PDA

View Full Version : Affiliation that grants 1/day suppress/ignore/remove ability ability?

gawwy
2020-10-03, 02:23 AM
I might just be going crazy, but I rememeber there being an affiliation that granted a weird ability suppression/removal ability usable 1/day.

Thought it was the paragnotic assembly, but apparently not.

Help a guy out?

EDIT: found it:
Complete Champion p.36, Knowledge Domain Affiliation
Rank 1, affiliation Score 4-12: Student: Choose a Knowledge skill in which you have at least 1 rank. Unchangeably and Henceforth Gain a +2 bonus on checks with that skill.
Rank 5 Affiliation Score 30: Scholar: Once per day, negate a single ability of an enemy creature that you’ve discovered using a successful Knowledge check. This effect lasts for 1 minute and is a supernatural ability. The creature can attempt a Fortitude save (DC 10 + your character level + your Int modifier) to negate this effect.

daremetoidareyo has a mini handbook on affiliations found here : https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=21685378&postcount=11

Are there any other abilities that are remotely similar to this?

sreservoir
2020-10-03, 04:48 AM
It's probably not really similar in the way you want, but I'd like to draw attention to the rank 4 (30+) magic domain affiliation benefit:

Once per day, counter a spell without a readied action, and without having the same spell ready to cast, provided you succeed on a Spellcraft check to identify the spell as normal.

Since it's in Complete Champion (i.e. well after the introduction of swifts and immediates) and expressly waives the action required, you don't even need to argue about whether the battlemagic perception counterspell should really be an immediate action. You can probably even do it while flat-footed, since the only reason you can't normally is not having the action. It's a pretty solid defense when a good number of the most impactful single actions an enemy can take are spells with components. You do need to be entitled to make the check to identify the spell in the first place, but that's pretty orthogonal to most other defenses vs spells.

Kind of a pain in the ass to qualify for without writing some evangelism into the backstory, though.