concrete yet, though.

Green Bean
I'm in a DnD-style fantasy game using M&M on these boards right now, and it seems to be working fine. It's great when you want that epic hero feel, where your warriors and sorcerers stand head and shoulders above ordinary mortals.

Nerd-o-rama
Yo. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57090)

Also, here (http://plothook.net/RPG/forumdisplay.php?f=783), although I only spectate that one.

StickMan
I've never don't it my self but I've seen it done. There is a very diffrent feel to MnM that DnD, well its more balanced for one but thats not the point. You're not limited with MnM and there are no levels very different feel to the game if you have ever played. If you want wizards who can cast all day MnM is great and its balancing but its like comparing apples to oranges on how things work.

PnP Fan
2007-11-02, 08:23 AM
Okay, since there are folks who've done or seen it done, I'll elaborate on my concerns.

Treasure? How do you handle defeating the dragon (or whatever), and collecting his horde, which undoubtedly contains magic items that would give the players more power points (in the form of a device power).

My original thoughts were to start off at low MnM levels (4th or 5th) and to award levels periodically, independant of xp (standard MnM style, but probably more often). Does this work?

Wealth? Usually wealth is ignored in MnM games, but obviously it's more important in your typical fantasy game. How do you adjudicate wealth in MnM?

BardicDuelist
2007-11-02, 12:08 PM
Worked on it for a while, then realized my players didn't want to play it, so stuck with regular D&D.

I did do a Highlander RPG type game which used a variation on M&M (such as folding most D&D feats into it, etc).