PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Rogue + barbarian or ranger?

eyebreaker7
2020-10-01, 10:39 PM
Going off one of my other creations I'm trying to decide between barbarian or ranger. He's a reptilian bugbear rogue. The ranger has a lot of nice stuff but I kinda like the barbarian also. He's going to be using a sword & shield. If I go with the ranger I'll use the shield & sword style in the Pathfinder Advanced Player's Guide:

Weapon and Shield
Improved Shield Bash, Shield Focus, Shield Slam and Two-Weapon Fighting.
At 6th level, he adds Saving Shield and Shield Master to the list.
At 10th level, he adds Bashing Finish and Greater Shield Focus to the list.

If I go barbarian it could be doable also I think.

I'm leaning more toward the ranger right now because he compliments the rogue skillwise, get spells & gets a pet. plus favored enemy & the free weapon fighting style.
The barbarian gets rage, uncanny dodge (which the rogue will get), a little DR and quite a bit more HPs than a ranger.

Thoughts, suggestions or recommendations?

ChaosStar
2020-10-01, 10:54 PM
Are you playing with LA buyoff? Cause your already losing 3 levels of Rogue Class Features due to your RHD.

eyebreaker7
2020-10-01, 11:03 PM
Bugbears have rogue as their favored class.

Venger
2020-10-01, 11:20 PM
Yes, but he means you have 3 hit dice of humanoid and 1 LA to deal with before you can take your first class level (and bugbear is aggressively not worth it) so is LA buyoff taking some of the sting out of it?

ChaosStar
2020-10-02, 12:04 AM
Yes, but he means you have 3 hit dice of humanoid and 1 LA to deal with before you can take your first class level (and bugbear is aggressively not worth it) so is LA buyoff taking some of the sting out of it?

The Reptilian Creature template adds +2 LA, so he's got 3 RHD and 3 LA. If he's not playing with LA buyoff then he's already losing 6 levels worth of abilities.

eyebreaker7
2020-10-03, 03:00 PM
We play using the LA adjustments. But I thought if using a creature, the lizardfolk for example, you just used the LA for determining the adjustment not INCLUDING the creatures HD ALSO? I thought that was already part of the reason for the LA +1?
But either way I wasn't even thinking about the creatures LA and trying to make him/her a rogue. That kinda ruins it. lol.

Venger
2020-10-03, 06:26 PM
No, you must add RHD, which also inflates your ECL.

GrayDeath
2020-10-03, 07:49 PM
We play using the LA adjustments. But I thought if using a creature, the lizardfolk for example, you just used the LA for determining the adjustment not INCLUDING the creatures HD ALSO? I thought that was already part of the reason for the LA +1?
But either way I wasn't even thinking about the creatures LA and trying to make him/her a rogue. That kinda ruins it. lol.

Sadly

No, you must add RHD, which also inflates your ECL.

This.

There are reasons why, even if the group uses LA Buyoff, most templates/Races are considered "hot Garbage". :smallwink:
Given you did not know this, and the plethora of threads you have been opening for this one round, how about you and your DM sit down and clarify what kind of game is intended, and other pre Game stuff. Lets hope HE(SHE knows whats what btb, or it could go downward pretty quickly.

But not to sound too negative.

Doing the above saves you time and effort of opening mor ethreads, and allows you to concentrate on "milking us" for the truly important stuff. ^^

As you will very likely hear more tha enough opinions about how good your chosen Stuff is, even after you know how it works. ^^